HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What stick to buy?

Old
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Kritty

vCash: 500
What stick to buy?

I've been using the RBK 9k Phaneuf pattern for a few years now and I love it but I don't think it's made anymore or else I just can't get it around here. Anyone have any suggestions on comparable sticks? I've looked at the CCM V10 Ovechkin pattern and it's close but not quite the same kind of stick. Anyone used Warrior one piece that can shed light on how they are? Any ideas?

Last edited by Kritty: 09-03-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
I've been using the RBK 9k Phaneuf pattern for a few years now and I love it but I don't think it's made anymore or else I just can't get it around here. Anyone have any suggestions on comparable sticks? I've looked at the CCM V10 Ovechkin pattern and it's close but not quite the same kind of stick. Anyone used Warrior one piece that can shed light on how they are? Any ideas?

I have used Warriors ie tried them, I am by no means an expert on Warrior, but imo they are fragile as ****. I personally have broken 1 mac, 2 johnsons and 1 kronik (?). And not one of them belonged to me and had to fork out for new twigs. I am a bit biased, by a bit i mean a LOT, try a TPS R10-R6, even an R4, i think you will be happy.

P.S Do not, i repeat, do not buy an R1.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:12 PM
raganblink

9K? With the holes in the stick and such?

If you really like that then the comparable will be the V2 of that stick, 8.0.8 which isn't released in stores quite yet. There will be a 3.0.3 which will be a heavier version of that stick.

As for something that is available right now that is comparable? I'd go with Reebok 8K, CCM V10 or U + (not crazy lite), Easton ST, Sherwood RM19. If you can find a MacDaddy for around 100 i'd go with that.

Pretty much just go to your local hockey shop and ask around and try some sticks out. find one that you like, do some research, go back there and buy it.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:18 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:

I dont know where your from but if there is a Pro Hockey Life you can use their shooting gallery.

P.S i am not endorsing Pro Hockey Life, please use your LHS.

Old
09-03-2009, 07:24 PM
raganblink

hey bacon have you noticed how not alot of shops allow you to take the stick off the rack and throw some wristers on a net? we allow people to but whenever i go visit i ask to try it out and they are like "no". Then when kids come in here they are like omg we can shot the stick in here? sweet!

We've sold more sticks because people can shoot with it before they buy it since we put it in. like if we were selling 1000 sticks a year we've gone up to at least 1500-1750.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
hey bacon have you noticed how not alot of shops allow you to take the stick off the rack and throw some wristers on a net? we allow people to but whenever i go visit i ask to try it out and they are like "no". Then when kids come in here they are like omg we can shot the stick in here? sweet!

We've sold more sticks because people can shoot with it before they buy it since we put it in. like if we were selling 1000 sticks a year we've gone up to at least 1500-1750.
Besides PHL, Source for Sports lets you in some of their stores, other then that though, not really.

It is a really good idea though, keep it up, good on you.

P.S Where is your shop? if im ever down that way on Vac i will check it out and drop a few bucks for support.

Old
09-03-2009, 07:36 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I dont know where your from but if there is a Pro Hockey Life you can use their shooting gallery.

P.S i am not endorsing Pro Hockey Life, please use your LHS.
Haha, theres a PHL like 5min from where I live, I love the franchise, but they dont put on as many sales or promotions as I would like

I bought my One55 wood stick and my One55 OPS from there

Have you ever been to Hockey Experts? They have the same shooting gallery system (by Bauer I believe) and they just let you walk in and shoot whatever you like, they dont supervise you

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:44 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Haha, theres a PHL like 5min from where I live, I love the franchise, but they dont put on as many sales or promotions as I would like

I bought my One55 wood stick and my One55 OPS from there

Have you ever been to Hockey Experts? They have the same shooting gallery system (by Bauer I believe) and they just let you walk in and shoot whatever you like, they dont supervise you
PHL uses the RapidShot thingy, dont know if it is by Bauer.

Have been in the one in Miss.

The reason i hate PHL is its lack of Mission/Tps gear, and the cost, and the fact that LHS are going out of buisness because of these franchises.

Larry's Sports FTW!

Old
09-03-2009, 08:36 PM
fcb51

Some of the Warrior models in the past have been kind of brittle, but they are trying hard with this years models to improve the durability of them. I know a lot of people that have broken them though...

I have and use a Warrior Dolomite and I absolutely love it!!! The blade is a 'Nokelainen" pattern which is the same as a Kovalev but has a lower lie, '5 I think and has a 95 Flex. You can pick up a Dolomite for around $100 on eBay if you find them too expensive in the stores (which is what I did).

fcb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb51 View Post
Some of the Warrior models in the past have been kind of brittle, but they are trying hard with this years models to improve the durability of them. I know a lot of people that have broken them though...

I have and use a Warrior Dolomite and I absolutely love it!!! The blade is a 'Nokelainen" pattern which is the same as a Kovalev but has a lower lie, '5 I think and has a 95 Flex. You can pick up a Dolomite for around $100 on eBay if you find them too expensive in the stores (which is what I did).
The only impression I've had with Warriors happened after a tournament with my school team, a guy broke his $200 dolomite and there was this long blue plastic...bag thing in the shaft

From then on, I've always called Warriors the 'garbage bag' sticks

Old
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post

That sounds true enough. I was at the LHS up here at school, found a pro stock Vapor 40, and I asked for a smarthockey ball to stickhandle around with to make sure the feel felt okay for me. Wound up being a big factor in me buying the stick.

On a sidenote, stickhandling to keep the smarthockey ball away from a dog who's trying to fetch it is a pretty good drill.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
The 9k's have a little higher flex point. You could try the One95, which is similar in terms of flex with great feel.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Biggzy*

I just bought a Warrior MacDaddy 77 Flex and a Nike Bauer Supreme One75 77 Flex. Haven't had the chance to use them yet but I will this Sunday night. So I'll let you know how they are. As far as the curves, I got a Kovalchuk for the Warrior, and Gagne for the Bauer. I still haven't found a curve that I love so I'm trying different ones out.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That sounds true enough. I was at the LHS up here at school, found a pro stock Vapor 40, and I asked for a smarthockey ball to stickhandle around with to make sure the feel felt okay for me. Wound up being a big factor in me buying the stick.

On a sidenote, stickhandling to keep the smarthockey ball away from a dog who's trying to fetch it is a pretty good drill.
lol, it had better not be a small dog, or you might whack it by accident or somthing

Old
09-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Cams

Kritty - if you like the Phaneuf pattern, I would suggest trying something like a Kovalev Warrior or my fav (open heel curve) is the Drury pattern in Easton. I am currently using a 2 pc set up with and Easton Synergy Elite shaft and Synthesis blade - btw - I find these blades really brittle, but got the shaft and blade on sale for $99 CDN, so couldn't pass it up. Since finding the Drury pattern years ago, I absolutely love it and have used it exclusively, or at least something similar when I've strayed from Easton. My V110 CCM OPS is a J. Allison patter, also close to the Drury, however I am about to purchase a XXXX with a Staal pattern. Getting that at a great price too.

raganblink - I wish more shops had some kind of shooting gallery thing. I don't think there are any in Windsor that do that. I know the one golf shop will let you grab a driver or whatever and hit a small bucket of balls, but nothing like that for hockey. I think this would highly increase stick sales, especially for those who are on the fence about a certain curve, flex, etc. Why risk dropping a lot of cash on a stick you aren't sure you are going to like? I've been in situations where I was unsure if I was going to like a certain stick, and as a result, did not buy one.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:31 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
lol, it had better not be a small dog, or you might whack it by accident or somthing
It was golden retriever. Just walked over while I was stickhandling and started going for the ball. Quite funny.

And yes, he eventually got it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote