HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Hinote

Old
09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Mr Scarface*

vCash: 500
We should get him.

Seems like we ain't gittin any Owen Nolans or Theoren Fleurys.... which surprises me.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
The thing with Cheechoo...if he gets hot and produces again, why trade him even?

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
The thing with Cheechoo...if he gets hot and produces again, why trade him even?
Exactly, although in the big picture they have succession planning to look at. If they want to change the character of makeup of the team, Cheech, Thornton and Marleau will all grow old at once. It would be nice to replace one with something younger, and in the big pixture we don't know if they want to keep Marleau or spend that money elsewhere. Would they pay him the same money and would he resign without the NT or would they get the Bouwmeester treatment?

A productive Cheechoo would be a reason to head into this playoff with no further changes because a hot goalie and a late season rental might put them over the top. If they aren't in love with Marleau and Cheech is scoring they might unload him now because they could get three decent players for less than what he is costing. I am not saying it's their plan, but if other players are having big years it make Patty less of a critical cog.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Mr Scarface*

Yep, Cheechoo should not be traded. He is a warrior, a native one. Maybe our best home game player. I see him as a Thug.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Every vet they bring in reduces the chance of a minor leaguer wasting a roster spot. The extra competition can only help, as long as they are lucky enough to select the best ones. And more cheap guys in the system gives insurance that they can keep roster spots filled with limited cap space. Remember the first thing they need to accomplish is to start the season with a group of guys that can play in this league aside from their high end core talent. They have reached that without exceeding the cap or dealing Marleau or Cheech.

I don't think they are done making moves but right now they don't have a gun to their heads like some clubs and can go well into the season looking for the right deal to improve the club. I still think Cheech is gone but if he starts the season hot and they think the 06-07 guy is back their outlook and options are suddenly much different.

I am not a big Hinote fan but he isn't that old and has never played a game in the minors. If he can still bring his Colorado best they will be happy they brought him in. A 15 point year isn't much but when a guy does it with 10 minutes of icetime and plays well without the puck it is pretty solid production.
He played with the Hershey Bears from '97 to '00...

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:05 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
He played with the Hershey Bears from '97 to '00...
Yes. I probably looked at his IHDB page four or five times before I made that post too
But the point is he has been in the NHL continuously for many years. Even if you don't know the player, you know there is a difference between the guys who are constantly up and down and the ones that are career NHLers. I hope he has more left than he showed last year.
He was injured a lot starting in early October rather than a healthy scratch so I think he never got going. He isn't really a 1 goal guy.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote