HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with a hockey stick.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Semin

vCash: 500
Help with a hockey stick.

I've been using Easton sticks for a long time, but their never durable. Always cracking and what not. I was thinking of going a different route and buying a Nike Bauer stick, but they only come in 87 flex, and I always used 100 flex. I put lots into my shot. I'm pretty strong, would a 87 flex stick be worth it? Would it make my shot better or worse? or would I just break it easily?

I don't know if this matters but I'm 6'2, just a bit over 220 pounds.

Please reply back. It would definitely be appreciated.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
I've been using Easton sticks for a long time, but their never durable. Always cracking and what not. I was thinking of going a different route and buying a Nike Bauer stick, but they only come in 87 flex, and I always used 100 flex. I put lots into my shot. I'm pretty strong, would a 87 flex stick be worth it? Would it make my shot better or worse? or would I just break it easily?

Bauer has sticks up to 110 pro Flex that actually come with extra length for tall guys. The One95 is available like that for sure I have seen them. I am 6ft 4in 230lbs and would need that flex. if you cut a few inches off of the end it tells you the resulting flex and where i would cut it with this stick in particular I would have a 115 flex which matches the half my weight flex rule I use.

So yeah you have an option besides an 87 flex ... call around and ask about them at your local stores because i have seen the pro flex One95s that start at 110 flex and run longer for tall guys.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:56 PM
BLKHKhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Bauer has sticks up to 110 pro Flex that actually come with extra length for tall guys. The One95 is available like that for sure I have seen them. I am 6ft 4in 230lbs and would need that flex. if you cut a few inches off of the end it tells you the resulting flex and where i would cut it with this stick in particular I would have a 115 flex which matches the half my weight flex rule I use.

So yeah you have an option besides an 87 flex ... call around and ask about them at your local stores because i have seen the pro flex One95s that start at 110 flex and run longer for tall guys.
You're 6'4" and you cut your sticks? I'm about the same, but i add a 4.5 inch extension.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHKhockey View Post
You're 6'4" and you cut your sticks? I'm about the same, but i add a 4.5 inch extension.
The response I left says that the Bauer One95 comes with EXTRA length for TALL GUYS. Short people won't be buying them as they are FOR TALL GUYS ONLY.

If you add an extension you are lowering the flex also by the way. A 4.5" extension on most composite sticks is about "15" difference in the flex rating. So you would be turning a 100 flex into an 85 flex.

That's approximate by the way as the different companies vary slightly because of their choice of materials used to build the stick.

Old
08-30-2009, 04:46 AM
krax

I really don't get it anymore with this flex thing...

My boy is 10. He has been playing for a year with a mission hex-1, a high-end stick with flex 75. Everything's fine with this. He just received a Bauer XXX Pro stock with 102 flex from a pro player. We cut it down to his size, probably making it like flex 130 or something. His shots (wristers ans slappers) are better with the new stick. He says the flex feels the same. Shots probably take-off a little better because of the blade style.

Isn't this flex stuff overrated?

Only option is probably to try before you buy.

k.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:50 AM
CanadaBacon

Maybe he is just freakishly strong and a 75 flex is to pansy for him.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
I really don't get it anymore with this flex thing...

My boy is 10. He has been playing for a year with a mission hex-1, a high-end stick with flex 75. Everything's fine with this. He just received a Bauer XXX Pro stock with 102 flex from a pro player. We cut it down to his size, probably making it like flex 130 or something. His shots (wristers ans slappers) are better with the new stick. He says the flex feels the same. Shots probably take-off a little better because of the blade style.

Isn't this flex stuff overrated?

Only option is probably to try before you buy.

k.
Just a pure guess....but he prob isnt affected by flex at all because he is 10. I could be completely wrong, but I notice alot of kids around the rink at his age, very SKILLED kids, dont really put much of a flex in their shot at all, its mostly in their arms and wrists versus putting their weight behind it. That is my GUESS as to why your kid isnt affected at all by the huge flex change.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Just a pure guess....but he prob isnt affected by flex at all because he is 10. I could be completely wrong, but I notice alot of kids around the rink at his age, very SKILLED kids, dont really put much of a flex in their shot at all, its mostly in their arms and wrists versus putting their weight behind it. That is my GUESS as to why your kid isnt affected at all by the huge flex change.
Judge by yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpIdx7pSPvY

The third slapper with the 102 went into the neighbor's garden, who doesn't like blending pucks with his mower . That's why the next shots are affected and hit the target low in the middle

He doesn't like junior sticks with flex 50/60 at all. I am just trying to say that different flexes can feel similar.

k.

Old
08-30-2009, 03:18 PM
raganblink

Quote:
Judge by yourself:

The third slapper with the 102 went into the neighbor's garden, who doesn't like blending pucks with his mower . That's why the next shots are affected and hit the target low in the middle

He doesn't like junior sticks with flex 50/60 at all. I am just trying to say that different flexes can feel similar.

k.
not bad for 10.. but your kid needs to stop shooting dead middle. accuracy>power. once you get accuracy down, accuracy + power = lethal. maybe spray paint quarter cirlces in all four corners? also id add a backdrop to that so pucks if they sail wont go into next yard

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:52 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
not bad for 10.. but your kid needs to stop shooting dead middle. accuracy>power. once you get accuracy down, accuracy + power = lethal. maybe spray paint quarter cirlces in all four corners? also id add a backdrop to that so pucks if they sail wont go into next yard
It was just about showing how somebody shoots with two sticks having a difference of +30 flex. I did not tell him to shoot with full power or where he had to shoot.

Old
08-30-2009, 03:59 PM
blueberrydanish

Your kid defanitly has a good shot, esp a slapper for that age, but just to say that "flex stuff is overrated" Id disagree. I dont really get to see awhole lot of flex from that video or anything but its prob not flexing all that much. The stiffer stick is prob something he just likes more which in the end is all preference.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Actually, looking at that video, It looks to me like the slappers are considerably less powerful and accurate. Wristers do look pretty similar in power, but much less accurate with the 140 flex stick- and yes, that's probably about what it is after cutting it down a foot.

Just because it goes into the neighbor's garden does not mean it's a stronger shot. It does mean that it's not as accurate.

Both of those are still too stiff for him though. He's not getting much flex on either with the wrister. To get a better idea of him with proper flex, have him try out an intermediate stick, or even go down to a junior.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Actually, looking at that video, It looks to me like the slappers are considerably less powerful and accurate. Wristers do look pretty similar in power, but much less accurate with the 140 flex stick- and yes, that's probably about what it is after cutting it down a foot.

Just because it goes into the neighbor's garden does not mean it's a stronger shot. It does mean that it's not as accurate.

Both of those are still too stiff for him though. He's not getting much flex on either with the wrister. To get a better idea of him with proper flex, have him try out an intermediate stick, or even go down to a junior.
The mission is an intermediate stick (flex 75). Kind of high-end junior stick. Junior does not like flex 50/60 sticks.
The 102 is an inch longer and he has shot 15 times with it (the shots in the video included). He'll test the Bauer for a practice on ice tomorrow.

I was very reluctant when he came home with the adult stick and asked me to cut it down for him. Never thought that he would be able to get a slap-shot off the blue line to the middle of the net. But he did on his first try. I deduced that flex has less influence than I thought.

I'll admit that a 10y/o is probably not really representive, but still, junior says "no difference in flex...".

I'll have to observe a little more...

k.

Old
08-30-2009, 05:42 PM
krax

To answer the original question:
I am 200lbs, 8'2'', 40y. I'd normally use a 100-110 flex. I don't use slapshots a lot and am not a great shooter. Got a Bauer XXX-Lite flex 87 and loved it for stickhandling and snapshots. My slapshots remained average or were even a little bit worse.

k.

Old
08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Judge by yourself:

k.
I wouldn't explain anything about it, he is 10 and isn't expected to pick corners with a slapshot to begin with. He did fine with his wristers anyway which is what he should be doing at 10.

You've done a good job.

10 is too young to flex a stick with his muscle strength anyway and you really should not concern yourself with it now. His stick is so short you would have to get a flex so low it is not even made for it to be right.

Don't sweat it honestly.

Old
08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
The mission is an intermediate stick (flex 75). Kind of high-end junior stick. Junior does not like flex 50/60 sticks.
The 102 is an inch longer and he has shot 15 times with it (the shots in the video included). He'll test the Bauer for a practice on ice tomorrow.

I was very reluctant when he came home with the adult stick and asked me to cut it down for him. Never thought that he would be able to get a slap-shot off the blue line to the middle of the net. But he did on his first try. I deduced that flex has less influence than I thought.

I'll admit that a 10y/o is probably not really representive, but still, junior says "no difference in flex...".

I'll have to observe a little more...

k.
Seeing how he shoots in a game would help, but to me he really does look more accurate with the 75 flex.

Also it's interesting, 75 flex is usually a senior flex, most intermediates are 60 flexish, but if he's tried those and didn't like them then the 75 is probalby about right for him, though the reason he didn't like them could have been the stick model and not the flex.

His technique is much better with the 75 flex stick. He's loading it up well, and taking a good step. With the 100, perhaps I'm seeing things, but it looks like he's stepping forward more to make up for the power he's not getting from the flex, and that's throwing off his aim.

Honestly, I'm 5'6, 140ish, almost all muscle, and I'm thinking about going down to a 65 flex. About the only guy in the NHL who uses a stick as stiff as what that cut down vapor is is Chara, who has them made extremely stiff so he doesn't snap them, and has a lot more leverage to flex the stick.

Old
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
CanadaBacon

I would get him to keep his slappers low and to the corners. Get that down to second nature (maybe he already can, i dont know?) then start working on raising the puck.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:44 AM
krax

Hope I am not too much off-topic with my 140 flex problem...
Junior tried his stick during practice. Unfortunately, it was all about skating drills. He did 3 wrist shots and one penalty shot at the end of the practice. Shots and stickhandling looked ok to me.
Problem is, he won't listen too me. He received the stick from a star player and feels ok with it. I think I am going to saw it over night....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAT5o0_G0I

Old
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Re: the 10 year old, he's not really flexing either stick, so it doesn't make a difference.

Wrist shots are mostly about rolling the puck down the blade from heel to toe to put spin on it, then snapping the wrists at the end of the shot to fling it from the end of the blade. The flex isn't as key here, but these are pure wrist shots.

When you have the right flex, you can also lean into the shot a bit and get some of the weight transfer into the stick, adjust the angle of release, and get more power on the shot. To do this, you have to pull the puck in closer to the body, which is different than what the 10 year old was doing (shooting far away from his body). With the arms outstretched and the stick nowhere near the body, it's impossible to use the flex of the stick anyway, which is probably why he doesn't notice a difference.

With the slap shot, he looks like he should follow through and point the blade more towards the target. It looks like he's slapping at the puck rather than driving down and through the puck, which is how you transfer power into the shaft and get additional power and accuracy. Have him contact the ice/surface an inch behind the puck rather than hitting the puck itself and see how that works. And that again is where you'll see the flex of the stick come into play.

Anyways, for 10 years old, he's doing very well. A couple tweaks and he will really improve the power and accuracy. Especially when he starts using snap shots.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post

It depends on your technique.

Ovechkin is 6'2 and 220 pounds and uses a 77 flex Bauer. Brian Rolston is 6'2 and 215 pounds and uses a 120 flex Easton.

Try a teammate's if you can...

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Hope I am not too much off-topic with my 140 flex problem...
Junior tried his stick during practice. Unfortunately, it was all about skating drills. He did 3 wrist shots and one penalty shot at the end of the practice. Shots and stickhandling looked ok to me.
Problem is, he won't listen too me. He received the stick from a star player and feels ok with it. I think I am going to saw it over night....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAT5o0_G0I
Yeah, he's getting absolutely no flex in that stick. The Lie is also a little too high for him I think. The toe is coming up even while he's shooting.

I would let him use it for a little bit though, he is only 10 and it's not like the difference in shot will affect his Junior A tryouts or something. But the 77 does look like a much better stick for him.

Old
09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
robmneilson

I was always an Easton user, but I ended up getting a good deal on some pro stock returns of Bauer one90's and I really love it.

Check on ebay you can probably get some 102-107 flex sticks for $100 or so.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote