HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Picard Re-Upped - one year, two-way, $865K NHL unknown AHL

Old
09-05-2009, 02:48 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
I think Alex is a good player and he can play in a higher line than the fourth. I would like to see the roster:

Huselius - Brassard - Nash
Filatov - Vermette - Voráček
Picard - Pahlsson - Umberger
Torres - Murray - Dorsett
Boll

and Modin with Chimera trade.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:03 AM
warlockmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but isn't the NHL portion a tad high for AP -- by as much as $300K perhaps -- even if it is a two way contract? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can recall him being on waivers last season, available to any team willing to stake claim, no? Appreciate any feedback.
Most likely to protect him from being claimed off waivers if sent to the Crunch where he most likely will be because of the log jam of left wingers. If he is sent to the Crunch he will most likely get the C on his jersey! I think he should be up with Cbus but where does he play if multiple players are not traded away?

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I think Alex is a good player and he can play in a higher line than the fourth. I would like to see the roster:

Huselius - Brassard - Nash
Filatov - Vermette - Voráček
Picard - Pahlsson - Umberger
Torres - Murray - Dorsett
Boll

and Modin with Chimera trade.
I think this is a little idealistic. I think we're stuck with Modin. He has a NTC, and I don't think anyone is going to pick up a player making over three million, injury prone and scoring ten goals.

Chimera I can see being moved if we have any takers. Perhaps Chimera with player X post-camp. However, I think Chimera can contribute more than for that which he's given credit. He played great at the beginning of the season last year until he had uncharacteristic injuries which were falsely diagnosed. If he comes back and plays the year like he started out last season, then I think he could break twenty goals.

And with Torres allegedly having a fantastic camp and supposedly supposed to increase his preformance over last due to injury recovery, I would highly doubt that Picard gets the nod over him unless Picard takes his scoring touch to this year and it translates to the NHL. I like Picard, but I find all that unlikely. Maybe he'll eventually steal a spot after a call-up when inevitable injuries occur.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:35 AM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I think this is a little idealistic. I think we're stuck with Modin. He has a NTC, and I don't think anyone is going to pick up a player making over three million, injury prone and scoring ten goals.

Chimera I can see being moved if we have any takers. Perhaps Chimera with player X post-camp. However, I think Chimera can contribute more than for that which he's given credit. He played great at the beginning of the season last year until he had uncharacteristic injuries which were falsely diagnosed. If he comes back and plays the year like he started out last season, then I think he could break twenty goals.

And with Torres allegedly having a fantastic camp and supposedly supposed to increase his preformance over last due to injury recovery, I would highly doubt that Picard gets the nod over him unless Picard takes his scoring touch to this year and it translates to the NHL. I like Picard, but I find all that unlikely. Maybe he'll eventually steal a spot after a call-up when inevitable injuries occur.
Modin and Chimera cost us about 5 mil and to not play them would be financially detrimental. I think Picard becomes the odd man out if only because of his salary and his ability to play in the 'Cuse. He will be a needed first callup though. Chimera may still have some trade value before the season, but it might be a third line d man or a pick. Howson's options with Modin are to buy him out (too expensive), ride him until injury occurs or he pleasantly surprises at which time he may be an asset to our team as a contributor or serve as a deadline trade should we decide to acquire more in February.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:10 AM
gocbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
... Not to mention Picard showed some signs of NHL spunk last season.. In my opinion of course.
He did?

Does Picard have dirt on Nash or something?

Well, I guess he did double his career NHL point total in just one year last year. (One point in previous 3 years matched last year with one more!)

And he matched a career high in points last year despite playing in only 15 games. (one...and one again).

We actually have an opportunity this year to have most of the 4th line able to have 15 - 20 point seasons as individuals - without Picard in the mix.

I am all for working to find a spot for someone, but why do we work so hard to find a home for Pic?

I hope Picard emerges into a 30 - 40 point / year guy, but ...???

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:22 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
He did?

Does Picard have dirt on Nash or something?

Well, I guess he did double his career NHL point total in just one year last year. (One point in previous 3 years matched last year with one more!)

And he matched a career high in points last year despite playing in only 15 games. (one...and one again).

We actually have an opportunity this year to have most of the 4th line able to have 15 - 20 point seasons as individuals - without Picard in the mix.

I am all for working to find a spot for someone, but why do we work so hard to find a home for Pic?

I hope Picard emerges into a 30 - 40 point / year guy, but ...???
I agree with Robert. He DID show SOME signs of NHL spunk with his AHL performance. That is exactly why those guys in charge gave him the contract and the chance to find his spot.

Well deserved additional chance in my opinion.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:53 AM
gocbj

With time and planning, we now have some experienced depth. Finally.

To me, only a guy like Filatov "gets" a chance. Injuries will happen. Until such time, you have to put your 12 best players on the ice for game one.

Murray, Dorsett (or Boll) and Picard are going to have to wait on an injury.

That's 3 nice and experienced replacements when injuries hit. Unless we get value, I don't want to trade Chimera or Modin if I have to replace them with Boll and Picard.

Chimera and Modin will score 20 more total goals than Picard and Boll.

Including OT, regular one-goal losses, and two-goal losses which are really empty-netters, there are about 15 - 20 one goal losses in a season. Turn some of those into OT, and some into wins, and pick up another 10 points. The difference between being 10th in the conference and 6th is often winning 5 or 6 more games.

Goals win games. Give me 20 more goals, and the math says you will win 5 or 6 more games.

Modin and Chimera have a better shot at combining for 10 goals in the first 20 games than any other combination.

Picard and Murray and Dorsett might all deserve a chance, but there is just no room, yet.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote