HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

View Poll Results: Will the Coyotes add another scorer?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 19 27.94%
Maybe a 10-15 goal guy 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Check out the newest Desert Dog Blog on the Yotes website about 3/4ths of the way down the page.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=phx-home-dl
Quote:
While General Manager Don Maloney continues to look for quality players and deals that make sense, there is no rush to make a move. In fact, it is extremely unlikely that the Coyotes will sign any more free agents until after the team's ownership situation has been resolved next month.
Sucks. Is it 100% that the ownership situation will actually be "resolved" next month?

Old
08-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Sucks. Is it 100% that the ownership situation will actually be "resolved" next month?
No. Not with injunctions and appeals and so on, and so on...

But you've got to be happy with the slimmed down "quicker" Peter Mueller.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
No. Not with injunctions and appeals and so on, and so on...
That's what I figured. Let's hope Kyle Turris is ready to break-out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
But you've got to be happy with the slimmed down "quicker" Peter Mueller.
Yeah, losing excess bulk really, really helped Shane Doan take his game to the next level. Let's hope it has the same effect on Pete.

Old
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Could Don Maloney be taking the same approach? Maybe see what MacLean, Turris, Porter, ect. bring to camp, and if it's not going to cut it, then go out and grab another vet?
I think this is what he's doing.

I think they are at least going to give Turris and Porter a shot at making it. Especially the former, after all the unnecessary abuse they subjected him last year when he simply wasn't ready to lace it up with men.

If Turris doesn't step up into that 2nd line position, i could see Hanzal given 2nd line duties and Porter anchoring a third line checking role. If MacLean happens to make it (i'm not holding my breath) and is slotted on the top two lines, then its a moot point - we'll have 3 full lines with only 1 rookie and 1 sophmore on those lines - not so bad, and much better compared to the last 2 years when we had a boatload of rookies/sophmore on the top lines.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Out on the main board I proposed Nick Ross, CGY's '10 1st & PHI's '11 2nd for Patrice Bergeron.

A few Boston fans said that they liked my offer the most out of the ones in the rest of the "Value Of" thread some Leafs fan started. They said they liked it the most but still probably wouldn't pull the trigger. I wonder what Phoenix fans would say if such a deal went down.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. It's certainly a lot to give up for a gamble like Bergeron. Both the risk and reward on the kid is HUGE. I mean, he was looking like he was going to turn into a a really special player. Possibly a consistant 90+ points, heart and soul, gritty, captain, with tremmendous two-way checking ability. I mean he was putting up 70 points a season, and bringing all the intangibles in spades, as a twenty and twenty one year old. Obviously he'd have improved a lot from being twenty and twenty one, right? He may get another concussion twenty games into next season and never play again. Fear of injury may have reduced him to the player we saw last season. Then again, he's only twenty four. He may recover and realize that potential he had. Which would be a top ten center in this league. Talk about boom/bust. In the end, I think I might pull the trigger. This team is due some good luck. If he busted, we'd be out some decent picks, and that would sting. It wouldn't be our undoing, though. If he boomed, it could be what saves the franchise.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Coyote_Fan

With the concussion issue not with a 10' pole. Kessel sure but not Bergeron.

Old
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Hordichuk_24

Getting anything for Nick Ross would be a good move for the Coyotes.

I feel bad saying that about him as he's a real nice kid but he's a very frustrating player to watch.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:55 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
With the concussion issue not with a 10' pole. Kessel sure but not Bergeron.
I'd sooner make that deal for Bergeron than Kessel.

Bergeron is a guy that has all the tools and the tool box. He does carry a lot of risk due to injury, but his potential is amazing. When healthy, he is a fantastic play maker and a really terrific player in all aspects of the game, save hitting. He could be the next Nagy, but I doubt it because he has produced more, shown more and has more potential than Nagy ever had.

I am not really sold on Kessel. Kessel has a few amazing physical tools and an empty head. He is already a contract headache because he thinks his goal totals are all that matters even if he has huge holes in his game. I am also not sure he can even put up those goal totals away from the gifted play makers he has been matched with in Boston.
And he has one ball! Why can't I help myself? I am ashamed.

Shameful jokes aside. rt, I would take your deal. To point, Ross is a risk to range from a second pairing guy to a minor league player. The picks are what they are. Bergeron is a risk but one worth taking. It's all a throw of the dice.

The question is: do the Bruins think they are better off with Kessel because they had success without risky Bergeron last year or do they think they are better off keeping Bergeron because Kessel is an all-around headache that doesn't fit the mold? If Boston prefers keeping Bergeron and calling Kessel expendable, they probably think twice but turn down that deal. If Boston really wants Kessel and considers Bergeron expendable then it is a pretty good deal that clears cap space and might be beat on the open market, but probably not.

I really have no idea.

Old
08-20-2009, 03:23 AM
RR

Quote:
Out on the main board I proposed Nick Ross, CGY's '10 1st & PHI's '11 2nd for Patrice Bergeron.

A few Boston fans said that they liked my offer the most out of the ones in the rest of the "Value Of" thread some Leafs fan started. They said they liked it the most but still probably wouldn't pull the trigger. I wonder what Phoenix fans would say if such a deal went down.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. It's certainly a lot to give up for a gamble like Bergeron. Both the risk and reward on the kid is HUGE. I mean, he was looking like he was going to turn into a a really special player. Possibly a consistant 90+ points, heart and soul, gritty, captain, with tremmendous two-way checking ability. I mean he was putting up 70 points a season, and bringing all the intangibles in spades, as a twenty and twenty one year old. Obviously he'd have improved a lot from being twenty and twenty one, right? He may get another concussion twenty games into next season and never play again. Fear of injury may have reduced him to the player we saw last season. Then again, he's only twenty four. He may recover and realize that potential he had. Which would be a top ten center in this league. Talk about boom/bust. In the end, I think I might pull the trigger. This team is due some good luck. If he busted, we'd be out some decent picks, and that would sting. It wouldn't be our undoing, though. If he boomed, it could be what saves the franchise.
I wouldn't hesitate one second to pull that trigger. With OEL, Ahnelov, Gonhcarov and Summers we have plenty of young D depth. Trading Flames 1st next year and Philly's 2nd the following year still leaves us a 1st in 2010 and 2nd in 2011.
Picks are great, but I prefer the odds of Bergeron staying healthy and panning out than finding someone like him within the package we'd be giving up.

Old
08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Kaibur

There's a couple things that make me kind of leary about that trade, beyond questions of Bergeron's durability. For one, Boston probably wouldn't make that trade until November or so, when it would become more pressing to get Kessel signed. That means we'd be giving up that package for less than two years of Bergeron's services [I]at best[I] (barring a re-signing). Although his cap hit is only $4.75, his pay is $5 and $5.75 for this season and next, which is a pretty hefty price tag for someone with a lower output last season and questions about his long term health (although great potential for return to form and excellent all round game). He might be a better fit than Kessel for the Yotes current roster however, so I understand where the motivation would come from.

Two questions I have though. RT, when I asked you about strategy for acquisitions, either heading toward lottery pick or playoff spot, you said a blockbuster wasn't really necessary to head toward playoff contender. This is more blockbuster-ish. So if you could find a fit like this, would you rather go this route? If we're going blockbuster route, I'd rather make a run at Kessel who is an RFA, which we would control a little longer. If we're avoiding the blockbuster trade angle, I'd continue to aim for Tanguay and if that doesn't work out, maybe settling for Comrie would at least keep us competitive enough to have a shot at the playoffs.

Secondly, why are folks down on Nick Ross? He put up solid numbers in his WHL career, worked on different aspects of his game, doesn't seem to have any attitude or work ethic issues and is fairly close along the timeline. From the little bit I've ever seen of him, there was nothing to make me think he wasn't a pretty solid two way defensive prospect.

Old
08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
PhoPhan

Nick Ross, in spite of his numbers, seems to have issues with urgency. That is, he doesn't appear to play particularly hard. This could be just a deceivingly composed playing style, or it could be genuine aloofness. It could go either way at this point, but he's by no means a lock.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:01 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Nick Ross, in spite of his numbers, seems to have issues with urgency. That is, he doesn't appear to play particularly hard. This could be just a deceivingly composed playing style, or it could be genuine aloofness. It could go either way at this point, but he's by no means a lock.
Why is it that on a team with guys like Doaner and Jovo - veterans that should be able to spark intensity in their teamates - that we have so much of this on this team (and a history of it with guys like Nagy and Comrie)??

Old
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nagy was always very intense, until injuries struck. I thought Comrie always gave a very good effort, too. Before he was traded he was the only guy on the entire team willing to go hard to the net. I'm pretty sure he was the leading scorer, at the time, too, as Doan was having one of his notoriously slow starts.

Old
08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Two questions I have though. RT, when I asked you about strategy for acquisitions, either heading toward lottery pick or playoff spot, you said a blockbuster wasn't really necessary to head toward playoff contender. This is more blockbuster-ish. So if you could find a fit like this, would you rather go this route? If we're going blockbuster route, I'd rather make a run at Kessel who is an RFA, which we would control a little longer.
I am just guessing that it would cost more to get Kessel, in terms of assets.

Quote:
If we're avoiding the blockbuster trade angle, I'd continue to aim for Tanguay and if that doesn't work out, maybe settling for Comrie would at least keep us competitive enough to have a shot at the playoffs.
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe Comrie or maybe Dom Moore, depending on what type we want to get. Either I would only take on a one-year, though. I like the idea of Hanzal with Mueller and Vrbata. I like the idea of Doan with Lombardi and Upshall. I could see the benefit of either Moore or Comrie with guys like Prucha and Boedker, on a lower line. Moore is certainly better with the face-offs, and the PKing, but does have some offensive upside. Comrie, if his hip is healed, I think could have a great offensive season with guys like Prucha(great goal scoring potential) and Boedker(great playmaking potential). I'd probably be okay with either guy if either was willing to accept two million or less on a one year deal. Apart from that, I'd be pretty pleased if we were able to trade for Matt Stajan, who I think could be a great fit either on a Mueller-Doan line or the Prucha-Boedker line. Maybe CGY's 1st for Stajan and TOR's 3rd(to replace the one we gave to CGY). Then, maybe TOR re-signs Dom Moore? I don't know.

Doan-Stajan-Mueller
Upshall-Lombardi-Boedker
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata

or

Upshall-Lombardi-Doan
Mueller-Hanzal-Vrbata
Prucha-Comrie/Moore/Stajan-Boedker

Last edited by rt: 08-20-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Secondly, why are folks down on Nick Ross? He put up solid numbers in his WHL career, worked on different aspects of his game, doesn't seem to have any attitude or work ethic issues and is fairly close along the timeline. From the little bit I've ever seen of him, there was nothing to make me think he wasn't a pretty solid two way defensive prospect.
I assume you haven't seen Ross play very much? He certainly has issues with work ethic and has been criticized for it in the past. In my opinion Nick Ross has regressed since his draft year. I thought he had a lot of potential at one point but ever since being traded to Kamloops and then Vancouver he's really struggled. One minute he'll look like a solid prospect and the very next you wonder how he was even drafted. If you think Jovanovski is a turn over machine, just watch Nick Ross for a few games. Bone headed decisions in the defensive zone is his forte.

Old
08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A slightly interesting proposal on the main board from a caps fan...

To PHX:
Nylander
Erskine

To WSH:
Vandermeer

...the defensemen are pretty much a wash, but Erskine makes a million less per year than Vandermeer, and the two are both signed for the next two seasonss. Nylander is owed five and a half million, next season, and three million the season after, the final year of his contract. So essentially, it's Nylander for four and a half million this year and two million next year, without having to give anything up. Most Washington fans seem convinced that he's still a very good player, but just can't play for Bruce Boudreau. They all seem to think he'll have success, elsewhere. I don't know if they are full of it, or not, but I guess our pro scouts would probably have an opinion. Still, there are probably gambles that are just as good that cost less. I wonder if we might even be able to get Washington to sweeten the pot, a bit. Their fans will freak out at the idea of it, but it could be possible. Maybe get that third rounder back we lost in the Jokinen deal. Turns out to be Olli for Lombardi, Nylander, Erskine, and a 1st.

Old
08-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Tanguay is not a possibility anymore...

He apparently signed with the Bolts, pending a physical. (according to TSN)

Old
08-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I wouldnt say that he's not a possibility anymore. Considering the carousel they have going on in Tampa, look for Maloney to pick him up next year for scrubs

Old
08-29-2009, 03:24 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Who? Gave up that ghost a long time ago. Give me Mike Comrie.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Matzel

Quote:
Give me Mike Comrie.
Ugh.

Old
08-29-2009, 01:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
Ugh.
If the hip is healed, he's a LOCK for fifty points. That would've been good enough for second in team scoring, last season. His first full season in Phoenix he scored 30-30-60. The next year, before that idiot Mike Barnett traded him for nothing, I believe he was leading our team in scoring, with twenty points in twenty four games. If memory serves, Shane Doan was off to one of his old slow starts. Comrie was the only guy on the team willing to go to the net, at the time. In seasons where he doesn't miss significant time(15-20 games), he's a lock for fifty points. His career points per game average is .64. If you scrap his rookie season, where he came in mid way through the year, he's played seven NHL seasons(I'm going to count the year he only played half a season due to the hold-out). In those seven seasons he's scored at least thirty goals twice. He's scored at least twenty goals another three times. He's scored at least sixty points twice, and had an additional fifty point season. He also had fourty nine and fourty five points, in two injury shortened seasons. So, in seven seasons he's scored at least twenty or thirty goals in all but two. Those two being the hold-out year, where he only played half a season, and last year. Last year was a terrible year for Comrie. He played the first part of the season for the league's worst team. The latter part of the season he was playing in that soap opera up in Ottawa. He had a bum hip that caused him to miss nearly twenty games. I'm sure the injury had lingering effects, even once he returned, as he's had surgery since. Those are the only two years he's failed to score at least twenty goals, if you don't count his rookie season where he only played fourty games. So the only two years I'm counting are a year where he held out half the season, and last year, with a bum hip on garbage teams. If he's healthy, he's a LOCK for 20-30-50.

EDIT: I posted the same thing in the actual off-season stickied thread. I guess since Tanguay has signed in Tampa, this thread can die.

Last edited by rt: 08-29-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old
08-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Matzel

Quote:
If the hip is healed, he's a LOCK for fifty points. That would've been good enough for second in team scoring, last season. His first full season in Phoenix he scored 30-30-60. The next year, before that idiot Mike Barnett traded him for nothing, I believe he was leading our team in scoring, with twenty points in twenty four games. If memory serves, Shane Doan was off to one of his old slow starts. Comrie was the only guy on the team willing to go to the net, at the time. In seasons where he doesn't miss significant time(15-20 games), he's a lock for fifty points. His career points per game average is .64. If you scrap his rookie season, where he came in mid way through the year, he's played seven NHL seasons(I'm going to count the year he only played half a season due to the hold-out). In those seven seasons he's scored at least thirty goals twice. He's scored at least twenty goals another three times. He's scored at least sixty points twice, and had an additional fifty point season. He also had fourty nine and fourty five points, in two injury shortened seasons. So, in seven seasons he's scored at least twenty or thirty goals in all but two. Those two being the hold-out year, where he only played half a season, and last year. Last year was a terrible year for Comrie. He played the first part of the season for the league's worst team. The latter part of the season he was playing in that soap opera up in Ottawa. He had a bum hip that caused him to miss nearly twenty games. I'm sure the injury had lingering effects, even once he returned, as he's had surgery since. Those are the only two years he's failed to score at least twenty goals, if you don't count his rookie season where he only played fourty games. So the only two years I'm counting are a year where he held out half the season, and last year, with a bum hip on garbage teams. If he's healthy, he's a LOCK for 20-30-50.
I guess the only thing Comrie might not be able to do is walk on water...

There is a reason why this guy doesn't stick with any team for long. He is a perimeter player with one trick (toe drag), who vanishes when the going gets tough, plays no defense (to speak of) and gets knocked off the puck way too easily.

He is inconsistent in all areas of his game and is at best a poor choice for the second line centre position. With Lombo on the top line, Mueller on the second, Hanzal on the third and Fiddler on the fourth... where does Comrie fit in? He has played LW... where we have Doan, Upshall, Prucha and Korpikoski.

IMHO, signing Comrie is redundant as he does not bring anything to the team that we don't already have, while making the team weaker defensively.

What this team really needs is a legit top line sniper to go with Doan and Lombo. Comrie seems like a bad fit for that.

Old
08-29-2009, 04:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel View Post
I guess the only thing Comrie might not be able to do is walk on water...

There is a reason why this guy doesn't stick with any team for long. He is a perimeter player with one trick (toe drag), who vanishes when the going gets tough, plays no defense (to speak of) and gets knocked off the puck way too easily.

He is inconsistent in all areas of his game and is at best a poor choice for the second line centre position. With Lombo on the top line, Mueller on the second, Hanzal on the third and Fiddler on the fourth... where does Comrie fit in? He has played LW... where we have Doan, Upshall, Prucha and Korpikoski.

IMHO, signing Comrie is redundant as he does not bring anything to the team that we don't already have, while making the team weaker defensively.

What this team really needs is a legit top line sniper to go with Doan and Lombo. Comrie seems like a bad fit for that.
Psst...other thread.

Closed Thread