HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

* New York Rangers Training Camp 2009 Thread *

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not changing my tune on McLaren, he sucks.
It's not like they will be asking him to log huge amounts of ice time. He is a big body that can hit. He would be the 6th or 7th Dman

McLaren/Heikkinen, Gilroy

that's my guess on who will get the final spots just based out of size for the first 2 and puck moving for Gilroy

I hope Sanguinetti and Sauer prove me wrong though

Potter I think will be a call up and then gone as a FA, too much depth in the system. He is like a Mark Bell type guy who will be up and down if anything

DelZotto one more year in the minors, same with Kundratek who I am exited to see

Old
09-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
It's not like they will be asking him to log huge amounts of ice time. He is a big body that can hit. He would be the 6th or 7th Dman
Can't hit what he can't catch

I'd rather get someone in there who has a future with this team.

Old
09-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

yea but if they carry 7 then why would they do that?. They won't carry a young kid as the extra. If anything it would be McLaren or even Potter as I see no reason to have him in the minors again. If he is then he is not in the teams plans and gone next yr anyways

Old
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
yea but if they carry 7 then why would they do that?. They won't carry a young kid as the extra. If anything it would be McLaren or even Potter as I see no reason to have him in the minors again. If he is then he is not in the teams plans and gone next yr anyways
There ya go, Potter, good call.

Old
09-04-2009, 03:19 PM
SkerZ
LGR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoIlaK5j238
deff got his arm up there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcEKLrE9zn0
this one is nice and clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxT08i1vm64
this one scares me

The man can deff lay a hip check and teach the youngsters how to hit but anything more than one year not under 750k i dont think is worth it

Old
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoIlaK5j238
deff got his arm up there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcEKLrE9zn0
this one is nice and clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxT08i1vm64
this one scares me

The man can deff lay a hip check and teach the youngsters how to hit but anything more than one year not under 750k i dont think is worth it
Vidz are all old, this guy really can't do those things anymore anyway.

Old
09-04-2009, 03:55 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

In the new THN,Larry Brooks wrote the Rangers will be doing cartwheels if MDZ challenges for the assignment of PP QB. The Rangers will give Wade Redden another opportunity to play on the PP point. Key competition on defense will be for the power play points.

Dubinsky will get first crack at playing with Gaborik. Prospal and Anisimov will compete for that spot.

Theme of the issue is camp battles.

Old
09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Defenseman Corey Potter is impressed with the talented group of young defensemen---like Matt Gilroy, Bobby Sanguinetti, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh---the Rangers organization has assembled. He, of course, will be battling those players as well as several others like veteran invite Kyle McLaren for one of the top seven spots in camp. The 25 year-old Potter told me that he gained "extra confidence" from his five-game exposure at the NHL level a year ago.
http://rinkrap.blogspot.com/2009/09/...y-weekend.html

Old
09-04-2009, 04:19 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
I posted the videos to say that he knows how to play physical and that is a good thing to teach a young defense especially when there all supposed to be so offensive

Old
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I posted the videos to say that he knows how to play physical and that is a good thing to teach a young defense especially when there all supposed to be so offensive
If they want to bring someone in to teach, fine, but it should be someone like Chelios, someones who has won something.

Old
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
If they want to bring someone in to teach, fine, but it should be someone like Chelios, someones who has won something.
I see were your coming from but to me Chelios is 46 and McClaren is what 32 I see him being a better fit if someone gets hurt

Old
09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
There ya go, Potter, good call.
haha , ok lets agree on this. If their is a 7th Dman its Potter or McLaren

Also McLaren is not in to teach. He is in cause he is a big Dman and one of the only reasons SJ did not carry him is because of his contract and the salary cap. Philly was willing to deal for him but he was banged up. If he comes in healthy he can help and will have to prove you and others wrong. That's what camp is for no?

Their is no pt to keep Gilroy, Sauer, Sanguinetti or even Heikkinen in that spot when they could be playing full time in Hartford

notice I don't put DelZotto cause unless he simply wows he is back in London of the OHL for one more year. They did not rush Staal when he had a great camp so they won't rush DelZotto

Old
09-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I see were your coming from but to me Chelios is 46 and McClaren is what 32 I see him being a better fit if someone gets hurt
Quote:
haha , ok lets agree on this. If their is a 7th Dman its Potter or McLaren

Also McLaren is not in to teach. He is in cause he is a big Dman and one of the only reasons SJ did not carry him is because of his contract and the salary cap. Philly was willing to deal for him but he was banged up. If he comes in healthy he can help and will have to prove you and others wrong. That's what camp is for no?

Their is no pt to keep Gilroy, Sauer, Sanguinetti or even Heikkinen in that spot when they could be playing full time in Hartford

notice I don't put DelZotto cause unless he simply wows he is back in London of the OHL for one more year. They did not rush Staal when he had a great camp so they won't rush DelZotto
Good points all around.

Personally, I hope the kids come through. I don't mind them being with the big club getting 12 minutes a night and practicing, living the life of an NHL'er.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
NYR Viper

I foresee Potter surprising quite a few people here.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:03 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I foresee Potter surprising quite a few people here.
I second that. I think he was able to build some solid confidence in the games he played last year. He was steady and did what he needed to do to make himself believe he could play at the NHL level. And he actually contributed in the process.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
goatt

I have a basic noob training camp question, there's more than 44 people on this roster cause Traverse city people will be added from what I read. How can a coach evaluate that many players over a 2-3 week period? I've never coached a thing but it seems like a lot for one coach (or three coaches) to handle...

Thanks!

Old
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatt View Post
I have a basic noob training camp question, there's more than 44 people on this roster cause Traverse city people will be added from what I read. How can a coach evaluate that many players over a 2-3 week period? I've never coached a thing but it seems like a lot for one coach (or three coaches) to handle...

Thanks!
It's not like they don't know who will be the main guys. You can cut that down to 30 in no time.

Old
09-04-2009, 07:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I agree 100% - but I don't really care about the invite because I doubt he'll make the team. He's too slow to do what he did best in the old NHL - hit - and other than that he's pretty useless.

09-04-2009, 08:02 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Agreed but he can still clear the crease better than any of our D.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
"He's got a fair whack at this thing. We have, I think, penciled in four 'D' and I'm not sure where those four 'D' will fit, but there are a couple of wide-open spots there and it's important that we develop some young defensemen. He's going to get a chance, just like a number of other people." -- John Tortorella
Quote:
Tortorella said he loves that Gilroy always is looking to get up the ice. It's an ingredient he felt the Rangers' defense corps was lacking last season.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=497619

Old
09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Plus who were the hits on?

Zednik (with his head down).

and...

Prucha

I'm not impressed.

He sucks. Sanguinetti, Sauer, Heikkinen, Del Zotto, or Potter would all be far better options.

And if we need a veteran, Bouillon or Seidenberg would be extremely better options.

Old
09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yes. Gilroy is a lock. I love this guy.

He would have to play really terribly to not make it and not hold his spot, and that is just not going to happen. He is a very good hockey player.

Old
09-05-2009, 10:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yes. Gilroy is a lock. I love this guy.

He would have to play really terribly to not make it and not hold his spot, and that is just not going to happen. He is a very good hockey player.
People who don't should read this article. It's hard not to love the kid when you read about him.

Quote:
"I have something to prove," he said emphatically. "That's the way I go at everything. Nothing is given to you, especially with Coach Tortorella. You've got to earn it and that's been my thing my whole life. I have earned everything I've got and I am not expecting anything else. I'm not as naive as, say, an 18-year-old coming in, but I'm still a rookie and I have to prove myself."

Old
09-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

I don't see McLaren making the team unless he has significantly improved since last March when he failed a Flyers physical which negated his trade to them from the Sharks.

He's had a history of back problems, which is probably the reason that he failed the physical. But, as evidenced by Steve Sullivan - it is possible to recover from back injuries and return to the NHL.

I have no doubt that the NYRs are signing a veteran for the blue line - so whether it's McLaren, Bouillon, Seidenberg (or someone else) remains to be seen.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I thought I read that McLaren failed his physical because his hand hadn't fully healed... was there an issue with his conditioning as well?

Closed Thread