HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

OK, I wanna do it!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2009, 10:33 AM
  #1
VickiUKHockeyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
OK, I wanna do it!

I want to start playing hockey. I think roller is going to be easier because my city has no local ice rink and unfortunately I don't drive or know any friends who'd want to play.

So I want to either look into setting up a roller hockey rec team or joining one in my area.

But, the reason I don't drive is severe visual impairment. I am very short sighted and have limited peripheral vision. So this makes this sort of thing all the more difficult!

So, how do I go about finding a space to play and getting some people to come for a taster?

How much am I going to need to spend to get kitted out (I'm a UK student, so value = key).

What are the things I'll need?

Does anyone know of any leagues/teams in Staffordshire?

Anyone with a sight problem play and want to encourage me?

VickiUKHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
  #2
raganblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
for start-up costs, assuming you have nothing and you are a novice, will cost about 500USD/600CAN/ so $300? Pounds or Euro whatever you guys are on.

If you are serious, spend half of the 300 pounds on skates. Spend 80 pounds on helmet/cage combo, than for the remaining 70-80 pounds, buy elbow protectors, a cup, shin guards and inline pants. Each should be about 20 pounds, but you could spend WAY more on them if you really wanted to.

As to get people interested, talk to wherever you'd buy your skates at, put up flyers at school, talk to people at the rink, and try to start something.

As for your bad eyes, that isn't that uncommon. If i take my contacts out I can't see anything from a distance, after about arms length everything is blury. Thank god i have contacts, if i didnt i never would have been good at hockey.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
  #3
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
for start-up costs, assuming you have nothing and you are a novice, will cost about 500USD/600CAN/ so $300? Pounds or Euro whatever you guys are on.
This COULD be a little misleading. For the most part, prices on goods in the UK have the same numeric value as that in Canada but they are not equivalent after you do the currency conversion. I don't know about hockey gear specifically, but when buying a guitar in the UK, if it was 1000$ in Canada, it is still 1000 quid in the UK (2000 CDN). I found this for MOST items, only rarely was the cost equivalent. So don't be surprised if you have to spend 500 or 600 quid on gear.

My advice would be to shop around online, even on north american hockey gear sites and see what their shipping terms are, you might end up being able to get things cheaper that way.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:18 PM
  #4
raganblink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
This COULD be a little misleading. For the most part, prices on goods in the UK have the same numeric value as that in Canada but they are not equivalent after you do the currency conversion. I don't know about hockey gear specifically, but when buying a guitar in the UK, if it was 1000$ in Canada, it is still 1000 quid in the UK (2000 CDN). I found this for MOST items, only rarely was the cost equivalent. So don't be surprised if you have to spend 500 or 600 quid on gear.

My advice would be to shop around online, even on north american hockey gear sites and see what their shipping terms are, you might end up being able to get things cheaper that way.
oh really wow. i knew stuff would be a little more expensive but not that much more expensive.

now i know why europeans come here and buy like 50 grand worth of **** and ship back to their shops.. so much cheaper.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
  #5
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Now if you could somehow manage to work in the UK, earning your salary in pounds, and still be able to live in North America, then you really got something going.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:33 PM
  #6
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiUKHockeyFan View Post
I want to start playing hockey. I think roller is going to be easier because my city has no local ice rink and unfortunately I don't drive or know any friends who'd want to play.

So I want to either look into setting up a roller hockey rec team or joining one in my area.

But, the reason I don't drive is severe visual impairment. I am very short sighted and have limited peripheral vision. So this makes this sort of thing all the more difficult!

So, how do I go about finding a space to play and getting some people to come for a taster?

How much am I going to need to spend to get kitted out (I'm a UK student, so value = key).

What are the things I'll need?

Does anyone know of any leagues/teams in Staffordshire?

Anyone with a sight problem play and want to encourage me?
Visually impaired and you want to play roller hockey huh? Awesome! get out there and have fun .... make sure in your money investment for gear you include full face protection since you are visually impaired it would be the safest thing to get because your reaction time would be reduced to protect yourself i would think.

I'm not sure if this helps but I wear roller hockey pants over a protective hockey pant girdle. The roller hockey pants are pretty cheap sometimes especially through clearance websites like Hockey World http://www.hockeyworld.com/catHome.i...op=2&catID=250

I play on ice with stuff like that but they are very comfortable and allow great unrestricted movement and as you can see they are inexpensive.

I've purchased from this website before and they are good and ship fast. Others here have as well for ice hockey gear or whatever.

Good luck and let us know what comes of your roller hockey adventure.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
  #7
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiUKHockeyFan View Post
What are the things I'll need?
Absolutely must have (all prices American):

Skates (at least $50, up to $500)
Shin Pads (at least $30, up to $100)
Stick (at least $10, up to $100 for roller)
Gloves (at least $30, up to $100)

Depending on what kind of game you find you might also need pants, helmet and elbow pads.

I'd start by trying to find a pickup game where you can get a lot of free playing time. That's how I got started 2.5 years ago, and now I'm pretty good.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
  #8
RangersAM99
Registered User
 
RangersAM99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
i recommend getting a two piece hockey stick so you can just change the blade when it wears down

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.