HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatley to Montreal (Should we be interested?)

Old
09-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
No.

I don't really care about the whole "trade me" issue... people are assaulting his character based on that, but frankly how many of us would have, at one time or another, wished we had the clout in our jobs to be able to tell the boss screw off, we want to work elsewhere...

the car accident thing is equally a non-starter for me. He was a young kid driving too fast in a high powered car. My bet is that half the people on here have pushed their cars much closer to the speedometer limits in their lifetime, likely with passengers on board... many of you have probably even had accidents in the process... difference is that luckily not everyone has the resources to be driving a car with that kind of power... who are we to cast stones...

but, all that said, I still wouldn't want him anywhere near this team.

we simply cannot afford to drown another 7M in a forward. When you already have a 7M$, a 6M$ and a 5M$ on your roster, plus 2 5M$ guys on the back end (one of which is your best player, and due for a hefty raise in 2 years), it just doesn't work to add another guy with that kind of salary...

especially given that his primary skills are as a goal scorer, and you have just recently open the checkbook to land one of the prize goal scoring players from the UFA pile.

It doesn't work for us, not unless we were looking to unload one of the guys we just picked up... dropping Gomez and adding heatley would be fine (since gomez was a trade aquisition), but that makes zero sense from a line building pov... you can't unload gionta or cammi before they've played a game, that would be UFA suicide.

so for me, Heatley is a non-starter, not because of any concerns about his character or what he will bring to the table (he'd immediately be our best offensive player imo), but because he simply can't fit the current make-up of our team.

we have our new "star" players, and like it or not, for the next 2-3 years we'd better be damn content with them, because we don't have the room/ability to swap them.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Guy Caballero

Some players are more trouble than they're worth, and heatley is one of them, just like Lindros was one of them at the end of the day. No thank you.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:18 AM
HockeyF3ind

If we wanted Heatley it would be more like

the Kostitsyns, Weber, and a 1st in 2010.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:21 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by panorama01 View Post
Horrible idea. Heatley is lucky they didn't enforce the felony murder law on him - if they did, he'd be in prison for the rest of his life. Now he gives orders to people all the time.
What was the initial felony? Wasn't he just driving and crashed?

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:08 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Ottawa does not do this and as mentioned we have much less cap space then that. This does not make sense on so many levels.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:12 AM
King City Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Yes he was just driving and crashed, no alcohol, just crashed, and a couple days later his best buddy passed away, and heatley was damaged as well, he was actually quite a bit better than kovalchuk prior to the accident, he messed up his knees, and other body parts, perhaps most notably his mind is a bit messed up, but you bet your ass heatley can still do amazing things, watch his games against montreal haha.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:39 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
1st degree vehicular homicide which was dropped.. for one dan snyder's parents didnt want to press charges and for another in a plea arrangement to drop it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...ley050204.html

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:27 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
1st degree vehicular homicide which was dropped.. for one dan snyder's parents didnt want to press charges and for another in a plea arrangement to drop it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...ley050204.html
this

in the states if he was just a regular joe, he would have done 15 years. especially in Georgia.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Think about it.

We have 4,654,024 cap space (http://www.thehockeygm.com/mtl.html)

Trade Plecks (2.75mill), a prospect (D'Agostini, Maxwell or Chipchura) and a 1st round draft...

you can even throw in Metropolitt and save 1 Mil for a free agent D (Bouillon maybe?)

Ottawa would be getting a hell of a deal... Montreal would be a contender...
That website seems to be lacking 4 players, and with potential cap concerns for next season, Gainey will not want to start off with his rookie bonuses already scheduled for carry-over, so you have to add those in too. We don't really have any cap room at all. Except for what we create by moving players.

But I don't see the Habs (or any other team) taking on Heatley with his baggage now. How can you ever know that next time the coach speaks to him or juggles the lines he won't decide to bail on your team too? He's too big a risk to give up anything for. Not if you've got a team that does have other options and ways to spend its money, anyway.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:21 AM
1UP

Heatley?

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
this

in the states if he was just a regular joe, he would have done 15 years. especially in Georgia.
the parents of the deceased victim explicitly stated they didnt want to press charges and didnt want dany to serve any jail time so its not necessarily the case he would have served time..

Old
09-03-2009, 08:51 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
the parents of the deceased victim explicitly stated they didnt want to press charges and didnt want dany to serve any jail time so its not necessarily the case he would have served time..
Honestly, the Snyder's must be class people. Not saying heatley deserved to go to jail, but to forgive like that and take the high road after their son died, pretty amazing.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Honestly, the Snyder's must be class people. Not saying heatley deserved to go to jail, but to forgive like that and take the high road after their son died, pretty amazing.
yeah i totally agree with you on that.. although having said that, the fact that snyder and heatley were best friends and he also was suffering with what he did and what happened to snyder wouldve made it somewhat easier for them to make that decision..

Old
09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Think about it.

We have 4,654,024 cap space (http://www.thehockeygm.com/mtl.html)

Trade Plecks (2.75mill), a prospect (D'Agostini, Maxwell or Chipchura) and a 1st round draft...

you can even throw in Metropolitt and save 1 Mil for a free agent D (Bouillon maybe?)

Ottawa would be getting a hell of a deal... Montreal would be a contender...
Please dont go post this on the trade board

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

no way he want to play here. He want to play in the west or NY

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Maxpac

I HATE his attitude, but godamn Heatly-Gomez-Gionta would look good!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs

And yes Heaters-Gomez-Gionta would be ridiculous.

We could call it the GHG line

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

And yes Heaters-Gomez-Gionta would be ridiculous.

We could call it the GHG line
"Gosh i Hate Gianta" signing ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
"Gosh i Hate Gianta" signing ?
Gomez-Heatley-Gionta

It was a euphimism for something else.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
JrHockeyFan

We can't trade for Heatley. When we get Lecavalier he will feel "diminished" and demand a trade.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Do we have a 50 goals scorer?

No?

Well yea i'm interested.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

As good of a player as he might be, I wouldn't touch Heatley with a 10 foot pole. The guy has turned into a primadona who, in my books, can now be compared to the likes of Alexei Yashin.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
As good of a player as he might be, I wouldn't touch Heatley with a 10 foot pole. The guy has turned into a primadona who, in my books, can now be compared to the likes of Alexei Yashin.
Doesn't sound like the type of guy who can handle a J Martin system of team and defense first.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Do we have a 50 goals scorer?

No?

Well yea i'm interested.
That's the way I see it,pretty funny some wouldn't wanna trade for him not that it will happen cause I don't see the Sens trading Danny in the division.Anyways yes he asked for a trade but we don't know what really happened in Ottawa.His ice time was reduced,hell if I'm a superstar I don't wanna stay on the bench either,a player that does can also be said that he isn't a team player.Heatley wants to help the team as much as possible,not saying he was right about asking for the trade but every superstar in this league don't wanna be left aside for a 3/4 liner

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree.
The Senators are definitely not the team with negotiation power. Not only is it tough for them to find a partner due to the cap space situation, but Heatly seems to also be very picky seeing as he already used his NTC and any players coming to Ottawa would require to lift their NTC or not have one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Heatly go for a much cheaper return than what people expect.

I'm not saying the trade proposal would work, but I don't think Ottawa will get a huge return for him simply because there's just not that many eligible partners.
I should have been more elaborate. Heatley would be VERY expesive if the Habs wanted him. Ottawa will ask for more from a division rival like Montreal then they would from San Jose.
I think as time goes by that you re right, Ottawa will likely get less in return as they don't want him in camp and other Gms know this. That being said, I do believe that they wil hold on to him after training camp if they don't get an acceptable offer, especially after paying him the $4M bonus and hope for a key injury to a key player on another team so they can move him.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote