HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yvan Cournoyer on the lockout

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2004, 10:55 PM
  #1
not quite yoda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Qatar
Posts: 3,505
vCash: 500
Yvan Cournoyer on the lockout

Yvan Cournoyer:

"If I was still a player today, this is what I would say to the owners... 'Thank you very much for the last 10 years. Thank you because you have been very stupid in giving us whatever we want. Now let' s sit down and see how we can help both sides".

Even the former members of the NHLPA realize that the players have been getting far too much. It seems that it is only the current members of the NHLPA who think that giving back 5% of the current salaries will be enough to fix the problem.

It's them against the world. Everyone is on the owners' side.

not quite yoda is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:49 PM
  #2
F. Duchemin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
I agree, i wouldnt say we are on the owner side about how they handle the situation and how they manage to give so much to the players. But everyone agree ( I guess ) that the players are paid way too much.

F. Duchemin is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 07:56 AM
  #3
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,424
vCash: 500
Gotta think there are more than a few current players that have a similiar position as the Road Runner.

I would imagine if I was an NHL'er I would want to know why my representives seem to be sitting on their hands instead of pushing the league into having some sort of discussions. I mean, it the whole cap/tax issue can't be solved quite yet, I'm sure there are at least some other issues that the two sides can iron out first.

Darz is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 07:59 AM
  #4
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I read a Maclean's article from a month ago, about the lockout that mentioned one interesting tidbit. When the owners submitted all the ir financial data for what lead to the Levitt's report, a number of them "forgot in their haste" to include such sources of revenues as luxury box rentals and rink advertising. It's little wonder that the NHLPA doesn't trust the owners. Since the NFL implemented their cap system, every other major sport has tried to implement the same or similar system. It's no wonder that the NHL owner will demand a NFL-like cap, and will use any means possible to rationalize it.

habscout is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 08:38 AM
  #5
StanleyCH25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout
I read a Maclean's article from a month ago, about the lockout that mentioned one interesting tidbit. When the owners submitted all the ir financial data for what lead to the Levitt's report, a number of them "forgot in their haste" to include such sources of revenues as luxury box rentals and rink advertising. It's little wonder that the NHLPA doesn't trust the owners. Since the NFL implemented their cap system, every other major sport has tried to implement the same or similar system. It's no wonder that the NHL owner will demand a NFL-like cap, and will use any means possible to rationalize it.
To be quite honest, I don't think that is a completely wrong thing to do. The first thing that needs to be done is for the Owners and the NHLPA to agree on what is considered revenue before determining that this information should be provided. As a comparison, no one is asking players to count the money they earn from sponsorships towards their salary so why should owners count the money they receive from advertising towards revenue to redistribute to players?

Although I do think that owners should count the luxury box rentals towards revenue and advertising revenue is more of a fine line in my mind, it just comes down to owners and players agreeing on what counts towards revenues to be shared in the player salary pool. Once that's been agreed on, it's a lot easier for owners and players to decide on how (and how much) that money is redistributed with players.

StanleyCH25 is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 12:31 PM
  #6
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,283
vCash: 500
I'm getting depressed

worst month of november, EVER

wedge is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 01:54 PM
  #7
Istvan
Registered User
 
Istvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Unrivaled stupidity by the players. You don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Istvan is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 02:52 PM
  #8
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
Unrivaled stupidity by the players. You don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
Istvan, I've read so many posts on this and the Busines of Hockey board and feel I can argue either side I guess but for the life of me, don't the players realize that eventually by declaring an impasse the owners can do what they want ? It may cost them a huge chunk of whta they project as income, but it seems they are willing to blow it up and start over. At some point, doesn't the NHLPA make the best of it ? Good to hear from you btw.

mcphee is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  #9
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Yvan Cournoyer:

"If I was still a player today, this is what I would say to the owners... 'Thank you very much for the last 10 years. Thank you because you have been very stupid in giving us whatever we want. Now let' s sit down and see how we can help both sides".

Even the former members of the NHLPA realize that the players have been getting far too much. It seems that it is only the current members of the NHLPA who think that giving back 5% of the current salaries will be enough to fix the problem.

It's them against the world. Everyone is on the owners' side.

It's easy for someone to say "if I was still a player" .... I don't think he'd really see things the same way if he was actually playing at the moment.

tritone is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 11:30 PM
  #10
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
It's them against the world. Everyone is on the owners' side.
Its not that I despise the players stance, because they took what was offered and I'd do no different.

The fact the NHL and NHLPA have had 10 years to figure this out, is what ticks me off. They both throw their arms up in the air, and scream bloody murder, when they both knew what was coming.

The entire bargaining process is a joke, and the NHL is a Mickey Mouse organization, led by the village idiot. I feel for neither of these two sides at this point.

Letting your business, and livelyhood, suffer because of mis-management, greed and an inability to negotiate is neither tragic or sad. Instead, it is an indicator of the "don't give a damn about the fans" attitude most pro sports share in this day.

And suffer they will, as I'm sure globs of fans will not warmly accept the NHL into their loyal hearts after this mess is cleaned up.

Habs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.