HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do rec-league goalies pay to play?

View Poll Results: Do rec-league goalies pay to play?
Yes - full price 18 22.50%
Yes - but less than full price 30 37.50%
No - they play for free 34 42.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I wouldn't care ... playing "hit the post" is fun too and we've done it often. The only time you NEED a goalie is for a league game otherwise who cares honestly.

I don't care for a goalie's attitude who thinks people cannot play without him so he doesn't have to pay.

If I played goal I would pay as to not look like a tool.
Who cares? That surprises me, the different groups I play with all react badly when they don't have two goalies for a skate. Call it an attitude on my part if you want, that is a reality that I'm sure many skaters around here will back up as many are not content to shoot at a post or hung shirt at ice time they paid for.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:33 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
Who cares? That surprises me, the different groups I play with all react badly when they don't have two goalies for a skate. Call it an attitude on my part if you want, that is a reality that I'm sure many skaters around here will back up as many are not content to shoot at a post or hung shirt at ice time they paid for.
We you guys talking shinny or league?

I have no problem playing Ringer if goalies dont show. Been in this position many times and have never had a problem with it. If someone wants to ***** or not play because there are no goalies, they can gladly get of the ice.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Hounsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
We you guys talking shinny or league?
I'm talking about organized pickup as in the same group of guys renting the ice every week.

On the original question of the OP, I pay to play league.

Old
09-04-2009, 09:38 AM
OprtnShtdwn

vCash: 500
With the group I play with, when we get ourselves Sticktime, they never charge the Goalies. We usually get the rink for about an hour and a half, so each player usually gets charged between 11 to 15 bucks. Only once have I been charged for a Sticktime pickup game...... needless to say, I didn't come back again. 18 bucks for an hour of hockey, wtf!

I know RMU SportsCenter down here in Pittsburgh charges their goalies the same price as skaters in pick-up. However, for Pick-up, I don't believe anywhere else down here charges.

As far as league play goes, I know some leagues charge the goalies half-price if the league has a draft system. But in the 2 leagues i've played goalie for, I haven't been charged. I do feel rude though when they ask if anyone brought their money, cause I feel like I should at least do my part from time to time.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:35 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Stopping the puck when their teammates are too inept to do their job?
Metaphorically speaking, yes.

Pickup -- goalies are free. I played in one pickup game where the group paid the goalie $50 to play. I assume he wasn't a regular and they "hired" him for the session, though.
League -- As I understand the #1 goalie pays regular league fees but the backup only pays $25 for the entire 20 game season.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I despise playing without two goalies. I'd almost rather stay home. Everyone else I play with feels the same. Totally sucks playing posts. I could care less if a goalie gets a discount or plays pick up for free.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
pfloyd75

Playing posts is better than nothing but having goalies makes things much more enjoyable.

I would gladly pay to play at drop in as a goalie, but if they aren't going to charge me I'm not complaining.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I hate goalie arrogance is my point.

I go out on a public rink with a goal cage I throw in the pickup truck and have hours of fun all by myself practicing.

I attribute being able to shoot as good as I do to that.

There is always something to practice and there is no bad ice time period ever. You don't need a goalie to have fun period and if you do you are missing the point about practice and getting better. You don't need a goalie to work on stick handling, passing, shooting, defensive play etc etc etc. The entire game isn't "shoot on a goalie".

Goalies are necessary for league games and anywhere else one can make the best of what is available. Some goalie who feels his crap doesn't stink and doesn't need to pay like everyone else does can kiss me butt.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
It's ironic that you're concerned about goalie arrogance, given that you seem to have more than a fair amount of arrogance yourself.

Or maybe that's just the way you are choosing to present yourself here.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
BadHammy*

I've seen different things happen in different leagues. Some charged full, some charged less and some charged nothing. Some even gave people free equipment to get them to play goalie full time. It just depends.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Hounsy

Quote:
There is always something to practice and there is no bad ice time period ever. You don't need a goalie to have fun period and if you do you are missing the point about practice and getting better. You don't need a goalie to work on stick handling, passing, shooting, defensive play etc etc etc. The entire game isn't "shoot on a goalie".
The guys I play with in their 20's 30's and 40's are not interested in paying $15 each week for an hour of practice. That might work for you and that's cool, but my groups for the majority are not interested in that.

And again for the record they don't need me for my skills, they need me for my dependability. But hyping my "dependability" very well could be an arrogant thing to do, so who's to say your wrong either.

But you sound like a goal scorer so as a goalie we're pretty much destined not to see eye to eye on anything.

Old
09-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
The guys I play with in their 20's 30's and 40's are not interested in paying $15 each week for an hour of practice. That might work for you and that's cool, but my groups for the majority are not interested in that.

And again for the record they don't need me for my skills, they need me for my dependability. But hyping my "dependability" very well could be an arrogant thing to do, so who's to say your wrong either.

But you sound like a goal scorer so as a goalie we're pretty much destined not to see eye to eye on anything.
The goalie on our team paid for the whole season, same price as everyone else. The pickup goalies we use also pay.

I dislike the "you need us more than we need you" mentality some goalies have. I am not being specific to you individually by the way, I don't even know you.

But for shinny hockey or practice outdoors I really could care less if a goalie is there or not, they simply are not necessary. When was the last time anyone ever counted goals in a shinny hockey game? It isn't about that .... yeah it is nice when one shows up to play but not the end of the world if one doesn't either.

That was my point.

We want a goalie for our pickup games that we rented the ice for .... absolutely BUT THEY PAY.

Old
09-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Ryan52

Quote:
I wouldn't care ... playing "hit the post" is fun too and we've done it often. The only time you NEED a goalie is for a league game otherwise who cares honestly.

I don't care for a goalie's attitude who thinks people cannot play without him so he doesn't have to pay.

even if you were told you wouldnt have to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
I despise playing without two goalies. I'd almost rather stay home. Everyone else I play with feels the same. Totally sucks playing posts. I could care less if a goalie gets a discount or plays pick up for free.
so, all in all, you dont like playing the sport of hockey that much ("I'd almost rather stay home.") except for the shooting on the goalie part? you dont like passing the puck, deeking people out, etc. at pick-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
It's ironic that you're concerned about goalie arrogance, given that you seem to have more than a fair amount of arrogance yourself.

agreed

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I've seen different things happen in different leagues. Some charged full, some charged less and some charged nothing. Some even gave people free equipment to get them to play goalie full time. It just depends.
Someone find me a rink that does that... I'd play goalie non-stop if it wasn't so damn expensive to get started!

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Frankie Spankie

I play in 2 leagues, one is $250/season and the other is $270/season. Both leagues, goalies pay $55/season.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
qwertysac

Quote:
The irony...

Oh and the goalies play for free in 2 out of 3 rec leagues i play in.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Ashe

First year playing net i paid.
Second year i paid half.
Now i bring a case of beer once a week, and everyones happy

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 06:34 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
First year playing net i paid.
Second year i paid half.
Now i bring a case of beer once a week, and everyones happy
If I brought beer every week/game it'd cost more than league fees!

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post

Let me guess, you're a goaltender.

Hey you guys can think whatever you wish about my views, playing goal is another position on the ice and the ice costs $$$.

... and yes I WOULD pay even if I did not have to for the same reason I would pay for my own meal even if someone else offered to pay for it. It's called showing some class and PROPER ETTIQUETTE.

Goalies who don't pay bother me, I'm sorry but they do. I see it in the same way as I would a freeloader mooching a meal.

It is my opinion of which I am entitled.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 09-05-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
qwertysac

Maybe you dont like goalies who don't pay, but theres 19 other players on the ice who probably have no problem with it because they rather have a goalie instead of an empty net to shoot at.

You sound like that guy in rec leagues with the big mouth in the locker room who acts like he organizes and runs the league, when in fact he doesn't. And if you do i feel sorry for the other guys playing with you, since they're most likely paying to play "posts" half the time.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Goalies who don't pay bother me, I'm sorry but they do. I see it in the same way as I would a freeloader mooching a meal.

On a rec league team I can see how it would bother you. The team has to pay and the burden should be split fairly between everyone.

But for open hockey I can't see why you would care? A goalie playing for free doesn't make it any more expensive for you, it just provides further incentive for a goalie to play, which improves your experience. If the rink owner puts that policy in place, then it is most likely in you, the player's, interest (to get goalies to turn out). If it benefits a goalie who would otherwise have saved himself the ten bucks, why begrudge him? Perhaps he otherwise couldn't afford to play, and would have skipped hockey, and then everybody loses (no hockey for him, no goalies for you). Are you the kind of guy who would be mad it wasn't you if your neighbor won the lottery?

I know there have been a number of times that hockey being free has been the difference between me going out to play and maybe going to the movies instead, or staying home and studying or something. Also, a lot of the guys that play have my number and a few other goalies' as well, and they don't mind ringing us up to come out if they're a goalie short. On a few occasions I have even stopped what I was doing to come play. If I had to pay ten bucks to do that, there is less chance it's happening.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Quicktimer

I don't care if goalies don't pay in shinny matches, which they don't here. If your in a "league" goalies pay what the players pay. If it's a mens beer league I guess its up to the team captain though.

Quicktimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:18 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Plays for free, but still gets beer duty.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
You're absolutely entitled to your opinion - I never claimed otherwise. However, I stand by my remark, and I'll add that you're one of the reasons why goalies won't show up to these sorts of skates (whether they have to pay or not).

And it has nothing to do with your anger at goalies not paying. My guess is that you're also the type who doesn't know how to warm goalies up before a skate (instead either wanting to show us how hard you can shoot, or how many dekes you can do on a breakaway), and that you're the type who will slash at a goalie's glove well after the play is dead.

(And that's my opinion - which I'm entitled to.)

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Happy Pony

Depends on the team, for mens league. Our goalie doesn't pay, and I'm fine with that, because he's good, and a good friend.

Drop-in is always free for goalies.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote