HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin to Kings-(e4)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2009, 03:04 PM
  #76
Todds Chiropractory
Registered User
 
Todds Chiropractory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 50
Sundin to NYR Done Deal (E4)

Sounds familiar

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
  #77
Gananoque
 
Gananoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If you read the news like you claim, then you would know that that Lombardi himself has denied it


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289481


But hey you read the news and know everything about the Kings right?
Keep playing with semantics to suit your need. Have fun, enjoy yourself. You are clearly one of the few Kings fans who has taken a hard stance against Heatley going to L.A. I obviously can't change that. Stay classy, Bunny.

Gananoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
  #78
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 18,976
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gananoque View Post
Keep playing with semantics to suit your need. Have fun, enjoy yourself. You are clearly one of the few Kings fans who has taken a hard stance against Heatley going to L.A. I obviously can't change that. Stay classy, Bunny.
LOL so posting a quote from someone you said hasn't made a statement on the issue is playing with semantics?

For the record, This is what the word semantics means
Quote:
the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development

Yeah , I am definitely playing semantics. How about you link me to where I changed the meaning of your words to benefit my debate?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:20 PM
  #79
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gananoque View Post
Keep playing with semantics to suit your need. Have fun, enjoy yourself. You are clearly one of the few Kings fans who has taken a hard stance against Heatley going to L.A. I obviously can't change that. Stay classy, Bunny.
He isn't the only King fan that believes Heatley is not LA bound, he is just the only one still fighting all the people who don't read the news. DL said in May that it was unlikely that Dany would be a King. Then in June he said he wan't sure about his character. Then in July he said he didn't want a cancer like Heatley on the team. Then in August he said there was no chance that the Kings would take him. I can see the mixed message being sent. Let's see he said no, No, NO, NO **** way.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
  #80
Avid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: san leandro, CA
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Avid
LA would be a good destination for Sundin. Not a lot of expectations for him there. He could just play his game without a lot of pressure to lead the team.

Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
  #81
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gananoque View Post
Keep playing with semantics to suit your need. Have fun, enjoy yourself. You are clearly one of the few Kings fans who has taken a hard stance against Heatley going to L.A. I obviously can't change that. Stay classy, Bunny.
I highly recommend, before you make unbacked assumptions of what king's fan's opinions are on the direction of their franchise, you actually read the kings forum.

All indication from management and sources that king's fans recognize as actually being informed by the organization (not hard, there's not very many) is that Heatley is of no interest to the kings.

I challenge you to find any evidence to the contrary.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 05:00 PM
  #82
overnath
Registered User
 
overnath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough/Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
not going anywhere other then van for the next year or fishing for the next 40 years... I think this is the part where I insist that Eklund is a scam, but there is really no point as it seems like new Eklund threads pop up every day. In fact I'm embarrassed that I even checked this one out....

overnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 05:23 PM
  #83
jamz
Registered User
 
jamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
holy crap e4? getting my custom made jersey right now

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:55 PM
  #84
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If you read the news like you claim, then you would know that that Lombardi himself has denied it.
Actually, it's not necessarily the "denial" that many people are reading it as. It may be, and it may be Lombardi's way of couching his thoughts in gentler words than he really means, but it may also be Lombardi making it clear to Murray that the asking price is too high and leaving the door open. Taken literally, all that Lombardi is saying is that the risk is probably not worth it because of Heatley's character. What's the risk? It's the price to pay, the price that Murray is asking for. It doesn't necessarily mean that, if the price is lowered, Heatley wouldn't be more interesting to the Kings, since a lower price means a lower risk. That's the door that Lombardi has left open through his words. If he wanted to close that door, he could've used far stronger and definitive wording than wishy-washy "we could, but we shouldn't" and uncertain question posing. For example, he could've said "we don't want him" rather than "we can't afford it" (which is another bit of wording suggestive that the price is at least as much of the issue as the player).

Now, that doesn't mean that Lombardi is actively in the hunt. I think that he's sincere in his being uninterested, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he'll never be interested. Afterall, if Murray were to decide to give Heatley away for free, you can bet that Lombardi and nearly all Kings fans would jump on it. Of course, Heatley won't be free; the point is that it's all about the price, i.e. the risk, and Lombardi likely has a price that he'd be willing to pay, so it makes no sense to close any doors right now. Murray will probably never lower his price that low (to match what Lombardi deems is acceptable risk in this situation) and Heatley to LA will probably not happen, as expected, but likely moreso because the sides had different ideas of Heatley's value, not that one side denied interest completely, regardless of price, as many are suggesting.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
  #85
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Actually, it's not necessarily the "denial" that many people are reading it as. It may be, and it may be Lombardi's way of couching his thoughts in gentler words than he really means, but it may also be Lombardi making it clear to Murray that the asking price is too high and leaving the door open. Taken literally, all that Lombardi is saying is that the risk is probably not worth it because of Heatley's character. What's the risk? It's the price to pay, the price that Murray is asking for. It doesn't necessarily mean that, if the price is lowered, Heatley wouldn't be more interesting to the Kings, since a lower price means a lower risk. That's the door that Lombardi has left open through his words. If he wanted to close that door, he could've used far stronger and definitive wording than wishy-washy "we could, but we shouldn't" and uncertain question posing. For example, he could've said "we don't want him" rather than "we can't afford it" (which is another bit of wording suggestive that the price is at least as much of the issue as the player).

Now, that doesn't mean that Lombardi is actively in the hunt. I think that he's sincere in his being uninterested, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he'll never be interested. Afterall, if Murray were to decide to give Heatley away for free, you can bet that Lombardi and nearly all Kings fans would jump on it. Of course, Heatley won't be free; the point is that it's all about the price, i.e. the risk, and Lombardi likely has a price that he'd be willing to pay, so it makes no sense to close any doors right now. Murray will probably never lower his price that low (to match what Lombardi deems is acceptable risk in this situation) and Heatley to LA will probably not happen, as expected, but likely moreso because the sides had different ideas of Heatley's value, not that one side denied interest completely, regardless of price, as many are suggesting.
Hey cut that rational thought out! Did you get lost on your way to the logic bank and wind up here?

That is the most unbiased, fair reading of Lombardi's words you can give. Hextall on the other hand is a bit different. He outright said 'No way' on several occasions.

Now an interesting thing to note is that Lombardi has been quoted (can't remember where I read it, I'll try and dig it up) that Hextall takes cares care of the Pro sides of things while Lombardi is more interesting in development and scouting. Obviously Lombardi is the GM, and all decisions rest finally with him, but Hextall is the go-to guy for Pro scouting and (the following part is my own interpretation) plays more heavily than people think into trades and which players are targeted.

So take that for what it is worth. Lombardi, who has final say, hasn't closed to the door. However Hextall, who is always in Lombardi's ear and has been given most of the responsibility for monitoring players on other teams, has outright denied anymore than a passing interest in Heatley.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility. Its hard to tell sometimes what is posturing and what in unclouded information, so it certainly might happen if the price is VERY low (think the Smyth trade only a little better... Dean REALLY wanted Smyth, and still waited for the price to drop from Teubert and Bernier to Quincey and Preissing - that's patience), however more than likely Heatley will never don the Crown, for better or worse. To say that it is 'widely accepted' that the Kings 'are and will continue to push for Heatley', as the poster Bunny and I and others were arguing with, is really just silly.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:37 PM
  #86
sedinfan3322
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
holy crap e4? getting my custom made jersey right now
eklund even tries to explain his E system directly in his blogs now and you brain morons still can't figure out how he and it works...

he DOES NOT make predictions
therefore he is never right or wrong

unbelievable

sedinfan3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
  #87
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,402
vCash: 500
Ospray, you make some good points, but the risk that concern Lombardi the most is what kind of effect Heatley's has on the young growing group of Kings players.

Quote:
"Do I want to bring in a Dany Heatley with all that baggage? It might work," Lombardi said. "But I don't think we're in a position where we can afford that. ... Maybe a change of environment and he grows up. But my point is, do we need to take that risk right now? It scares me.

"If your core is established and they've proven they can win, it's different. I think you can take that swing. I don't think we're in that position yet. Because if we're wrong, [Anze] Kopitar and [Dustin] Brown and [Drew] Doughty and these guys lose control. He becomes the room and then you have a huge problem. And he's not going to be controlled by them. That leadership group is not strong enough yet to deal with a guy who can change your team. I'm not saying those kids can't do it. It's still in the formative stages. I don't need to put that burden on them.They've still got to perform and go to another level."

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:41 PM
  #88
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Osprey, you make some good points, but the risk that concern Lombardi the most is what kind of effect Heatley's has on the young growing group of Kings players.
I hadn't seen the second quote; thanks. That's a good point. I don't think that it'd be enough to scare him away if the price is right, but the price would have to be really right, as JDM said.

It's curious, though, what Lombardi implied about Heatley there. It sounds like he might be labeling him as a problem in the locker room and someone who likes to be the center of attention, but most indications appear to be that his teammates like him and he's shy/reclusive (possibly one reason why LA is near the top of his list). It seems as though Lombardi's characterization doesn't quite fit and he may be jumping to the same conclusions of Heatley's behavior at the rink mirroring his behavior away of it that many fans do. Perhaps he just means that the risk is higher because of Heatley's off-ice behavior. I would agree with that and that the effect on the Kings' young players is a very valid concern. I just wonder, though, whether Lombardi and Hextall worry too much about the non-performance/lockerroom issues affecting the on-ice product; however, I can't really blame them for playing it safe at such an important point in the rebuild.


Last edited by Osprey: 09-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
  #89
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Sundin to the Kings makes sense really. I doubt that it happens though. Sundin is everything the Kings are looking for.

1) Big, strong, physical center to mentor Kopitar
2) Tremendous leader to help teach Brown
3) Legit #2 center
4) Perfect if Stoll is hurt and when he comes back Stoll moves to the wing on 3rd line
Would Sundin want to play in L.A? Doubtful. But always remember this simple adage. Men rule the world but women rule men. Check this out http://www.myspace.com/josephinejohansson. Seems like she's ditched her teaching days. This is a young lady who needs to be in LA to further her career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Her name is Josephine Johansson and she is from a small town in northern Sweden - IIRC she was a teacher. Here is the story of the wedding and some photos:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/world.../10667921.html

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:18 PM
  #90
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,078
vCash: 500
Since I have not seen this asked yet, where are the Canucks in Eklunds world about Sundin??? Gillis has stated numerous times publicly that he wants Sundin back and he will work his cap to bring him in. Does Eklund suddenly forget this? Also, how does he know that Sundin wants to go to LA. He was wrong last year and said it was a done deal to go to NYR, why would anyone belive him he is right??? Ryan Smyth is back in Edmonton right??

Also, when his site does not have much traffic, he will pull up a BS rumour about a big name player going to a Canadian or big market northern US team to drive up his web traffic. I wonder whyt people alywas fall into that trap. You never hear of a rumour between the Carolina and Atlanta, that does not drive it up, but if it is say the Flames and Atlanta, that one will drive up traffic

Why would he go to the Kings? I am just wondering what would be his motivation of playing in LA?
To try to get to the playoffs or to have a chance to win a cup?

I would say that the Hawks, Wings, Canucks, Flames, Ducks all have a better chance than the Kings will to win the cup, and eventually if LA does end up making it in the playoffs, they will most likley play one of those teams, who are bigger, faster, stronger than the Kings

Also, look at the Canucks road schedule for this year, it is better suited for Sundin this year as well. The big issue for him last year was he was so used to the East schedule that being in the west and the Canucks road sched was brutal. One trip had them go and play in NYI, NYR, Minnesota and then back to Pittsburgh. No wonder Louie got hurt. This year thier is none of that crap going on.

If he does come back, I think he will play for the Nucks, and that is a big if, or he will retire

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:47 PM
  #91
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Why would he go to the Kings? I am just wondering what would be his motivation of playing in LA?
To try to get to the playoffs or to have a chance to win a cup?
Like a few people have mentioned, the only reason us Kings fans can really see is that he is determined to play this season, but also determined to make his new bride happy, and that being in LA will make her very happy.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
  #92
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
I stopped reading at Eklund.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
  #93
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,162
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Doesn't make sense to me and I am not all that thrilled about trying to grab him.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
  #94
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedinfan3322 View Post
eklund even tries to explain his E system directly in his blogs now and you brain morons still can't figure out how he and it works...

he DOES NOT make predictions
therefore he is never right or wrong

unbelievable
I lol'd at the bolded. Also, he was being sarcastic, champ.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:13 AM
  #95
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Like a few people have mentioned, the only reason us Kings fans can really see is that he is determined to play this season, but also determined to make his new bride happy, and that being in LA will make her very happy.
They just got married last weekend. He has max 1 maybe 2 years if he is lucky. I dont see why just because he just got married that they would suddenly move to LA all of a sudden and play for a team that is not expected to be a strong contender for a cup. They can move anytime they want after he retires, as he is at the tail end of his long career. He aint Chelios and going to play another 8 years

Sorry, but I just dont get the logic of 2 people with no ties to LA to want to play there with a non contender just because she is in the entertainment business

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:02 AM
  #96
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Sorry, but I just dont get the logic of 2 people with no ties to LA to want to play there with a non contender just because she is in the entertainment business
Then you either don't understand the entertainment business or the city of LA.

I'm not saying its a great reason, or its likely to happen. I'm just saying that it would be the only reason for him to come to LA in my mind. It is certainly not without precedent for a player to change teams to please his wife/family, and it is definitely not abnormal for someone with high entertainment aspirations to make their way out to LA.

Sundin also clearly likes it enough in LA to spend part of his summer training here.

I still don't think it will happen though. Its a bogus rumor far as I'm concerned.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:40 AM
  #97
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,803
vCash: 50
This is very unlikely but if the kings can somehow sigh Sundin,it would fill there gap of a need of a 2 nd line centerer he would be a good fit on a line with Alex Frolov and Justin Williams.But why would Sundin want to go to La there far from being contenders.The best fit for Mats would to re sign with the canucks he knows how the system works and has built chemistry with Ryan Kesler and Pavel Demitra

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
  #98
Gananoque
 
Gananoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I hadn't seen the second quote; thanks. That's a good point. I don't think that it'd be enough to scare him away if the price is right, but the price would have to be really right, as JDM said.

It's curious, though, what Lombardi implied about Heatley there. It sounds like he might be labeling him as a problem in the locker room and someone who likes to be the center of attention, but most indications appear to be that his teammates like him and he's shy/reclusive (possibly one reason why LA is near the top of his list). It seems as though Lombardi's characterization doesn't quite fit and he may be jumping to the same conclusions of Heatley's behavior at the rink mirroring his behavior away of it that many fans do. Perhaps he just means that the risk is higher because of Heatley's off-ice behavior. I would agree with that and that the effect on the Kings' young players is a very valid concern. I just wonder, though, whether Lombardi and Hextall worry too much about the non-performance/lockerroom issues affecting the on-ice product; however, I can't really blame them for playing it safe at such an important point in the rebuild.
I commend you on putting the situation in the best possible perspective. That's what I was generally getting at until Bunny Foo Foo came in screaming and yelling like a child that L.A. had ZERO interest in Heatley, which is patently false.

The way Lombardi chose his words when dealing with the fans with regards to Heatley is all the proof anyone needs that the door is NOT shut on a deal being made. As you put it, the risk is currently too high (or the price-tag). L.A. remains in hot pursuit of Heatley whether L.A. fans like it or not.

Sundin is also a high-risk player considering he is nowhere near the elite status he once was. He has become a sort of primadonna at this point, humming and hawing over who to sign with and when because he can. I'm not so sure Sundin is a better option that Heatley, the only benefit (and it's a big one) is that L.A. gives no assets up and pays $2 mil less per year to sign him.

Gananoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
  #99
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gananoque View Post
I commend you on putting the situation in the best possible perspective. That's what I was generally getting at until Bunny Foo Foo came in screaming and yelling like a child that L.A. had ZERO interest in Heatley, which is patently false.

The way Lombardi chose his words when dealing with the fans with regards to Heatley is all the proof anyone needs that the door is NOT shut on a deal being made. As you put it, the risk is currently too high (or the price-tag). L.A. remains in hot pursuit of Heatley whether L.A. fans like it or not.

Sundin is also a high-risk player considering he is nowhere near the elite status he once was. He has become a sort of primadonna at this point, humming and hawing over who to sign with and when because he can. I'm not so sure Sundin is a better option that Heatley, the only benefit (and it's a big one) is that L.A. gives no assets up and pays $2 mil less per year to sign him.
The door is shut, Heatley will not be a King.

1. DL won't tie up that much money in wingers
2. Heatley doesn't scream DL guy
3. Smyth is a King and Frolov needs to be re-signed

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
  #100
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
I would laugh hard if he did end up in LA, man would some look silly here.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.