HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van-Pit

Old
09-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

vCash: 500
Van-Pit

I'm totally going to get roasted for this, but I think it improves both teams.

To Pit:
K. Bieksa
C. Schneider
2011 2nd rounder

To Van:
J. Staal

Pittsburgh gets a solid defenseman who can help Gonchar carry the offensive load on the backend. They get a great goalie prospect to help backup and continue to push Fleury and a draft pick in what people are saying is a very deep draft in 2011.

Vancouver gets a young 2nd line center to play with R. Kesler. I believe Kesler and Staal would make a formidable line regardless of who the third wheel is and would be adept at both creating offense with their size, skill and speed, but at the same time be decimating to other teams offenses since both are great at shutting other players down.

Dugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
CPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post

To Pit:
K. Bieksa
C. Schneider
2011 2nd rounder

To Van:
J. Staal

Pittsburgh gets a solid defenseman who can help Gonchar carry the offensive load on the backend. They get a great goalie prospect to help backup and continue to push Fleury and a draft pick in what people are saying is a very deep draft in 2011.

Vancouver gets a young 2nd line center to play with R. Kesler. I believe Kesler and Staal would make a formidable line regardless of who the third wheel is and would be adept at both creating offense with their size, skill and speed, but at the same time be decimating to other teams offenses since both are great at shutting other players down.
Really? I am not trying to be a doosh but really?

CPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
eklunds source

From Canucks, no thanks. Too much for 1 player who is just like Kesler but not as good defensively, with "offensive potential" instead of actually putting up 50+ pts.

Leaves the Canucks with ZERO goaltending depth behind Luongo (what happens if he gets hurt again?), and we have to replace a gritty 45pt defenseman signed to a very reasonable deal.

That package isn't enough for Staal, and Staal isn't enough for that package.

Last edited by eklunds source: 09-03-2009 at 10:21 PM.
eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post

To Pit:
K. Bieksa
C. Schneider
2011 2nd rounder

To Van:
J. Staal

The scouts are saying the 2011 draft is the worst since 1999.And from a Vancouver pov i wouldn't do this

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:28 PM
AK

Pass.

Schneider has very little value to either team, as both have great goalies signed long-term. There's no reason for him to be in the deal.

It's basically Bieksa and a 2nd for Staal, which is pretty fair value, but I don't see how it helps the Pens get any better. There's no need to make big changes. They can win with what they have. Gonchar, Orpik, Letang, Eaton, Goligoski and McKee make a solid enough defense.

Doesn't make a ton of sense for the Nucks, either. Their team looks stacked as it stands right now. If they can get under the cap without giving up anything of importance, look out.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Thefalkon

I'm pretty sure Flower has the job locked down in Pittsburgh. They have no need for Schneider, and the Canucks don't have a need for Staal. Both teams would pass.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Peter Griffin

This doesn't make sense for either team. The Pens have Fleury locked up long term, they aren't going to be interested in Schneider. They also have a bunch of mobile puckmovers and although they could use Bieksa's grit on the back end, it's not a necessity. As for the Canucks, while Staal would be a nice addition, he really doesn't fill a need with Kesler playing a similar style and with Henrik locked down in the #1 spot and Hodgson expected to make strides over the next few seasons.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:41 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

schneider switches with grabner

and

2nd becomes 1st in 2010

i love when posters pull the 2011 bs, just man up and give this years pick up.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

No. We don't want to trade Staal, and especially not when a big part of the package is a young goalie that we have about as much use for as Vancouver does.

Schneider's a great prospect, but he'd be a waste here.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:44 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
schneider switches with grabner

and

2nd becomes 1st in 2010

i love when posters pull the 2011 bs, just man up and give this years pick up.
Congratulations. You took a mediocre deal for the canucks and made is significantly worse.

Not to mention that if we give up our first in '10, we don't get to make a selection until the 3rd round. No thanks.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Skelator 786*

No thanks. Jordan Staal is overrated by Pittsburgh "fans" and isn't much of an upgrade over Kesler if an upgrade at all. And he comes with a 4 million dollar price tag.

Skelator 786* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Congratulations. You took a mediocre deal for the canucks and made is significantly worse.

Not to mention that if we give up our first in '10, we don't get to make a selection until the 3rd round. No thanks.
ok. no staal for you.

im probably wrong. every deal that does happen is always a surprise to myself and probably everyone on this forum. kubina for exelby and stuart? unpredicted...erhoff and lukowich for 2 bad propects? awful.

ill admit that there are good predictions, like the whitney for kunitz deal was pretty well predicted, we all really have no chance at being gms, but this website lets us pretend

Old
09-03-2009, 10:54 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
ok. no staal for you.

im probably wrong. every deal that does happen is always a surprise to myself and probably everyone on this forum. kubina for exelby and stuart? unpredicted...erhoff and lukowich for 2 bad propects? awful.

ill admit that there are good predictions, like the whitney for kunitz deal was pretty well predicted, we all really have no chance at being gms, but this website lets us pretend
Staal doesn't help this team as much as Bieksa does right now. There's no reason to give away a 1st and a quality prospect to make our team worse in the short term and long term, it simply does not make sense.

Old
09-03-2009, 11:03 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Staal doesn't help this team as much as Bieksa does right now. There's no reason to give away a 1st and a quality prospect to make our team worse in the short term and long term, it simply does not make sense.
agree, i think bieksa is great. and if hodgson turns out the way he has been hyped, then you dont need a 2nd line centre. but staal is a good solid player. and ya what i put up is probably too much, but im not a big fan of grabner, huge fan of bieksa though.

just lookin to stir the pot

Old
09-03-2009, 11:07 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
agree, i think bieksa is great. and if hodgson turns out the way he has been hyped, then you dont need a 2nd line centre. but staal is a good solid player. and ya what i put up is probably too much, but im not a big fan of grabner, huge fan of bieksa though.

just lookin to stir the pot
Fair enough, but you have to remember we already have Kesler here who is pretty much the same player as J Staal except a little better defensively with a little less offensive potential. Our 3 centers will already be H. Sedin - Kesler - Hodgson.

One of the few players that I'd look at moving Bieksa for (That isn't totally impossible to get) would probably be Filatov actually. A line of Filatov-Hodgson-Schroeder would be absolutely sick a few years down the line... but I don't know enough about CBJ's defense to know if a deal centered around Bieksa would even make sense for them.

Old
09-03-2009, 11:08 PM
kmillzy5

nope..

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Quote:
Fair enough, but you have to remember we already have Kesler here who is pretty much the same player as J Staal except a little better defensively with a little less offensive potential. Our 3 centers will already be H. Sedin - Kesler - Hodgson.

One of the few players that I'd look at moving Bieksa for (That isn't totally impossible to get) would probably be Filatov actually. A line of Filatov-Hodgson-Schroeder would be absolutely sick a few years down the line... but I don't know enough about CBJ's defense to know if a deal centered around Bieksa would even make sense for them.
Except that Kesler only started really producing after being switched to the wing with a solid centerman on his line. Kesler is not a 2nd line Center. He is a 2nd line winger though.

Dugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:18 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

First of all, the Canucks don't need Jordan Staal. We've already got two top 6 centers in H. Sedin and Kesler, and two potential top 6 centers in Hodgson and Schroeder.

Second, the Penguins don't need C. Schneider to "push Fleury". What gives you that idea?

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Moore Money

I would do that.

Burrows-Staal-Kesler would be a great second line.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Knuts

Why the **** would Vancouver want Staal?

We have plenty of possible top 9 centers:
Sedin
Kesler
Wellwood
Hodgson
Demitra
Sundin?

Knuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I concur. Schneider isn't valuable to the Pens much at all and unless the Canucks want to take the slim chance that Staal is a 75 point guy then I don't think it makes sense at all. I love Bieksa though, I think he's exactly what the Pens need.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:21 PM
bdp

Awful for Pittsburgh. Vancouver runs away with this so fast.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano View Post
Awful for Pittsburgh. Vancouver runs away with this so fast.
Not at all. Both teams politely decline. Who wins here?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Both teams pass because neither need to do this deal, but I can't believe that Staal is still so overrated that people say Vancouver wins this. They get smoked value-wise.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:33 PM
jdpitt05

If Shero didn't trade Staal in the middle of this past season, when 70% of Pens fans were begging for him to be dealt, then it isnt going to happen now. "You cant win a cup with 3 centers making XXX amount of money" is an amusing line that i've heard from numerous posters that i'll look back on and laugh. Simple fact is that we just won the cup with Staal as our 3rd line center and only lost 2 one-dimensional pylons on D (where we upgraded to McKee-Goligoski). Theres no need for Bieksa. And no need to pay the price for a good goalie prospect with a young Fleury locked up long term.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote