HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Luongo signs 12 years 64M deal

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 500
we sling mud because you guys take the bait everytime

our superiority complex compliments your inferiority complex

Old
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
tretiak09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post

It's like night and day.... or Night and Day... men. Aaa ahh!

Old
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
BlueChipper*

Quote:

That basically sums it up right there. Overall, I'm more of an NHL fan. Most will disagree with me here, but it won't really affect me if Canada loses the Olympics, wins the olympics, etc. Sure I'll watch, but I could care less.

If Luongo let in 7 goals in a big game I would honestly be laughing my a** off for days. That would be like me winning a sports select ticket by betting against Edmonton.

Old
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Whatever lets you sleep at night, kid. Peace.
The Canuck board must really be that boring.

Shame.

I'm sure most of us here would rather you stop coming by to spread your nonsense.

Old
09-04-2009, 02:38 PM
deanmoriarty

Listen here. Canucks fans in Vancouver are absolutely different than other Canadian fans. Try to get your hands on papers from the 6 cities throughout the season you'll see. I never cared much about the Canucks until I lived in Vancouver for half a year and in that small amount of time it became obvious how different they are from the rest of Canada.

Living through half a year+ of snow and below freezing weather is something essential to the development of the psyche of the Canadian hockey fan. Vancouverites think it's something insignificant but it's more important than they will ever realize.
In cities like Edmonton and Calgary, for half of the year their is nothing to keep you entertained but hockey. Hockey is what gets us through eyeball-freezing weather, driving to work in the dark at 40km/h over roads as slick as ice, being snowed in with 2+ft on the ground for weeks at a time, days entirely grey and white where you wonder, "what the hell am I doing here?". Hockey is how we endure. It's what feeds our soul, feeds us passion and intense emotional highs and lows during a season where you can forget how it feels to be human. Basically, it keeps us alive in a place where people from other parts of the world think "why would anyone live there?". Oilers fans, Flames fans, Leafs fans, Sens fans, Habs fans, are more passionate than Canucks fans in a much deeper, even spiritual way.

Now go ahead and tell me what a delusional idiot I am. Get it all out. I know how badly the truth can hurt.

Last edited by deanmoriarty: 09-04-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
Listen here. Canucks fans in Vancouver are absolutely different than other Canadian fans. Try to get your hands on papers from the 6 cities throughout the season you'll see. I never cared much about the Canucks until I lived in Vancouver for half a year and in that small amount of time it became obvious how different they are from the rest of Canada.

Living through half a year+ of snow and below freezing weather is something essential to the development of the psyche of Canadian hockey fan. Vancouverites think it's something insignificant but it's more important than they will ever realise.
In cities like Edmonton and Calgary, for half of the year their is nothing to keep you entertained but hockey. Hockey is what gets us through eyeball-freezing weather, driving to work in the dark at 40km/h over roads as slick as ice, being snowed in with 2+ft on the ground for weeks at a time, days entirely grey and white where you wonder, "what the hell am I doing here?". Hockey is how we endure. It's what feeds our soul, feeds us passion and intense emotional highs and lows during a season where you can forget how it feels to be human. Basically, it keeps us alive in a place where people from other parts of the world think "why would anyone live there?". Oilers fans, Flames fans, Leafs fans, Sens fans, Habs fans, are more passionate than Canucks fans in a much deeper, even spiritual way.

Now go ahead and tell me what a delusional idiot I am. Get it all out. I know how badly the truth can hurt.
So basically your argument is Vancouver isn't as much of a hockey city as any other Canadian city because it's way nicer than all the other Canadian hockey markets?

I can live with that. You're wrong, but I can live with it.

Old
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:

Living through half a year+ of snow and below freezing weather is something essential to the development of the psyche of Canadian hockey fan. Vancouverites think it's something insignificant but it's more important than they will ever realise.

I wish there was a "like" option for hfboards.

Old
09-04-2009, 03:42 PM
timorousme
luongod

well thats just dumb.

Old
09-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:

Your Tom Thomson avatar compliments your post nicely

Old
09-04-2009, 04:48 PM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

vCash: 50
I'm Really Tired of Seeing people Write, "Canucks Fans this, Canucks Fans that". I'm a Passionate Hockey fan And I Cheer for the Canucks, and I never fit the Characteristics you guys "Claim" Canucks fans are like.

I Don't Give a **** if the Canucks Haven't won a cup or are not as successful as your Beloved Oilers, Flames, Sens, Leafs, Habs etc. The Oilers Haven't Won a Cup Since 1990, The Flames Haven't Won a Cup sinnce 1989, Leafs since 1967.. ? The Canucks haven't won a cup in franchise history, and? Does that make our Present Team any worse than yours?

When The Canucks have a Better team than The Flames/Oilers Or we win the Division/Rank higher than your team, You Guys Can't Help But give us a History Lesson and say "Canucks suck and always will, They Have never won a cup and they Never will". And where 's your team during this "History Lesson"? At a Golf Course?

"Luongo Signs a 12 Year deal, $5.3M Cap hit". Does a thread with this as its Title need to end with a conversation stating our History? Do you need to say "Whatever, the Canucks will choke like they always do". Because we did something Good, and we Improved our team for years to come?

I Could Really Care less about any of you Oil Fans, I Mean I Have respect for you guys just as much as I Would for any other hockey fan, But I don't go around pointing fingers saying "19 years without a cup, Oilers Suck man".

With all due Respect, You Oiler Fans aren't any better than us 'Nuck Fans. So Lets Just Talk about hockey, Without having to slam the other fans Team.

Old
09-04-2009, 04:51 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle3 View Post
I'm Really Tired of Seeing people Write, "Canucks Fans this, Canucks Fans that". I'm a Passionate Hockey fan And I Cheer for the Canucks, and I never fit the Characteristics you guys "Claim" Canucks fans are like.

I Don't Give a **** if the Canucks Haven't won a cup or are not as successful as your Beloved Oilers, Flames, Sens, Leafs, Habs etc. The Oilers Haven't Won a Cup Since 1990, The Flames Haven't Won a Cup sinnce 1989, Leafs since 1967.. ? The Canucks haven't won a cup in franchise history, and? Does that make our Present Team any worse than yours?

When The Canucks have a Better team than The Flames/Oilers Or we win the Division/Rank higher than your team, You Guys Can't Help But give us a History Lesson and say "Canucks suck and always will, They Have never won a cup and they Never will". And where 's your team during this "History Lesson"? At a Golf Course?

"Luongo Signs a 12 Year deal, $5.3M Cap hit". Does a thread with this as its Title need to end with a conversation stating our History? Do you need to say "Whatever, the Canucks will choke like they always do". Because we did something Good, and we Improved our team for years to come?

I Could Really Care less about any of you Oil Fans, I Mean I Have respect for you guys just as much as I Would for any other hockey fan, But I don't go around pointing fingers saying "19 years without a cup, Oilers Suck man".

With all due Respect, You Oiler Fans aren't any better than us 'Nuck Fans. So Lets Just Talk about hockey, Without having to slam the other fans Team.
you must be new to both sports and the internet.

welcome, enjoy your stay... although it seems you might not.

Old
09-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle3 View Post

That part made me chuckle.

No its just funny cause recently I had some canuck fans try to tell me what good have the oilers done. Not make the playoffs? Okay dang you got us.

I think it was a great move that Luongo got signed, but then the usual Oiler "fan" compares it to Khabibulin and how he will "never live up" to his contract, that gets some people rilled up.

Then we have some Canuck fans come over and.... I'm not sure what you guys are trying to do. Or what your point is. To say LEAVE THE CANUCKS ALONE? or? Seriously I'm at a blank here.

You said lets go on and be hockey fans without slamming other teams, but here you are saying we are good at golf. I could say that we have at least 5 cup rings while we golf away but I don't know if this would hurt feelings or not. But hey, its not like the Canucks aren't on the green early on in the post season either.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipper View Post
That's Mike Gillis in the cartoon. I just never get why Most, NOT ALL, Canucks fans act so smug? Seriously. Why? A division title is their Finals trip. When you have such low expectations, that's what happens I guess. I have friends who are die hard Detroit fans. They never act this way.

I just don't get it. It's good to have a positive outlook, but it's another thing to act as cocky as ****.

Luongo signs a long term deal with a great cap hit - "Oh Lordy. Mike Gillis is the greatest even though he offered Sundin a 20 Million dollar contract that would have F'D everything up this year! MONEYPUCKKKK...."

"MONEYPUCK RULES - Even though I have no idea what it means, but I just like blurting it out! Yeah!"

"Our GM is the only GM out of all the others that wants to sign guys to a low cap hit and have them outperform it. Yup. Gillis invented that concept. Heck, till Gillis arrived, every GM's goal was to overpay all of their players"
Some of their media is ridiculously homeristic and many of the fans don't know any better to read past the bull. This is the same group that thought they were the cat's meow after the Flames injury-riddled implosion led to the Nucks backing into the division title. Then they beat the lowly Blues in the first round, a team that was clearly the worst one to make the playoffs, and they've got newspapers literally planning parade routes. They live in a different world. One where the Nucks teeter back and forth between being world beaters and a team of complete losers. There are bandwagon fans everywhere, but Vancouver is Bandwagon City.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
That part made me chuckle.

No its just funny cause recently I had some canuck fans try to tell me what good have the oilers done. Not make the playoffs? Okay dang you got us.

I think it was a great move that Luongo got signed, but then the usual Oiler "fan" compares it to Khabibulin and how he will "never live up" to his contract, that gets some people rilled up.

Then we have some Canuck fans come over and.... I'm not sure what you guys are trying to do. Or what your point is. To say LEAVE THE CANUCKS ALONE? or? Seriously I'm at a blank here.

You said lets go on and be hockey fans without slamming other teams, but here you are saying we are good at golf. I could say that we have at least 5 cup rings while we golf away but I don't know if this would hurt feelings or not. But hey, its not like the Canucks aren't on the green early on in the post season either.
don't bother, he won't understand until his team has at least one cup under their belt

it's the kiddy table for him until then

Old
09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
timorousme
luongod

in before the lock.

conclusion: both teams suck, but not as much as their fans

Old
09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
theranfordflop

There's a traditional Zen Buddhist story that really sums it all up quite nicely:

A man walking across a field encounters a tiger. He flees, the tiger chasing after him. Coming to a cliff, he catches hold of a wild vine and swings himself over the edge. The tiger sniffs at him from above.Terrified, the man looks down, and far below another tiger has come, waiting to eat him. Two mice, one white and one black, little by little began to gnaw away at the vine.

The man sees a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine in one hand, he plucks the strawberry with the other and eats it. Oh how sweet it tasted! He held the strawberry on his tongue as he let go of the vine. Then Pat Kane scored a hat trick on him. After that he went in to the dressing room and cried.

The moral of the story is the Vancouver Canucks are horrible.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
BlueChipper*

Talk about really being desperate to keep the guy: Luongo can ask for a trade after 5 years. Nice precedent the Canucks are setting here.

...five years into the extension. If Luongo isn't pleased with where the team is at, or where it's heading, he can then trigger a trade. The out clause is timed for what should be an organizational crossroads - one year after the Sedins' current long-term deal is up. The Canucks have agreed to accommodate the request by moving Luongo at that point.

Always been a "Diva"

Old
09-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

Haha, that's rich bro.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Talk about really being desperate to keep the guy: Luongo can ask for a trade after 5 years. Nice precedent the Canucks are setting here.

...five years into the extension. If Luongo isn't pleased with where the team is at, or where it's heading, he can then trigger a trade. The out clause is timed for what should be an organizational crossroads - one year after the Sedins' current long-term deal is up. The Canucks have agreed to accommodate the request by moving Luongo at that point.

Always been a "Diva"
You're right...the Canucks should have just walked away for nothing instead of potentially trading him 6 years down the road when he still will have real good value around the league (especially at that 5.33 cap hit).

This out clause is great IMO. If after 6 years the Canucks feel it's best to rebuild the team they can then move Luongo for a heck of a deal.

If the Oilers did the same thing with Hemsky I highly doubt you'd be upset.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
BlueChipper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
You're right...the Canucks should have just walked away for nothing instead of potentially trading him 6 years down the road when he still will have real good value around the league (especially at that 5.33 cap hit).

This out clause is great IMO. If after 6 years the Canucks feel it's best to rebuild the team they can then move Luongo for a heck of a deal.

If the Oilers did the same thing with Hemsky I highly doubt you'd be upset.
Hemsky is no Luongo, but yes I would be. I wouldn't want Hemsky, still in his prime, asking to be traded because he had permission.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
I don't even remember Oiler fans talking all high and mighty when they made the 06 cup finals. Hell, the Oilers have had more success post lockout than the Canucks, but we don't go gloating around about it.
Then you must be a bandwagon Oiler fan.

After 06 all everybody heard was how Edmonton was going to challenge for the conference title, win the division, Hemsky was going to score 50g and The Canucks were going to be at the bottom of the division for the next few years.

And Edmonton as a city is as equally worthless as Calgary. Vancouver may be lame as far as cities go but my god Edmonton is a ****ing wasteland.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
RKD

We're done here.