HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate (ankle) question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2009, 11:26 PM
  #1
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Skate (ankle) question

So I have always had issues with my right ankle and my skate. Unfortunately I've got rather weak ankles and they're pretty thin. I can never seem to have the sides tight enough against my ankle and my foot therefore tilts quite a bit (nearly sideways on the floor) and hinders my skating. I'm worried about getting an ankle injury someday and I'd likely be a better player if my skating wasn't so handicapped.

I currently have CCM Vector skates (these are inline by the way). And was wondering if you guys thought the best solution was maybe insert some foam padding around the ankle or try another brand. I remember trying on Reebok skates that actually felt snug around my ankle, but they were over $400 and way out of my price range (and I don't remember the cheaper RBK skates fitting as well).

Thanks!

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM
  #2
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
So I have always had issues with my right ankle and my skate. Unfortunately I've got rather weak ankles and they're pretty thin. I can never seem to have the sides tight enough against my ankle and my foot therefore tilts quite a bit (nearly sideways on the floor) and hinders my skating. I'm worried about getting an ankle injury someday and I'd likely be a better player if my skating wasn't so handicapped.

I currently have CCM Vector skates (these are inline by the way). And was wondering if you guys thought the best solution was maybe insert some foam padding around the ankle or try another brand. I remember trying on Reebok skates that actually felt snug around my ankle, but they were over $400 and way out of my price range (and I don't remember the cheaper RBK skates fitting as well).

Thanks!
I would recommend working on your ankle strength. Eq should not compensate for something that can be easily rectified

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 12:55 AM
  #3
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,086
vCash: 500
Weak ankles is mostly a myth. Most everybody has the ability to stay upright in skates with the correct skate, sized and fitted right. I see it all the time working at skate rental. If you get a skate too big, you're not going to get the ankle support and you won't be able to skate well.


First, if you unlace them and slide your foot as far forward as you can, how much room is there behind your ankle? If the answer is more then two fingers, your skates are too big and you'll need to replace them.

Second, have you had them baked? You may not be able to depending on the model (Vector is the line name- there are quite a few models in that line), but that should allow the boot to form more to your ankle and let you get them around your ankle more securely.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:15 AM
  #4
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Tape really helps, or it helped me. I had a weak ankle. Broken at birth, never healed properly, but tape helped me. Also long laces, so I could wrap them around twice helped strength it as well.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:33 AM
  #5
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Weak ankles is mostly a myth. Most everybody has the ability to stay upright in skates with the correct skate, sized and fitted right. I see it all the time working at skate rental. If you get a skate too big, you're not going to get the ankle support and you won't be able to skate well.


First, if you unlace them and slide your foot as far forward as you can, how much room is there behind your ankle? If the answer is more then two fingers, your skates are too big and you'll need to replace them.

Second, have you had them baked? You may not be able to depending on the model (Vector is the line name- there are quite a few models in that line), but that should allow the boot to form more to your ankle and let you get them around your ankle more securely.
Thats not entirely true. Some people have this problem and to dismiss it is kinda ripping this guy off.

^^poster above had/has the same problem^^

Dont recommend wrapping your laces around tendon though.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
  #6
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
First off thanks for the responses guys!

I must say, I'm pretty convinced I have the weak ankle problem. I've had a lot of injuries (not major) mostly of my ankle rolling easily when playing soccer or something like that.

I'm going to try the longer laces and tape, they sound like solid ideas. Hopefully they help and I'll save money not searching for new skates! I also bought a thin ankle brace to wear while playing.

"Dont recommend wrapping your laces around tendon though." - Definitely not! I did that once, it made my high ankle so sore.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
  #7
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
First off thanks for the responses guys!

I must say, I'm pretty convinced I have the weak ankle problem. I've had a lot of injuries (not major) mostly of my ankle rolling easily when playing soccer or something like that.

I'm going to try the longer laces and tape, they sound like solid ideas. Hopefully they help and I'll save money not searching for new skates! I also bought a thin ankle brace to wear while playing.

"Dont recommend wrapping your laces around tendon though." - Definitely not! I did that once, it made my high ankle so sore.

Then you dont need longer laces

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
  #8
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Thats not entirely true. Some people have this problem and to dismiss it is kinda ripping this guy off.

^^poster above had/has the same problem^^

Dont recommend wrapping your laces around tendon though.
Hence mostly. But a lot of people think or claim they have them when they just have an ill fitting skate or a skate with no support. If they've had an injury in the past, that's different, and can cause a lot of issues. Look at Forsberg.

But the OP's post didn't suggest any of that at all. All it suggested was a narrow ankle. And ankle rolling happens to a lot of people without permanently damaging the ankle. If you actually sprain it, that's different. I've rolled my ankle on a number of occasions, I curse a few times, put on a brace for a few days at most, and never think twice about skating.

Honestly, I think all the OP needs is an ankle brace and/or a better fitting skate. They make nice ankle braces that are sized and lace up, grab one of those. And though people say that wrapping laces is bad, I've done it before on older pairs of skates when I've wanted extra support and it worked well.
Come to think of it, those skates were CCM externos, which was the predecessor to the vectors... Be cautious with it, but give it a try. It's a pretty time honored method.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
  #9
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Hence mostly. But a lot of people think or claim they have them when they just have an ill fitting skate or a skate with no support. If they've had an injury in the past, that's different, and can cause a lot of issues. Look at Forsberg.

But the OP's post didn't suggest any of that at all. All it suggested was a narrow ankle. And ankle rolling happens to a lot of people without permanently damaging the ankle. If you actually sprain it, that's different. I've rolled my ankle on a number of occasions, I curse a few times, put on a brace for a few days at most, and never think twice about skating.

Honestly, I think all the OP needs is an ankle brace and/or a better fitting skate. They make nice ankle braces that are sized and lace up, grab one of those. And though people say that wrapping laces is bad, I've done it before on older pairs of skates when I've wanted extra support and it worked well.
Come to think of it, those skates were CCM externos, which was the predecessor to the vectors... Be cautious with it, but give it a try. It's a pretty time honored method.
Its bad for your skates. It breaks down the material on the tendon.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
  #10
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Its bad for your skates. It breaks down the material on the tendon.
I know, but if you're looking for extra support, it works well. The skates were beaters anyway, got 'em at a PIAS when I was starting out. Once I decided to stick with it, I got Synergy 800s. Don't need any extra support with those.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:34 PM
  #11
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons
 
NigelSPNKr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I know, but if you're looking for extra support, it works well. The skates were beaters anyway, got 'em at a PIAS when I was starting out. Once I decided to stick with it, I got Synergy 800s. Don't need any extra support with those.
yah, thats all i was referring to.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.