HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey is Destroying My Feet!

Old
08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Hockey is Destroying My Feet!

I have encountered yet another foot related problem... this one's a little creepy.

My first problem was "Bauer Bump" or Haglund's deformity... the emergence of a bump at the back of your foot where the Achilles tendon attaches. This was quite painful earlier in the year, but over the summer the associated pain had subsided.

My second problem was lace bite. I now have calcium buildup on the fronts of my ankles. The pain has significantly reduced, but I still do encounter some discomfort after about an hour or so of skating. I'm going to buy some Bunga pads this week.

---

Now I've noted that the outsides of my feet have developed a bony bump. Apparently they've been there for quite some time, but I only noticed it last night. I tied my skates up and wiggled my foot around, and noticed a little bit of discomfort (not pain, but it didn't feel right) on the side of my left foot.

Has anyone else encountered this before? Please don't say "go see a doctor". I'm going to see a foot doctor next week...

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I have encountered yet another foot related problem... this one's a little creepy.

My first problem was "Bauer Bump" or Haglund's deformity... the emergence of a bump at the back of your foot where the Achilles tendon attaches. This was quite painful earlier in the year, but over the summer the associated pain had subsided.

My second problem was lace bite. I now have calcium buildup on the fronts of my ankles. The pain has significantly reduced, but I still do encounter some discomfort after about an hour or so of skating. I'm going to buy some Bunga pads this week.

---

Now I've noted that the outsides of my feet have developed a bony bump. Apparently they've been there for quite some time, but I only noticed it last night. I tied my skates up and wiggled my foot around, and noticed a little bit of discomfort (not pain, but it didn't feel right) on the side of my left foot.

Has anyone else encountered this before? Please don't say "go see a doctor". I'm going to see a foot doctor next week...
This is probably more to do with your foot then with hockey.

Go see the Doctor!

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 12:46 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I think the thing on the outside of the foot is similar to the haglunds. I've heard of it happening before.

And just out of curiosity, do you wear socks?

And if you do want to get rid of any of those issues, it's probably best to see a dermatologist., thought the podiatrist will probably be able to help you as well.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Pierre Gotye

Lacebite can be fixed with some bunga pad gel sleeves.

I got messed up feet too, hammertoes, and some bunions. I work on a concrete surface for about 90% of the day, so that doesn't help either.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 05:45 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Custom skates are the only option for you besides quitting hockey.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Have been playing hockey since i was 7 yr old and have never experienced any of the issues you are. I would see a Sports medicine doctor or a Podiatrist.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:54 AM
sweatypickle

get skates that fit...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:04 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Have been playing hockey since i was 7 yr old and have never experienced any of the issues you are. I would see a Sports medicine doctor or a Podiatrist.

I have unusually shaped feet and run into a ton of problems getting a skate that really fits me. I think the OP is in the same boat and it's not a yacht...

Old
08-31-2009, 09:58 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I think the thing on the outside of the foot is similar to the haglunds. I've heard of it happening before.

And just out of curiosity, do you wear socks?

And if you do want to get rid of any of those issues, it's probably best to see a dermatologist., thought the podiatrist will probably be able to help you as well.
I used to wear athletic socks, but I switched to dress socks (thinner).

Old
08-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Saved*

Quote:
I used to wear athletic socks, but I switched to dress socks (thinner).
Google 'bunion'.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Custom skates are the only option for you besides quitting hockey.
I would not jump to that conclusion.

Old
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yeah, a different brand may fit much better. See if you can find a place that stocks several graf models- they have quite a few fits to choose from.

Also, if those are cotton socks, stop. Use a synthetic sock of some sort. Wicking is best. A lot of foot problems and discomfort people have in skates comes from using cotton socks, especially athletic socks. They make rubbing worse, and hold moisture against your foot.

Old
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Yeah, a different brand may fit much better. See if you can find a place that stocks several graf models- they have quite a few fits to choose from.

Also, if those are cotton socks, stop. Use a synthetic sock of some sort. Wicking is best. A lot of foot problems and discomfort people have in skates comes from using cotton socks, especially athletic socks. They make rubbing worse, and hold moisture against your foot.
This is true, I have this bone bump on my right heel and it started with my new skates a few months ago. I have since been using a different non-cotton sock with favorable results. My problem also came from a footbed that I bought that raised the footbed thickness higher than the footbed that came with skate and it caused a poor fit on one heel. I have reverted back to the footbed that came with the skate and the inflammation has been drastically reduced.

I no longer am bothered with that flare up and pain and the bump seems to have almost completely healed and is pain free and has gotten smaller but has not gone away.

I was wondering what that was so thanks for posting about this you guys .... I knew it was the heel not fitting properly in the skate with either rubbing or pressure on that spot which causes this.

Thanks again you guys .... this forum rules butt.

As far as the lacebite goes the OP must be tightening his laces too tight. I used to get lacebite but started not tightening that part of the skate too tight. I thighten the toe part pretty tight and the front of the ankle not so tight and then i tighten the ankle tops pretty tight but not too tight either.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Biggzy*

I upgraded my skates and it completely got rid of lacebite.

I used to have Bauer Vapors IX or XI. I now went to a Bauer One55 and got a smaller size than normal. These skates are awesome I just need to break em in to get rid of the blisters.

Maybe your skates are too big? I didn't realize how skates were actually supposed to fit until I got a smaller pair. I have much more control now.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
noobman

Note the lump around the middle of the footside. It actually doesn't look as bad on camera

edit: This is my left foot. The identical bump appears on my right foot.

Old
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

Note the lump around the middle of the footside. It actually doesn't look as bad on camera

Yeah I can see it just fine. You obviously have a pressure point causing bone growth.

I would either get new skates that fit better or kncoking that part where it is making contact out to relieve pressure on that spot when you play.

it sucks but fact is fact. I need to do this with my right heel of my skate and will tomorrow after reading this thread.

Thanks again guys for being informative about this, now I know what this is.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

I thought this has been common knowledge since like 92.

Old
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

I would be more concerned about your big toe, that is gnarly!

Old
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I upgraded my skates and it completely got rid of lacebite.

I used to have Bauer Vapors IX or XI. I now went to a Bauer One55 and got a smaller size than normal. These skates are awesome I just need to break em in to get rid of the blisters.

Maybe your skates are too big? I didn't realize how skates were actually supposed to fit until I got a smaller pair. I have much more control now.
A big factor in that could also have been the tongue. They put nicer tongues in nicer skates, with thick felt on some skates or padded tongues with plastic inserts on others. Both work, but a lot of guys have preference based on feel. Lower end skates will have thinner felt or just a padded tongue with no insert.

You could buy pro felt tongues and have them installed. That could help the lacebite too.

You're also right in that size can have an impact. If the skate is too big, the laces will come up too high on the ankle and dig in more as your foot flexes forward. Big reason few people complain about lacebite with lower cut skates- the higher you go, the more pressure on the front of the ankle as you flex forward. It's a big reason a lot of guys don't lace the top eyelet.

Old
09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
greyraven8

I have a bump at the back of my foot just above my heel.

It turned out to be a ganglion which I had removed at the same time I had my ingrown big toes done; the bump isn't as pronounced as it once was but it is still there. Ganglions can come back.
It wasn't that painful but could be annoying at some times.

It may have been caused by repeatedly blocking slap shots there, maybe not. I remember getting hit in the same spot 3 times in one game in that location.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
myhockeyfootdoc

Foot problems!?!?!

Canadabacon...........

Sorry to hear about all the skate problems. I am a 3rd year podiatric medical student, and hopefully will be able to offer some helpful advice:

It is in fact a projection of bone off the side of your foot (base of your 5th metatarsal) that is rubbing your skate, and causing you the pain. It is your bodys natural defense to react to stress placed upon it (Wolfe's Law of bone).

As everyone one this site knows, NOT SKATING is definately out of the question. You could try to have the skate "punched" in that area to increase the amount of room in that specific area. Most proshops offer this service. Only bad part is it decreases the integrity of the boot, so it will break down the boot a little bit quicker. I have Vapor XXX's and had to punch the heel out on both for my Haglunds (which is massive, trust me), and the boot has broken down a bit quicker than I was hoping.

In addition to getting the skate punched, some type of donut pad over the bony prominence could help. Type in donut pad in google images to see a picture of what they look like. Put the hole over the most prominent area, and try to make everything "flesh" (use thick enough felt) so that your bone doesnt stick out past circle in the pad. This should offload the area, and disperse the forces causing it to irritate. Only drawback is keeping it in place, and accomodating for more room in a (probably) tight area of skate.

It's unfortunate that hockey skates tear apart our feet so much, but the stiff boot allows us to be able to maneuver in a manner that would otherwise break our ankles. As it has been said, its the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the advice helps!

myhockeyfootdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

My advice, stop skating for a while before it gets worse...

Old
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Peter Forsberg, is that you?

Seriously, consult a podiatrist.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhockeyfootdoc View Post
Canadabacon...........

Sorry to hear about all the skate problems. I am a 3rd year podiatric medical student, and hopefully will be able to offer some helpful advice:

It is in fact a projection of bone off the side of your foot (base of your 5th metatarsal) that is rubbing your skate, and causing you the pain. It is your bodys natural defense to react to stress placed upon it (Wolfe's Law of bone).

As everyone one this site knows, NOT SKATING is definately out of the question. You could try to have the skate "punched" in that area to increase the amount of room in that specific area. Most proshops offer this service. Only bad part is it decreases the integrity of the boot, so it will break down the boot a little bit quicker. I have Vapor XXX's and had to punch the heel out on both for my Haglunds (which is massive, trust me), and the boot has broken down a bit quicker than I was hoping.

In addition to getting the skate punched, some type of donut pad over the bony prominence could help. Type in donut pad in google images to see a picture of what they look like. Put the hole over the most prominent area, and try to make everything "flesh" (use thick enough felt) so that your bone doesnt stick out past circle in the pad. This should offload the area, and disperse the forces causing it to irritate. Only drawback is keeping it in place, and accomodating for more room in a (probably) tight area of skate.

It's unfortunate that hockey skates tear apart our feet so much, but the stiff boot allows us to be able to maneuver in a manner that would otherwise break our ankles. As it has been said, its the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the advice helps!
Thanks, good post. I dont have skate problems though

Old
09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
myhockeyfootdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Thanks, good post. I dont have skate problems though
My apologies if I made an assumption! I thought based on reading your posts that you only noticed the pain after/during skating, or never had the problem on that part of your foot before skating. I assume the pain has since resolved?

I would also agree to go see a podiatrist . No need for things to get worse!

myhockeyfootdoc is offline   Reply With Quote