HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yvan Cournoyer on the lockout

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2004, 10:55 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Yvan Cournoyer on the lockout

Yvan Cournoyer:

"If I was still a player today, this is what I would say to the owners... 'Thank you very much for the last 10 years. Thank you because you have been very stupid in giving us whatever we want. Now let' s sit down and see how we can help both sides".

Even the former members of the NHLPA realize that the players have been getting far too much. It seems that it is only the current members of the NHLPA who think that giving back 5% of the current salaries will be enough to fix the problem.

It's them against the world. Everyone is on the owners' side.

Old
11-08-2004, 11:49 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
I agree, i wouldnt say we are on the owner side about how they handle the situation and how they manage to give so much to the players. But everyone agree ( I guess ) that the players are paid way too much.

Old
11-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Darz

Gotta think there are more than a few current players that have a similiar position as the Road Runner.

I would imagine if I was an NHL'er I would want to know why my representives seem to be sitting on their hands instead of pushing the league into having some sort of discussions. I mean, it the whole cap/tax issue can't be solved quite yet, I'm sure there are at least some other issues that the two sides can iron out first.

Old
11-09-2004, 07:59 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I read a Maclean's article from a month ago, about the lockout that mentioned one interesting tidbit. When the owners submitted all the ir financial data for what lead to the Levitt's report, a number of them "forgot in their haste" to include such sources of revenues as luxury box rentals and rink advertising. It's little wonder that the NHLPA doesn't trust the owners. Since the NFL implemented their cap system, every other major sport has tried to implement the same or similar system. It's no wonder that the NHL owner will demand a NFL-like cap, and will use any means possible to rationalize it.

Old
11-09-2004, 08:38 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout
I read a Maclean's article from a month ago, about the lockout that mentioned one interesting tidbit. When the owners submitted all the ir financial data for what lead to the Levitt's report, a number of them "forgot in their haste" to include such sources of revenues as luxury box rentals and rink advertising. It's little wonder that the NHLPA doesn't trust the owners. Since the NFL implemented their cap system, every other major sport has tried to implement the same or similar system. It's no wonder that the NHL owner will demand a NFL-like cap, and will use any means possible to rationalize it.
To be quite honest, I don't think that is a completely wrong thing to do. The first thing that needs to be done is for the Owners and the NHLPA to agree on what is considered revenue before determining that this information should be provided. As a comparison, no one is asking players to count the money they earn from sponsorships towards their salary so why should owners count the money they receive from advertising towards revenue to redistribute to players?

Although I do think that owners should count the luxury box rentals towards revenue and advertising revenue is more of a fine line in my mind, it just comes down to owners and players agreeing on what counts towards revenues to be shared in the player salary pool. Once that's been agreed on, it's a lot easier for owners and players to decide on how (and how much) that money is redistributed with players.

Old
11-09-2004, 12:31 PM
wedge

I'm getting depressed

worst month of november, EVER

Old
11-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Istvan

Unrivaled stupidity by the players. You don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Old
11-09-2004, 02:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
Unrivaled stupidity by the players. You don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
Istvan, I've read so many posts on this and the Busines of Hockey board and feel I can argue either side I guess but for the life of me, don't the players realize that eventually by declaring an impasse the owners can do what they want ? It may cost them a huge chunk of whta they project as income, but it seems they are willing to blow it up and start over. At some point, doesn't the NHLPA make the best of it ? Good to hear from you btw.

Old
11-09-2004, 09:06 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Yvan Cournoyer:

"If I was still a player today, this is what I would say to the owners... 'Thank you very much for the last 10 years. Thank you because you have been very stupid in giving us whatever we want. Now let' s sit down and see how we can help both sides".

Even the former members of the NHLPA realize that the players have been getting far too much. It seems that it is only the current members of the NHLPA who think that giving back 5% of the current salaries will be enough to fix the problem.

It's easy for someone to say "if I was still a player" .... I don't think he'd really see things the same way if he was actually playing at the moment.

Old
11-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Its not that I despise the players stance, because they took what was offered and I'd do no different.

The fact the NHL and NHLPA have had 10 years to figure this out, is what ticks me off. They both throw their arms up in the air, and scream bloody murder, when they both knew what was coming.

The entire bargaining process is a joke, and the NHL is a Mickey Mouse organization, led by the village idiot. I feel for neither of these two sides at this point.

Letting your business, and livelyhood, suffer because of mis-management, greed and an inability to negotiate is neither tragic or sad. Instead, it is an indicator of the "don't give a damn about the fans" attitude most pro sports share in this day.

And suffer they will, as I'm sure globs of fans will not warmly accept the NHL into their loyal hearts after this mess is cleaned up.

Closed Thread