HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Simila adjusting to life in Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2009, 06:10 AM
  #1
crystal ball
Registered User
 
crystal ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Simila adjusting to life in Canada

Here's a little story about Petteri Simila at the Niagara Ice Dogs' camp:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=1717132

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
  #2
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 14,405
vCash: 500
Good for him, hopefully he does well.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 06:32 AM
  #3
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'm glad to see he went straight for NA hockey, he didn't stay a year or two in the Finnish league.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:11 AM
  #4
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Can someone explain me how come some of these Finnish players (and I could add most European born players) are staying home because they must do their military service, while some like Simila can do without ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:20 AM
  #5
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Can someone explain me how come some of these Finnish players (and I could add most European born players) are staying home because they must do their military service, while some like Simila can do without ?
Cuz he's a Finnish Pimp

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:24 AM
  #6
murrough
Registered User
 
murrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Can someone explain me how come some of these Finnish players (and I could add most European born players) are staying home because they must do their military service, while some like Simila can do without ?
It must be done before age 28 (iirc) or face some consequences that I no longer remember. Most boys choose to do it at age of 18-20 or so.

murrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:55 AM
  #7
Universe
Patiently waiting.
 
Universe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
He lives just a couple blocks from me. Definately going to try and catch a game this year.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
  #8
crystal ball
Registered User
 
crystal ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
He lives just a couple blocks from me. Definately going to try and catch a game this year.
I guess it's hard to miss him in the lineup at the grocery store!

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 08:16 AM
  #9
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Can someone explain me how come some of these Finnish players (and I could add most European born players) are staying home because they must do their military service, while some like Simila can do without ?
What makes you think he didn't do it?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
  #10
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Can anyone confirm that he's training with Pekka Rinne's coach?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
  #11
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Can anyone confirm that he's training with Pekka Rinne's coach?
I don't think he is.

I think he would of if he was in Finland but coming to NA changed that, IIRC.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
  #12
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Trevor Timmins said he was, and that in next years draft he would be projected a 1st round pick, hence why we went for him.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:22 PM
  #13
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,678
vCash: 500
Of course they had to pair him with DeSousa.....Boston invited him at their camp just to play with Simila's head....freakin Bruins....

Joking aside, DeSousa is a pretty good invitation for the Bruins.

As far as Simila is concerned, you have to love his attitude. But people here should read that article and especially remember the part about "not expecting too much".....Niagara won't be strong to say the least this year....might be worst than last year especially with no Pietrangelo around...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
  #14
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 500
lets just hope he's closer to what jaroslav halak was in lewiston than Robert Mayer in saint-john.....

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
  #15
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Of course they had to pair him with DeSousa.....Boston invited him at their camp just to play with Simila's head....freakin Bruins....

Joking aside, DeSousa is a pretty good invitation for the Bruins.

As far as Simila is concerned, you have to love his attitude. But people here should read that article and especially remember the part about "not expecting too much".....Niagara won't be strong to say the least this year....might be worst than last year especially with no Pietrangelo around...
Well that is a good thing. Goalies getting peppered in juniors helps build character and learning experience.

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
  #16
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Well that is a good thing. Goalies getting peppered in juniors helps build character and learning experience.
I hope so. And I will remind myself what I just wrote, 'cause seeing Missiaen getting peppered and not exactly responding to the challenge already made me cringed a little.....Patience.....let's be patient.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
  #17
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Trevor Timmins said he was, and that in next years draft he would be projected a 1st round pick, hence why we went for him.
not really...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
  #18
91
Registered User
 
91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the ghetto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Niagara won't be strong to say the least this year....might be worst than last year especially with no Pietrangelo around...
Simila (from the sounds of it) played pretty well in his first pre-season action. He only let in 1 goal (he didn't start the game he split it with another goaltender) He seems to be playing much better than our last 2 supposedly good goalies, Max Engelbrecht and John Cullen.

I think Niagara is better off without Pietrangelo to be quite honest. I like the duo we have in net and our new incoming defenseman are probably much better than Alex defensively because well... hes just not that great on the defensive side of the puck in my honest opinion. The Dogs will be in good shape if they get some stellar goaltending from Simila, he has the right attitude.

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
  #19
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAstles91 View Post
Simila (from the sounds of it) played pretty well in his first pre-season action. He only let in 1 goal (he didn't start the game he split it with another goaltender) He seems to be playing much better than our last 2 supposedly good goalies, Max Engelbrecht and John Cullen.

I think Niagara is better off without Pietrangelo to be quite honest. I like the duo we have in net and our new incoming defenseman are probably much better than Alex defensively because well... hes just not that great on the defensive side of the puck in my honest opinion. The Dogs will be in good shape if they get some stellar goaltending from Simila, he has the right attitude.
Thanks for the info, I'm hoping he does well and the Ice Dogs have a solid season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.