HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey is Destroying My Feet!

Old
09-03-2009, 09:12 PM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Not me, noobman

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhockeyfootdoc View Post
Canadabacon...........

Sorry to hear about all the skate problems. I am a 3rd year podiatric medical student, and hopefully will be able to offer some helpful advice:

It is in fact a projection of bone off the side of your foot (base of your 5th metatarsal) that is rubbing your skate, and causing you the pain. It is your bodys natural defense to react to stress placed upon it (Wolfe's Law of bone).

As everyone one this site knows, NOT SKATING is definately out of the question. You could try to have the skate "punched" in that area to increase the amount of room in that specific area. Most proshops offer this service. Only bad part is it decreases the integrity of the boot, so it will break down the boot a little bit quicker. I have Vapor XXX's and had to punch the heel out on both for my Haglunds (which is massive, trust me), and the boot has broken down a bit quicker than I was hoping.

In addition to getting the skate punched, some type of donut pad over the bony prominence could help. Type in donut pad in google images to see a picture of what they look like. Put the hole over the most prominent area, and try to make everything "flesh" (use thick enough felt) so that your bone doesnt stick out past circle in the pad. This should offload the area, and disperse the forces causing it to irritate. Only drawback is keeping it in place, and accomodating for more room in a (probably) tight area of skate.

It's unfortunate that hockey skates tear apart our feet so much, but the stiff boot allows us to be able to maneuver in a manner that would otherwise break our ankles. As it has been said, its the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the advice helps!
I've had 'haglunds', on both heels, since I was about 9 or 10 years old. They don't really bother me, even though they are now so pronounced and calcified that I don't even bother punching the boot of my skates because the haglund just wears down the boot until my heel fits snug in my boot during the break-in period.

I even went down to a size 10 on my newest skates (Vapor 40's) which is a half size smaller than the anything I've had for the last 10+ years...no pain...and the haglunds don't seem to have grown much for the past number of years.

Do you think I should go get these boots punched? I was once told its possible to have a removal surgery done on the haglunds, is that true?

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I've had 'haglunds', on both heels, since I was about 9 or 10 years old. They don't really bother me, even though they are now so pronounced and calcified that I don't even bother punching the boot of my skates because the haglund just wears down the boot until my heel fits snug in my boot during the break-in period.

I even went down to a size 10 on my newest skates (Vapor 40's) which is a half size smaller than the anything I've had for the last 10+ years...no pain...and the haglunds don't seem to have grown much for the past number of years.

Do you think I should go get these boots punched? I was once told its possible to have a removal surgery done on the haglunds, is that true?
That is interesting info, mine is on one heel and small. lately it has not bothered me and i just kncoked out that spot anyway so i should be okay.

i need to get on the ice soon and check it out though.

I am in my break period at the end of summer in between the summer league and winter league so I've not skated in 10 days. I am getting the DTs already.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
That is interesting info, mine is on one heel and small. lately it has not bothered me and i just kncoked out that spot anyway so i should be okay.

i need to get on the ice soon and check it out though.

I am in my break period at the end of summer in between the summer league and winter league so I've not skated in 10 days. I am getting the DTs already.
Haglunds are pretty much a rite of passage. We get our 'Bauer Bumps' before we have a learners license. I always called them 'bone spurs'. I never heard them called 'haglunds' until I read this thread, to be honest.

I can remember the exact day I got mine started: Christmas Day 87'. I got a pair of Bauer Supreme 92's. They were the HOT skate that year. I went to an outdoor rink at about 10 AM and played until...oh...about 10 PM. The boots were bloody by the time I took them off. I never was out of a skate long enough for the initial problem to heal. (pardon the pun)
So...

They got bigger for a few years...and probably there was some pain/fitting issues back when my feet were still growing.

Ive been a size 10 for many years now. Every pair of shoes or skates I own are distinguished by the same 'divot' in all of them, where the haglund on each foot wears a hole through leather. Right down to the plastic in any of my older skates.

I think if your getting them now (as an adult) you should pay closer attention to them and take better care than what I did.

Had I known about NOT wearing cotton socks and stuff like that...I could have avoided the problem, maybe.

Old
09-04-2009, 12:04 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've found when I start to get the bumps on the front tendons of my ankles it's time to get new skates. I would also get painful ingrown big toenails so I went up a 1/2 size and the problem was solved. With your bony looking feet I'd try on different brands of skates, you may just be wearing a brand that isn't good for your feet. With all the technology in the skates now you should be in a comfortable skate. I'm in Nike Bauer XXXX's right now and my feet feel great.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
myhockeyfootdoc

Canadabacon:

My apologies again, I was in fact replying to the wrong person! Sorry for the confusion, of course I believe it was all on my end

Everest:

Although it is possible to have surgery to remove your Haglunds deformity, my advice is to leave it alone if it is not causing pain! When it has more of a soft tissue component (which mine does), it is much more manageable surgically, as it is most likely either the superficail bursa (between the skin and the Achilles tendon) or the deep bursa (between the Achilles and calcaneous bone) that is inflamed. Surgically speaking this may not involve removal, then re-attachment of the Achilles Tendon in order to remove the bony projection(osteophyte), makeing the surgery much less complicated and invasive.

As you make your condition sound though, I would assume that you have more of an osseous or bony component, which makes the surgery a bit more tricky. As surgery becomes more complicated, the chances of deviation from projected outcomes, healing times, etc. increase.

I only would have problems with my Haglund's while teacing hockey camp during the off-season or during a training camp, where ice time exceeded 6+ hours/day. The best thing to do with that deformity, or any deformity, is to leave it alone if it is not casuing any complications. If your Haglunds is not getting any larger, nor are you having any pain, I see no need to get the boots punched. Enjoy the XXXX's, I'm looking into getting a pair soon!

myhockeyfootdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:39 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If this thread doesn't scare people away from Bauer skates, I don't know what the hell will!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
A big factor in that could also have been the tongue. They put nicer tongues in nicer skates, with thick felt on some skates or padded tongues with plastic inserts on others. Both work, but a lot of guys have preference based on feel. Lower end skates will have thinner felt or just a padded tongue with no insert.

You could buy pro felt tongues and have them installed. That could help the lacebite too.

You're also right in that size can have an impact. If the skate is too big, the laces will come up too high on the ankle and dig in more as your foot flexes forward. Big reason few people complain about lacebite with lower cut skates- the higher you go, the more pressure on the front of the ankle as you flex forward. It's a big reason a lot of guys don't lace the top eyelet.
Yeah it was definitely the tongue. It was like night and day between my old and new skates. The old tongue was super flimsy and provided no support. The new ones are just awesome, I'm really happy with them.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If this thread doesn't scare people away from Bauer skates, I don't know what the hell will!
Bauer skates aren't bad- it's just that they make the heel wider then what properly fits most people. If it fits right it's a great skate, but they don't have very good heel lock because they want as many people to be able to shove their heel in there as possible.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:48 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
My Bauers fit my foot perfect =]

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
noobman

Quote:
My apologies if I made an assumption! I thought based on reading your posts that you only noticed the pain after/during skating, or never had the problem on that part of your foot before skating. I assume the pain has since resolved?

I would also agree to go see a podiatrist . No need for things to get worse!
Ha, thakns for all of the misdirected help

I was on the ice earlier this morning and experienced absolutely no pain. In fact, I didn't even feel the bump at all. I guess it's worth noting that I switched back to the same ol' athletic type socks that I've been skating with for years. The foot felt great, and I didn't even have too much of a lace bite issue!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Everest

Quote:
Canadabacon:

My apologies again, I was in fact replying to the wrong person! Sorry for the confusion, of course I believe it was all on my end

Everest:

Although it is possible to have surgery to remove your Haglunds deformity, my advice is to leave it alone if it is not causing pain! When it has more of a soft tissue component (which mine does), it is much more manageable surgically, as it is most likely either the superficail bursa (between the skin and the Achilles tendon) or the deep bursa (between the Achilles and calcaneous bone) that is inflamed. Surgically speaking this may not involve removal, then re-attachment of the Achilles Tendon in order to remove the bony projection(osteophyte), makeing the surgery much less complicated and invasive.

As you make your condition sound though, I would assume that you have more of an osseous or bony component, which makes the surgery a bit more tricky. As surgery becomes more complicated, the chances of deviation from projected outcomes, healing times, etc. increase.

I only would have problems with my Haglund's while teacing hockey camp during the off-season or during a training camp, where ice time exceeded 6+ hours/day. The best thing to do with that deformity, or any deformity, is to leave it alone if it is not casuing any complications. If your Haglunds is not getting any larger, nor are you having any pain, I see no need to get the boots punched. Enjoy the XXXX's, I'm looking into getting a pair soon!
Thanks for the insight.

I was thinking the same thing. Its comforting to hear it from someone like yourself though.

The deformities began, many moons ago now. I've learned a few tricks to deal with it...and as I said earlier...I think its possible for younger kids, with the help of people like yourself and todays higher quality skates to prevent haglunds from happening as often as they used to. Every guy I know, around my age, has them!

I find, if I'm on the ice for prolonged time...I need to take a couple minutes and re-set / re-tie my skates and my feet tend to hold up better.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Peter Forsberg, is that you?

Seriously, consult a podiatrist.
Damn. beat me to it.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
R0CKET

I know I'm an old guy but why not simply go back to softer (leather content) skate like the old Super Tacks and Daoust 501s?

I think these all carbon boots are causing allot of problems.

R0CKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKET View Post
I know I'm an old guy but why not simply go back to softer (leather content) skate like the old Super Tacks and Daoust 501s?

I think these all carbon boots are causing allot of problems.
Thats a great question. There are not a lot of leather skates on the shelves anymore.

They aren't totally obselete, mind you. I think Mission makes some soft style boots. Bauer has a new model (can't remember the exact model name) but it was patterned after a Nike skate and although its not quite a high end skate...it is the highest end Bauer skate you can get that isn't fortified with high-tech / hard shanks.

The thing is...the old leather boots feel like cadillac's when you first slip into them...but they DO break down faster than a hard boot and once that happens...you'll still have comfort... but performance is much less.

A hard boot...isn't fun to break-in, but once everything is seated, the comfort is just as good plus you have unbelievable lightness + protection factor.

I will admit though...for the price you pay for todays top line / elite skate... the craftmanship is pi$$ poor.

I've had more 'warranty work' done in the past 2 years than I ever had through 25 years before that!

The most common problem I experience is blades snapping in half...but I also experienced several rivets popping as well as a couple blade holders failing.

Old
09-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Biggzy*

Hey guys, I'm having a similar problem with my feet. I started a thread a couple weeks ago that I got a pair of Bauer One55's and they were feeling pretty good after I broke them in a bit, but last night I was getting a weird pressure feeling. It wasn't pain but it seems similar to the OP's problem but in a different spot.

Its pressure right on the ball of my foot below/south of my big toe. Almost as if that bone is sticking out a bit, if that makes any sense. Its only on my left foot. I'm wondering if I get some inserts, something like Dr. Scholls if that will help.

Anyone else have this problem? I really don't want to have to buy another pair of skates. I had lace bite on my previous pair and this pair has completely gotten rid of that, but now I have this problem lol.

Old
09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

You may have just tied them awkwardly. See if you still have the problem the next few skates, and then worry.

And if it does stay, punching the skate out there may be your best option.

Old
09-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You may have just tied them awkwardly. See if you still have the problem the next few skates, and then worry.

And if it does stay, punching the skate out there may be your best option.
Thanks, I did tie them a little looser last night, so tonight I'll try it tighter.

What do you mean punching the skate?

Do you think those gel inserts would help?

Old
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

If it's tight, you generally don't want to insert anything, as that will snug things up.

What punching is is a process where a small portion of your skate is basically stretched out. You have a little ring on the outside of the skate and there's a piece on the inside that punches out the area inside that ring to give you a little more room there. Most any LHS should be able to do it for you, it would probably run you about $10-15.

It sounds to me like your forefoot is a shaped a little different then the boot. That's the kind of thing baking normally takes care of, so if you didn't do that, do it now. If that doesn't take care of it and tying differently doesn't take care of it, punching almost certainly will.

Old
09-08-2009, 12:23 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Thats a great question. There are not a lot of leather skates on the shelves anymore.

They aren't totally obselete, mind you. I think Mission makes some soft style boots. Bauer has a new model (can't remember the exact model name) but it was patterned after a Nike skate and although its not quite a high end skate...it is the highest end Bauer skate you can get that isn't fortified with high-tech / hard shanks.

The thing is...the old leather boots feel like cadillac's when you first slip into them...but they DO break down faster than a hard boot and once that happens...you'll still have comfort... but performance is much less.

A hard boot...isn't fun to break-in, but once everything is seated, the comfort is just as good plus you have unbelievable lightness + protection factor.

I will admit though...for the price you pay for todays top line / elite skate... the craftmanship is pi$$ poor.

I've had more 'warranty work' done in the past 2 years than I ever had through 25 years before that!

The most common problem I experience is blades snapping in half...but I also experienced several rivets popping as well as a couple blade holders failing.
The 75 AG's are. I have a pair for just rec skating with the gf. Good skates imo. I think the 80 AG's might be too.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Haglunds are pretty much a rite of passage. We get our 'Bauer Bumps' before we have a learners license. I always called them 'bone spurs'. I never heard them called 'haglunds' until I read this thread, to be honest.

I can remember the exact day I got mine started: Christmas Day 87'. I got a pair of Bauer Supreme 92's. They were the HOT skate that year. I went to an outdoor rink at about 10 AM and played until...oh...about 10 PM. The boots were bloody by the time I took them off. I never was out of a skate long enough for the initial problem to heal. (pardon the pun)
So...

They got bigger for a few years...and probably there was some pain/fitting issues back when my feet were still growing.

Ive been a size 10 for many years now. Every pair of shoes or skates I own are distinguished by the same 'divot' in all of them, where the haglund on each foot wears a hole through leather. Right down to the plastic in any of my older skates.

I think if your getting them now (as an adult) you should pay closer attention to them and take better care than what I did.

Had I known about NOT wearing cotton socks and stuff like that...I could have avoided the problem, maybe.
I played for a couple of hours today and afterwards I felt it a very little, like not enough to even complain about it.

I am going to get them punched anyway just to be sure and have him do the toe cap in my left skate as well since my big toe touches that sometimes. that isn't a huge deal playing indoors but outdoors cold transfer will blacken the big toe tip where it is making contact with frostbite which is very painful until it heals and the dead flesh regows and stops bleeding.

I had it happen once and it took a long time to heal.

But yeah thanks for the info on these "Bauer Bumps".

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
jbennardo

I thought I was the only one who was growing bone bumps! My last pair of skates hurt so bad in one spot, I took a box cutter and made a little pocket for it. I really should get it looked at but that would mean surgery and time off the rink.. can't have that

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions about fit and socks.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote