HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Stalberg Prediction

Old
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
ugotmybeef*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
what are you basing this on? i mean how do you just sit there and not only come up with this stuff but take it one step further and post it on a hockey board like its suppose to have some sort of meaning or something? you think he'll bring more consistently than Poni. LOL.
I think, based on every thing I have read on these boards that alot of posters should read, WAY more than than post.
Great post, other than not providing anything meaningful other than making up numbers and projections on a player you have never seen play.
My turn.
Stalberg-my unofficial predictions.
consistent 40 goal scorer, future hall of famer, traded along with jesse blacker in 2014 for sidney crosby, scratch golfer, light weight drinker, has 4 kids with the octomom, likes long walks and slow kisses, brings alot more than Poni brings consistently.
funny thing is my predictions are about as baseless as yours. sad but true.
might as well criticize everyone that makes a post. I gave out what I thought of him. Apparenty, opinions are meant to be bashed. Oh well.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
akiberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
might as well criticize everyone that makes a post. I gave out what I thought of him. Apparenty, opinions are meant to be bashed. Oh well.
again, opinion based on what? quantify your opinion, otherwise it's no different than my predictions.
giving opinions on how many points lee stempniak is going to score next year is something we all can have, as we all watched him play on the leafs last year.
giving an opinion on a prospect whom you never seen play is not an opinion. but its not even so much that you give these 'opinions' all the time its the way you seem to offer them like they are a statement of fact. 50-60 points. 20-25 goal scorer, count on it. more consistent than poni.
too bad you can't give these 'opinions' of players to the leaf brass prior to the drafts. i mean, had they of known everything you seem to know do you think they would of taken a 25 goal scorer before the 6th round?

akiberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Why don't you ask 20 nhl scouts who have both watched Hanson and Stalberg if they possess similar offensive upside. When none of them agree with you, then we can discuss the "brain you own". I didn't use the reference, you did.
Congrats: you've stopped making any sense at all, compared to the mite of sense you had before.

Sorry, what? Who's comparing Hanson and Stalberg? Where does Hanson fit into this at all, other than me naming a random player who is also not a sniper? You're reaching, badly. It's alright, I didn't expect someone on a message board to admit they completely misread something.

Quote:
BTW, did Niewendyk every approach you at the games to get your inside take on Victor's progression?
Oh wow! Was that an I-cant-admit-I'm-not-going-anywhere-with-this-so-I'll-crack-a-terrible-joke line? Cheers.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
russmatuss

Quote:
Stalberg isn't a sniper, just like Hanson isn't a sniper. Agree or disagree, ask around.
The actual quote was 'Stalberg is not a sniper, plain and simple. In the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper, and Ponikarovsky is not a sniper.' Madic was just using Hanson as an example. He's since explained this clearly as you misread what he said:

Quote:
Interestingly enough I was making an entirely different point. My point was I know Stalberg is not a sniper in the same way I know Hanson is not a sniper: I have watched them play and own a brain.
He could change the name Hanson to anyone on the Leafs who isn't a sniper and the statement would still hold true. He was saying that he knows that Stalberg isn't a sniper because he's seen him play with his own eyes. He also knows that Hanson (or Poni, or Mitchell, or Stajan etc.) isn't a sniper because he's seen them play with his own eyes. Never did he compare Stalberg to Hanson (unless you count saying that neither are snipers) or say that they have similar skill levels.

EDIT: I see Madic has just addressed this while I was typing.

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Madic

You've got the right of it, cheers.

Unless certain people are wildly and blindly determined that Stalberg is and will be a sniper, I don't see where all the arguments are coming from. Oh well, guess we're not allowed to watch prospects play anymore!

Old
09-02-2009, 11:17 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

This thread = Diarrhea

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
This thread = Diarrhea
Which makes your post...?

Nice of you to come out.

Old
09-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Stalberg isn't a sniper, just like Hanson isn't a sniper. Agree or disagree, ask around.
He wasn't saying they're the same, he was saying that he knows that Stalberg isn't a sniper just as he knows Hanson isn't a sniper because he's seen them with his own eyes.

Quote:
Why don't you ask 20 nhl scouts who have both watched Hanson and Stalberg if they possess similar offensive upside. When none of them agree with you, then we can discuss the "brain you own". I didn't use the reference, you did.

BTW, did Niewendyk every approach you at the games to get your inside take on Victor's progression?
He didn't say that..

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:48 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Oh well, guess we're not allowed to watch prospects play anymore!
Apparently only scouts can have valid opinions on this board

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Is that your opinion?

Qualified or unqualified?

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Cheers man.
I was wondering, Shef was saying in that thread his highlights remind him of Moreau. Do you think there's a comparison there at all?

And lol @ the rest of this thread. Seriously. If you don't agree with Madic, fine. But you guys are literally making it out like "THESE DISCUSSION BOARDS ARE NOT FOR DISCUSSION." Everyone just posts their opinion here. I didn't see a new rule saying that you had to be a scout or similar professional to do so.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Can someone who isn't a sniper become one? Do NHL players work on their shots over the summer, or do they focus on conditioning or skating?

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleHandNik View Post
Can someone who isn't a sniper become one? Do NHL players work on their shots over the summer, or do they focus on conditioning or skating?
I'd say there can always be improvement but true snipers just have more god given talent.......and just not talking about the shot itself but the release,ability to get in position,shot at awkward positions,hit the net ect...

My thanks to Madic for providing some insight based on actually watching the guy for two years.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
I'd say there can always be improvement but true snipers just have more god given talent.......and just not talking about the shot itself but the release,ability to get in position,shot at awkward positions,hit the net ect...
Agreed a natural gifted goal scorer is something that goes beyond simply just shooting a lot of pucks and practice..

Jeremy Williams for example has a talent and scores goals at all levels because of his hard and accurate shot and ability to find seams in the defense to go to in order to get those scoring opportunities..

Viktor Stalberg is an exciting Leaf prospect because he is big and strong and has NHL elite skating ability already.. He has also been able to score at previous levels ..

Last season at Vermont Stalberg scored 24 goals and 46 points in 39 NCAA games .. Back in 2005-06 just before he came over to NA play in the USA he put up 27 goals and 53 points with the Frölunda Indians J20 league in Sweden.. So its going to be interesting to see the type of offense he can produce at the pro level, but he has all the tools and history to be successful.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:46 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleHandNik View Post
I am sure they work on any part of their game that they feel can be improved. How much they can improve depends on the individual. Years ago Tony Tanti said he started shooting 500 pucks a day the summer before he scored 81 goals in the OHA. That might be common nowadays so not tht easy to further improve.

Being a guy that shoots the lights out doesn't mean you will be a great goal scorer. One of the traits of most really good goal scorers is that they get in position to take a lot of shots. Talented players who's coaches say they need to shoot more, like Hemsky or Tanguay, were never able to add that second part to their scoring game.

Stalberg may not be a sniper but neither was Alfredsson until he was 28. It will be interesting to compare his success to Stefanovich who has a great shooting percentage, but doesn't take that many shots.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
darrylsittler27

He will play but not this year.

Looks like a 3rd line guy who is nice to have on your team.He would have to do it at the ahl level to get a crack at Burke's team though because it is top 6 or nothing for him.He will play in the NHL,2011,for another team.The leafs have at least 6 guys better than him already.Tlusty,Kulemin,Stefanovich,Grabovski,Kadri and Ryan/Hayes(Burke loves beef).Nice injury filler though.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:00 AM
thepublichairs

I can see the leafs using Stralberg by giving him a try out if it is near the end of the year and we will not make the playoffs. He can also be used if there is an injury but other than that I don't see him making the leafs line up right off training camp.

thepublichairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Exactly. You have to prove you're a scout if you have a dissenting opinion from my own.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:46 AM
wayne98

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
I have to agree. I believe he may be perhaps the Leafs' safest prospect with the size and NHL level skating but he hardly snipes from what I've seen of him. His shooting ability looks to be average at best. I didn't see any standout puck skills although he's not bad. I believe to score consistently at the NHL level he's going to need to stick his nose into the danger areas on the ice. That's a tough life and few players are up to that task. We'll see. This prospect is a favourite of mine. It's personally gratifying to have surmised that he was the best prospect in NCAA while the majority thought that player was either Ruegsegger or Rau.
I agree with you, also i agree with someone else who wrote he is kind of like Fransen, now if he can play like fransen he will be a top 6 forward or a top 3 forward easy.. I think he is one of the leafs best prospects, and wilson and burke better give this guy a fair shot, i would hate to see this guy get sent down if he is playing good because they want to give a north american guy a spot on the team i.e wayne Premeau...

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:54 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Looks like a 3rd line guy who is nice to have on your team.He would have to do it at the ahl level to get a crack at Burke's team though because it is top 6 or nothing for him.He will play in the NHL,2011,for another team.The leafs have at least 6 guys better than him already.Tlusty,Kulemin,Stefanovich,Grabovski,Kadri and Ryan/Hayes(Burke loves beef).Nice injury filler though.
I think Stefanovich has big enough holes in his game he may never play in the NHL. I am pretty sure the organization rates him behind Stalberg, who would have attracted a lot more interest than Bozak if he was an FA this year.
Ryan and Hayes are barely on the map as pro prospects. They have a long ways to go before they are more than long shots, and are less likely than Stef to become NHL players of any kind.
Not saying Stalberg is a sure thng or a budding star, but he looks ready to be a solid pro today, which you can't really say about Stef yet and definitely not about Ryan or Hayes.
He isn't one dimensional or a perimeter player and with his size and speed if his scoring didn't make it he could play a bottom 6 role although they will give him every chance to be a scorer before that happens.
I don't think he will start the season with the Leafs either though. With Poni still onthe club they have a spot for Tlusty and thats about it.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
Not that I don't like Stalberg, but you are aware that the shots he fires in youtube videos are the best shots he's fired, right? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
That doesn't mean he's incapable of taking those shots again..Shooting, especially when you're at that level, isn't just a whole bunch of luck. I realize highlights are made to show the person's best performances, but they can still be used to analyze skill. The thing is, many players don't play the same way when they come to the NHL, or they have something else dragging them down that leads to them not being able to score as they did in junior or NCAA.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
I was wondering, Shef was saying in that thread his highlights remind him of Moreau. Do you think there's a comparison there at all?

And lol @ the rest of this thread. Seriously. If you don't agree with Madic, fine. But you guys are literally making it out like "THESE DISCUSSION BOARDS ARE NOT FOR DISCUSSION." Everyone just posts their opinion here. I didn't see a new rule saying that you had to be a scout or similar professional to do so.
I personally like the comparison.

Both around the same size. Similar powerfull skating stride and acceleration and comparible hands. If he never develops any real offensive ability at the NHL, I could see him turning into a player similar to Ethan Moreau.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
That doesn't mean he's incapable of taking those shots again..Shooting, especially when you're at that level, isn't just a whole bunch of luck. I realize highlights are made to show the person's best performances, but they can still be used to analyze skill. The thing is, many players don't play the same way when they come to the NHL, or they have something else dragging them down that leads to them not being able to score as they did in junior or NCAA.
Just like the last guy who got my meaning wrong, I again never said he can't take good shots. All I'm saying is Youtube is useless for looking at talent.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote