HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jason Smith retires.

Old
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
For all the Ottawa fans, Campoli does NOT equal Corvo. Corvo can play defense, Campoli can't. I'd love for Campoli to prove me wrong though, but the comparisons from him to Corvo are not accurate.

Anyways about Jason Smith, he was a great player and a great guy with a great career. He was a lot of fun to watch when he was on the Flyers.
corvo couldnt back then either.

The idea was that the toronto troll made fun of our defence, saying it wasnt going to cut it. Someone pointed out that the defence is virtually the same as a former sens defence that did cut it. I'll stand by that comparison, and i'm sure anyone that watched the senators a bunch in both 07 and last year would stand by it as well.

Gator will be missed, but i did expect this. He wasnt good enough last season and was basically not going to make the team this year. Sens probably told him that he was going to get sent to the AHL, and rather than risk the embarrassment, he bowed out.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:40 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

is there a way he can sign a nother contract

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

if there is i would want him to sign as a oiler playiing with smid and we trade staios

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 05:12 PM
STAALing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
Sheer badass

nuff said

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Predatials

One of my favorite defensemen, especially his Oilers years. Great career, great guy as already mentioned.

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Hopefullly, the guys a warrior and I would love for him to stay in the organization.
Why would he stay with the Sens organization after playing ONE year with them. He most likely will be part of the Oilers organization when he is ready. Maybe an assistant coach on their AHL team or maybe a scout.

Anyways, Jason Smith in his prime is exactly what the Oilers need right now. Tough, gritty shutdown defensemen that oozes leadership and comes to play every single night. He was one of the best captains Edmonton has ever had. Unfortunately, the game has passed by him and he was a borderline 6th defensemen this year likely.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why would he stay with the Sens organization after playing ONE year with them. He most likely will be part of the Oilers organization when he is ready. Maybe an assistant coach on their AHL team or maybe a scout.
He said in the press conference he's going to live in Ottawa for a bit, so you never know.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Philly85
Raps'

He's coming back home to Alberta, without a doubt.

Jason Smith, you are a mother****ing warrior. God bless you and enjoy your hard earned, well timed retirement.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Jason Smith was not very effective his last few seasons but in his prime as an Oiler he was a joy to watch. A lot of heart and determination, he really embodied what Canadian hockey is seen as.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
ouch, he'd rather retire than be a part of that toxic ottawa locker room huh.

the players that left might not be as good now, but at the time redden, corvo, and preissing were all excellent at moving the puck. whatever the senators put out last year was horrible at it, bottom line. volchenkov and phillips also seem to have regressed somewhat. it's certainly not the same corps. the proof is the fact that the senators have not been a good team since december 2007.
Redden was terrible on the cup run.

And Ottawa was a good team for part of last year. Clouston had them on pace for over 100 points. So saying they havent been a good team since 12/07 is not accurate.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
keslehr*

I guess everyone can stop throwing him into most Heatley proposals now. He was good in his prime in Edmonton.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Thx for everything Jason. Wish we had him in his prime. Good news for the cap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Are you saying that you are going to SCF with that D? Get real...

What does Volchenkov > Volchenkov in 2007 mean? You get double Volchenkov or something? Actually Volchenkov is becoming injury prone d-men now days.

Campoli better then Corvo is also very debatable.

Pressing had career year scored about 40pts that year, no way Karlsson/Picard are better

Lee = Meszaros are you on drugs? wtf is wrong with you?

Chara was in Boston and I think Redden was a better player back then.
The team got carried away by the big 3 (Alfie, Spezza, Heatley), the 2-way play of guys like Fisher, Kelly, Vermette, Neil + shutdown duo of Phillips-Volchenkov and the decent goaltening (for once) of Emery.

I dunno why you are debating Sens players with Sens fans (unless you watched all the Sens games) but :

- Phillips still has in it him, even if he had a bad season last year

- Redden declined so fast since 05-06, it's not even funny. Kuba is now way better. He was still key for us in 06-07 but it was become evident that we shouldn't extend him

- Volchenkov improved since 2007, not by a big margin but still

-Campoli could potentially be better on the Sens than Corvo was. Joe was horrible defensively in Ottawa and his career really took off with the Canes. Corvo strenght was his "puck-rushing". Campoli is fast too and could put up a lot of points in Ottawa.

- Lee is already better defensively than Meszaros was in Ottawa in 07. Meszaros regressed a lot after his stellar rookie season. IF Lee finds more of his offensive game, he would become a better player than Meszaros hands down

- It's true that Pressing had a career year in 06-07, probably because he was on a very good team, but Picard is not there yet even if he is able to contribute offensively.

Today's defense has more potential than 07 defense, particulary if Karlsson makes the team... And after that, you got Cowen and Wiercioch coming up

The difference is experience as Lee, Campoli, Picard and Karlsson are all inexperienced young guys

Quote:
For all the Ottawa fans, Campoli does NOT equal Corvo. Corvo can play defense, Campoli can't. I'd love for Campoli to prove me wrong though, but the comparisons from him to Corvo are not accurate.
Campoli on his 25 games in Ottawa showed that he is a better defender than Corvo WAS with Ottawa in 06-07. Corvo was a turnover machine and was losing like 80% of his puck-battles. Corvo vs Campoli will be easier to compare in a couple years, players are not in the same stage of their career. Corvo at 24 wasn't really as good as today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post

And Ottawa was a good team for part of last year. Clouston had them on pace for over 100 points. So saying they havent been a good team since 12/07 is not accurate.
Well, finally the Sens were just bad in the 2008 calendar year. I don't have the exact numbers but they started the 07-08 season going 15-2 and they finished the 08-09 season going 23-14-5 in the last 42 games (100 points pace in the 2nd half)

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Jason Smith was not very effective his last few seasons but in his prime as an Oiler he was a joy to watch. A lot of heart and determination, he really embodied what Canadian hockey is seen as.
There aren't many guys in the league like Smith was in his prime. Regehr comes to mind. However, I'd probably take Smith in his prime over Regehr now. Some will argue against me but I don't care. He was still at the top of his game the year the Oilers went to the Finals. People forget that Pronger was given the job of shutting down Thornton and Smith had Cheechoo. Sharks went up 2-0 in the series. After that they switched and Smith had Thornton...he looked useless the rest of the series and the Oilers won 4 straight.

He was a shot blocking machine.

Last season: 25th in NHL
2007-08: 3rd in NHL
2006-07: 2nd in NHL
2005-06: 7th in NHL

Off Topic: I don't know if these stats are right it sure seems like shot blocking has increased dramatically. In 2002-03 Willie Mitchell lead the league in blocked shots with 65. Last season Zbynek Michalek lead the league with 271 blocks....Rafalski had 64 and was ranked 161.

Last edited by Wheatking: 09-02-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:32 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
For all the Ottawa fans, Campoli does NOT equal Corvo. Corvo can play defense

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:

what made ottawa so great was their high level puck movement, and that stems from the defense. i haven't seen that from them in a long time.

closing out the season well doesn't mean much considering ottawa was well out of it and was playing in a bunch of no pressure games against teams that were probably taking them lightly. the 03-04 pens, one of the worst squads ever iced, finished the season 12-5.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Sad to see him go. He was great as an Oiler.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
He said in the press conference he's going to live in Ottawa for a bit, so you never know.
Of course he is, they have to give him a fake job so he can still get his money for doing them this favour.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:18 AM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

Good solid player, and a warrior in the playoffs. Best of luck jason!

CANUCKER4LIFE19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:59 AM
dali

Smith was always one of my favourite players. Tough, uncompromised and quite solid defensively. Smith was the description to the term team player.

His couple last seasons weren´t that great anymore, but injuries and his style of play eventually took the toll on him.

Hats off.

dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 05:22 AM
PsychoDad

So what basically the Ottawa fans are trying to say here is that the last years godawful Ottawa team was actually better than the SCF team from 2 years ago, just that the old one was more "defensively committed". Wow.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 06:08 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post
So what basically the Ottawa fans are trying to say here is that the last years godawful Ottawa team was actually better than the SCF team from 2 years ago, just that the old one was more "defensively committed". Wow.
It has more to do with some of Ottawa's old players being severely overrated when they played for us. Take Redden for example, we knew his value was about 2-2.5M and we didn't want to keep him. We told Ranger fans that the guy was over the hill yet the clung to the 'change of scenery' bit, and were hoping for an elite PPQB. They were pretty disappointed to say the least.

Preissing is in the AHL and Meszaros never had an outstanding year when he wasn't injured. The only guy who deserves a nod is Corvo, he actually plays a decent defensive game that he never had with us.

I'm still quite convinced that the Defense is a huge improvement over what we've had lately. I'm not too worried about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by harfo1 View Post
jason smith is NOT going to read this thread on this board so why feel bad about not giving meaningless props to a man you have never meet who could likely careless what anyone on this board thinks/says?

now Ottawa should be under the cap and if they manage to trade heatley and get "some" cap relief in doing so they cand possibly pursue another FA forward.
I know it's difficult to understand but it's the thread topic.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:38 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
People slagging the Redden from the cup run have no clue. The dude could still make tape to tape stretch passes, he had a 14-16 game streak in the playoffs where he was only on the ice for 4-5 goals against (all ES), and players such as Corvo and Kelly came out saying his leadership and calming influence were instrumental for the OT games.

Kuba can't even bring half of that.
Kuba makes tape-to-tape stretch passes. Kuba plays much better defensively because he doesn't panic as much. Kuba last season was better than Redden was in his last 2 years here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Dear Ottawa Fans,

Just because your D played well for 3 months one spring does not mean that D is any good. It means it played well for 3 months. Just because your d is, in your opinion, as good as the team D that got you to the cup finals doesn't mean your current D is anything more than average. If that.

Thanks
Ottawa may never be able to recreate the team commitment and play they put together that season, but I don't think many fans are worried about our defense corps this season or moving forward.

This defense corps is uniquely talented enough that they can succeed by committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
See, you would take Redden and Meszaros salaries aside. Good decision. So back to what I've said, this group of Sens d-men is not the same as 07. Weak imo. Am I that wrong?

The only real disaster was Gerber. Sure, Redden had his ups and down and ran into some injuries that season but he still was #1 Sens d-men. As soon as Emery was in the end things changed.
I would take them because we have Phillips and Volchenkov to take care of the defensive work and require better point shots on our defense corps. So the defensively superior Kuba/Lee don't quite fill the same need as the better shooting Redden/Meszaros pair.

Quote:
Redden was very solid during our Cup Finals run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Well, finally the Sens were just bad in the 2008 calendar year. I don't have the exact numbers but they started the 07-08 season going 15-2 and they finished the 08-09 season going 23-14-5 in the last 42 games (100 points pace in the 2nd half)
Clouston coached 34 games, not 42.

The stats are that we went ~ 8 games under .500 between mid-Nov 07 and early-Feb 09. 12 games under .500 if you count the 1st round smoking by the Pens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
what made ottawa so great was their high level puck movement, and that stems from the defense. i haven't seen that from them in a long time.

closing out the season well doesn't mean much considering ottawa was well out of it and was playing in a bunch of no pressure games against teams that were probably taking them lightly. the 03-04 pens, one of the worst squads ever iced, finished the season 12-5.
You needed to watch the end of the season to see that. Yeah, we added Lee and Campoli over Picard and Smith and that helped some... but mostly, Hartsburg needed to go. It was ridiculous watching our D-core keep trying to force plays up the boards, when opposing teams had already figured that strategy out 3 games into the season.

You can take the end of Ottawa's season to mean whatever you want. I happen to think that they never should have been that bad and being 29th in scoring the day Hartsburg was fired was absurd... Clouston averaged 3 goals a game after he took over. We have a team full of offensive players and forecheckers. We need to take risks, send two men in and force the opposition, not play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why would he stay with the Sens organization after playing ONE year with them.
Luke Richardson.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Egil

Just to add to Trent on Clouston + the bad stretch, we started the bad play after the insane start in 07 due to horrendous defense. We could still score, but couldn't keep the puck out of our net. This led to Paddock getting fired, and Murray taking over at the end of the season and the playoffs (where we got swept by Pittsburgh but played ok, better than most of the season anyways).

This lack of defensive play led to Murray getting more defensive blueliners, and a defensive coach in Hartsburg. The result was that we kept the puck out of our net better, but at the cost of like twice as much scoring. This resulted in Hartsburg getting fired, Murray making some moves with our D (playing Lee more, getting Campoli, Smith getting hurt) and Clouston coming in. Hartsburg, for all his faults, did get us playing much better in our own end (we just spent way too much time in our own end since we couldn't break out of the zone or maintain offensive zone possession)

When Clouston came in, he kept our defensive zone play at the same sort of level as Hartsburg while instituting proper breakout concepts and allowing us to forecheck properly, giving us much more offensive zone time. The change in tactics had an EXTREMELY noticable effect on our play, as it was more in keeping with the tactics we used at the end of the Jaques Martin era and under Murray.

All of this is simply to say that I strongly feel that the rumours of our (Ottawa's) demise are greatly overstated, and I expect us, especially with Heatley still with us, to be a strong team in the East this season.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote