HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Hockey Coverage in Arizona.

Old
09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

vCash: 500
Coyotes Hockey Coverage in Arizona.

I'd like to have a thread dedicated to the woeful media coverage of the Coyotes.

We spend so much time on this site posting our opinions, why not spend a little time on the various local sites which give the Coyotes 1% of their attention and focus the rest on the other sports?

I just got done reading 2 articles on AZCentral about some idiot college football players, and posted the following comments about those articles.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coll...egonpunch.html

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaolaBoivin/62006

Quote:
What a great and insightful article.

It's too bad the hack media doesn't care to write about sports, but focuses their time and efforts on publicizing the athletes who take away from their sports instead of the athletes who play sports the way they are supposed to be played.

Another one of the reasons the Coyotes don't get coverage. A) because NHL athletes rarely act like idiots, and unfortunately when they do, that's the only time hockey gets any coverage; B) There's no time to write about hockey because of all the coverage the idiots in Football, Baseball, and Basketball demand of the hack media's time; C) society eats up this kind of trash...and 99% of sports media writer's don't have the ethics needed to avoid the temptation to feed the trash of society.

All sports team in the valley, at different times, have sucked as bad as the Coyotes have the last 5 years, but they remain relevant during those times because the athletes in those sports prove time after time they are willing to take illegal drugs, use performance-enhancing drugs, act like prima-donna's in practice and on the playing field, cheat on their wives, and run around like gun-toting gangsters.

Last edited by Devils Advocate: 09-04-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yeah, it sucks. Bad.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

The Phoenix media has sucked for so dang long, they make the Maple Leafs look competent.

I'm older than quite a lot of you and ever since I first moved here when I was six the Phoenix media has been a joke.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
The Phoenix media has sucked for so dang long, they make the Maple Leafs look competent.

I'm older than quite a lot of you and ever since I first moved here when I was six the Phoenix media has been a joke.
I'm an Arizona native zyllyx and my parents, to this day, refuse to read the AZ Republic because they liken it to a high school newspaper; nothing but gossip and two bit journalism. They go out at 6am every Sunday to pick up a copy of the NY Times or USA Today and supplement it with a copy of the Wall Street Journal. I haven't seen a copy of the Republic in my house since I was about 4 or 5.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Moe Mantha

Here's the incident that doesn't make Phoenix look too good in the eyes of people who don't think the team deserves to be there:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/arti...tman-balsillie

While Balsillie and Bettman are household names in Canada they had some trouble being recognized by some members of the U.S. media.

When Bettman came out of the courthouse for a scrum, one radio reporter asked: "Who are you?"

"I am Gary Bettman," he replied with a smile. "And who are you?"

When Balsillie appeared, a TV cameraman shouted "Please identify yourself."

Balsillie ignored him.

Seriously? Way to do even the bare minimum amount of homework for a story you're covering!

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
Seriously? Way to do even the bare minimum amount of homework for a story you're covering!
My guess is that the news crews that were there were NOT from the sports desk.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Moe Mantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
My guess is that the news crews that were there were NOT from the sports desk.
Which I would quickly label as another problem with Phoenix media!

I kid. I've really got no right to comment, since I've never been to Phoenix. Still, the "please identify yourself" incident doesn't do them any favours!

I've got to admit, I liked Bettman's response!

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

It's great we all agree the media sucks. It would be even nicer to see some examples of messages posted on blogs/websites or emails to local radio/tv/etc media personalities letting them know we're not happy about it and want more.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
AZCOYOT

Sports media is the worst of the worst. I get informed online

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:17 PM
zz

Complaining about local media is pointless. There's just no money here. Sure, Phoenix metro is a large market... for a city. Bu the state of AZ? 6.5 M people is pretty damn small for a newspaper, TV channel or radio station. No wonder local media coverage is so pathetic.

When your reporters make $15/hr, you get what you pay for.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
It's great we all agree the media sucks. It would be even nicer to see some examples of messages posted on blogs/websites or emails to local radio/tv/etc media personalities letting them know we're not happy about it and want more.
That won't get you anywhere. You have to go higher than that. The folks that appear on the air and in print are generally powerless. They just write/report/broadcast what is asked of them.

Go to the editors and radio/TV producers to actually have an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Complaining about local media is pointless. There's just no money here. Sure, Phoenix metro is a large market... for a city. Bu the state of AZ? 6.5 M people is pretty damn small for a newspaper, TV channel or radio station. No wonder local media coverage is so pathetic.

When your reporters make $15/hr, you get what you pay for.
When I was a newpaper hack, I was paid a small salary plus per word of anything that I had published. An hourly wage simply didn't exist for us that didn't have scheduled hours.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote