Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas hoping stars align after disaster season: Season Preview

Old
09-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
But will Miettinen take on an expanded offensive role this season?

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins View Post
As part of the HFBoards partnership program, I've been granted the permission to post the below article.

For more season previews, check out www.corywilkins.ca
So you are picking Dallas to finish in the exact same place they did last year? So with a healthy Morrow and Richards they are destined for 12th in the west again? Wow..

I guess the loss of Parrish, Begin, Conner, Lundqvist and Sydor have really killed our chances.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I questioned this on another board and have yet to hear a good answer. What is superior about Minnesota's team in general and in comparison to Dallas? I'll give you the goalie Backstrom (Turco's going to have to prove something to me) but other than Burns and Mikko Koivu what's to love up there? Havlat is great if he can stay healthy. Does anyone really want to take that bet?

They have a new coach and system yet somehow that automatically makes him better than Crawford? The rest of their defense is better than Dallas' blue collar one?

Please Cory (and this is not an attack on you I've seen this train of thought by several HF posters and don't understand it at all) or anyone here for that matter explain the superiority of Minnesota. I don't see it.
Well, Koivu and when healthy Havlat are better then any of the Stars forwards. On defense Brent Burns, Kim Johnsson, Marek Zidlicky are better then any of the Stars' defenseman, it's debatable on Nick Schultz if he's better defensively then Stars best defenseman in his own zone in Grossman. Then Wild also have a edge in net.

The Stars offense is much better then the Wild though. The Wild have 3 legit puck moving defenseman, while the Stars have only one and he's a work in progress, Robidas and Daley aren't even close to that level yet. Daley can be if he starts skating the puck up the ice this upcoming season and Robidas isn't good enough of a passer.
I'm not certain if Vishnevskiy will actually be a puck moving defenseman, at least in the small sample size, it seems as his assists will come off of his shot, where as let's say Larsen, his assists will come off of passes.

I'm interested to see how Grossman does under Huddy he's a good passer, maybe second best on the roster right now of defenseman. He has a lot more offense upside then what he's shown and Huddy is the perfect coach for him. Can't count Woywitka, I know he's decent at puck moving, but not great haven't seen enough of him, though he has upside in that area.

The lack of another puck moving defenseman could be a major flaw in the Stars team in 09-10.

Last edited by ________: 09-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:06 AM
ColeJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
That was Gary Thorne. "Deep in the heart of Texas, the Stars are shining!"

Ralph was "The Stars win the Stanley Cup! The Stars win the Stanley Cup!" And then he may have passed out.
lol. well said.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Gosh, now I'm trying to remember the whole sequence of Thorne-speak from the end of that game.

I think it was "They score! Brett Hull! The Dallas Stars! They've won the Stanly Cup! Deep in the heart of Texas, the Stars are shining!"

Sorry for the exclamation point abuse. I'm not sure the first sentence is right, but the sequence went something like that. I've never heard the Strangis call in its full context.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Well, Koivu and when healthy Havlat are better then any of the Stars forwards. On defense Brent Burns, Kim Johnsson, Marek Zidlicky are better then any of the Stars' defenseman, it's debatable on Nick Schultz if he's better defensively then Stars best defenseman in his own zone in Grossman. Then Wild also have a edge in net.
Your perception of Stars players either seem way off or you just like to play the anti-homer card. Mikko Koivu is a very solid two-way center but he hasn't even earned his due to be called a legit 1st line center in the National Hockey League and yet he's better than any of our forwards. He actually had a career year last season, with 20 goals and 67 points. Awesome. Brenden Morrow, Brad Richards and Mike Ribeiro all should be lucky to post such an amazing statline next year. Mikko Koivu would center our 3rd line at best. Make no mistake about it. Then Martin Havlat, finally coming of a healthy season after being troubled by injuries the previous five (!). Outstanding offensive threat, but even all his talent usually gets him no further then a 20/30 goal and 70 point season. He also has no intangibles to speak off. No defensive game, no physical game and no leadership. I would swap him with Brenden Morrow, who puts up the same numbers with all the intagibles, in a New York minute. I might move a 70/90 point center and former Conn Smyth winner in his prime for him, too.

Nothing against your Burns mentioning. He's solid and better than anything we can lace up on the blueline. Zidlicky is a defensive liability. He has been for years. Good offensive stats, but I prefer complete defenders such as Robidas or Daley. Kim Johnsson isn't more than a #3/#4, while I'm not even going to bother Nick Schultz.

Are we beter than the Wild? I'd say our forwards and overall experience gives us the nod. Defense and goaltenders aren't far apart. Probably one of our biggest competitors in the fight for the final playoff spots.

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:51 PM
DD88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Please Cory (and this is not an attack on you I've seen this train of thought by several HF posters and don't understand it at all) or anyone here for that matter explain the superiority of Minnesota. I don't see it.
On paper, I think Minnesota is the better team.

With Risebrough/Lemaire replaced with Fletcher/Richards, the team will have a whole new system, abandoning its trap system from before. I think the fans in Minnesota will be seeing a very offensive-octane team. In Dallas, yes they have a new coach in Crawford, though I'm not entirely sure he's the right man for this team. But time will tell.

Comparing the goaltending, it will be interesting to see how Backstrom performs when not playing a defensive system anymore. For that reason, I don't think it's a "home run" that he's better than Turco. I think Turco is among the better goalies in the league and has the ability to bounce back after a sub-par year. For those reasons, I wouldn't 100% say that Minnesota has better goaltending than Dallas.

Mikko Koivu is getting better every year. Andrew Brunette is one of the most consistent scorers in the league. Havlat staying healthy (can he be any worse than Gaborik?), will be key for Minnesota making the playoffs. Both Owen Nolan and Antti Miettinen played very well last season and hopefully they can keep up their play. At the same time, I think Dallas has a solid group of forwards, with a healthy Morrow, as well as Riberio, Eriksson, Richards, etc. Hopefully Brunnstrom can take the next step with a new coach. This is surely Mike Modano last year as well, so hopefully he can close it out in a good way.

I like the low-tier additions on D of Greg Zanon and Shane Hnidy, who will replace M-A Bergeron, Skoula, and Foster. I also think the top-four, led by Burns, is relatively solid. Both Kim Johnsson and Nick Schultz provide valuable support, and Zidlicky, though not great defensively, is a valuable offensive piece. Comparing that overall group to Dallas, I think it's safe to say it's a better group, especially at moving the puck, which has proven to be key in the post-lockout game.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. Like I've said, I think this year there will be more parity than ever, with spots 6th-12th separated by only a few points. But ultimately, I see Minnesota grabbing one of those spots and Dallas on the outside.

DD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins View Post
On paper, I think Minnesota is the better team.

With Risebrough/Lemaire replaced with Fletcher/Richards, the team will have a whole new system, abandoning its trap system from before. I think the fans in Minnesota will be seeing a very offensive-octane team. In Dallas, yes they have a new coach in Crawford, though I'm not entirely sure he's the right man for this team. But time will tell.

Comparing the goaltending, it will be interesting to see how Backstrom performs when not playing a defensive system anymore. For that reason, I don't think it's a "home run" that he's better than Turco. I think Turco is among the better goalies in the league and has the ability to bounce back after a sub-par year. For those reasons, I wouldn't 100% say that Minnesota has better goaltending than Dallas.

Mikko Koivu is getting better every year. Andrew Brunette is one of the most consistent scorers in the league. Havlat staying healthy (can he be any worse than Gaborik?), will be key for Minnesota making the playoffs. Both Owen Nolan and Antti Miettinen played very well last season and hopefully they can keep up their play. At the same time, I think Dallas has a solid group of forwards, with a healthy Morrow, as well as Riberio, Eriksson, Richards, etc. Hopefully Brunnstrom can take the next step with a new coach. This is surely Mike Modano last year as well, so hopefully he can close it out in a good way.

I like the low-tier additions on D of Greg Zanon and Shane Hnidy, who will replace M-A Bergeron, Skoula, and Foster. I also think the top-four, led by Burns, is relatively solid. Both Kim Johnsson and Nick Schultz provide valuable support, and Zidlicky, though not great defensively, is a valuable offensive piece. Comparing that overall group to Dallas, I think it's safe to say it's a better group, especially at moving the puck, which has proven to be key in the post-lockout game.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. Like I've said, I think this year there will be more parity than ever, with spots 6th-12th separated by only a few points. But ultimately, I see Minnesota grabbing one of those spots and Dallas on the outside.
this is word for word exactly what Dallas is doing. And for the record, losing Lemaire is a huge blow to the Wild's chances. I'd rather have him coaching Dallas then any other person in the league. New Jersey fans should be happy that Sutter ****ed off to Calgary to be with his brother because it's a huge step up from him to Lemaire.

Dallas clearly has the better forward group, I don't see how anyone could argue that. The Stars had 11 more goals scored then the wild last season playing with 5 or 6 regular players out of the lineup over the last half of the season pretty much every single night, including key guys like Morrow and Richards. I like the Stars' veteran players when compared to the Wild's, and I definetly like our youngsters (1000 times over) when compared to Cal Clutterbuck and Antti Miettinen.

The defense on Dallas may not be flashy but it will get the job done. Really all it comes down to for Dallas is Turco playing well - if he has another season like last year the Stars will be lucky to finish 8th. If he plays "average" or above for a goaltender, then the Stars have a very strong chance to finish 4th or 5th in the conference, like they were on track to do last season before the injuries got out of hand.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Alistar get out of my head. You're stealing my thoughts with your evil mind reading device.

Nolan is old and counting on him for offense is taking your chances. Miettinen is so inconsistent it hurts. Yeah he'll go on a two week scoring spree, then he'll disappear for another two or three weeks.

I can only hope Crawford posts these preview magazines all over the locker room and tells the guys the whole hockey world thinks you suck. Go out there and prove them wrong.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:17 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajacied View Post
Your perception of Stars players either seem way off or you just like to play the anti-homer card. Mikko Koivu is a very solid two-way center but he hasn't even earned his due to be called a legit 1st line center in the National Hockey League and yet he's better than any of our forwards. He actually had a career year last season, with 20 goals and 67 points. Awesome.
Brenden Morrow, Brad Richards and Mike Ribeiro all should be lucky to post such an amazing statline next year. Mikko Koivu would center our 3rd line at best. Make no mistake about it.
Maybe you should watch him play more, he's one of the best defensive centers in the league and he put up those 67 points playing with such "great" offense talent as Miettinen, Owen Nolan and Andrew Brunnette.
Koivu would center the Stars first line, he's still one of the most underrated players in the league and if he finally gets to play with a legit top six forward, he's going to put up over 80 points next season along with Selke caliber defense.

Quote:
Then Martin Havlat, finally coming of a healthy season after being troubled by injuries the previous five (!). Outstanding offensive threat, but even all his talent usually gets him no further then a 20/30 goal and 70 point season. He also has no intangibles to speak off. No defensive game, no physical game and no leadership. I would swap him with Brenden Morrow, who puts up the same numbers with all the intagibles, in a New York minute. I might move a 70/90 point center and former Conn Smyth winner in his prime for him, too.
Havlat as I've said, when healthy is more talented then any of the Stars' forwards. Havlat's two play play is underrated, it's not great by any means, but it's not horrible like you're saying. The player you're describing is more like Gaborik.

Quote:
Zidlicky is a defensive liability. He has been for years. Good offensive stats, but I prefer complete defenders such as Robidas or Daley. Kim Johnsson isn't more than a #3/#4, while I'm not even going to bother Nick Schultz.
Zidlicky isn't great defensively, but he's not a liability either. Zidlicky doesn't have just good offensive stats, he can actually run a pp, which the Stars don't have a defenseman that's capable of that, or any defenseman that's even on his level passing wise.

Robidas is mediocre in all areas of the game, except he's great in taking hits and having his shot attempts get blocked or miss the net.
Daley like Robidas is hard to compare to Zidlicky, because neither one is even close to his level offensively and neither Daley or Robidas is "good or great defensively".

Kim Johnsson is a legit #2nd pairing defenseman with good puck moving ability something the Stars don't have in either one of their actual two second pairing defenseman(Grossman, or Skrastins.

Old
09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Maybe you should watch him play more, he's one of the best defensive centers in the league and he put up those 67 points playing with such "great" offense talent as Miettinen, Owen Nolan and Andrew Brunnette.
Koivu would center the Stars first line, he's still one of the most underrated players in the league and if he finally gets to play with a legit top six forward, he's going to put up over 80 points next season along with Selke caliber defense.
I would agree that he's an underrated player, but until he actually puts up over 80 points and plays Selke caliber defense, he's not better than either Ribeiro or Richards.

Quote:
Havlat as I've said, when healthy is more talented then any of the Stars' forwards. Havlat's two play play is underrated, it's not great by any means, but it's not horrible like you're saying. The player you're describing is more like Gaborik.
You said better, not more talented. Yet I'm still not convinced.

Ajacied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 02:59 PM
________

Quote:
I would agree that he's an underrated player, but until he actually puts up over 80 points and plays Selke caliber defense, he's not better than either Ribeiro or Richards.
He finished tied in Selke voting with Zetterberg and was the the 7th best center in the NHL based on NHL award voting despite only the 67 points.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...okie-team.html

Old
09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
He finished tied in Selke voting with Zetterberg and was the the 7th best center in the NHL based on NHL award voting despite only the 67 points.
I guess a single homer vote now determines a player's worth. By your standards, he's a better center than Zetterberg. Using awards voting that far down the list is a ridiculous way to back up a claim. Not saying I can't see your point, but your Minnesota (state) homerism is clearly showing.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:15 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
I guess a single homer vote now determines a player's worth. By your standards, he's a better center than Zetterberg. Using awards voting that far down the list is a ridiculous way to back up a claim. Not saying I can't see your point, but your Minnesota (state) homerism is clearly showing.

Oh not all, it's not even considered a small sample size, but there's someone else that thinks similarly of him. There's some errors on that list, such as Jeff Carter listed as a center and Ryan Getzlaf at right wing. I don't consider Zetterberg a center, since he plays a lot of wing.

It has nothing to do with Koivu playing for the Wild, he could play for the Kings and I'd say the same thing about him.