HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Back to the Rangers?

Old
08-31-2009, 12:17 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
You know if people tell that to messier over and over i bet it will get stuck in his head and he'll remember he needs 6 goals to hit the 700 goal club(or is it 600) that'd be freakish

Not if they put him on 4th line

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Oh I don't know...

Single Season NYR Records

* Goals: Jaromir Jagr (2005–06) — 54

* Assists: Brian Leetch (1991–92) — 80
* Points by a defenseman: Brian Leetch (1991–92) — 10
* Points by a rookie: Mark Pavelich (1981–82) — 76
* Goals by a rookie: Tony Granato (1988–89) — 36
* Power play goals: Jaromir Jagr (2005–06) — 24
* Game-winning goals: Jaromir Jagr (2005–06), Mark Messier (1996–97) and Don Murdoch (1980–81) — 9
* Shots on goal: Jaromir Jagr (2005–06) — 368
* Penalty minutes: Troy Mallette (1989–90) — 305
* Goaltending wins: Mike Richter (1993–94) — 42
* Goaltending wins by a rookie: Henrik Lundqvist (2005–06) — 30

On top of bringing our team back to respectability after the lock out while carrying the team on his back to the playoffs every year he was here... nothing really though.
should we have a night for Mallete, Granato and Pavelich too?

The fact is he a great season. What else did he do?

08-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
as much as it would be a nice sentimental journey.....Torts would be dead against it.

I saw JJ play at the World's and he has become a lazy player.....I can't see it.
(coming from the biggest his biggest supporter and Slats basher)

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:58 AM
pwoz

Getting Jagr at this point in his career would be extremely stupid. Don't forget that we have very little cap space... oh and he's still under contract with the Dairy Queen Softserve League, so even if Slats managed to give him a $3-4m cap-friendly deal, Jagr would be picked up on re-entry waivers in heartbeat (just like Dubliewicz).

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:33 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Ya guys who achieved most points by a rookie and penalty minutes, we'll have a night for them... are you serious? You're comparing Jagr to Mallete, Granato or Pavelich?????

Neither of which was our CAPTAIN, neither of which carried our team out of the dumps and to the playoffs every year he played almost singlehandedly.

How ignorant... ya, we'll have a night for Troy Mallette...

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I dont mean to downplay Jagr's achievements, but it would be totally unneccesary to have some sort of ceremony due to basically one great season. A season in which he caught lightning in a bottle with the rule changes and chemistry with Michael Nylander.

This isnt supposed to be a slight towards Jagr either, I really appreciate how he helped the franchise rise out of the ashes and into mediocrity. But honestly, I really hope MSG gives it a rest with the ceremonies. We already have one #9 in the rafters that really shouldnt be there due to a tribute overkill (sorry Adam Graves).

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Ya guys who achieved most points by a rookie and penalty minutes, we'll have a night for them... are you serious? You're comparing Jagr to Mallete, Granato or Pavelich?????
You posted the team leaders

Quote:
Neither of which was our CAPTAIN, neither of which carried our team out of the dumps and to the playoffs every year he played almost singlehandedly.
He was our captain for two years (and not during his record-breaking season). Should we bring back Kelly Kissio for a night? And judging by how well our current captain is received around here, not sure how much just being captain adds to Jagr's resume.

Single handedly? So Jagr didn't have linemates? Didn't he have a goalie?

Quote:
How ignorant... ya, we'll have a night for Troy Mallette...
Ignorant? Not really, you decided to post a list of leaders (shots on goal?). I would argue that Mallette actually did more for this franchise as he was compensation for Adam Graves.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont mean to downplay Jagr's achievements, but it would be totally unneccesary to have some sort of ceremony due to basically one great season. A season in which he caught lightning in a bottle with the rule changes and chemistry with Michael Nylander.

This isnt supposed to be a slight towards Jagr either, I really appreciate how he helped the franchise rise out of the ashes and into mediocrity. But honestly, I really hope MSG gives it a rest with the ceremonies. We already have one #9 in the rafters that really shouldnt be there due to a tribute overkill (sorry Adam Graves).
I'm not trying to down play his achievements either. The fact is he had one amazing year.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:47 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Agreed. Jagr was not a great Ranger. He is a Hall of Famer who played for the Rangers for a few years - well for most of them, spectacularly well for one.

I suspect much of the warmth for him extends from the fact that he was the best offensive player when this team FINALLY got back to the playoffs, but let's face it, just getting into to the playoffs isn't that great an accomplishment for a team or a player. It only looks impressive when you've been in the desert so long.

Part of the love, too, might be that Jagr (like Nylander and Straka and Naslund and Drury and Lindros and Bure and Fleury and Messier 2.0 and Rucinsky and Shanahan and Kovalev 2.0 and Antropov) was supposed to be a “transition” player – a stopgap to hold the fort while the Ranger youth worked through the system and eventually was ready to replace him (and the rest of the “stopgaps”). It seems to me his status might be elevated by the fact that no Ranger youth is close to replacing him.

(And on a side note, one wonders just how many of those listed above can be successfully replaced by the current crop of Ranger youth. Clearly not enough in Sather’s eyes considering the work he did overhauling the team this summer.)

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
NY Ranger86

i give up.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
pwoz

Jagr had an amazing year, but we were swept from the playoffs.

The end.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 09:19 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Jagr had an amazing year, but we were swept from the playoffs.

The end.
there you go.

If he plays at MSG for another team in the future, it would be nice to have a little video package and such, but nothing more than that will happen.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Agreed. Jagr was not a great Ranger. He is a Hall of Famer who played for the Rangers for a few years - well for most of them, spectacularly well for one.

I suspect much of the warmth for him extends from the fact that he was the best offensive player when this team FINALLY got back to the playoffs, but let's face it, just getting into to the playoffs isn't that great an accomplishment for a team or a player. It only looks impressive when you've been in the desert so long.

Part of the love, too, might be that Jagr (like Nylander and Straka and Naslund and Drury and Lindros and Bure and Fleury and Messier 2.0 and Rucinsky and Shanahan and Kovalev 2.0 and Antropov) was supposed to be a “transition” player – a stopgap to hold the fort while the Ranger youth worked through the system and eventually was ready to replace him (and the rest of the “stopgaps”). It seems to me his status might be elevated by the fact that no Ranger youth is close to replacing him.

(And on a side note, one wonders just how many of those listed above can be successfully replaced by the current crop of Ranger youth. Clearly not enough in Sather’s eyes considering the work he did overhauling the team this summer.)
Wayne Gretzky?

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:27 AM
AdmiralsHockey93

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsHockey93 Send a message via MSN to AdmiralsHockey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
IF...if this were to happen and I dont think its a shot at all, although id love to see it, I think Prospal is the perfect center to play with Jagr as he is the closest thing Jagr would have had as a playmaking center who he could mesh with since Nylander left. Then Dubi would play with Gaborik and Higgins...

Id try something like this..

Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kotalik-Prospal-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Brashear-Boyle-Lisin
eh i love the names not the order, stick dubinsky and jagr together and drury and kotalik together.
Higgins-Prospal-Gaborik
Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Kotalik-Drury-Callahan
Brashear-Boyle-Lisin
those top 3 lines look like #1 lines to me. and they sure as hell will have chemistry. the lines are in particular order tho. please lets brainstorm on this

AdmiralsHockey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Wayne Gretzky?
Yep. He's another one in that category, but I'll say this for Gretzky: he CHOSE to be here. He signed a contract to play with the Rangers when he might have gone elsewhere. Jagr played out the contract under which he was traded, and then he left. He never elected to be a Ranger.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote