HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VAN-MTL: Demitra for Plekanec

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
VAN-MTL: Demitra for Plekanec

This is obviously completely hypothetical and just for discussion. A thought I just had and I don't feel like racking my brain to see if it makes sense or is plausible so I thought I'd let you guys have at it. What about a straight up flop of Pavol Demitra for Tomas Plekanec? The Habs have a couple of million available in cap space, while the Nucks could shed a bit. The salaries are 4M$ for Demitra and 2.75M$ for Plekanec, both of whom could perhaps use a change of scenery.

Both are UFA's after this year, and the Habs have a pretty big crop of RFA's to sign next year, including Carey Price, Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre. Getting Demitra could make sense to add a little punch to the offence, while Plekanec would be a nice return for the Nucks, as he has the ability to easily match Demitra's offensive output and allows them to get under the cap before the season starts. What say you?

Old
09-07-2009, 05:17 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

I would say yes.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
markisonfire

I don't think Montreal would do this.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
I don't think Montreal would do this.
Maybe and 2nd or 3rd coming back? I've always kind of had a little thing for Demitra in my heart, although I really like Plekanec too.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Defeatist*

This isn't going to end well..

Old
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeatist View Post
This isn't going to end well..
Well that comment matches your username. This isn't a massive blockbuster trade or anything, add something to the discussion.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
Canucks will keep Demitra.

Old
Tripwyre

A straight-up trade is laughable from the Habs perspective. We'd need to add something, and it's not worth it. We don't need anything back for Demitra other than a pick, we just need to be rid of him. There are young players on the roster already / in Manitoba who are ready and waiting to take his spot, and a Selke finalist waiting to absorb his cap-hit next season.

I like Plekanec, but this is unnecessary.

Old
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Straight up doesn't make too much sense from Montreal's point-of-view, I think.

Demitra likely won't out-produce Plekanec, so what incentive would Montreal have in doing this, aside from adding salary?

Besides, can Demitra play center?

Old
09-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
This is obviously completely hypothetical and just for discussion. A thought I just had and I don't feel like racking my brain to see if it makes sense or is plausible so I thought I'd let you guys have at it. What about a straight up flop of Pavol Demitra for Tomas Plekanec? The Habs have a couple of million available in cap space, while the Nucks could shed a bit. The salaries are 4M$ for Demitra and 2.75M$ for Plekanec, both of whom could perhaps use a change of scenery.

Both are UFA's after this year, and the Habs have a pretty big crop of RFA's to sign next year, including Carey Price, Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre. Getting Demitra could make sense to add a little punch to the offence, while Plekanec would be a nice return for the Nucks, as he has the ability to easily match Demitra's offensive output and allows them to get under the cap before the season starts. What say you?
If you know that Plekanec can match Demitra's offensive output (let's round it up to 20goals), then why would the Habs want to add 2M$ to their pay-roll? If anything, this would be a major downgrade in the top 6.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:28 PM
MonacoBlue

Demitra is too injury prone. No thanks.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I would do this from a canucks POV

Old
09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
If you know that Plekanec can match Demitra's offensive output (let's round it up to 20goals), then why would the Habs want to add 2M$ to their pay-roll? If anything, this would be a major downgrade in the top 6.
"ability"

Old
09-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Plekance has never had a better PPG than Demitra

Old
09-07-2009, 05:39 PM
keslehr*

I like the deal. But Vancouver would have to add a 3rd rounder or something to sweeten the deal.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post

Adding 2mil in salary for about the same production doesn't make sense. Even if Demitra adds a little more punch we lose a player who is better at the other end. Also it would stop any chance of resigning Lang if the rumors are true.
Lang and Plecs>>> than Demitra.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
LostMyGlasses*

I can't see why Montreal would do this.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
JohnHodgson

Both teams say no IMO.

Demitra is a better forward then Plekanec at this point. Were a contending team, we don't want a downgrade.

Montreal believes Plekanec will bounce back and put up as decent numbers as Demitra. He also costs much less so it doesn't make sense for them.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Vancouver would definitely have to sweeten the pot for this trade to work. I've never been a big Demitra fan. He has his uses, especially on the PP, but I just can't handle how he never goes into corners and when he does he usually gets injured.

Vancouver would have to add a mid-level pick or prospect.

I don't think Gillis moves Demitra anyway. I get the feeling Demitra has an unofficial and unspoken NTC.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Rob Zepp

Demitra is a former top 10 point producer in NHL and a good bet for 60ish points. He is tremendous with the puck and makes a lot of heads up plays. This is important with mentoring the crop of younger players the Vancouver franchise has coming along. Not sure Plekanec has that pedigre of ability.

For the one year of each, the Vancouver franchise seems to have a lot better going for it if they have Demitra on their roster than Plekanec.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
Plekance has never had a better PPG than Demitra
Demitra isn't getting any younger, while Plekanec is just entering his prime (despite a disappointing 08-09 campaign). One player is significantly declining in terms of points (while being very consistent), and the other has much to prove but has shown great promise with a 69pts season (alongside Kovalev, which counts for something).

Old
09-07-2009, 06:09 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Demitra isn't getting any younger, while Plekanec is just entering his prime (despite a disappointing 08-09 campaign). One player is significantly declining in terms of points (while being very consistent), and the other has much to prove but has shown great promise with a 69pts season (alongside Kovalev, which counts for something).
Does it really matter if Plekanec is entering his prime? The Canucks won't be able to re-sign either player regardless. It would essentially be a swap for 1 year rentals as I doubt the Habs will have the room for Plekanec either, especially with Price coming up for RFA.

Old
09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
GreenPenInk

I really like this swap even if Vancouver has to add a draft pick to get it done.

Old
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
ziploc

I am heartened to see it was a Habs fan who made this proposal. It's not the worst one out there, but methinks a Canucks fan would be flamed mercilessly for making it.

Demitra is the better player, but I don't think this deal could ever happen. I doubt Gillis moves Pavol, and I agree that Montreal probably does not do this; there seems to be little point, unless they think Demitra puts them over the top for a chance at the cup. Maybe this could be a deadline deal, but then it wouldn't make much sense for the Nucks, as most of the salary is eaten by that point.

Old
09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Maxpac

**** NO!

If the Habs are going to get another 2nd line center he has to have both of these attributes: size and grit. In all honesty i would give Plekanec, Weber and a 1st for Kessler before giving Plekanec only for Demitra.

Closed Thread