HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Panthers - Blackhawks

Old
09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Laoghaire

vCash: 500
Panthers - Blackhawks

To

Brian Campbell

To

Rostislav Olesz

Campbell might actually be worth his contract on sometimes where Olesz will probably never be worth that inexplicable contract.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Zim

Wouldn't do it this year since the Hawks don't have any cap problems and this severely weakens the team. However, i would do it next year.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:25 AM
salty justice

Olesz might be the only player making more per point than Campbell but I'd do this. (I'm talking about guys paid to put up points so Regehr doesnt count)

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Olesz might be the only player making more per point than Campbell but I'd do this. (I'm talking about guys paid to put up points so Regehr doesnt count)
And suiting up for the Wolf Pack tonight, number 6, WAAAAAADE REDDENNN! ...Gomez was pretty close last year as well. .66 more, 6 more points.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

does Florida have a self-imposed cap, or am i mistaken?

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Olesz received that contract after he had a great end to the 08 season. It hurts because his point production doesn't back up the dollar amount. It was given mostly on potential. If he can stay healthy and get on a roll again that got him that contract. He could/would/will be worth it. Lot of "if" there though. There is no doubting that kid's skill set though.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
ShootIt

Not going to happen.

Self imposed cap, Cohen not wanting to spend any dough, team might be sold etc.

Besides even if they were to be sold I doubt the new owner(s) would want to take that contract.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
We have absolutely no need/place for Olesz, but a thousand times yes. Use the cap space to sign Seidenberg and we've got some flexibility to bring in more help at the deadline.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
To

Brian Campbell

To

Rostislav Olesz

Campbell might actually be worth his contract on sometimes where Olesz will probably never be worth that inexplicable contract.
Campbell can never live up to that contract. He's good but not 7 million good for 7 years. Florida is fine if Olesz doesn't play up to his contract.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Campbell can never live up to that contract. He's good but not 7 million good for 7 years. Florida is fine if Olesz doesn't play up to his contract.
I think that Campbell can live up to 80% of his contract, which would mean that he's overpaid by about $1.5M. Compare that to Olesz? How is FLA fine if Olesz doesn't play up to his contract? You have a team on a budget that is wasting $3.1M.

I think that Olesz could very well still rebound and turn into a decent NHL'er. I just think this comparison is a lot closer than you're giving it credit for, which the Hawks could compensate for by including a good prospect (Skille or Makarov) or pick to make up the difference.

Still not sure if FLA would do it as they'd have a lot of $'s tied up in the blueline, but McCabe's only got 2 more years, so maybe they would. I do think this type of deal would be a significant improvement to the Panthers chances this year of potentially making the play-off's.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Frankie Spankie

Trading a bad contract for a bad contract isn't going to happen unless they're even and maybe a change in scenery might help them. If Chicago expects to make a salary dump of almost twice as much, they're going to have to add more to the table. Even then, I'm not sure if Campbell would even be in Florida's budget minus Olesz's contract.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Hawks fans are underestimating what Campbell will yield next year.

They won't need to take on another bad contract.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Trading a bad contract for a bad contract isn't going to happen unless they're even and maybe a change in scenery might help them. If Chicago expects to make a salary dump of almost twice as much, they're going to have to add more to the table. Even then, I'm not sure if Campbell would even be in Florida's budget minus Olesz's contract.
First - hope Champagne wishes is right!

2nd - while Campbell's contract is bad - he's still a very effective offensive defenseman. Like I said before - both Olesz & Campbell are probably overpaid by $1.5-2M, which is the important figure IMO. Saying that Campbell makes twice as much as Olesz, while true - doesn't really represent the underlying transaction. Campbell is an effective player - and right now, Olesz is not.

I still actually have high hopes for Olesz, and think he still can be a very effective player, which is why I'd like the deal.

Like you said - not sure if FLA has the ability to pick up $4M of salary, which is pretty doubtful considering they were apparently playing hardball with Tanguay over a lot less money than that.

I do think that this trade would significantly improve FLA's on ice product this year. Maybe if the Panthers get their ownership situation straightened out it might work, or if the Hawks take another short term bad contract back (if necessary).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think that Campbell can live up to 80% of his contract, which would mean that he's overpaid by about $1.5M. Compare that to Olesz? How is FLA fine if Olesz doesn't play up to his contract? You have a team on a budget that is wasting $3.1M.

I think that Olesz could very well still rebound and turn into a decent NHL'er. I just think this comparison is a lot closer than you're giving it credit for, which the Hawks could compensate for by including a good prospect (Skille or Makarov) or pick to make up the difference.

Still not sure if FLA would do it as they'd have a lot of $'s tied up in the blueline, but McCabe's only got 2 more years, so maybe they would. I do think this type of deal would be a significant improvement to the Panthers chances this year of potentially making the play-off's.
You answered your own question. They have an internal cap so paying a guy 7.14 million a year for 7 years hurts them. If I were them I'd rather overpay Olesz a million and a half then overpay a million and a half for Campbell. You also have to realize that he'll be 37 or 38 when that contract is up. Will he be worth 7.1 million at that time because Florida certainly couldn't afford to buy him out? Olesz is 23 and still has a lot of time to develop further so there is a bit of risk with him but there is with any young guy signed long term. It simply a brutal move for Florida to make

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote