HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brassard signs 4 year extension. 3.2M/yr

Old
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
Why? for a game of fantasy hockey? One guy has shown elite NHL talent, the other two are unkown at this time. If CBJ are hoping for 2 basically rookies as their 1st line...TROUBLE.
Huselius is going to be on the first line to start the season, so that's one sophomore, one elite talent, and one proven effective (though somewhat streaky) top-6 player. Filatov would only be up there if he does that whole superstar transformation thing immediately. That would cause some problems in our top-6... but they'd be the good kind of problems.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Eytinge

Too early. The Jackets didn't need to give him this much money for RFA years.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
ILuvLucic*

I would have waited another season before handing that contract, but you know im not a gm.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Brass is a stud, if he can stay healthy this contract will look great.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
People are undervaluing Brassard. He is damn good. He has the talent to be a top line guy. He is already at worst a 2nd line center.

With strong wingers (which the jackets have plenty of) he could be a top line guy. In many ways he is the Jackets version of Backstrom.
Next off-season it will be talked about, on this board, on how Brassard is on one of the best contracts in the league. To me, I'd just be worried about his UFA year when he's still going to be relatively young and ready to hit his prime.

This kid is good, really good I predicted him to have a big breakout season over guys like Giroux. Columbus knows its going to happen too and they're saving their money by signing him now, rather than after his breakout year.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Next off-season it will be talked about, on this board, on how Brassard is on one of the best contracts in the league. To me, I'd just be worried about his UFA year when he's still going to be relatively young and ready to hit his prime.

This kid is good, really good I predicted him to have a big breakout season over guys like Giroux. Columbus knows its going to happen too and they're saving their money by signing him now, rather than after his breakout year.
I agree. I think he'll surprise alot of people.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Too much too soon for Brassard. Players have to earn these kind of contracts.

I see a lot of people mentioning Filatov but that's another player I'm not sold on. He looks like the next Forsberg, but thing is: Filatov is already going through an impressive list of injuries (he lost 15 pounds from a sinus infection!).

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Too much too soon for Brassard. Players have to earn these kind of contracts.

I see a lot of people mentioning Filatov but that's another player I'm not sold on. He looks like the next Forsberg, but thing is: Filatov is already going through an impressive list of injuries (he lost 15 pounds from a sinus infection!).
Zach Parise. Thats it.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

He will be an RFA at the end of this deal (as far as I know).

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Tripod

Here is how I see it. SH has taken a risk by signing him early...but could be a steal of a contract very soon. He has also established a benchmark for some future contracts. Voracek will need a contract at the end of next season. I'm sure people will agree that Brassard should/will have more points then him this year. So SH will be able to use this contract as a benchmark to keep Voracek's contract under 3.2 mill and the same could be said for Filatov as well.

Now as for the guys saying how Huselius is better than R. Whitney...come on. Silk in his last 4 years has had points of 77,66,56...Whitney...83,61,77 and in Whitney's 61 point year...it was in 66 games. Last year RW was tied for 22nd OVERALL in points.

Silk is not even close.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Zim

Brassard is 22 now, he has one year left on his ELC and then 4 years of this contract so that takes him to 27 and therefore he'd be a UFA at the end of the deal wouldn't he?

EDIT: Nevermind he's 22 in September so he'll be 26 when this new contract ends.

Last edited by Zim: 09-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:26 PM
4thliner*

3.2 per for the next 4 years for Bressard is a great signing and will only get better in years 2 3 and 4.

Voricek should be signed soon also, he will breakout big soon.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Rimers stache

Howson is pretty savvy, Brassard must really be impressing his coaches and trainers this offseason in order for this deal to go down. In Howson I trust!!!

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:22 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
3.2 per for the next 4 years for Bressard is a great signing and will only get better in years 2 3 and 4.

Jake is only in his 2nd year of his ELC. He will be done next year along with Mason.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:53 AM
knivez

Hm, I love Brassard, but this seems a bit too early. He's only been an NHL regular since last season, and that was cut short.

knivez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:26 AM

I think people will look back on this and think it was a genius move. I'm happy with it.

Brassard can play, and he can play well.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Qvist

Brassard proved last year he deserves to be regarded as a point-per-game player in the quite immediate future. I think this is a great contract for Columbus, if he can stay healthy.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:34 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
pretty steep for 48 NHL games played, But I think he will be a good player so it will work out.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
detredWINgs

This is going to be a great deal. I saw a decent amount of Brassard before the injury, and hes going to be a fun guy to watch. Great for the Jackets, and for Rick Nash. Those two on a line together should like it up.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post

And also, considering Columbus' reported money "troubles" - simply from being a small market team - they need to hand out longer term contracts so they can create camaraderie among their core players, and thus when their players are up for a big payday, they'll be motivated to take a "hometown" discount in order to keep the team together.

I think few people take that into account when players sign long-term contracts, but its important. People scoff at how the Wings have kept their veterans around past their expiration date, and how they hand out contracts and always make efforts to retain their UFAs above all else, but it helps the locker room out a great deal, as well as the cap these days.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:18 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I like this. Brassard is their first line center of now and of the future. This is just like the Bolland deal, except Brassard is more offensively gifted. He'll be outplaying this contract by year 2.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
My team is Edmonton, not Washington, so I know what it's like to have a struggling team. Horcoff, Hemsky, and Penner are all good players to have on a first line, despite their lack of production in past years (mostly Mac T's fault). Overall Columbus has a decent top 6, but the top 3 is still lacking. It's that #1 line which makes a team - look at Pittsburgh and Detroit.
Have to disagree. Whether or not it looks great on paper (which I think Huselius-Brassard-Nash does), that line has a lot of positives going for it. Two bonafide NHL scorers with a very promising, big, talented center.

Your point in bold is ridiculous. Any fan of Pitt or Det will tell you that while they have some of the most talented forwards in the league, their team's depth is what sets them apart. On that front, CBJ are doing things the right way. This isn't NHL10. Hell, even then you're better off pairing up two solid players and a random third guy so as not to waste talent. Furthermore, a position that has been a deficiency for CBJ over the years (center), looks more solid than half the league. I'll take Vermette, Brassard, Umberger, and Pahlsson any day of the week.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote