HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Nicola Riopel signed

Old
09-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Emery has proven he can play in the NHL and put up great numbers in arguably the second best league in the world.

Riopel and Backlund haven't even proven themselves at the AHL level. Putting up great numbers in juniors and in Europe is meaningless.

I have more faith in someone who's already played at the NHL level than 2 guys who haven't.
I know, that's why I put a sarcasm smiley after it.

Quote:
That's a lot of hope on a 5th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent, isn't it (especially given that Boucher and Ouellet were 1st rounders and Pelletier was a high 2nd rounder)?
My comment above was to make the point that there isn't a strict correlation with how players come into the organization and their ceilings as players. You said it yourself, Emery is a decent NHL goalie who went in the fifth round (and there have obviously been plenty of others). I didn't mean to disagree with your point about them each being a bit of a longshot (because obviously these guys were a UFA and available in the 5th for a reason); so much as expound on it with the hopeful idea that Riopel could still be a good NHL goalie.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think everyone has more faith in Emery, but that doesnt mean Backlund/Riopel will suck

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I know, that's why I put a sarcasm smiley after it.

My comment above was to make the point that there isn't a strict correlation with how players come into the organization and their ceilings as players. You said it yourself, Emery is a decent NHL goalie who went in the fifth round (and there have obviously been plenty of others). I didn't mean to disagree with your point about them each being a bit of a longshot (because obviously these guys were a UFA and available in the 5th for a reason); so much as expound on it with the hopeful idea that Riopel could still be a good NHL goalie.
I understand what you are saying about the correlation.

However based on the list I put together earlier in this thread, it is a longshot that Riopel will develop into a good NHL goalie.

Hovercraft, in no way am I saying that Backlund or Riopel will suck. I'm just saying that it's unlikley that they will develop into NHL goalies. Obviously I hope I am wrong and that one, if not both, are diamonds in the rough and could be the next Lundqvist.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote