HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be on the stanley cup winning team?

Old
09-05-2009, 11:45 AM
MuchoMacho

vCash: 500
Who will be on the stanley cup winning team?

My question is, out of all of the players we have in our system right now, how many do you think will be on the team that wins the Stanley Cup? When I think of Burke's top six and bottom six system, I have a hard time believing that there'll be players like:

Kulemin
Grabovski
Tlusty
Hagman
Ponikarovski
Stajan

Players that I can see being on the team are:

Kadri
J. Mitchell
Orr
Bozak
Schenn
Beauchemin
Komisarek
Hanson

So the lines might look something like tthis:

Forwards:
_______ - Kadri - _______
_______ - Bozak - _______
_______ - Mitchell - Hanson
_______ - _______ - Orr

Defense:
Schenn - _______
Beauchemin - Komisarek
_______ - _______

Goalies
Gustavsson - _______

I think the blanks will be filled up by Free Agency, drafting and by the trading players like Tlusty, Kulemin, Grabovski etc. The key will be to trading them when their stock is the highest. I don't think Burke will just trade Tlusty or Kulemin in a rush, but I just as highly doubt that he plans on keeping them for the long haul.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:48 AM
ugotmybeef*

The myth that Burke is going to get rid of everyone like Grabo, Tlusty isn't happening. He kept key pieces like Naslund, Bertuzzi, Pahlson, the Anaheim kids etc, when he took over and worked with the pieces he had. The upcoming UFA's, most of them are probably gone. If Stalberg doesn't become a top 6 forward, he'll fill out your 3rd line.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
The myth that Burke is going to get rid of everyone like Grabo, Tlusty isn't happening. He kept key pieces like Naslund, Bertuzzi, Pahlson, the Anaheim kids etc, when he took over and worked with the pieces he had. The upcoming UFA's, most of them are probably gone. If Stalberg doesn't become a top 6 forward, he'll fill out your 3rd line.
I think Naslund was kept because he had great chemistry with Bertuzzi and Morrison. The Anaheim kids (I assume you're referring to Getzlaf and Perry) were kept because they fit his mold perfectly. I do think he'll keep Schenn, J. Mitchell and some others who fit the mold. But like I said I highly doubt that the top two lines will be a combination of Grabovski, Tlusty, Kulemin, Hagman, Ponikarovski and Stajan.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafanatic13 View Post
I think Naslund was kept because he had great chemistry with Bertuzzi and Morrison. The Anaheim kids (I assume you're referring to Getzlaf and Perry) were kept because they fit his mold perfectly. I do think he'll keep Schenn, J. Mitchell and some others who fit the mold. But like I said I highly doubt that the top two lines will be a combination of Grabovski, Tlusty, Kulemin, Hagman, Ponikarovski and Stajan.
Grabo, Tlusty, Kulemin have more chance to stay than Hagman, Ponikorovsky, or Stajan. Grabs wasn't resigned just to be traded. When Burke had Naslund, he wasn't the player he was pre-lockout. Just starting his career. It's still a rebuild, he's going to give the kids the chance to become top 6 forwards. Heck, when then NHL resumed in 2005-2006, Burke had a line-up full of question marks in terms of offence. Lupul was unproven, McDonald was unproven, Getzlaf, Perry, Penner were all just kids. He got rid of Sykora, Ozolinzh, and Federov. Selanne was the only established scorer on the team along with Neidemeyer. He gaves the kids the chance to assume those roles. Hagman can be a 3rd line player that gives Burke what he's looking for. The lineup for the top 6 forwards you have right now, wont' be the one in the future. I guarantee you that. 3/6 won't assume those roles.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:18 PM
embracedbias

Forwards:
Tlusty - Savard - _______
Grabovski - Kadri - Kulemin
Stalberg - Bozak - ______
D. Mitchell - J. Mitchell - Orr

Possibilities: Hanson, Stefanovich

Defense:
Beauchemin - Schenn
Kaberle - Komisarek
Exelby - Oreskovic

Goalies
Gustavsson - _______

Something like that.

It would all depend on how good our players develop: Kadri/Tlusty/Kulemin/Grabo/Bozak/Stalberg/Mitchell/Mitchell/Schenn/Oreskovic/Gustavsson

Those are the players who hold our SC fate.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:19 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Forwards:
Tlusty - Savard - _______
Grabovski - Kadri - Kulemin
Stalberg - Bozak - ______
D. Mitchell - J. Mitchell - Orr
I guess we'd just have to agree to disagree then because in my opinion there is ZERO chance that's our lineup in 3-4 years. That team does not look like a Burke team, it's too soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef
Grabs wasn't resigned just to be traded.
He was resigned because he was an RFA that we weren't going to just let walk. Just because he was extended a contract doesn't make him untradeable. If Burke had the chance to trade him for a tougher more rugged player it'd be done in a heart beat IMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef
Lupul was unproven, McDonald was unproven, Getzlaf, Perry, Penner were all just kids. He got rid of Sykora, Ozolinzh, and Federov. Selanne was the only established scorer on the team along with Neidemeyer. He gaves the kids the chance to assume those roles.
So what you're saying is he got rid of all the soft Europeans except the truly elite talent and gave the chance to a bunch of young, tough, north american kids. I'm not trying to say he's racist or prejudice, or that if the player isn't born in North America then Burke doesn't like him etc. I believe that a player needs to be an elite talent (tlusty, kulemin and grabo do not make that cut) or they need to be tough. It doesn't mean he gets rid of those guys for nothing because they don't fit his mold, but in my opinion it does mean he shops them and brings in young players who do fit his mold.

Last edited by MuchoMacho: 09-05-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

So, no Europeans, is the gist of what I'm getting here.

If that were the case, I think we'd have seen them exit by now. Burke will build the team with the best group of forwards he can put together. Obviously those players will have to fit into the style of the team. But I don't think there's any reason to believe that most of those guys can't adapt. If they can't, then they'll be gone.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Chrass

Although I'm not a leafs fan, I have to say I actually like this thread (though I'd prefer to see it on my teams board). The positivity is, well, it speaks for itself. Although, personally I don't think Burke has clue how to build a successful team (and don't throw me Anaheim, because he didn't build it, he added a piece or two to an already well oiled machine), I still see the value of the thread. Good luck guys.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:06 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Although I'm not a leafs fan, I have to say I actually like this thread (though I'd prefer to see it on my teams board). The positivity is, well, it speaks for itself. Although, personally I don't think Burke has clue how to build a successful team (and don't throw me Anaheim, because he didn't build it, he added a piece or two to an already well oiled machine), I still see the value of the thread. Good luck guys.
Anaheim was a well oiled machine? That missed the playoffs? Funny how that works.

Ya, all he did was add their three top defensemen, and the coach. Damn we're stupid to think he can build us into a contender.

Yes, most of the credit should be given to Andy Murray. Because, well ****, look at the wonderful job he's done in Ottawa.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:09 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Anaheim was a well oiled machine? That missed the playoffs? Funny how that works.

Ya, all he did was add their three top defensemen, and the coach. Damn we're stupid to think he can build us into a contender.

Yes, most of the credit should be given to Andy Murray. Because, well ****, look at the wonderful job he's done in Ottawa.
I thought Andy Murray has done a great job. He lead St.Louis to the playoffs with an injury riddled team.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:17 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I thought Andy Murray has done a great job. He lead St.Louis to the playoffs with an injury riddled team.
Ha, good catch. I meant Daffy Duck, not the guy with no voice.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Ha, good catch. I meant Daffy Duck, not the guy with no voice.
Sorry you don't like my opinion or facts for that matter, but adding 3 players and a coach does not equal building a team. And, for the record, I was actually praising the thread, I wasn't being sarcastic, but congrats in making a positive thread negative.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Sorry you don't like my opinion or facts for that matter, but adding 3 players and a coach does not equal building a team. And, for the record, I was actually praising the thread, I wasn't being sarcastic, but congrats in making a positive thread negative.
No, you're right, adding 3 players (Pronger, Niedermayer to boot) and your own coach does not equal building a team.

But what Burke has illustrated so far that has been impressive is:

1. A Plan
2. A team philosophy
3. Not sacrificing future assets
3. The ability to attract highly touted free agents (Komisarek, Beauchemin, Gustavsson, Bozak, Hanson)

This is very possible, and so far has shown Burke's experiences in the past are coming through and it makes us feel he is "building" this team the right way.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:56 PM
BleedingBlueAndWhite

Send a message via MSN to BleedingBlueAndWhite
Forwards:
Kadri
Bozak
Hanson
Stajan
Kulemin
Grabovsk
Stalberg
Stefonavich

Defence:
Beauchemin
Schenn
Komisarek
Exelby
Oreskovic

Goaltenders:
Gustavsson

BleedingBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites House View Post
No, you're right, adding 3 players (Pronger, Niedermayer to boot) and your own coach does not equal building a team.

But what Burke has illustrated so far that has been impressive is:

1. A Plan
2. A team philosophy
3. Not sacrificing future assets
3. The ability to attract highly touted free agents (Komisarek, Beauchemin, Gustavsson, Bozak, Hanson)

This is very possible, and so far has shown Burke's experiences in the past are coming through and it makes us feel he is "building" this team the right way.

Sure, I can't disagree. Truth is nobody can really tell what's going to happen and which team is going to win on any given year. Luck and momentum swings seem to pave the way some years, while other years one team is just that much better than another (i.e. Ott vs Ahm or Car vs. Det).

Regardless, I just look forward to seeing a more balanced eastern conference and some more competition between the sens, leafs and canadians. The arguments of which team is better - well according to each respective fan base, they're all the better team, which says to me that this should be a fun year to watch them battle it out.

Old
09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Patrick96

Add Kovalchuk to that top line with Kadri
Seriously though, you left out Jiri Tlusty who could fill out our top 6. Stalberg, if not top 6 talent, rounds out your 3rd line. Jesse Blacker and Gunnarson both deserve some recognition for the bottom pairing on D.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Canad93

Depending on when we win the Stanley Cup, I'd say the closest thing to sure bets are Schenn, Tlusty, Kulemin, Stajan, and White and Komisarek, and depending on how they pan out, Stalberg, Bozak, Stefanovich and Gustavsson.

Hagman and Ponikarovsky could be kept around as 3rd liners at this point, as I can't see them producing enough at that time to break the top 6. That is unless we encounter cap problems. Colton Orr will probably be there, and maybe Beauchemin. He seems like one of those defencemen who can play for a long time. Hopefully playing with a better, more physical defense will allow Kaberle to return to his potential and be a premier puck mover. If he can do that, I could see him staying, but if not I don't think he'll be around much longer.
I'm hoping that by that time Gunnarsson will have come over, I see some good potential in him. Oreskovic also seems to be a Burke type of player if we've got an opening on defence.

I forgot about Mitchell, he seems like a Burke player. Hard working, physical and he seems to have some offensive potential. I think we'd be smart to keep him around in the top 9.

Mikhail Grabovsky is a player who I believe has great potential, and may show to be a good top 6 talent, but depending on the makeup on our team, and if he is effective on the wing or not, I think there is a good chance he won't fit our lines or style and Burke will trade him. He might be something we get a pretty good return on. I'm not one of the people who thinks that he's gone for sure because of his style, but I think if Burke can get an equal provider in another form Grabovsky will definitely be gone. This is of course if Grabovsky doesn't improve his all around play and evolve as a player, which I do see within the realm of reality.

I can't see a number of players, Exelby, Van Ryn, Blake, Stempniak, Frogren being kept around by that time, and if they are, we won't be winning the Cup likely.

Last edited by Canad93: 09-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Hurt

Phil Kessel.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:37 PM
HockeyAustralia

I can see Kadri being a playmaking winger

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
BleedingBlueAndWhite

Send a message via MSN to BleedingBlueAndWhite
also i'd like to add one more member to my team

Jason Allison

he will also be the captain, leading scorer (points/goals/assists)

and will also be awarded the most improved skater award.

BleedingBlueAndWhite

BleedingBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:33 AM
HariKari

Crosby

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Leafs4Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Crosby
????? I think we have a better chance of getting gretzkey

Leafs4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

I think the Leafs who will be on the Cup winning team that could be on the roster this season are:

Bozak
Tlusty
Stalberg
J. Mitchell
Kulemin
Kessel
Orr

I think a 2nd line of Tlusty-Bozak-Stalberg could be a great line in a couple of seasons, and would be a very good support to a top line of Kessel-Kadri-Kulemin. Both lines could have tremendous chemistry IMO, based on the way the players play the game. I'm not saying I think Kulemin would be the best player out of him and the 2nd line, but the chemistry would be different based on his play vs. Tlusty or Stalberg.

Schenn
Beauchemin
Komisarek
Kaberle

I included the obvious in Schenn, and then Beauch and Komisarek should still be on their first contracts when we're ready to contend (). Kaberle is still someone who would be able to lead the PP IMO, and I think that his chance to get a big payday of over 5.5 will be gone when he hits UFA, so he wouldn't be impossible to re-sign.

Gustavsson

Yeah, not a hard decision to say the Monster will be our #1 in a couple seasons time, so I think he'll be here for the long haul.

Lines:

Kulemin -- Kadri -- Kessel
Tlusty -- Bozak -- Stalberg
______ -- J. Mitchell -- ______
______ -- ______ -- Orr

Possibles: Stefanovich (move Kulemin to 3rd line), D. Mitchell, Hanson, Hayes, Ryan, Didomenico

Kaberle -- Komisarek
Beauchemin -- Schenn
______ -- ______

Possibles: Blacker, Oreskovic, Gunnarsson

Gustavsson
______

Possible: Reimer

So yeah, personally, of our prospects, I think the extra forwards would include Hanson, D. Mitchell, and Kenny Ryan with Hanson centering the 4th line. On D, I think the 3rd pairing could probably be Blacker-Oreskovic, and I do think that Reimer will be the back-up in a few seasons.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Ryan52

i think this thread is really stupid
so just because were attempting a rebuild, means were entitled to the cup in 5-6years? just because you rebuild doesnt mean you'll get the cup..

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:33 AM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
i think this thread is really stupid
so just because were attempting a rebuild, means were entitled to the cup in 5-6years? just because you rebuild doesnt mean you'll get the cup..
The internet is SERIOUS business.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote