HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Smith retires.

Old
09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
For all the Ottawa fans, Campoli does NOT equal Corvo. Corvo can play defense, Campoli can't. I'd love for Campoli to prove me wrong though, but the comparisons from him to Corvo are not accurate.

Anyways about Jason Smith, he was a great player and a great guy with a great career. He was a lot of fun to watch when he was on the Flyers.

Corvo's an overall better offensive D-man, but man...he can't play D to save his life. He really can't. He was part of so many cluster ****s here, that I actually lost count. And he can be pushed around.

I loved Corvo for his speed and authority through the neutral zone - and his shot from the point. His defense? Less than stellar.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Considering his ~$2m hit, and Ottawa's cap trouble at the time, I wonder if he was convinced to retire? It's a conspiracy theory, I know, but it seems pretty convenient for Ottawa, that's all!

Definitely echo the "warrior" sentiments though, Smith was a machine.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Dear Ottawa Fans,

Just because your D played well for 3 months one spring does not mean that D is any good. It means it played well for 3 months. Just because your d is, in your opinion, as good as the team D that got you to the cup finals doesn't mean your current D is anything more than average. If that.

Thanks

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
It might be around the same calibre of D that got them to the Finals in 2007, but that calibre of D isn't good enough anymore.
This. And that was the point I was trying to make. You need another top pairing defencman....

And even that doesn't garuntee a playoff spot.... if Heatly stays, who knows what Ottawa is going to play like... if Heatly goes, who knows what Ottawa is going to play like.

That said, this is a Jason Smith thread. Lets leave it at that.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Dear Ottawa Fans,

Just because your D played well for 3 months one spring does not mean that D is any good. It means it played well for 3 months. Just because your d is, in your opinion, as good as the team D that got you to the cup finals doesn't mean your current D is anything more than average. If that.

Thanks
^^^This

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Dear Ottawa Fans,

Thanks
WHatever, we have all the pieces we need for a very good D-core. We really retooled the offensive side during the year last year (and hence, started playing much better in part because of it). We also have an excellent group of D-prospects. We have elite defensive d-men in Phillips and Volchenkov, and I am in fact quite please with it (as I view the #1 all situations D as not necessary when you have players who can play each of the roles required very well).

We shall of course see, but I think Ottawa is going to be much better than HF and the media believes at the present time. Much better.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:43 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
It might be around the same calibre of D that got them to the Finals in 2007, but that calibre of D isn't good enough anymore.
Uh, only 2 years have passed since, and the D behind the team that's made the final out of the East these past two years has been Gonchar/Letang/Orpik/Scuderi/Gill/(Whitney/Eaton) . I don't see that as evidence that the required calibre of defense required to win the East has gone up. If that list is top-to-bottom-better than Ottawa 07, it's not by much.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:43 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

One of my favourite players out there so I was really happy to see him sign with Ottawa. It was short obviously, but Ill always remember his OT goal vs. Dallas, probably my favourite play of the year for us in a down year.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
masterandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
WHatever, we have all the pieces we need for a very good D-core. We really retooled the offensive side during the year last year (and hence, started playing much better in part because of it). We also have an excellent group of D-prospects. We have elite defensive d-men in Phillips and Volchenkov, and I am in fact quite please with it (as I view the #1 all situations D as not necessary when you have players who can play each of the roles required very well).

We shall of course see, but I think Ottawa is going to be much better than HF and the media believes at the present time. Much better.
Agreed.. This really opens up a spot for Erik Karlsson. If he makes the team, I hope he gets ton of PP time and lights it up. I seriously think he'll be a Calder finalist when it's all said and done. heheh

No point in arguing, all HF is basing on are the last two seasons Ottawa has had. Were coming in as major underdogs and I like this role. We're gonna surprise a lot of teams and then talk smack.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Mach 9*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Redden was a disaster that season. Didn't turn his game around until February and everybody was sheltered behind Phillips/Volchenkov to some extent (though most playoff teams we faced had 2 even offensive lines).
Meszaros didn't turn his game around until Game 1 of the postseason.
Corvo and Preissing were terrible until January, when they became reliable bottom pairing D-men.

The team made the Cup Finals because everybody was committed to team defense, not because our defense was great.

Redden/Meszaros vs. Kuba/Lee? ... I'd probably still take the first pair if their salaries weren't so disproportionate. But defensively, I take Kuba/Lee (as a pair and each individually compared to Redden/Meszaros).
See, you would take Redden and Meszaros salaries aside. Good decision. So back to what I've said, this group of Sens d-men is not the same as 07. Weak imo. Am I that wrong?

The only real disaster was Gerber. Sure, Redden had his ups and down and ran into some injuries that season but he still was #1 Sens d-men. As soon as Emery was in the end things changed.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Considering his ~$2m hit, and Ottawa's cap trouble at the time, I wonder if he was convinced to retire? It's a conspiracy theory, I know, but it seems pretty convenient for Ottawa, that's all!
OR,

they signed Kovalev knowing full-well that Smith was on the verge of retirement, so they never worried about being over the cap...regardless of the Heatley situation.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:53 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
See, you would take Redden and Meszaros salaries aside. Good decision. So back to what I've said, this group of Sens d-men is not the same as 07. Weak imo. Am I that wrong?

The only real disaster was Gerber. Sure, Redden had his ups and down and ran into some injuries that season but he still was #1 Sens d-men. As soon as Emery was in the end things changed.
Phillips/Volchenkov were the #1 dmen. Redden was a 3/4 guy and wasn't very good. Just because on paper hes on a top of a depth chart means nothing. Redden has been not very good ever since his mom died, I dont know if theres a correlation or not, but thats when his play started to deteriorate.

Our D is different, I dont really give a **** about comparing the two D's because 07 has been over and done with for awhile. One thing I will say is IMO, our goaltending now has been significantly upgraded, which I think is something that should not be overlooked.
Anyway I was trying to bite my tongue since this is about Jason Smith, im weak willed I guess.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
deanmoriarty

Sheer badass

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
zenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Phillips < Phillips 2007
Volchenkov > Volchenkov 2007
Kuba > Redden
Lee = Meszaros 2007
Campoli > Corvo 2007
Karlsson/Picard = Preissing

First of all, Redden was terrible after 05-06. Second of all, implying Chara was on SCF team =

Corvo 06-07 > Campoli This is obvious.
Kuba = Redden 06-07

Redden was in his decline during 06-07. He wasn't a #1 or 2 d-man anymore, but he was still a #3. He declined further the next 2 seasons leaving the shell you have today.

Preissing 06-07 > Picard

Volchy is not better than he was in 06-07. He plays smarter, but is more banged up and hobbled.

So the Sens D on paper is worse than 06-07, but not by a huge amount.

The wildcard is Karlsson. He can make the D corps a lot better if he can play as the #6 d-man in the Preissing role, and quarterback the powerplay successfully.

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Phillips/Volchenkov were the #1 dmen. Redden was a 3/4 guy and wasn't very good. Just because on paper hes on a top of a depth chart means nothing. Redden has been not very good ever since his mom died, I dont know if theres a correlation or not, but thats when his play started to deteriorate.

Our D is different, I dont really give a **** about comparing the two D's because 07 has been over and done with for awhile. One thing I will say is IMO, our goaltending now has been significantly upgraded, which I think is something that should not be overlooked.
Anyway I was trying to bite my tongue since this is about Jason Smith, im weak willed I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenator View Post
Corvo 06-07 > Campoli This is obvious.
Kuba = Redden 06-07

Redden was in his decline during 06-07. He wasn't a #1 or 2 d-man anymore, but he was still a #3. He declined further the next 2 seasons leaving the shell you have today.

Preissing 06-07 > Picard

Volchy is not better than he was in 06-07. He plays smarter, but is more banged up and hobbled.

So the Sens D on paper is worse than 06-07, but not by a huge amount.

The wildcard is Karlsson. He can make the D corps a lot better if he can play as the #6 d-man in the Preissing role, and quarterback the powerplay successfully.
there... Thats what I basically said.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
zenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Wow then he really upped his game in Carolina.

For sure. Corvo was at times Ozolinsh like back in 06-07. He was also really weak at taking the man: just wasn't strong enough with the leverage.

His defense has improved each year since. He's not exactly a defensive stalwart, but you don't have to fear when he's on the ice.

Campoli has never shown close to the dynamism of Corvo. And I find him weak defensively, more that he isn't strong enough than him making blunders. But 06-07 Corvo is still better than Campoli.

Old
09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Great career for the longest lasting captain in Oilers history. I hope you can enjoy your life now, that being a warrior is now over.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Jimmy McNulty

Whoever said that Jason Smith was a warrior is dead on. Nice to see him getting some recognition for that. It's too bad that he never won a cup (didn't get enough games with NJ; just missed with Edmonton) as he's the kind of guy you like to see hoisting the cup. Still, he had a very solid career (1,000 games).

Personally, I loved the guy on my NHL 2k* franchises.

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
minus that redden guy and chara ?
Kuba is better than Redden was that year, and Chara was in Boston, which, contrary to popular belief, didn't help us on our way to the finals. And according to HFboards we had 3 top 60 dmen... meaning top pairing. So to he who said we have no top pairing, please HF, make up your mind.
But, I digress...
Congrats on a great career Jason, and well done on knowing when your time had come. Hope to hell that you get a job in the organization.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
zenator

It was mentioned in the press conference that Smith and his family are staying in Ottawa. Also, Murray said that in the future, perhaps they would get together and give Smith a job in the organization when he decides he wants to get back into hockey.

Congrats on a great career, Jason Smith. It's too bad we didn't get you in your prime, but I'm glad he played for the Sens.

Old
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
nycbruins*

Now can we hope for the Sens' sake that Heatley just grows up/mans up or whatever and the team can forgive him?

Nobody is really in a position to trade for him this late in the off-season. If Heatley and Clouston etc. can move on, I could see the Sens making the playoffs and being an underdog scary 1st round opponent.

But it still seems like the vibe and lockerroom atmosphere still reeks of the carnage of the 2007-2008 season. Any chance it can improve while still keeping Heatley?

As for the topic, I always liked Jason Smith. Cliched by now, but a true warrior. I also can admire passing up $2.6 million if he's not feeling it. Most guys would go through the motions, sit on the bench, be a salary cap impingement, maybe even milk an injury for another year just to collect the rest of his money.

Smith leaves as he played. A team-first battler who didn't have it in him to take such abuse for another year, so he gracefully bowed out while leaving great money on the table.

Good for you Jason.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
OR,

they signed Kovalev knowing full-well that Smith was on the verge of retirement, so they never worried about being over the cap...regardless of the Heatley situation.
Smith approached Murray 10 days ago actually. But even without Smith retiring, we could easily get under the cap.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Christ

Loved Smith. It was probably one of the dumbest moves that the Leafs made during the '90's to trade him to Edmonton. He developed into the exact kind of defenseman that the team needed most in the days when we could make the playoffs.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Mach 9*

Either way, we finally have A good goali

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote