HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers' Fans Rated 12th Best Fans in the League

Old
08-29-2009, 12:15 PM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
yeah and that is true, the genius that wrote this article used espn's attendance stats and failed to realize that one of the rangers "home" games in prague was played in front of about 16,500, thus bringing the rangers average attendance down. what an idiot
Ahh...so that's it.
Man this kind of blows up his reasoning.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
allstarr425

did pitt fans and caps fans even realize they had a hockey team in their market 3 yrs ago??? And this list lost all credibility when they bumped CHI up from 21 to 2...I didnt realize fan loyalty could change so much in a single season... this is just ridiculous

allstarr425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
Yeah this can't be too reliable we've sold out every game for years now i think since the lockout ended
Are the Rangers games "Real" sellouts or are they inflated?
I say this because normally when a team sells out that often...you never see

1) Empty seats on TV
2) Rarely do any visiting fans get into the building

Yet on TV and the game I went to last year (Bathgate) they appeared to have empty seats.
Also...I see a good amount of Devil/Isles/Flyers/Sabres/Habs/Caps/Bruins fans at MSG.
When a team sells out tickets are really scarce for road fans...aside from the two locals.

3) People have hinted that MSG just buys up the remainder tickets and gives them away.

Old
08-29-2009, 12:19 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarr425 View Post
did pitt fans and caps fans even realize they had a hockey team in their market 3 yrs ago??? And this list lost all credibility when they bumped CHI up from 21 to 2...I didnt realize fan loyalty could change so much in a single season... this is just ridiculous
PIT fans did.
Check their attendance the last 20 years.
They had a two year dip 03-04 when they became the Pirates.

Guess what...Buffalo went bankrupt and had 13K for a few years too.
They're not bandwagon...just a solid small market like BUF.

WAS fans even when they got Alex still had 10K in the crowd.
THAT is bandwagon.

Old
08-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Same thing could happen in DC...if the Caps had a base.
The Redskins have had lean times yet get their support hidden.
Washington is not a small market....it's a bigger/wealthier market than Philly and one of the largest in the nation.

You do NOT get to use that excuse.
Your lack of support in lean times is due to a bandwagon, small fanbase because DC had AMPLE resources to support a team if they wanted.
i think we're in agreement here. ( i'm not a caps fan )

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 06:42 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
People really make misjudgements about NY.
They like to downplay our attendance as "well you play in the largest market."
OK...but they fail to realize that NY is a large, diverse market WITH many different people and MANY other things to do.

You have NINE sports teams which dilutes the base, not to mention you have immigrants from ALL OVER the world.
This is not some small hayseed town were everybody knows everybody.

This is not some white-racist town (like Boston)...NY is really a broad area and to have them unite over ONE sports team is impossible.

So if people are going to deduct points because we play in NY then they have to consider too that being in NY presents challenges that being the one team in a hayseed town doesn't.
Please explain how the Mets and Yankees cut into the potential Rangers fanbase. If you reply to nothing else I wrote here, please reply to this theory.

Having 18 million or so to draw from statistically means that you have a far greater chance of filling an arena. This is a pure case of numbers.

Racism is somehow unique to Boston?

Immigrants disdain hockey?

You don't like racism but you cast a broad brush that says that if you don't live in NY, you are a hayseed?

You have fallen into a trap where you are taking nonsense seriously and adding more nonsense to prove the original author wrong.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Please explain how the Mets and Yankees cut into the potential Rangers fanbase. If you reply to nothing else I wrote here, please reply to this theory.

Having 18 million or so to draw from statistically means that you have a far greater chance of filling an arena. This is a pure case of numbers.

You don't like racism but you cast a broad brush that says that if you don't live in NY, you are a hayseed?

You have fallen into a trap where you are taking nonsense seriously and adding more nonsense to prove the original author wrong.
I pretty much agree...

The fact that there are just so many sports teams in NY does have an affect. However, on the other hand, I think the percentage of sports fans in NY who aren't fans of at least 3 or 4 of those teams is slim. We all know of the Rangers, Yankees, Giants, Knicks vs. Islanders, Mets, Jets, Knicks thing. Of course that's not exactly how it really works, but the fact is that most of us sports fans like a team in each sport.

The fact that I'm a Knicks fan (even though not a big one) would mean that there's a chance that I could go to a game. The fact that I'm a Yankees and Jets fan means that there's a chance I will go to a game. Same goes the other way around, just because someone's a die hard Yankees fans doesn't mean that they wouldn't go to a Rangers game or that they aren't a Rangers fan.

Also the fact that casual fans go to games, that tourists sometimes just go to games, etc. I've come across many tourists in MSG.

Now, the other fact about NY though is that especially in the city, there is just so much to do that, maybe not as many people would go out of their way to go to a Rangers game. Whereas in a smaller city, maybe going to a Sabres game is the only thing to do in the winter especially after football season is over.

Either way there are so many factors that go into it. Do immigrants hate hockey? I wouldn't say that. You figure most eastern European immigrants know hockey anyway. Many other immigrants know soccer and hockey is the most similar American sport to soccer, so I'd say that more immigrants would take up hockey over a game like baseball or football.

Truthfully, especially today, I notice the NYR fans aren't really as great as we all think. I mean we all mention sellouts or at least almost full attendance during the 7 years of suckiness. However, how much of that sellout was due to season ticket holders? I think that stat proves more than anything else because those are real fans. Sure lots of fans drop their tickets in protest, but it says something that you could buy season tickets anytime you wanted back then and now you can't. I remember going to Richter night in 04. The arena was packed for the ceremony and then when the game started the arena was more than half empty.
Secondly, has anyone gone to a game lately? The crowd has become so tame. IDK if it was because of the style of hockey, but the only time the fans have any emotion or energy is when the game starts, a goal is scored, there's a big hit, a fight and that's about all. I'm sure back in the day it was never like that.

Now I'm not saying that teams like the Pens, Caps, Blackhawks, etc. are better than us, but we have a lot of improving to do. The way the Garden is today is a disgrace to what it once was.

I also think that it's interesting to see how Rangers fans are at Prudential (also CAA) and Nassau. Maybe half the problem with MSG is that they are pricing out the real fans...

Last edited by WhipNash27: 08-29-2009 at 07:18 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

I will respond to your questions

1) Immigrants. I probably did not explain this correctly. Take a city like Boston...which is not very diverse. Take a city like New York, which has people from India/China/all over the world. I think the proportion of people in NY who are INTO sports is much less than in other markets.
This is NOT because NY is less of a sports town, moreso the increase in population carries with it people who aren't that aspect of our culture.
Boston is a smaller, white town with more of a "group-think" mentaility while New York is more of a "melting pot" hence having 18 million people in the market does not mean we have a bigger pot of 14 million to draw from.

2) One of the misconceptions is the NY market is 18 million strong.
Again though, by proportion due to huge size of non-Americans, it does not translate into more fans.
Also...did you know 18 million includes people in Trenton, Toms River, and New Haven?
Those are way out there...arguably New Haven is part of the Hartford market and Trenton more Philly associated.
Again...the 18 million is deceiving.

3) The fan base is more diluted because you have TWO other NHL teams and 8 other professional sports teams.
Having two baseball teams and two football teams takes a lot of attention away from the Rangers.
In Boston....the Red Sox and Pats get air time...but sometimes they have nothing to report.
In New York...highly unlikely the two mega sports (MLB and NFL) will not have something of interest happening.

Old
08-30-2009, 08:41 AM
bubba5

The should breakout the fans by section. 300's and 400's would be in the top 3
200's in the top 8, corporate 100's would be ranked 25-30.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 06:00 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

I didnt even know they ranked the fans... anyways stand in an area of anyone in the NHL. I guarantee the applause and screaming are the loudest in the Garden when they are winning. As every player says 'New York is the greatest place to play'

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

The notion of ranking a team's fan base and than having one team jump from 21st to 2nd in one year is a complete logical fallacy.

Doesn't part of what makes a fanbase great include steady and strong loyalty? I guess if this list was made in 04 the Tampa Bay Lightning would have had the best fanbase and if the Coyotes win the Cup this season their fanbase will jump 20 spots as well.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote