HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado and Toronto.

Old
09-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Cleatus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Colorado and Toronto.

To Colorado: Tomas Kaberle, Vesa Toskala, and Nikolai Kulemin.
To Toronto: Wojtek Wolski, Peter Budaj, a 2011 2nd round draft pick, and a 2010 3rd round draft pick.

Colorado gets a goalie who just came off a bad year, but surgery has likely corrected his groin injury, and he's far better than Budaj. Toskala and Anderson could make a good 1-2 punch in net. Colorado also gets a good puck-mover in Kaberle, and a promising young winger in Kulemin.

Toronto gets Wolski and a 3rd round draft pick. I'd move Wolski to center for a whole season and see how he does there. He supposedly likes center more than wing, and it better suits his puck-possession style of play. I believe with good wingers, he could produce good numbers, but we'll have to wait until we obtain good wingers (maybe Kessel will be one of them ).

Last edited by Cleatus: 09-06-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Dark Knight
18 Wheeler Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
To Toronto: Wojtek Wolski, Peter Budaj, and a 2010 3rd round draft pick.

Colorado gets a goalie who just came off a bad year, but surgery has likely corrected his groin injury, and he's far better than Budaj. Toskala and Anderson could make a good 1-2 punch in net. Colorado also gets a good puck-mover in Kaberle, and a promising young winger in Kulemin.

Toronto gets Wolski and a 3rd round draft pick. I'd move Wolski to center for a whole season and see how he does there. He supposedly likes center more than wing, and it better suits his puck-possession style of play. I believe with good wingers, he could produce good numbers, but we'll have to wait until we obtain good wingers (maybe Kessel will be one of them ).
Pass from Toronto's point of view.

I love Kaberle, and Kulemin has pretty big upside. Toskala can garner a return of his own around the deadline if he has a good season, which I'm confident he will, in front of a massively improved defense.

09-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Number13

Yup, massive overpayment by Toronto. Wolski needs to establish himself before he gets that kind of return, or even close to it.

Number13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:26 AM
PeterTheGreat

Interesting, but the Avs already have 8 NHL defenceman under contract, we'd have to send at least 1 back.

Im not too keen on giving up Wolski, and Kaberle for a re-building team seems kind of useless.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:26 AM
shadow1

Okay, the value is clearly there for Colorado. But from their stand point, they're taking wayyyyy too much salary (so much that they aren't under the cap), and they already have 8 defenseman to fill 6 spots.

And I don't think either Anderson or Toskala plan on being the back-up next year.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:27 AM
BigEasyBlues

So Toronto trades you a top pairing D-man, and a promising winger for wolski and a 3rd rounder, plus a swap or backups? Sorry man, Toronto just doesn't get enough in return. Wolski and a 3rd won't land kaberle, and you make them throw in a prospect too?

BigEasyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:29 AM
PeterTheGreat

Value wise it sucks for Toronto. Player wise it doesn't really help Colorado's rebuilding efforts, plus it adds a ton of salary.

This trade is bad all around.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Cleatus

Added a 2011 2nd round draft pick from Colorado.

Old
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

if i am not mistaken colorado wants to shed salary and go into full-rebuild mode.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
if i am not mistaken colorado wants to shed salary and go into full-rebuild mode.
Wolski will likely ask for 3M+ when he hits RFA. Peter Budaj comes in with a 1.25M cap-hit. Colarado takes on about 5M in cap-hit, but they're currently at around 45M in the cap department, so they're safe to take on a bit more. They can also move a defenseman to make more room.

Old
09-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Dark Knight
18 Wheeler Commander

Quote:
Added a 2011 2nd round draft pick from Colorado.
It still doesn't work out.

Toronto values Kaberle pretty highly, at least fans who know what they're talking about do. PP QB who are also among your top 2 defensemen are hard to come by.

I'd also rather keep Kulemin as he HAS the upside like Wolski does.

Toronto doesn't benefit from this deal in any way possible. Cap space is not a concern for us as we have over 13 million coming off the books next year.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:29 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Value wise it sucks for Toronto. Player wise it doesn't really help Colorado's rebuilding efforts, plus it adds a ton of salary.

This trade is bad all around.
ding ding ding! no from CO.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:41 PM
btyahi

Awful, awful trade that Toronto would never do on their end.

Lets recap: You want to give up a starting NHL goalie that will have a bounce-back year, a young, up-and-coming prospect in Kulemin, and 1 of the best puck moving defenceman in the league, for a back-up goaltender in one of the leagues worst goaltending tandoms last year, a 2nd player that ONLY cracked 50 points because he was playing a full season on a line with Joe Sakic, a 2nd and a 3rd?? Honestly?

Aside from what I said above, who would be the 2 goalies for the Leafs if this trade went through? Budaj and Gustavsson? And just because we have excess of defencemen doesn't mean we should give them away...

It seems like you wanted to fix every problem with the Leafs in one trade. Drop a d-man, get draft picks, and I THINK you were trying to get a top-6 forward and shore up goaltending, but that was definitely a swing and a miss. Please think about what this trade would actual MEAN, and not just base them solely on what a teams needs or wants are.

Awful.

btyahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Sitch

Quote:
To Toronto: Wojtek Wolski, Peter Budaj, a 2011 2nd round draft pick, and a 2010 3rd round draft pick.

Neither team would do this. The Avs don't want Kaberle or Toskala. Neither help with the rebuild, and I think management is banking on Anderson continuing his last season numbers and Budaj stepping up as back-up. Kulemin, I dont know much about. Toronto is also in a position where they may be pushing for that 8th spot in the East, so they won't trade away Kaberle and Toskala, especially when Gustavvson doesn't have any experience.

So, in conclusion, bad proposal.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Ace88*

absolutely and utterly without a doubt a gawd-awful proposal. Put the tylenol 3s down man.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Sitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyahi View Post
a 2nd player that ONLY cracked 50 points because he was playing a full season on a line with Joe Sakic
That was also his first full season in the NHL..... This season he got 42 points without Sakic and Stastny, and after switching to a position he hasnt played at the NHL level. Wolski will be a good top-6 forward, and maybe even a 1st-liner at some point.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Dark Knight
18 Wheeler Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey22rws View Post
That was also his first full season in the NHL..... This season he got 42 points without Sakic and Stastny, and after switching to a position he hasnt played at the NHL level. Wolski will be a good top-6 forward, and maybe even a 1st-liner at some point.
He was a monster in Brampton. It wont be far fetched to think that he'll become a reliable top 6 forward one day, consistently.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 02:24 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
He was a monster in Brampton. It wont be far fetched to think that he'll become a reliable top 6 forward one day, consistently.
plus he's the closest thing you'll have to a guaranteed goal on the shootout

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You're a leafs fan, why would you do this trade ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Overpayment by Toronto. If you look at Toskala and Kaberle's trade worth separately (I'm not too big on Kulemin though), their sum far exceeds the return that's in this trade.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Kritty

I can't believe how many Leaf fans want to deal Toskala. It really is a headscratcher. What has Gustavsson proved outside of this past season in Sweden? Exactly, not much. Toskala will not be the goalie you saw last year. He's too good for that to happen again. He is a solid #1 and with the defensive moves the Leafs made he should show that. Any Leaf fan that wants to rely on Gustavsson to be the saviour before he's even proven anything is in for another long season.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote