HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnson should make the jump to stardom this season

Old
08-21-2009, 02:15 AM
imissgretzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Absolutely. I also hope that Kopitar can break the 90 pts barrier and that Brown can score 30 goals on a consistent basis.
And that Quick/Bernier can have a .910 + sv% / 2.20 GAA / 40 + wins.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
treason47

Send a message via AIM to treason47
O'Donnell-Doughty
Scuderi-Greene
Johnson-Holland/Drewiske

That's the blueline I would go with. The only problem i see with my pairings above is that until Johnson and Doughty meet their offensive potential, that blueline lacks production. This is a problem lombardi seemed to have in San Jose as well. I hope it will not be a problem here. I would imagine with Hickey in the organization there would not be an issue with that in the future.

treason47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by treason47 View Post
O'Donnell-Doughty
Scuderi-Greene
Johnson-Holland/Drewiske

That's the blueline I would go with. The only problem i see with my pairings above is that until Johnson and Doughty meet their offensive potential, that blueline lacks production. This is a problem lombardi seemed to have in San Jose as well. I hope it will not be a problem here. I would imagine with Hickey in the organization there would not be an issue with that in the future.
I really see OD mentoring another young player on the bottom pairing, likely Hickey/Drewiskie/Voinov, as he did with Doughty last year. I believe Doughty will be paired with either Johnson or Scuderi. Scuderi paired with Greene would make a great shut down duo for the PK or the final minutes of a game.

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
treason47

Yes I could possibly see O'Donnell paired with another young d-man however given how well the pair (Sean and Drew) seemed to work together last season I would stick them together once again. I do feel Scuderi-Greene would be a great shutdown pair...would help the plus/minus.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
O'Donnell-Doughty
Scuderi-Greene
Johnson-Holland/Drewiske

OD is not first line pairing material anymore. Also, I wouldn't put Scuderi and Greene together. I would do something like this even though I think Greene should be first pairing and Scuderi should be second pairing, but for balance of shot arrangement and offense:

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Greene
OD-???

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
VADEN

Also if you remember O'd played great the first couple weeks of the season and then started to wear down. He is not capable of eating up top pairing minutes.

VADEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:55 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
OD is not first line pairing material anymore.
He was never first pairing material, at least not on a good team. He's always been a solid second-pairing guy.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
The further we push OD down the depth chart, the better.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
PRMan

Quote:
Except Detroit drafts offensively gifted players. See also: Chicago, Pittsburgh.
Um, weren't Detroit's 2 best offensive players drafted in like the 7th round or something?

Sounds like DL is following Detroit's drafting exactly.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 06:33 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Um, weren't Detroit's 2 best offensive players drafted in like the 7th round or something?

Sounds like DL is following Detroit's drafting exactly.
What you fail to see is that Detroit drafted offensively gifted players in those rounds and that's all they had going for them at the time. The real question for Datsyuk and Zetterberg is whether or not they could adapt to the physical style of the NHL and learn to check, play defense, etc.

In 09' DL and Co. drafted a lot of physical and gritty players, not exactly Tomas Tatar types.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:07 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
O'Donnell-Doughty
Scuderi-Greene
Johnson-Holland/Drewiske

Who is going to make the break out pass, or get the hard shot on net once were in the offensive zone. Sure they can be a shut down pairing, but the lack of offense they bring when combined is frightening!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Who is going to make the break out pass, or get the hard shot on net once were in the offensive zone. Sure they can be a shut down pairing, but the lack of offense they bring when combined is frightening!
That's why you have them paired on the PK.

Omni Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Old
08-27-2009, 07:58 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
What you fail to see is that Detroit drafted offensively gifted players in those rounds and that's all they had going for them at the time. The real question for Datsyuk and Zetterberg is whether or not they could adapt to the physical style of the NHL and learn to check, play defense, etc.

In 09' DL and Co. drafted a lot of physical and gritty players, not exactly Tomas Tatar types.
Viva Real Madrid.

Donuts - Greener
JJ - Scuddy
Hicks - OD

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Bingo. The forecheck would be hard against those 2 guys and the puck would never leave the Kings zone. You have to have 1 dman who can either skate or pass the puck out of the zone or to a forward-Greene and Scuderi are very limited with the puck. Scuderi played 306 minutes of short handed hockey last season, a career high, scored 1 point in 12 games in February and scored 7 of his 16 points in 12 games against the Rangers and Islanders meaing he scored 9 points in the other 69 games he played. He's a PK machine and a 3rd dman pairing, bottom line. If you expect anything more from him minus Crosby and Malkin you're insane. The hope here is that with Scuderi, Greene and OD the PK should be top 10 in the NHL and the goals against overall should go down barring a Quick collapse in net.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
treason47

Quote:
Bah...It's not like anyone besides Doughty is making decent breakout passes anyways. Screw it just Aki Berg it up the middle. True that pairing may lack some puck abilities. I would take that problem over other problems Kings have had in past seasons.

Suppose they go up the boards and out.

Old
08-29-2009, 12:37 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:

Can't the same be said for Loktionov and Azevedo, our 5th and 6th rd. picks?

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
Dont forget about Garret Roe and Brandon Kozun. 6th and 7th round picks that are extremely gifted in the offensive zone.

Thrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 06:40 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
I'm a HUGE Loktionov supporter, I hope he can be half of what Datsyuk is. Azevedo is a still a huge question mark. Same goes for Kozun and Roe.

Old
08-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm a HUGE Loktionov supporter, I hope he can be half of what Datsyuk is. Azevedo is a still a huge question mark. Same goes for Kozun and Roe.
1/2 of Datsyuk would suck balls. I am sure you didn't mean that.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
The real question for Azevedo, Roe and Kozun is whether or not they can adapt to the physical style of the NHL and learn to check, play defense, etc.

No?

Thrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:20 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
1/2 of Datsyuk would suck balls. I am sure you didn't mean that.
What I meant was that I'd be happy if he was 1/2 of what Datsyuk is. I HOPE he can mirror 100% what Datsyuk has done.

Old
08-29-2009, 10:21 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
The real question for Azevedo, Roe and Kozun is whether or not they can adapt to the physical style of the NHL and learn to check, play defense, etc.

No?
They also don't have the luxury of playing in the Red Wings system.

Old
08-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Anonymous028

Quote:

Tatar has ONE good showing and all the sudden he is the next zetterberg...

That same tournament, our guy hickey and tubert played TERRIBLE.

That is far too small of a timespan to judge a player...

that said, Good scoring is the easiest to come by

Anonymous028 is offline   Reply With Quote