HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Smith retires.

Old
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
It's sad to see that a thread about a great hockey player and nice guy retiring has turned into a thread arguing about lineups.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do JS.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Its virtually the same as the D core that took us to the SCF.
If you consider 2/6 the same core then I'll agree with you

Also since Smith is on a multi year contract over 35, doesn't that mean the cap hit stays?

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Also since Smith is on a multi year contract over 35, doesn't that mean the cap hit stays?
No, his cap hit is gone. You have to sign the contract after 35 for it to remain on the cap.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Dear Ottawa Fans,

Just because your D played well for 3 months one spring does not mean that D is any good. It means it played well for 3 months. Just because your d is, in your opinion, as good as the team D that got you to the cup finals doesn't mean your current D is anything more than average. If that.

Thanks
I dunno, the team doesn't have stellar D, but Karlsson, Wiercioch and Cowen are all on the horizon. That's gonna be one heck of a blue line soon.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
It's sad to see that a thread about a great hockey player and nice guy retiring has turned into a thread arguing about lineups.

+++++. The arguing should be somewhere else..

Yes, Smith was a warrior and the ultimate team player.
Good luck in the future Jason and thanks for some great memories.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post

I'm glad someone said it.

The word has been used probably 20 times in this thread already and I'm going to bust it out again. Warrior is the only way to describe Jason Smith. The Oilers could have used his heart last season. He was always one of the best captains in the league but got overlooked because he wasn't his team's best player. It's nice to see him getting respect right now.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

You were a warrior kid, hell of a career

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:46 PM
The Fuhr*

People slagging the Redden from the cup run have no clue. The dude could still make tape to tape stretch passes, he had a 14-16 game streak in the playoffs where he was only on the ice for 4-5 goals against (all ES), and players such as Corvo and Kelly came out saying his leadership and calming influence were instrumental for the OT games.

Kuba can't even bring half of that.

Sorry to take away from Smith, but some people were giving off corrupted information.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

jason smith is NOT going to read this thread on this board so why feel bad about not giving meaningless props to a man you have never meet who could likely careless what anyone on this board thinks/says?

now Ottawa should be under the cap and if they manage to trade heatley and get "some" cap relief in doing so they cand possibly pursue another FA forward.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Jacques Strap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
You wish!!

Quote:
jason smith is NOT going to read this thread on this board so why feel bad about not giving meaningless props to a man you have never meet who could likely careless what anyone on this board thinks/says?
I heard that he does, in fact, intend to read through this thread while masticating a 6" Italian BMT.

Jacques Strap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:06 PM
tiz

Great career, one of my favourites to watch.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
State of Hockey

He'll always be an Oiler when I think of Smith. Tough as they come.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
No, his cap hit is gone. You have to sign the contract after 35 for it to remain on the cap.
More accurately, you have to be 35 the day before the start of the year in which the contract is to take effect for it to remain on the cap.

For Jason Smith, this is an irrelevant difference. But for cases like Pronger's, it's the source of much confusion. It has nothing to do with age when the contract is signed - it has to to do with age at the start of the league year in which the contract is set to begin (less a day).

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Sens4thecup

will he stay on a coaching role now??

Sens4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
nsoilfan

jason your awsome

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
For all the Ottawa fans, Campoli does NOT equal Corvo. Corvo can play defense, Campoli can't. I'd love for Campoli to prove me wrong though, but the comparisons from him to Corvo are not accurate.

Anyways about Jason Smith, he was a great player and a great guy with a great career. He was a lot of fun to watch when he was on the Flyers.
Campoli 2009 > Corvo 2007

He was a defensive liability pure and simple. Tom Preissing saved his *** on regular occasion. I have always said it back then the only thing he had was his walk-the-line move on the blueline and decent passing skills. He's undoubtfully better now but that has nothing to do with the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
People slagging the Redden from the cup run have no clue. The dude could still make tape to tape stretch passes, he had a 14-16 game streak in the playoffs where he was only on the ice for 4-5 goals against (all ES), and players such as Corvo and Kelly came out saying his leadership and calming influence were instrumental for the OT games.

Sorry to take away from Smith, but some people were giving off corrupted information.
That was in the playoffs only, agreed he was quite good there but he was terrible during the regular season. I remember nicknaming the Meszaros/Redden pairing the "headache pairing". So many turnovers, terrible defensive plays and mistakes. They did turn it on in the playoffs though.

We haven't gotten a taste of Kuba yet in the playoffs but he hit 40 points last season and is very solid defensively. That's more than enough to give him the > sign on Redden who hit 35 points while being moronic in his own zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4thecup View Post
will he stay on a coaching role now??
Hopefullly, the guys a warrior and I would love for him to stay in the organization.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Luigi Lemieux

ouch, he'd rather retire than be a part of that toxic ottawa locker room huh.

the players that left might not be as good now, but at the time redden, corvo, and preissing were all excellent at moving the puck. whatever the senators put out last year was horrible at it, bottom line. volchenkov and phillips also seem to have regressed somewhat. it's certainly not the same corps. the proof is the fact that the senators have not been a good team since december 2007.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Guy was a bad ass.

Still the ultimate team player, retiring to save the Sens from cap hell.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Thanks bud, was not sure if he had fallen under that. Good news for the Sens in that case

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
The Chef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Guy was a bad ass.

Still the ultimate team player, retiring to save the Sens from cap hell.
Take out the ""

1. It's stupid and I hate it.
2. It's true.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post

I have to say I respect your and NyQuills posts when it comes to Sens. Most of them are 100% correct.

Got to say NyQuill did **** up about Gerber but usually you guys are good.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
ouch, he'd rather retire than be a part of that toxic ottawa locker room huh.

the players that left might not be as good now, but at the time redden, corvo, and preissing were all excellent at moving the puck. whatever the senators put out last year was horrible at it, bottom line. volchenkov and phillips also seem to have regressed somewhat. it's certainly not the same corps. the proof is the fact that the senators have not been a good team since december 2007.
I would give the nod to Preissing and Corvo, they did move the puck well. Meszaros and Redden were nothing special though, while Redden's first pass used to be lethal he got awfully sloppy with it and often made some lethal turnovers. After they went to their respective teams, their point totals cratered. I would expect more out of Meszaros, but Redden was just as garbage for us as he is for the Rangers.

To start the year though, transition was a huge problem due to the system and the selection of players. We started the year with:

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Schubert-Picard

Issue with the system was that we were not executing our breakout at a reasonable pace, and our forwards were not allowed to advance too far up the ice and had to hang back a lot more. The result was a lack of transition game, and it was easier to forecheck the Senators. The selection of players did not help much either, the only players who brought a semblance of puck movement was Kuba, and Picard. This is the reason why the Senators transition game collapsed and Hartsburg was fired.

When Clouston was hired, the first thing he addressed is the breakout and transition. He made some fundamental changes to our system and our previous issues with the breakout was resolved. You can even check his comments in his introductory presser that this is one of the areas he prioritized as being in need of change. The team also made some changes with the backend and next years Defense will be very different from the way we started last year:

Phillips-Kuba
Volchenkov-Lee
Campoli-Karlsson/Picard

That's a big swing from where we started the year and we have the system to compliment the players. Kuba, Lee, Campoli, and either of Karlsson or Picard should be able to move the puck and make great outlet passes. Our puck movement overall is much closer to where it was when we had Preissing, Corvo, and Redden, so I'm not too concerned.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

He was a warrior and a great captain. I loved him as an Oiler and I was really sad to see him moved.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:22 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

I got nothing but respect for Jason Smith. A true warrior in the game.

All the best to him in whatever he chooses to do next.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 50
Quote:
Our defense is merely headless. A 50 point offensive D-man would make all the difference. Then everybody could slot in just perfectly into:

1)
2) Kuba (1st PP, 2nd PK)
3) Phillips (1st PK)
4) Volchenkov (1st PK)
5) B.Lee (2nd PP, 2nd PK)
6) Campoli (2nd PP)
7) Picard
8) Schubert

Instead, I think there's a decent probability that you see Alfredsson or Kovalev man the right point on the 1st PP.

kk this were the oilers come in we have visnovsky, souray, grebs and gilbert take ur pick but get ready to pay big time for them

and please dont offer heatly

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote