HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What if Lisin surprises?

Old
08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
What if Lisin surprises?

In all of the line combo discussions I've seen this summer, the assumption is that of the 13 potential starting forwards on the roster, Lisin is the one on the bubble. We've been debating whether or not he could thrive on the 4th line instead of Byers, whether he's better served in the minors (although I'm fairly certain that he's subject to waivers, so if he goes down, he's staying down) or sitting in the press box and waiting for an injury, etc.

But all of these scenarios assume that he's a work in progress, that he'll struggle defensively and go through some of the same ups and downs that were reported in PHX last year. Here's what we haven't considered: what if he takes that next step and develops into the legit top 6 scorer the Rangers hope he can be? I mean, Slats didn't trade Korpikoski to get him because he thinks that he might eventually develop into a solid 3rd liner. (After all, that's what Korpi already was.)

If you look at Lisin at his best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0DDYH7Ws8, you know the other NHL player he reminds me of most? Marian Gaborik. Yes, I know, those are only the best moments - but the Rangers clearly acquired him because they think these moments can be the rule, not the exception. If he eliminates the inconsistencies in his game, he will force Tortorella to play him in the top 6.

So, let's eliminate the cynicism we've built up over years of disappointment in the Rangers' treatment of young players. Let's take Tortorella on his word that he will play players pretty much on merit. Let's give the team braintrust credit for the fact that they have committed to building from within and since the lockout players like Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan and of course Lundqvist have come up through the system to become important players on the team (and they appear to be leaving as many as four more spots open on the roster for kids to take this year)... and let's consider: what do the lines look like if Lisin forces his way into the top 6? Who sits or plays fourth line (assuming injuries don't make the decision easy)?

From my point of view, there are 3 potential options:

1) One of the other "top 9" players on the roster gets bumped to the fourth line. I know that his fanboys are going to freak out at the suggestion, but of all of them, Avery is really the only one who it seems to me could be effective in that role. Under such a scenario, the lines could look something like this:

Lisin-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Prospal-Drury-Kotalik
Higgins-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Brashear
Voros or Byers

This to me is the lineup that makes the most sense. Every player is in a position where he can be effective.

2) One of the other forwards sits as an extra. Honestly, of all the players on the roster, the two that would make the most sense to me are actually the two new FA acquisitions, Prospal and Kotalik. Gaborik ain't sitting and Avery, Higgins and Callahan are all much more effective all-around players than the two FAs. Given Prospal's last year, the way he exited TB, and, frankly, the fact that he's here pretty much as a favor/tryout because Torts had success with him in the past, it could be him.

Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Lisin-Drury-Kotalik / Prospal-Drury-Lisin
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Byers-Boyle-Brashear
Prospal / Kotalik

This is the lineup you would see if Prospal is legitimately on the downside of his career or Kotalik goes into one of his long scoreless slumps.

3)Anisimov starts the year in the AHL. I don't think he's got anything to prove there, but the staff would no doubt prefer him getting regular playing time as the first line center on the 'Pack as opposed to playing the 4th line (or press box) in the NHL. Here's what the lines could look like:

Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Lisin-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Prospal-Callahan
Byers-Boyle-Brashear
Voros

This is the lineup that you would see if the team is worried that a "demoted" Avery or a sitting vet who came here as an UFA would have a detrimental effect in the clubhouse.

Thoughts? Remember, this is the scenario where Lisin breaks out and forces his way into the lineup, potentially as the second scoring option behind Gaborik. It's not enough to simply say "you can't play Avery on the fourth line" or "you can't sit Prospal" and then dump Lisin down to the fourth line again - you then have to propose an alternate scenario where Lisin is still playing on one of the top 2 lines and someone else is sitting.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 08-30-2009 at 01:32 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 01:50 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Lisin has the talent to be in the top 6 no doubt and he really should be. He wants to play in the NHL and will be motivated to this season. If he can't be in the NHL then he will go back to Russia and with good reason because he easily has the talent to not only be in the NHL but be on top lines.
He was stuck on the 4th line of Phoenix because Gretzky was a moron. Putting up 13 goals for a 4th line on one of the bottom teams in the NHL is pretty good. Put him with better players and in a high offense system and the kid has no where to go but up.

He does need to work on his defensive play, which has come a long way since coming to NA. But I think Lisin can get that top 6 spot he desperately wants.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
broadwayblue

If he surprises he'll earn more ice time. Torts will move him up. Likewise, if he is outplaying someone above him that player will see a diminished role. It's pretty simple really. The best performing players will get more ice time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Blazephr

Very well thought-out post by BrooklynRangersFan. I have a good feeling that Lisin will pot 18 - 23 goals. If you look back at the kind of goals he scored with Phoenix, more than half of them were off turnovers generated in the neutral zone....I personally think Lisin is the perfect fit for the system that Torts will fully introduce this season.

OT- Just so everyone knows. I am having serious hockey withdrawal. I am so starved for hockey that I just spent the past 5 hours scouring the internet hitting every single Ranger related blog..... I've been on almost every single NHL team's website (plus OHL) for anything that will keep me from going nuts. I was just look at The Canucks schedule just see how crazy their travel will be this season. Can someone please knock me out only to wake me up on 10/2/09??????

EDIT:

all of Lisin's goals:
http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/console.j...71263&fr=false

Last edited by Blazephr: 08-30-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Very well thought-out post by BrooklynRangersFan. I have a good feeling that Lisin will pot 18 - 23 goals. If you look back at the kind of goals he scored with Phoenix, more than half of them were off turnovers generated in the neutral zone....I personally think Lisin is the perfect fit for the system that Torts will fully introduce this season.

OT- Just so everyone knows. I am having serious hockey withdrawal. I am so starved for hockey that I just spent the past 5 hours scouring the internet hitting every single Ranger related blog..... I've been on almost every single NHL team's website (plus OHL) for anything that will keep me from going nuts. I was just look at The Canucks schedule just see how crazy their travel will be this season. Can someone please knock me out only to wake me up on 10/2/09??????
Training camp is in under 2 weeks... hang in there, we're almost there.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:18 PM
AXN

I saw in the Hockey News that Cogliano is the Oiler's second line right wing. He is more of a center. I wonder if they would trade Cogliano for Lisin. Avery Cogliano Callahan is a very good line.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Watch the NHL Network it fills the hole nicely.
Watched the Avs vs kings in 2002 today
Forberg+Sakic ftw.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Watch the NHL Network it fills the hole nicely.
Watched the Avs vs kings in 2002 today
Forberg+Sakic ftw.
Yep....I already watched it. I tivo "Classic Series" every nite at 9pm. This morning, I watched San Jose vs. Colorado. Adam Graves's last career post season appearance and it happens to be Drury's final year with The Avalanche before being traded to Calgary.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Ola

This is a interesting topic, but what I wonder about the most is what if Lisin does NOT suprise?

Because then we will loose him very fast to russia, because he won't get a free ride here. And if that happend -- why on earth did we trade Korpikoski for him?

Korpi can play all forwards positions. He can play on a top 2 line and on a bottom 2 line stylewise. He definitly had some potential to develop more, and even if everything didn't connect offensivly last season some experience definitly could have helped in that department.

In the end we look like we gave away Korpikoski for a guy who have to "suprise" in camp just to squez into our top 9 or he will be gone.

WTF?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
ive been thinking the same thing... lisin could very well force himself into the lineup... although i do not think we're going to see the conventional line system on the rangers this season. for one the rangers dont have another bonafide goal scorer that would merit a whole line being centered around him (such as dany heatley or ilya kovalchuk)...thus allowing the rangers to toy around with their top 3 lines. tortorella in my opinion will award the 2nd line to the top 3 hard nosed and hustle players.

so what lisin would be looking at would be the 3rd line. take into consideration that lisin is good friends with anisimov and i think we have 2/3 of a line in the making.

the problem with the rangers offense is too many 3rd line players and not enough players that can make a difference.

our 2nd line in my opinion is:

avery-dubinsky-callahn

our 1st line is still up in the air. what if prospal disapoints, who does that leave to center gaborik? does that mean that dubinsky moves out of that 2nd line? for one brandon dubinsky hasnt proven himself to be a 1st line center yet. secondly that 2nd line to me is the most appealing line on the rangers. think about the energy that line brings. why would you split it up?

the rangers are in a dilemna right now. they need more genuine snipers but they also need a center worthy enough to play with the snipers. in my opinion the rangers can wait until kovalchuk becomes a fa to add another goal scorer. so what glen should be trying to do is getting a center that can be perfect for marion gaborik. brad richards talk seems to have died down, so im thinking phil kessel.

in my opinion enver lisin does not have to worry about making the starting team. he's either going to be with gaborik on line 1 or anisimov on line 3. or maybe if the prospal isnt what the rangers expected and glen cant trade for a top center... lisin-anisimov-gaborik (nah too much inexperience for a first line...)

can the rangers pull off a trade for kessel or richards? i dont think so. although boston cannot keep kessel, it would work out for both sides.

lisin-kessel-gaborik
avery-dubinsky-callahan
anisimov-drury-higgins
kotalik-prospal-brashear

forget about scoring problems for good.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
reckoner

i'm usually a very optimistic person, but i wouldn't really expect much from lisin until you see him perform on a consistent basis.

sure, you can look at youtube compilations and see how talented he can be--but there's a reason why phoenix traded him.

not to mention, how many times do we have to get these "talented, but inconsistent players" who we expect the world from--only to have them land on the fourth line for the entire year?

that's not to say obtaining these types of players are bad moves (although i miss korpi), but i wouldn't play the "what if?" game until we're more than a month into the season and they're still performing.

reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If you are right and Lisin becomes a top 6, then Avery is the only one who could be a 4th liner. It's certainly not going to be Kotalik, Prospal or Higgins unless they stink it up completely. Almost definitely won't be Cally either. Not Gaborik of course. So that's 6 wingers, if we include Lisin, who can't be on the 4th line. Avery is the only possible option.

Plus, given that this is the only team on which he can play, Avery really can't complain too loudly.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This is a interesting topic, but what I wonder about the most is what if Lisin does NOT suprise?

Because then we will loose him very fast to russia, because he won't get a free ride here. And if that happend -- why on earth did we trade Korpikoski for him?

Korpi can play all forwards positions. He can play on a top 2 line and on a bottom 2 line stylewise. He definitly had some potential to develop more, and even if everything didn't connect offensivly last season some experience definitly could have helped in that department.

In the end we look like we gave away Korpikoski for a guy who have to "suprise" in camp just to squez into our top 9 or he will be gone.

WTF?

Because in Korps, you get an average, run of the mill player that you can always sign for a million or two in the summer.

But if Lisin develops to his full potential, he becomes a star winger for us. It's a classic trade of a safe player for a high-risk, high-return player.

Old
08-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If Lisin proves himself capable of top-6 duty, I wonder if we could trade Higgins and Prospal for a good, young winger, something like Amonte for Noonan and Matteau, but in reverse.

It probably wouldn't be enough to get a player of Amonte's quality, but maybe someone a little below him... or maybe we can trade Roszival, Higgins and Prospal for an Amonte type (and we'd eat some of their short-term salary to balance out the cap).

A team going for the Cup may well do it.

Old
08-30-2009, 03:38 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

offensively, enver lisin is the 2nd most talented player on this team. no question.

hes probably our fastest skater.

hes our 2nd most dangerous player one on one and not far behind gaborik.

he can dangle and he can get on your hip and blow by you.

hes our 2nd most creative player behind mg.

hes a finisher. he has a very good shot.

other than mg, hes the only other player that can make a defense back off and respect due to his filthy speed.

having said that, if hes played anywhere but the top 3 lines, hell be wasted. he must play with offensively skilled players in order to contribute.

if torts gives him time with gaborik, i will predict lisin will go off and score goals for us. if he plays with drury same and if he gets a chance with arty, i predict we will see chemistry with those two.

if torts puts him with stiffs and limits his ice time, hell fail. period.

some guys are offensively gifted. lisin is one. he young and he has worked hard on his own zone game, but hes still our second most lethal weapon and needs to be used as such. torts needs to tell him, be aware defensively but most important, attack and create.

if given the chance, he will create scoring chances and be on the scoreboard consistently.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Higgins - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Prospal - Drury - Kotalik
Lisin - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Boyle - Brashear

Staal - Gilroy
Redden - Rozsival
Sanguinetti - Girardi

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 03:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Avery - Boyle - Brashear

Staal - Gilroy
Redden - Rozsival
Sanguinetti - Girardi

lisin dubi gaby
higgins drury cally
prospal arty kotalik
avery boyle brash/byers

staal/girardi
redden/gilroy
rozy/sauer

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I find it interesting that Hockey's Future described Lisin as a talented "two-way forward" with "significant defensive upside." Obviously, at some point, Lisin was perfectly capable of playing a responsible defensive game.

I haven't watched him play but it seems like his defensive play has been the big knock on him around here. I wonder how much of that illustrates flaws in his game and his approach or how much of it is a result of playing for a bad team and apparently being misused.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
free0717

One thing about Lisin that everyone forgets is that Enver cant play Left Wing. If you go back to the thread when we originally traded for him, you will find quotes from Maloney saying that was the reason they traded Lisin for Korpikorski. Phoenix was overloaded wth RWs and needed to balance out the lineup. I envision Enver playing RW on AAs line.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
I find it interesting that Hockey's Future described Lisin as a talented "two-way forward" with "significant defensive upside." Obviously, at some point, Lisin was perfectly capable of playing a responsible defensive game.

I haven't watched him play but it seems like his defensive play has been the big knock on him around here. I wonder how much of that illustrates flaws in his game and his approach or how much of it is a result of playing for a bad team and apparently being misused.
Lisin has never been known for his defensive play. When he came to NA, I don't think he knew what a defensive zone was. After spending a year in the AHL with Greg Ireland as his coach he got much better but could still improve. Lisin is all about offense when it comes to why you have him on the team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 04:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Just felt like i should explain my reasoning...

Kotalik will be paired up with Drury. They have prior successful chemistry. They both really fed off of each other in Buffalo.

Higgins is not a passer, therefore it would be of no good to pair him up with Drury and Kotalik. Prospal is a good passer, and would be a perfect fit for Drury and Kotalik.

Higgins is probably going to be our second highest goal scorer. He is big, fast, and strong. He will be a top 6 forward.

Callahan is not a top 6 forward on this roster. Unless Prospal falters terribly. Which is unlikely, he is on a mission, he has a lot to prove to himself, and he has proved that when he is highly motivated he is a very good player. Tortorella is going to get a lot out of Prospal. Callahan can still put up his 20 goals, 35-40 points from the third line.

Anisimov is a lock for the third line center job unless he completely falls flat on his face in camp.

Lisin is the interesting candidate here. He has all the talent in the world. He works hard. He skates fast. He is strong. He has good size. He has slick hands. He has a very good shot. The issue here is how Tortorella will see him. He can be a top 6 forward, but he would be very good paired up with Anisimov's two way game and passing, and Callahan's hard work.

Avery is the only player on the roster that can play on the 4th line and not be wasted. It's not that he isn't good enough to be a top 9 forward, it is that everyone else above him have to play in their roles otherwise they are wasted.

Dubinsky is a good puck possession player. He is good at gaining the zone, and using his body to protect the puck. This is why he will be a good fit with Gaborik, who thrives on sneaking in and burying the puck. Higgins can crash the net hard. Dubinsky and Higgins can do the dirty work and Gaborik can finish the play. Higgins can also score. I expect a lot of assists out of Dubinsky. Not a lot of goals. 20 goals capable. 40 assists, which would put him at 60 points, that's what i expect from him.

Anyway, that's the way i see it, just my opinion.

That's why i feel

Avery - Boyle - Brashear

Would make sense.

Old
08-30-2009, 05:14 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

WTF?
I love that you are already furious about an event that did not happen. I love the internet

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't know, at the same age Lisin scored 13 goals while Korpikoski scored 6. Lisin also played 20 games less.

I like Korpikoski, but Lisin is without a doubt the more offensively gifted player.

Old
08-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't know, at the same age Lisin scored 13 goals while Korpikoski scored 6. Lisin also played 20 games less.

I like Korpikoski, but Lisin is without a doubt the more offensively gifted player.
Definitly, and he have more upside.

But he isn't a "lottery ticket". He won't show up in camp and suddenly be a 35 goal scorer. Its not like we get a 5% chance of suddenly getting Semin II by getting Lisin.

He have potential, but he will never fullfill that unless we invest in him and develop him here in NY.

We have a opening at center in the top 9, and are pretty stacked at the wing like someone said. If he impress in camp its not impossible that he breaks into the top 9. If Torts is willing to invest in this kid and show patient with him on a 4th line and then move him up if someone is injured then I guess it might not be a disaster even if Lisin don't "impress in camp".

But if Torts don't see Lisin as a 4th lineer, and he have to suprise in camp just to get into the top 9 basically -- then I think its a extremely odd move. Like Korpikoski last season was a young rookie. The diffrence between the two is that Korpi is the type who you could keep around in a small role for atleast another 2-3 years and see if he can step up. Lisin will bolt right away unless he is happy in NY. We will never be able to keep him around like we did with Prucha for example...

Old
08-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I love that you are already furious about an event that did not happen. I love the internet
No but with a player like Lisin you got to give him ice time that can develop his offensive skills. Preferbly on a 2nd line. You have to give him time.

Are we willing to do that? If we are -- fine. I don't mind the trade.

But if we gave up Korpi just to see if Lisin can suprise in camp or not -- then I think its very stupid.