HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Free Agency Thread II (All Blog Rumors, Proposals, etc in here)

Old
08-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Usually the measure is when he is a 3rd year pro. Last year was his first year, I believe he has time.
On top of that, he went the college route. One of the downsides of that is they generally don't taste the pros until they're 22-23, unlike someone from juniors who makes the jump at 20-21. Especially for defenseman, that one or two extra years can make a huge difference.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 10:12 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
On top of that, he went the college route. One of the downsides of that is they generally don't taste the pros until they're 22-23, unlike someone from juniors who makes the jump at 20-21. Especially for defenseman, that one or two extra years can make a huge difference.
Yep. This is by no means a make or break year for Clitsome.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin View Post
Last season was his first pro season. He played 4 years of college hockey before turning pro. 2010-2011 is his now or never season.
Are you suggesting it's common for 26 year olds to break into the NHL?

Quote:
Yea, I was going to say "Andrew Murray says 'hi'", but that works too.
Exceptions do not a rule make.

Quote:
Does he get banned from hockey if he isn't a regular this year?
How many times do you see a guy break into the NHL at 25 or higher?

Quote:
"Usually" != "always". Therefore, it is not definitely a make or break year. It's possible, but it's not definite.
By possible, you mean probable, right?

Seriously guys, let's use a little logic here. In all likelihood, his NHL career is over if he doesn't do it now.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
Seriously guys, let's use a little logic here. In all likelihood, his NHL career is over if he doesn't do it now.
Clitsome: is old for a prospect but I agree with those who say he's only had one pro season and it's to soon to make or break his career. Oh, he could be a career AHL'er or worse but every prospect deserves three years at the pro level before dumping them (within normal parameters that is). Heck, I think of Rafalski often.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:55 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You have got to be kidding.
Not straight up, but they could eat a salary and maybe throw a pick back. I'd be thrilled.

We have Nash, Huselius, Voracek, Umberger, and we might eventually get a surprise.

We don't have any players close to the package of Bieksa. I have faith in Filly, but if he isn't playing well and is getting 8 minutes a game.....

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:58 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Not straight up, but they could eat a salary and maybe throw a pick back. I'd be thrilled.

We have Nash, Huselius, Voracek, Umberger, and we might eventually get a surprise.

We don't have any players close to the package of Bieksa. I have faith in Filly, but if he isn't playing well and is getting 8 minutes a game.....
So, you are willing to give the best prospect in hockey to a team that is over the cap and HAS to move someone? That isn't smart at all. I don't care how much you like Bieksa (I CLEARLY don't like him near as much as you).

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
Are you suggesting it's common for 26 year olds to break into the NHL?
Granted the pressure will come from other, younger, draft picks. Having said that, people are correct, it's was his first pro season last year. Assuming he doesn't make the team outright, I'd be more concerned for his future if he didn't make the team next season or if he didn't get called up this season for some injury fill-in.

Methot, for example, finally broke through after 3 pro seasons.

I don't get to watch the Crunch much, but Clitsome is supposed to be a decent puck mover with some offensive upside while still being responsible in his own zone. If that is the case, he'll get a good, long, hard look. We aren't exactly busting at the seams with NHL ready d-men.

My recommendation always is, look at each situation and not the conventional wisdom. Especially when dealing with the Jackets.

We are also dealing with a 9th round pick here. In some ways it's amazing we are even having this converstation. In most ways, if he manages to play a handful of games in the NHL it would probably be considered a huge success.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:56 AM
hashmarks

One of the minor problems that the jackets have as well is that a few of our prospects (Weber, Ruth, Hansen, York to name a few) have gone the college route so they are older by the time the org. gets their grips on them to mold them.

When the go the jr. route, they are only 20 by the time they are out of that level and we can get our clutches on them much earlier.

It is a good thing Moore went the jr. route for that reason.

Last edited by hashmarks: 08-31-2009 at 10:08 AM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
So, you are willing to give the best prospect in hockey to a team that is over the cap and HAS to move someone? That isn't smart at all. I don't care how much you like Bieksa (I CLEARLY don't like him near as much as you).
I tend to agree. You simply can't toss a guy with that much upside away for Bieska. Having said that, Bieska would be a great addition to this team. If here were to become available, there will probably be more then one team in the mix. For what he brings, that is a good salary for 2 more years.

Old
08-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I would trade this year's first and Mayorov for Bieksa without thinking twice about it. What would be the salary coming back to us?

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I would trade this year's first and Mayorov for Bieksa without thinking twice about it. What would be the salary coming back to us?
3.5 million more than we can afford...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Ludicrous Speed

If we threw in Chimera would that still get Vancouver under?

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
If we threw in Chimera would that still get Vancouver under?
Any chance we can eliminate the illusion that we can dump off Chimera on a team looking for cap relief?

All the reasons that people want to throw in Chimera is all the reasons people wouldn't want him. One reason is that he has 3 years left on that contract, including this year. That's longer then like 30% of all marriages.

Old
08-31-2009, 10:33 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

put me in the "I understand we have to move a winger (or two), but I would like to keep Chimera" camp. I realize he makes sense to move, but I'm quite alright with no one jumping at the notion of acquiring him.. I still have some real faith/belief/whatever in him. think he will be a big help this season.

obviously if he was a piece we could move to fill a our need, I'd be on board, but I'm certainly not upset if he's in our lineup. Too many unteachable tools. let the stone hand/offsides comments flow.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote