HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torrey Mitchell 3 years, 4.1 mil

Old
08-31-2009, 03:44 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Who's to say he didn't and Torrey's camp turned it down? Where are you getting this figure from except from your own estimation of what the value should be based on your own views and what's been expressed on these boards? It's one thing for fans on a message board to assess what they believe fair market value is for a player. it's another thing entirely to know what that real value is in the NHL.

I just hate that whenever a move is made or not made, all the armchair GMs pile on and throw out alternate scenarios of how things "should've" or "could've" happened even though they're based on nothing and so often do not (and really cannot) account for the variables internal to the system. "(insert player) signed for $X with team Y. Why didn't DW give him that?" when we don't know that he didn't, or that he maybe offered more, or whether or not that player had any interest in playing in San Jose. "Doug signed player Z for $A, but why didn't he offer $B for C years? That's just as fair" There are rare occurances where we do find things like this out, as was teh case with Moen. But by and large we are closed off to all of the innner workings of those proceedings, except for the end result.

It's not really feasible, but I'd love to see Joe Schmo sports fan plugged into the GM's chair of a real team for a day and have to do everything that a real GM does, just to see how easy/hard it is and how they succeed/fail at it. It's not something you can replicate with a video game or "actors" playing a script in something like a message board FA game, or fantasy hockey, or anything like that. I know that armchair management is all part of the sports fan package, but sometimes I think people forget that playing the scenario out in your head is a whole lot different than playing it out in real life.

well said nem, most times I get annoyed with what internet posters think of contracts. They want to squeeze players for as lil as they deem a player to be worth and not what real life situations demand or dictate. Unfortunatly gms have to overpay because contracts are negotiations and I'd bet my house that mitchells origional asking price was higher then what he actually signed for. Now the key is to be able to bargain players down and keep good repoire with players and their agents like dw tries or you can go the glen sather route and squeeze players and penny pinch and piss off your home grown talents.

Quote:
I'm not defending all of DW's moves here. I'm defending this one because it's a good contract for a guy who does everything right and showed no signs of regression after his injury.
As I said usually I agree about questioning singings but unfortuantly though this is one of those times. Considering mitchell is only in one of his first 3 years and hasn't played a lot of nhl games nor has he been a scorer to this point he is a replaceable part. Sharks need what he brings but with lil cap space and mitchell being unproven dw should have played hardball. Oh well s*** happens and mitchell is signed. With some luck hell prove to be worth it.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 03:49 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
You underrate Mitchell's potential/importance to this team going forward which is why you think his contract is a significant problem. I hope he proves your skepticism wrong this year.
I understand mitchells role on the team. Problem I have is how often are 2-3 year players paid this much in similar roles? Usually the kind of players that bounce from team to team are pk and 3 line grinders which at this point is what mitchell is.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:02 AM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Its hard to say if this is a good deal or a bad deal since we saw so little of him last year, and he did have a horrible broken leg, an injury that can change him

HOWEVER, after what I saw in the playoffs, 1.366~ a year doesn't sound like too much of a gamble. If his potential plays out, we get a major discout. If he bombs, then ouch. I predict a payout.

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:36 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Henrik Karlsson G 1,325,000 UFA
Logan Couture C 1,270,833 1,270,833 RFA
Nick Petrecki D 1,125,000 1,125,000 1,125,000 RFA

What exactly have these guys earned?
These are all ELS contracts, so if they aren't playing in the NHL, there's no cap hit. Karlsson won't be collecting anything but signing $$s as he's scheduled to be in Sweden all year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
does anyone know whether or not the sharks players still show up for captains ice or is that over? does anyone workout there during the week and if they do, when?? thanks for any info..Was thinkin about droppin by there 2morrow
Scheduled to continue until just before when of vets are scheduled to report to training camp.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
skilks
This is nightmare

I honestly think that by the 3rd year this contract is gonna be a great deal.

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Do you really think that a late 2nd round selection is really worth making a team that is a competitor and had a better playoff than the Sharks a better team?

If you had any knowledge of those two prospects, you'd have the idea that neither of them are going to come close to the NHL. That 55th selection is what they dealt for and I believe it's ridiculous to try and pass off the notion that you're trying to win the Stanley Cup but the team from last year has no impact additions and actually has lost an impact player to a contending team.

Comprehend this...the Sharks are not a better team than what they were last year. The Canucks had a better playoff run than this Sharks team. That Sharks team is worse. That Canucks team is better. If you're trying to win next year, you'd think that if you're trading a good player, you'd want to deal him to a team that can't hurt you.

So your answer is yes, you would have rather waived Ehrhoff and gotten nothing in return because you're concerned about how good Vancouver is.

No further questions, your honor.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
I feel stupid for even feeling the need to defend this.. I should have just stayed in the background.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
wishman

I have no issues with the money he is making the three years.

$1M in '09
$1.375 in '10
$1.725 in '11

He might be a bit overpaid this year against what he might have signed for on a one year contract. But the numbers in '10 and '11 should be fiscally good.

The issue I have is that according to capgeek he will be an UFA as soon as this contract is over. I would think a 2 or 4 year contract would have been much more appropriate from a Sharks perspective.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Hopper15

I love Mitch, I'm okay with this signing. I can't wait to have him back on the PK this year.

Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Sleepy

I thought everyone pretty much had his market value for '09 at $1M-$1.1M. I don't see how this can possibly be a bad deal. I have no idea in what world Mitchell would sign for $800k/yr for 3 years. That's a nice little fantasy land some people live in.

The Huskins one is another issue, but this contract is fine.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Not a bad signing. Missed seeing him last year out there. If he stays as a 3rd line center for 1.7 million that might be a little much though

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:25 AM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
This is a great signing and I am happy he will be in Teal for 3 more years. He had an immediate impact in the play offs. If was healthy last year, he probably would have had around 40 points. If that is the case he might have even demanded more.

Great move DW.

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
CJL182

The signing is a little expensive, but I'm in the group that believes he'll live up to it. He probably won't ever crack the top 6 unless someone gets injured, but he's a solid 3rd line center with some offensive upside. I really missed watching him play last season.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Rickety Cricket

I have many mixed feelings on this one. At first I was shocked because I expected him to sign a one year deal for around 800K in a Clowe-like deal. For the sake of the cap this year it would've been better, so I was a bit disappointed. I thought about it more and this contract isn't bad in its terms. I know he hasn't earned much but the contracts we're used to seeing in the past just aren't there anymore. A few years back defenseman like Murray weren't getting $2.5, players like Huskins weren't getting $1.7 million, etc...Contracts aren't the same today as they were in the past. In the long run this could be beneficial to the Sharks more so than my initial idea of a Clowe-like situation because if he were to sign a one year deal for $800K and has a good year he could ask for much more than $1.3 million

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
fr4ed2384

Quote:

Do you really think that a late 2nd round selection is really worth making a team that is a competitor and had a better playoff than the Sharks a better team?

That 55th selection is what they dealt for and I believe it's ridiculous to try and pass off the notion that you're trying to win the Stanley Cup but the team from last year has no impact additions and actually has lost an impact player to a contending team.

Comprehend this...the Sharks are not a better team than what they were last year. The Canucks had a better playoff run than this Sharks team. That Sharks team is worse. That Canucks team is better. If you're trying to win next year, you'd think that if you're trading a good player, you'd want to deal him to a team that can't hurt you.
Quote:
As for Ehrhoff, I would rather waive him and let the Isles claim him than make a team who went further than the Sharks in the playoffs a better team.
Why do you think this makes Van a better team ..
With the addition of Ehrhoff, Lukowich and Schneider
Van now has a caphit of $60.9Mil deferring (or eliminating) the bonus pool of $2.1Mil still leaves VAn $2Mil over the cap and still needing 1 F .. (VAn has 8 Dmen and 13 Forwards.) --

so Van needs to waiver or trade either Salo or Mitchell from the D.. to cover the $2.5 Mil ( not including the bonus pool ) and
additionally no longer has Sundin and Uhlund

fr4ed2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Well, when you put it that way , I guess it really is a small fraction, even if he was offered 800k. But it is still about the principle...he could've offered 800k but offered 1.3mil - around 40% more - what kind of overpayment are we going to expect in 4 years? Or once time comes for Pavs and Seto?
I do admit it's an overreaction on my part.

I remember my jaw dropping when I saw these numbers before... so ridiculous.
OT: It's big of you to be able to admit an over-reaction. I wish more people were willing to admit stuff.

BOT: We could have went with the one year cheapie contract and force him to prove his worth... but when he did, we'd likely have to pay more. In my eyes, he already started proving his worth in the PO's last year. He was one of the few busting his ass and did great job for someone coming back from injury. And, I think just having someone with his attitude on the team is a plus. And if one needs to rationalize... We have players that haven't even played a game making as much (close enough).

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4ed2384 View Post
Why do you think this makes Van a better team ..
With the addition of Ehrhoff, Lukowich and Schneider
Van now has a caphit of $60.9Mil deferring (or eliminating) the bonus pool of $2.1Mil still leaves VAn $2Mil over the cap and still needing 1 F .. (VAn has 8 Dmen and 13 Forwards.) --

so Van needs to waiver or trade either Salo or Mitchell from the D.. to cover the $2.5 Mil ( not including the bonus pool ) and
additionally no longer has Sundin and Uhlund
Both Salo and Mitchell have NTC's. Neither is being moved. One of O'Brian or Lukowich will be sent down (most likely) or traded. And Wellwood will probably be waived or traded.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:09 PM
AKM83
Chomp. Chomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Another overpayment by DW to keep someone in town ... I don't mind this one that much because it's not that much, but this trend has to end.
My sentiments exactly...

If I'm Pavs or Seto come contract year, based on these recent overpayments, I'm going to expect more than I'm worth too...

AKM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Welp, I'm late to the party it seems. This seems like a little too high a contract to me, I don't like giving guys who've only played one year this much (I consider 1.5 to be what a solid established 3rd liner usually gets). I haven't seen any comparable players/contracts listed (usually Easy pops in with those), does anyone know who Mitchell would be best compared to, like other 2nd year 3rd line centers who show a lot of hustle? I feel like this will be higher than those. Does this take Torrey into his UFA status?

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I thought everyone pretty much had his market value for '09 at $1M-$1.1M. I don't see how this can possibly be a bad deal. I have no idea in what world Mitchell would sign for $800k/yr for 3 years. That's a nice little fantasy land some people live in.

The Huskins one is another issue, but this contract is fine.
Exactly. I thought we'd sign him for 900K-1.1M for one year. Getting him for 1.3M for 3, I think is a job well done.

I'm not so happy with Doug right now either. But with some here it seems that anything he does from this point has to be an absolute steal for them not to tear him a new one.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
I have no issues with the money he is making the three years.

$1M in '09
$1.375 in '10
$1.725 in '11

He might be a bit overpaid this year against what he might have signed for on a one year contract. But the numbers in '10 and '11 should be fiscally good.

The issue I have is that according to capgeek he will be an UFA as soon as this contract is over. I would think a 2 or 4 year contract would have been much more appropriate from a Sharks perspective.

Good contract and spot on from my perspective presuming he will be the 3rd line centre and a fixture on the PP. Certainly his engine is a needed component on this team. Still hate the Ehrhoff/Luko deal that freed up this cap space because DW could have done better if he pulled the trigger earlier when teams had cap space, or so I believe in any case. But ... another case of water under the bridge now.

08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
shoot the puck

This is only a little more than a Million a year for the next 3 years. This is a very reasonable contract for everyone. And if Torrey is anywhere near as good as I think he's going to be, This will be a great contract for the Sharks.

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Christianmichael27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Did they say anything interesting about Error's trade?
Not really.. Only that its a business.. He did say that he was concerned that he may be traded and that he would take a serious pay cut to stay in California

Christianmichael27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
osgoodshlatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stanley 4 SJ View Post
Not really.. Only that its a business.. He did say that he was concerned that he may be traded and that he would take a serious pay cut to stay in California
who said that? seto?

osgoodshlatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoodshlatters View Post
who said that? seto?
I would assume so, since Clowe already resigned. Now, the fact that he says California bothers me a little... he better not sign with LA or Anaheim!!!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote