HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lang being offered a tryout?

Old
08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
You didn't say that but habsfans333 did and I felt like you were backing him up on his post.

I didn't mean to make a big discussion about points, I know very well that is very missleading sometimes. I just responded on his post about Lapierres lack of points and told him that I didn't thought it was that bad.

Whether we sign Lang or not I think Lapierre should be centering our 3rd line.
Agreed. To demote Lapierre after the season he had is a kick to the nuts.

Lang really liked the team and showed up and kept visiting the guys after his injury.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Just me speculating. I speculate he's been offered to attend the camp, and hasn't refused. If he doesn't get another NHL offer, I think you might see him in Canadiens camp.
I hope you are correct. At a low price this guy is all win.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Agreed. To demote Lapierre after the season he had is a kick to the nuts.

Lang really liked the team and showed up and kept visiting the guys after his injury.
Not it isn't. Lapierre was given way too much ice time last year because our top lines weren't working.

Having Lang centering the 4th line would be useless.

Lapierre is a role player, whether it's on the 3rd or 4th line, he has the grinder role.

A fourth line doted of Moen/Lappy/Stewart-Laraque can be very effective.
I think a 3rd line consisting of Lang(considering he's as good as last year) instead of Lapierre will produce more, which is what counts most.

I'm just not convinced that Lapierre can improve his offensive production from last year. I think it's as good as it gets for him and I don't want to waste offensive talent like Lats by his side.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
McNuts

It says in this article that Price's personal coach is the Senator's goalie coach.

"Ok Carey, rule number 1: always make the first move"

Gosh

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not it isn't. Lapierre was given way too much ice time last year because our top lines weren't working.

Having Lang centering the 4th line would be useless.

Lapierre is a role player, whether it's on the 3rd or 4th line, he has the grinder role.

A fourth line doted of Moen/Lappy/Stewart-Laraque can be very effective.
I think a 3rd line consisting of Lang(considering he's as good as last year) instead of Lapierre will produce more, which is what counts most.

I'm just not convinced that Lapierre can improve his offensive production from last year. I think it's as good as it gets for him and I don't want to waste offensive talent like Lats by his side.
Make Lang, or Pleks play wing.

Old
08-29-2009, 05:54 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Lang is too slow to play the wing, and Plekanec won't go anywhere close to the corner. Lapierre would fit much better as a winger.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Lang is too slow to play the wing, and Plekanec won't go anywhere close to the corner. Lapierre would fit much better as a winger.
Cams, gio, gomez
kosts Lang
LAts, laps and pleks
moen, stewart/laraque, metro/chips ?

Old
08-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Quote:
Cams, gio, gomez
kosts Lang
LAts, laps and pleks
moen, stewart/laraque, metro/chips ?
Do you honestly feel like these lines would be the best possible??..I don't think you do.

Gomez-Gionta-Lats (or A.Kost)
Plek-Camm-A.Kost
Lang-S.Kost-D'Ago or MaxPac (A.Kost could very well find himself there too and put MaxPac with Plek/Camm)
Lappy-Moen-Stewart/Laraque

These lines look more promising.

Old
08-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Mike Cammalleri
Guillaume Latendresse - Robert Lang - Sergeï Kostitsyn
Glen Metropolit - Maxim Lapierre - Travis Moen

extras: Georges Laraque (replace Metropolit in games against tougher teams), Matt D'Agostini (if Kostitsyn or Pacioretty go into long slumps)
in Hamilton: Kyle Chipchura and Greg Stewart (will get a few calls up injuries or not)

That's one bad-ass lineup Do it Bob!
In this case i believe Metropolite would be waived, no way he,s a healty scratch on a regular basis.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Do you honestly feel like these lines would be the best possible??..I don't think you do.

Plek-Camm-A.Kost
Lang-S.Kost-D'Ago or MaxPac (A.Kost could very well find himself there too and put MaxPac with Plek/Camm)

I believe someone quoted Martin (can't remember where) saying he wants duos that work well together. Well, Gio and gomer and the kost bros along with Lang worked really well last year.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I believe someone quoted Martin (can't remember where) saying he wants duos that work well together. Well, Gio and gomer and the kost bros along with Lang worked really well last year.
As we learned last year, it's not because it worked one season that it will again the following one. Plek/A.Kost/Kovy are the perfect example.

Next year will be a new season with many young players that will have grown some more. New duos might arise, some old ones might blossom.
1-Gomez-Gionta might rekindle their magic.
2-The Kost broz might finally develop into a solid consistent duo.
3-Plek-Camm might find some chemistry.
4-Lats-Laps might find success again (although I feel like Laps would be limiting the offensive success of Lats)
5-Stewart-Laraque found a good aggressivity level together

Add the complimentary players to each of those duos.

1- You could add MaxPac or D'Ago.
2- You could add Lang to center them.
3- You could add one of MaxPac or D'Ago.
4- You could add Moen.
5- You could add Lapierre ideally. Then you have Metro or Chipper.

A bunch of duos can be complemented differently. New duos that we aren't thinking off could possibly flourish too.

Old
08-29-2009, 09:40 PM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Skill was maybe wrong word to use, but I really think he deserves a spot in the 3rd line. Lapierre was a beast in every single game last year and I can't believe you want him on our 4th line with limited icetime.

15 goals for a 3rd line center without PP-time is very good, his +9 rating (3rd in the entire team) makes it even better.

Lapierre made 25 points in even strength, 12 goals. Kovalev, our top-scorer, scored 14 goals...
If we do run 3 scoring lines and have Lapierre on the 4th line I don't think it would limit his ice time.
I'm sure he would still get alot of PK time, maybe more now that Kovalev is gone, it depends on how Martin plays the new guys.
And as for even strength, with 3 scoring lines, the way I see it, the line that isn't playing well would be the line getting the least minutes.
Our 4th line would probably be getting matched up with the other teams top line, and would also be put on the ice to generate some momentum when needed.

Honestly I can see where you guys are coming from saying that we might be wasting Lapierre's offensive abilities on the fourth line, but I always felt that he generated most of his scoring chances on his own.
I remember when people used to complain about his tunnel vision and how he always used to shoot the puck coming over the line.
What I'm trying to say is his offensive skills aren't playmaking, so having him on a line with guys like Moen, Laraque, or Stewart won't hurt his offensive game because it's not like he would be setting up plays that they wouldn't be able to finish.

To sum up my point; Lapierre is a grinder with some offensive upside, but his upside isn't enough to make bringing Lang in a pointless effort. Lang's potential production exceeds Lapierre's point production ceiling imo.
So I think, if it's possible, we would be better off to bring in Lang and let Lapierre focus on his defensive game and PK play, and not give him the added pressure of producing offensively.
I think he's more valuable to the team if he's on the fourth line shutting down the other teams top offensive line, and getting under their skin, than if he's on the 3rd line and scoring a few more points.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400

I say why not, if he can still skate decently.

Plekanec is the perfect third line centre, so why not play him there. He would be a tenacious defensive centre who can score quickly on the transition/capitalizing on other teams' errors. We all saw last year he can not be looked at to provide consistent offense.

Cam-Gomez-Gionta
SKost-Lang-AKost
Lats-Plekanec-Lapierre
Moen-Metro/Chips-Stewart
--
Patches
D'Ago
Laraque

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
This would be great. No harm in bringing back a veteran with leadership. Hopefully the injury is healed 100%.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordicus View Post
In this case i believe Metropolite would be waived, no way he,s a healty scratch on a regular basis.
Metro could probably fetch a draft pick.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Teufelsdreck

I see both Lapierre and Plekanec as regulars on the Habs' first three lines. I doubt Lang can come all the way back from his injury, especially at his age. I thnk SKost will have to prove himself. He'll sitout a lot of games if he plays the way he did last year. There won't be many openings for him if Latendresse plays at LW and Pacioretty makes the team. Although SKost and d'Agostini don't play at the sameposition, d'Ago could take a roster spot away from him if he scores goals the way he did when he first came up.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 07:09 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Could be interesting. Wonder how they would fit him or who would be traded if he is in top shape?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
la25ecoupe

Lang at 2M would be good.

Cammy - Gomez - Gionta
SK - Lang - AK
Patches - Plek - Dags
Lats - Laps - Moen

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
So is there actually any reason to assume this is a real possibility, or that it has already happened? Or is this just another writer proposing an idea that everyone jumps on and that will disappear and be forgotten in about a week or two?

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 05:34 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta
Kostitsyn-Lang-Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Plekanec-Pacioretty
Stewart-Lapierre-Moen/D'Agostini/Laraque

I like.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Plek-Camm-A.Kost

In my opinion, Lang-SK-Dags would be among the softest lines in the NHL and a terrible combo for a 3rd line. Lang had a good season for us before the freak injury but he's older than the hills, coming off a major injury, doesn't play all that physical, and slower than molasses running up a hill....

Seriously, I like Langer but the offseason reshaping of the Habs roster to a younger, faster, grittier, more North American style of team should not include Robert Lang. Lapierre doesn't have Lang's offensive touch and vision but he's faster, grittier, much younger, and he's still improving. No Langer please.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
In my opinion, Lang-SK-Dags would be among the softest lines in the NHL and a terrible combo for a 3rd line. Lang had a good season for us before the freak injury but he's older than the hills, coming off a major injury, doesn't play all that physical, and slower than molasses running up a hill....

Seriously, I like Langer but the offseason reshaping of the Habs roster to a younger, faster, grittier, more North American style of team should not include Robert Lang. Lapierre doesn't have Lang's offensive touch and vision but he's faster, grittier, much younger, and he's still improving. No Langer please.
Those lines were just a simple possibility. There are many others.

Our team is better with Lang even if we re-shaped into a younger one. We need all the depth we can get at the center position. Lappy is good but his offensive upside is limited. If Plek or Gomez goes down, we will be in deep trouble if Lappy and Metro become our 2nd and 3rd centers.

Old
08-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

We could call-up Maxwell in risk of injuries.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

I would definitely take him. I loved Lang here last season.

But, one question.. Has Martin been known for being able to roll all 4 lines? Including 3 offensive lines?

Cammalleri- Gomez - Gionta
A Kostitsyn - Lang - S Kostitsyn
D'agostini - Plekanec - Pacioretty
Latendresse - Lapierre - Moen

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
We could call-up Maxwell in risk of injuries.
I know one summer can do a lot to a hockey player but Maxwell really looked out of place last year, remember? I say he'll be ready to assume a full-time job in NHL in one year

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote