HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

30 Teams In 30 Days

Old
09-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

vCash: 500
30 Teams In 30 Days

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289554

Dear Scott Cullen,

I'd like to say thanks for absolutely nothing. You've had all offseason to prepare for you first article and it appears you've done nothing but read the TSN transactions for the Phoenix Coyotes. You mention the only player that everyone knows is a Coyote as the key player to watch, and say 4 2nd-year players and 1 third year player will be counted on heavily, when 1 (Porter) will most likely spend the majority of the year in the AHL, 1 (Turris) is questionable to play in the NHL, 2 (Tikh & Bods) will be relied on to hopefully not regress, and 1 (Mueller) will be asked to rebound to his good rookie numbers. It's too bad you didn't do any research whatsoever on what the teams GM had to say during the offseason.

My Player to watch would be Hanzal, who improved on his ability to play against the top Centers and should have added confidence & bulk which could result in an improvement in his offensive production. The players the Coyotes are really relying on are Lombardi, Upshall, & Vrbata to provide the secondary scoring which will take the pressure of the young players from feeling like they have to score every game. The other player they'll be relying on, who wasn't even mentioned, is Bryz. How can you write an article about a hockey team without even mentioning their #1 goalie.

I think everyone has a good idea what Doan is going to do.

I know I'm way out of line thinking that Cullen might have addressed why the Coyotes added players like Fiddler & Korpikoski. Everyone knows face-offs and the PK are totally overrated.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:28 AM
indczn

If only last time we criticized him, he didnt end up being right

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
If only last time we criticized him, he didnt end up being right
well, I definitely have some egg on my face because it looks like he was only responsible for the fantasy portion as the article says by TSN staff....which actually makes the whole writing staff look bad.

As far as the last time I criticized him, I remember I criticized him for moving the Kings up ahead of the Coyotes because Jamie Quick came back from injury even though the Coyotes had fared well against a tough week of opponents...and I'm pretty sure the Kings finished below the Coyotes in the standings...by a pretty big margin (thanks Tikh).

To be honest instead of him saying Mueller will get ample opportunity in this lineup if he rebounds..my take would be that he'll risk losing the opportunities he got the last 2 years to Upshall, Lombardi, & Vrbata if he doesn't rebound.

It's a terrible article with little or no research....but then again what am I expecting

I'll give Cullen credit for better analysis in the expanded fantasy article:
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=289551

Old
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
It's a terrible article with little or no research....but then again what am I expecting
I explain why/how the article came to be in my GMDM article.

Old
09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
ducky

It may be hard for this team to underacheive this year.

It seems most pundits expect the Yotes to fail miserably. Too much youth. Too much controversy with the legal battles/bankruptcy etc. Poor defense (which I think is vastly under rated. Aucoin, Vandermeer and Lepisto were solid additions). Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Anything better than bottom 3 in the league will be considered a surprise by many.

Here's hoping the team can rally together, focus on hockey (ignoring the crap about the franchise) and put together a solid year. 3rd year break outs for Mueller, Hanzal and Yandal are key in my opinion.

Also - here's hoping GMDM can still pull off a solid trade landing the Yotes a top 6 forward.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
It seems most pundits expect the Yotes to fail miserably. Too much youth. Too much controversy with the legal battles/bankruptcy etc. Poor defense (which I think is vastly under rated. Aucoin, Vandermeer and Lepisto were solid additions). Yadda Yadda Yadda.
Yeah. I think Aucoin is essentially equal to Morris, at least just for the one season. They bring different things to the table, but I'd say they are about equal in terms of total value to the team. I certainly wouldn't say we've downgraded, there. I think Vandermeer is probably an upgrade on Klee. I think, in a crunch, he's capable of playing tougher minutes, if he has to. Plus, he's just nastier. I don't see anyway that Lepisto isn't an upgrade on Hale, considering Hale is pretty much the worst defenseman in the league. The biggest change for me, though, is I think this year's version of Yandle will be a big step up from last year's version. That's huge.

Aucoin = Morris
09/10 Yandle > 08/09 Yandle
Vandermeer > Klee
Lepisto > Hale

Also, I think Bryzgalov will be better, and more consistant. Last year was his first full year as a starter. Now that he's got that experience under his belt, he should be more prepared for what it takes. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who can't hack it. Hopefully Grant Fuhr goes bye-bye.

The real mystery in this is the forward group. Overall, the chemistry should be better. It is definitely a more experienced bunch, as well. Who knows how it will come together?

Coaching is our obvious achilles heel. That and likely ownership distractions. We'll see what happens with all of that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

There is no way were going to be worse than the Avalanche, even with TGO behind the bench. I even think TGO will improve as a coach, the team will improve. We have addition by subtraction in the Verby deal (we all unanimously agree on that), I almost think Acoin is an upgrade to DeMo, better shot and maybe more offensive output that DeMo, who was better known for earlier in his career. Lespo IDK, VanDermeer is that Boynton type of player that I felt we were desperately missing last year. You want to believe Muells will bounce back and last year was just the dreaded sophomore slump, of course does that mean out sophomores, who were rookies last year, fall victim to the same troubles? So no way we are 30th in the league when the Islanders and Aves are a mess.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
There is no way were going to be worse than the Avalanche, even with TGO behind the bench. I even think TGO will improve as a coach, the team will improve. We have addition by subtraction in the Verby deal (we all unanimously agree on that), I almost think Acoin is an upgrade to DeMo, better shot and maybe more offensive output that DeMo, who was better known for earlier in his career. Lespo IDK, VanDermeer is that Boynton type of player that I felt we were desperately missing last year. You want to believe Muells will bounce back and last year was just the dreaded sophomore slump, of course does that mean out sophomores, who were rookies last year, fall victim to the same troubles? So no way we are 30th in the league when the Islanders and Aves are a mess.
I agree! Once again we came across another Anti-Phoenix article.
The Pundits are ranking the Isles and the Avs higher because of who they drafted this off season even though those 2 teams are in a rebuilding stage and were in a full build stage.
Both teams saw a drop in attendace and if the Avs are not careful they could find themselves in a position like the Isles or Coyotes.

I still maintain the belief to this day that is Quebec moved to Phoenix and Winnipeg moved to Denver with the same exact team history then Phoenix would be fine and Colorado would be in the position the Coyotes in now.

Yet we wouldn't be hearing talks about relocation in Denver because they are not a sunbelt team and you get the picture!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
There is no way were going to be worse than the Avalanche
Agreed. Their problems run much deeper than just player personell.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:58 AM
PhoPhan

Who has problems that run deeper than the Coyotes?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
A couple of months ago I'd have said GM.

Now I got nothing.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
The Avs. Their franchise is just messed up from top to bottom with the Bolts in a close second.

Old
09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
PhoPhan

And the Coyotes franchise isn't?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Hey it's not a problem not knowing who your owner or coach is. There's still a full week or so until camp.

Old
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
And the Coyotes franchise isn't?
IMO the Coyote franchise is in great shape...the best shape since it arrived in the valley.

By far the best GM the team has had...maybe ever including the Winnipeg days...but definitely in the Arizona years. The best pool of prospects, the best pool of young players on the NHL roster, and veterans a step below the best they've had (Doan, Jovo, Michalek, Bryz vs Tkachuk, Roenick, Teppo, Khabi).

I think the next 20 years look extremely bright for the franchise which is why I'm going to be really pissed if I lose my team.

the ownership situation appears dismal. The economy is dismal...but I don't think the mgmt/franchise should take the heat for things out of their control.

Old
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
The Avs. Their franchise is just messed up from top to bottom with the Bolts in a close second.
The Bolts? As in the Lighting? What are you smoking? They have a fantastic head coach in Rick Tocchet a top six forward group that contains Alex Tanguay, Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, Ryan Malone, and Steve Stamkos. Their D has Victor Hedman, Matthias Ohlund, Andrej Meszaros, and Paul Ranger. Not great but not awful. Goaltending is a bit of a question mark in Mike Smith but they seem to have a solid future at the position with Riku Helenius and Dustin Tokarski. They are a much, much better team, on paper, than the Coyotes. Most glaringly when you look at Tocchet versus Gretzky.

Old
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Hey it's not a problem not knowing who your owner or coach is. There's still a full week or so until camp.
Camp starts on Monday for rookies.

Old
09-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Camp starts on Monday for rookies.
Well that's different then. This team is in trouble.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:20 PM
yakko

This season is is going to be a wild ride. Perhaps we ought to have a height requirement for getting on, and warnings about pregnant women and such?

Guests must be at least 54" tall to ride. Expectant moms are not permitted to ride. There is a minimum age requirement of 10 years old.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
This season is is going to be a wild ride. Perhaps we ought to have a height requirement for getting on, and warnings about pregnant women and such?

Guests must be at least 54" tall to ride. Expectant moms are not permitted to ride. There is a minimum age requirement of 10 years old.
At this point, the team can't really be picky about its fans. I say bring on the pregnant women, babies & asthmatics. Just have them sign a waiver. Or add them to the list of unsecured creditors if something goes wrong.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
The Bolts? As in the Lighting? What are you smoking? They have a fantastic head coach in Rick Tocchet a top six forward group that contains Alex Tanguay, Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, Ryan Malone, and Steve Stamkos. Their D has Victor Hedman, Matthias Ohlund, Andrej Meszaros, and Paul Ranger. Not great but not awful. Goaltending is a bit of a question mark in Mike Smith but they seem to have a solid future at the position with Riku Helenius and Dustin Tokarski. They are a much, much better team, on paper, than the Coyotes. Most glaringly when you look at Tocchet versus Gretzky.
He was obviously referring to their ownership problems and the whole "one owner getting caught swiping money from Bear Mountain" deal. It is still less of a circus than the Coyotes but it isn't like it is a completely stable franchise either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmxktkUlxTE

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Olhund is past is prime and gets beat on a regular basis. The Paperboy has yet to deliver in Tampa Bay. They were a better team on paper last season and look what happened. My point is that as soon as the ownership stops futzing with the team, then they will be better. Don't be suprised if you see a repeat of last season with the Bolts.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Wasn't sure if this deserved its own thread, but it's good to see Z get some credit for once.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It's interesting to me that his wife is Bosnian and they met in Houston. Bosnian and Czech romance in Texas! HAHA! Also, I didn't know that Michalek and Vrbata were teammates in the QMJHL, nor did I know how highly he was ranked pre-draft. Strange that he was ranked 90th overall amongst all NA skaters, and nobody took him. We're talking a nine round draft, back then. Especially considering that he's turned out to be easily better than all but five to ten guys taken in that entire draft. Better than 283 to 288ish players that teams decided to pick.

Minnesota got ten games and one assist out of Erik Westrum, who is now playing in a Swiss league. Dustin Wood has never skated a shift in the NHL, and is now playing in Germany.

I guess Barnett wasn't all bad.