HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Derick Brassard Signs 4 Year Extension

Old
09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Take a look at Dave Bolland for example.

Bolland

23 years old

2007-2008 - 39gp, 4g, 13a, 17pts
2008-2009 - 81gp, 19g, 28a, 47pts

$3.375 per year for the next 5 years. UFA after the deal.

Brassard

22 years old

2007-2008 - 17gp, 1g, 1a, 2pts
2008-2009 - 31gp, 10g, 15a, 25pts

$3.2 (avg) for the next 5 years. RFA after the deal.

So, we are paying Brassard less than Chicago is paying Bolland AND Brassard will still be an RFA at the end of the contract.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Only problem with that is that he's going to want $5-6m as an RFA, and we still have Mason, Jake and Filatov, which except Filly, have played more games then Brassard. There is no way we'll have Nash, Brassard, Mason, Vorachek and Filatov, all making $5m+. The baseline has been set for those guys with this contract
Would you rather have him be an UFA where we get no compensation if he does want $5M+?

Old
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

You see, I think Brassard could put up near a ppg. He hits it once or twice in his 4 year, 3.2 is a steal. You gotta think that by 26, he could hit his prime. Thats when if he does keep hitting near a ppg, he could be asking for more (around 5-6 mil per yr)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:24 AM
swisshead

Good deal for all involved.

swisshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
So, we are paying Brassard less than Chicago is paying Bolland AND Brassard will still be an RFA at the end of the contract.
Howson clearly doesn't know what he's doing. He should have made a big splash at the start of free agency so he wouldn't have the money to waste on deals like this...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

Bolland

23 years old

Brassard

22 years old

But the key numbers you're ignoring are 81 and 31, as in games played.

If Brassard can play a full season, then this deal is probably golden. If he can't, then not so much.

It's a gamble. That's all I'm saying.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Heard of the signing on 97.1 as I was headed to work. Got the numbers here.

That's about 1.3m/yr lower than my fears. Happy viqsi is happy and is doing the Happy Viqsi Dance.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Dutchman1350

There is risk with every player getting hurt. I'm sure S.H saw Brassard work hard this offseason on his recovery. He could have played in the playoffs, which shows his work ethic, and desire.

I love the move, and the long term thinking of S.H. The CBJ continue to move in the right direction.

Dutchman1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
danielfloyd

I think that this is a good move. As everyone has said, there is a bit of risk involved, but I think it is a risk worth taking. If Brassard comes out this season and puts up numbers all year like he was on track for last year, his market value would have skyrocketed when it was time to re-sign him. If Brassard turns into a bust, we have bigger problems anyway considering that he is expected to be a big part of the "future" of the CBJ. Also, I am not so worried about his health considering the shoulder was a bit of a fluke injury, which he sustained while performing an aspect of the game outside of his realm: fighting. As long as he keeps the gloves on, I do not think this will be a problem.

danielfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Inquiring Minds

Why would Brass sign this? He seemed to be sitting in the cat'sbird seat this year - if he does well the whole year he can command the $4-5 million range; if he gets hurt he falls back on the flashes of potential he showed last year; if he doesn't meet expectations, write it off to a sophomore slump.

Does anyone else think that he might have been influenced by Nash - signing for slightly less to keep the cap hit down, maybe enable the team to sign the other youngsters and maintain team continuity & chemistry?

Two guys, leading by example. I like what I'm seeing.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Nordique

Quote:

Bolland

23 years old

Brassard

22 years old

Great post. This contract looks even better relative to others.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Nash had a solid year and then a good year with a Richard trophy prior to getting his big risk-reward deal.

Brassard has played a good 30 games. That's it.

I won't do backflips over this deal until Brassard can prove that he's got 82 games in him.
Some skepticism is warranted over this.

Old
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Nash had a solid year and then a good year with a Richard trophy prior to getting his big risk-reward deal.

Brassard has played a good 30 games. That's it.

I won't do backflips over this deal until Brassard can prove that he's got 82 games in him.
Some skepticism is warranted over this.
And Nash got how much more than Brass is?

I guess you would have rather we waited, had him put up 60-80 points, and paid him $5m per year?

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 09-04-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Socks
HeadFake

I'm excited, this truly was a big surprise! Howson definitely knows what he's doing.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
And Nash got how much more than Brass is?

I guess you would have rather we waited, had him put up 60-80 points and paid him $5m per year?
If he's scoring 60-80 points a year -- in a full year -- I could absolutely live with a deal like that.

But if we're going to play the what if game, what if he's only capable of playing half seasons and by that I mean he either gets hurt or he doesn't have the stamina for 82 good NHL games. How awesome is the deal then? Not very, I say.

I understand the risk-reward prospect of this deal and completely acknowledge that Brass is talented enough to make every penny worth it and make Howson look like a genius (and certainly hope that will be the case), but what I'm also mentioning is the fact that we haven't seen Brassard play more than 30 good NHL games.

To go back to your Bolland comparison, he's played 120 games. That's a pretty good sample.
Brassard has played 48 games (including a lackluster 17 in his first season). Not as good a sample.

This isn't the worst gamble in the world by any means. I get it. But there is a definite and obvious down side to it too.

I'm simply saying, for me, the jury is still out on this one.

Old
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

But if we're going to play the what if game, what if he's only capable of playing half seasons and by that I mean he either gets hurt or he doesn't have the stamina for 82 good NHL games. How awesome is the deal then? Not very, I say.
So Fredrik Modin?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
So Fredrik Modin?
Are you happy with how that turned out then? I mean, the majority of folks thought that was a good idea at the time, including Hitchcock.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Are you happy with how that turned out then? I mean, the majority of folks thought that was a good idea at the time, including Hitchcock.
What? Where did that come from?

It was a joke.

If we're going to take it seriously though, it could be worse. If Brassard turns into the new Modin, that sucks, but he'll still have value. I'd rather have 30 games of Modin because he's injured instead of 30 games of Backman because he sucks.

If you don't think he'd have any value if he gets injured again this year (or next year) just look at Leclaire. This deal isn't so outrageous that it's an untradeable contract. I'd rather have him signed to this deal rather than to have a PPG pace all season, be signed to $4+ million and THEN get injured again. We could go in circles about those scenarios all day.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
We got a...

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
48 NHL games and we're signing an extension? I hope it's not paying him much. He has yet to prove he can hold up for even half an NHL season.

I like what I've seen, but I just haven't seen enough to be excited about this.
Such is the new NHL. I don't care for it much, but guys are going to get paid for potential. If you don't adhere to that philosophy, you're going to have a lot of problems keeping your team together in the future.

I love this deal. Of Brass, Filatov, and Voracek, Brassard will be the best IMHO, assuming he can stay healthy (which admittedly, is a more of an if than I'd care to admit)

And ****, if Jeff Finger is worth a 3.5 million cap hit, Brassard is fine at 3.1 mil.

09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
blahblah

No complaints. I, personally, like the move. As others pointed out, there are risks. In this case I think the potential rewards outweigh the risk.

Quote:
I'm simply saying, for me, the jury is still out on this one.
It should be for everyone. Big deal though, we can all complain later if it doesn't work out. This gives Howson some idea of how to deal with the other signings now that he knows what the dollars are going to be.

Quote:
In hindsight, it was still a good move. Just didn't pay off like we hoped. Any player is one hit from retirement.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Howson has some big cajones to make a bet like this.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:09 PM
RichNash61

two words:THANK YOU!!!!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Such is the new NHL. I don't care for it much, but guys are going to get paid for potential. If you don't adhere to that philosophy, you're going to have a lot of problems keeping your team together in the future.
I don't mind paying for potential. Just wanted to see a little more from Brassard first.

Old
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Crossbar Ping

Flyers and Nucks fan here, but I have a question about Brassard for my upcoming pools.

I like what I've seen, great ppg percentage, and he only injured himself in that fight..

what do you all project for Brassard this upcoming season? I was thinking anywhere between 62-75 points.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
I guess for me, if this deal had been 2 years instead of 4, I'd be happy with it. If he outperforms it and stays healthy then so what if he wants 5 mil/season on his next contract? He's worth it.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote