HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

playing with a shorter stick

Old
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
It's not an opinion, it's a fact that I am arguing. A shorter stick will NOT force you into proper skating technique. Proper skating technique(ie practice, power skating classes, etc) will teach you proper skating technique. You're telling me that cutting your stick a couple of inches is going to get these guys to skate correctly? You're giving them incorrect information and you are HURTING their ability to get better. One power skating class is going to help your skating a whole lot more than taking a hacksaw to your stick.
I think what he's saying is playing with a shorter stick will help, not be a main component to good technique. Cutting the stick short, depending on lie, will require you to modify your stance to keep the blade on the ice properly (Which, I assume, you know). You can do this a few ways: A) bend the knees, B) lean forward C) hold the stick really high, with the hands closer together. After learning proper skating technique from a power skating lesson, you learn to keep your center of gravity low, knees bent, and long/deep stride. Using a shorter stick, in essence, will help you accomplish this.

But, you can accomplish a deep knee bend with a long stick too, so it's up to the skater and stick.

What do I think? Use what's comfortable. Take a skating lesson, improve your skating as much as your body will allow, then use a stick that compliments that style. If you can stick handle like Datsyuk and prefer a a defenseman's stick, go for it. if you're having difficulty staying low or remembering to stay low, try a shorter stick, it might help the CoG.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I use a stick right lined up with my chin. Works just fine for me. I've used all sizes though. For D I use one up to my eyes, on offense I use it to my chin and sometimes my shoulder.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
I've always used a stick that comes up to my adam's apple with skates on, about my mouth with skates off.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
I've always used a stick that comes up to my adam's apple with skates on, about my mouth with skates off.
thats, about what i use

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:05 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
It's not an opinion, it's a fact that I am arguing. A shorter stick will NOT force you into proper skating technique. Proper skating technique(ie practice, power skating classes, etc) will teach you proper skating technique. You're telling me that cutting your stick a couple of inches is going to get these guys to skate correctly? You're giving them incorrect information and you are HURTING their ability to get better. One power skating class is going to help your skating a whole lot more than taking a hacksaw to your stick.
Well you will need to adjust your form to fit to a shorter stick. Some players will bend their knees more, some players will stickhandle closer to their body, and some players will lean forward more or bend their backs.

Ideally everybody would get the stride right.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Oh and I use two different stick lengths:

My One90 is up to my nose without skates. About my chin with.
My One70 is up to my chin (just below) off skates, around the Adam's apple/collar on skates.

Both have the PM9 blade.

I am going to pick up a 5030 Coffey curve and play full length with it to see how it is.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
slade

notable players with long sticks- bure, lemieux, datsyuk, ovechkin, semin, kane, jagr
notable players with short sticks- crosby, gretzky, wellwood (ultra short)

all depends on preference. players with longer sticks tend to have better posture and their head up more often from what ive seen. a shorter stick has made me hunch over more often- so ive switched.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:26 AM
saveourpens

no doubt, a shorter stick helps with your stickhandling. Hell, I got a hold of some of Gonchars sticks. I could not believe how short they were. They were up to my chin (how I like it), but hes like 4 inches taller than me.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Well you will need to adjust your form to fit to a shorter stick. Some players will bend their knees more, some players will stickhandle closer to their body, and some players will lean forward more or bend their backs.

Ideally everybody would get the stride right.
Exactly, the problem is that MOST will extend their arms and bend at the waist to adjust. You need to teach proper skating technique FIRST, then a shorter stick might result from the skating technique. Once you have the skating technique down, the wear pattern on the tape along the bottom of the blade may change, in that case the player can adjust the lie or length for the best results.

The shorter stick doesn't work for everyone, that's why there are guys that use lower lies and/or have bigger rockers on their patterns(I'm talking pros here).

My point is that he has stated that the shorter stick will force you into a deeper knee bend, that is incorrect. By that thinking, if you give a guy with a deep knee bend a longer stick, then he/she will skate without a deep knee bend... that doesn't happen. What happens? They miss a lot of pucks under the toe at first, then they adjust their HAND placement to accept the puck.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Tinkeric

Howie Meeker, a famous Canadian coach back in the day, has a website with a bunch of photos of stars -- Gretzky, Crosby, Sakic, etc. -- and their short sticks. The website makes an interesting case for cutting sticks to collar-bone length.

http://cuthockeysticks.com/

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:15 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
The stick length will help you with proper skating posture. It's ok to skate hunched over, John Tonelli ( circa 1980's) played for the Islanders use to play forward like that all the time.

It's just that the proper stick length will allow you or maybe force you to keep that deep knee bend close to 90 degree. More knee bend means more power in your stride.

I don't care if you have a long stick, go ahead and place your arms out longer, the defensemen will love you for it.

Yeah, and I know that once you have been skating with a longer stick it's hard to change and yes I know it's a personal preference. It probably while you were growing up, your coach didn't teach you for correct you for the proper length of a stcik.

Oh, don't feel bad, I see that all the time. I get a Peewee on the ice that has problems, we cut his stick and the problem areas go away.

As for you, yes maybe it's too late to have you change. But it's ok, you will still be able to play like that.

Head coach
I want to thank you. I'm a 5ft 5in player who switches game to game between defense and wing and have thought I gained a reach advantage in having a longer stick. I just had mine shortened so it comes up to my chin and I can see a big improvement in puck control. I think all my sticks have a 6 lie and a much greater part of the stick blade comes in contact with the ice now. Not to mention, a shorter stick is a lighter stick.

I have to say, though, that I tried using a short stick when I started playing pickup hockey and it definitely wasn't for me. I didn't have proper skating form then and probably didn't have the muscle strength to skate in a crouch position anyway. As a result I'd hunch over as I skated and my lower back would be too sore to play before the half hour mark. A longer stick allowed me to stand straighter and provide relief. Of course the further the blade was from my body the less direct pressure I could assert on the shaft making it harder to put power in my shot and easier for opponents to lift my stick.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:59 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Little OT but Zubrus has never played for the Islanders.

And stick length is totally personal preference. I shoot better with a short stick and stickhandle better with a long stick. That's totally opposite of most people, go figure.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Stiller

Playing with a long stick requires much more skill than playing with a shorter one.
Sure, you will benefit from the extra reach, but if you don't have great hands and are unable to handle the puck close to your skates with the long stick, you are better of playing with a shorter one. As your skill level improves you can gradually move to longer sticks, but its very difficult (if not impossible) to move directly from a short to long stick succesfully.

This is coming from someone who has no illusions and plays with a collar bone length stick .

Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Little OT but Zubrus has never played for the Islanders.

And stick length is totally personal preference. I shoot better with a short stick and stickhandle better with a long stick. That's totally opposite of most people, go figure.
Thank you...I stand corrected. It is the New Jersey Devils.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:03 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I've never been a coach, just a player for about half my life. I normally use a skate to almost my mouth in skates, but have used sticks 3-4" shorter sometimes. Here's my take on it, I probably did bend my knees a little bit more, but it made no difference to me, since I normally do that anyway. I noticed a real decease in poke-checking and catching farther away passes though.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's just that a lot of kids read the forum that are trying to get ahead in their hockey career. You have already made it to the NHL and are at the top of your game.
Hahahaha, the sheer audacity of this quote made me laugh.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
SiCKNESS

I have two pretty big sticks, both are about my size, i really like longer stick because they are great to break up plays and check, also great for the deking(For Me).

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 10:21 PM
BLKHKhockey

I put a 4.5 inch plug in my SR sticks and I don't see anything wrong with it. My stick handling is above average IMO, and i I love my reach with the long sticks. What's the punishment for getting caught with an illegal stick? 2 min minor?

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHKhockey View Post
I put a 4.5 inch plug in my SR sticks and I don't see anything wrong with it. My stick handling is above average IMO, and i I love my reach with the long sticks. What's the punishment for getting caught with an illegal stick? 2 min minor?
And you can't use your stick anymore.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Ok, then let me make a recommendation. Cut your stick so that it is at your chin, and if it's one of the high end sticks, ok, don't cut it. For a test, go out and get you a wooden stick, cut it, and then see how it feels. Play with it for 30 day only and then see if it helps your game. Every Ice rink in the world will have them laying around...I do. I have 10 wooden stick here at the rink for anyone to use. See if you can find one and cut to meet your chin (skates on) or nose (skates off)

If it doesn't improve your game, go back to playing with a longer stick. If it does improve your game in skating and in shooting...then change.

Head coach

Headcoach, you, for the most part, post extremly helpful posts.

This time it is a fail though.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
BLKHKhockey

For those of you who also use plugs, how big is your plug in your stick? JW

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The majority or NHL forwards use a stick that comes up to about their chin or shorter, the majority of dmen are about their nose.

Mine is well below my chine. I used to use one to my bottom lip and then cut about 1/4 of an inch each stick for a couple years and I've like each more than the last. I think the best spot is right around the chin. For you guys that say you have good stick handling with a long stick believe me cut an inch or two and within a month you will never want to go back.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I tried Heachcoach's advice near the end of this past season, and I felt my game improved quite abit but I just couldn't finish at all.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Well, the stick should come to the bottom of your chin with your skates on and to the bottom of your nose with your skates off. This is the proper placement.

I have been known to know Russians that use their stick at the collar bone. This will force you to keep that deep knee bend to catch that puck.

But for you, the bottom your your chin with your skates on, is the correct length.

Head coach
I have mine where you said it should be and like it very much. I experimented with a longer stick and liked the reach it had as I am a defensive forward but disliked how much it took away from shooting the puck.

I went back to where I have always had it which is the length you said here and I get the perfect shooting fulcrum. I can't stick handle for crap anyway besides the normal average stick handling no matter the length to be honest .... you know the defensive forward types with the heavy shot eh?

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I keep going back to a stick that's about an inch below my chin on skates. My stickhandling, passing, and shooting are all best at that length. Any longer and my accuracy goes to crap, and any shorter and I start missing pucks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote