HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers sign Schremp to 1 year, 2 way deal ($715K NHL, $75K AHL)

Old
09-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Oilerfan_55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
That tattoo picture is hilarious. I just saw the banana hammock picture too. This guy is classic.

It's good that they're giving him a shot with a new coaching staff. I may not have been watching closely enough last year, but I remember him scoring 3 points in four games with friggen Pouliot on his line.

I like to think that he's working on the parts of his game (skating, defence) that have caused him to go from prospect to suspect and I hope he has success, EVEN IF we'll have to listen to BBO say I told you so for the rest of his life.
From the interview I just read, it sounds like he is more concerned with "Rob Schremp Hockey" (ie: what has kept him out of the league so far).

Seriously, it Kenny Powers was a real person, and played hockey instead of baseball, his name would be Rob Schremp.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I think we should give these lines a try.

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Nilsson - Gagner - Cogliano
Moreau - O'Sullivan - Pisani
Schremp - Pouliot - Brule

Just to either prove or disprove the small skilled lineup cannot win myth.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
That tattoo picture is hilarious. I just saw the banana hammock picture too. This guy is classic.

It's good that they're giving him a shot with a new coaching staff. I may not have been watching closely enough last year, but I remember him scoring 3 points in four games with friggen Pouliot on his line.

I like to think that he's working on the parts of his game (skating, defence) that have caused him to go from prospect to suspect and I hope he has success, EVEN IF we'll have to listen to BBO say I told you so for the rest of his life.
He said in a recent radio interview. Much to my amazement that his skating is good and he does not need to work on it at all.

If he is thinking about playing Rob Schremp hockey from junior as he has been saying lately. Then that has nothing to do with working on the defensive side of things either.

It also surprised me recently when he said he just now started to diet right along with working out. He has been talking about having a proper diet and working out right for years. I guess it was just lip service in the past? I know after the first camp he said it and then later admitted during his last year of junior he ate his favourite food McDonalds pretty much every day all year long.

I am actually pulling for the guy. I think he has worked a lot of the junk out of his junior game in the minors. I am a little worried from his recent comments he is going come in with this hotdog all offense and nothing else attitude. Which will punch him a ticket to the minors in a hurry.

I am pulling for him though as I said. He can be an NHL player if he gets his head on straight.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
From the interview I just read, it sounds like he is more concerned with "Rob Schremp Hockey" (ie: what has kept him out of the league so far).

Seriously, it Kenny Powers was a real person, and played hockey instead of baseball, his name would be Rob Schremp.
It seems pretty clear to me he logically believes the hockey skills he possesses are of the offensive nature and he will never be a true defensive player like the MacT era wanted him to become.

Hundreds of NHL's have successful careers being offensive guys with average to below average defensive skillsets. Many of those guys did not have the pucks skills and hockey sense Schremp has.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
haha nice to see all the same people are making all the same posts about Schremp for the jazillionth time on here.

I think the deal is good for both parties. I'm glad Robbie is getting one last chance with the Oilers sans MacT and co. Now he has to prove himself.

I would have been upset if we just gave him away without another shot, and would have been pissed if his contract was such that he could stick around in the org. for another year if he didn't make the big club (which I don't think is even possible at this point). I like the fact that either Schremp will finally show that he belongs, or will be an Islander in a matter of weeks.

I won't even say what I think will happen because I, like so many others have made my opinion clear time and time again

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Digger12

Personally, I think Schremp's chances of making this team are exceeding slim. Admittedly they have slightly improved with the contract he's signed, but he is still the longest of shots.

I'll still pull for him though, he seems like an engaging kid and I never outright cheer for an Oilers prospect to fail. It's amusing to see the reactions of some in the blogosphere though, you'd swear that if they saw Schremp walking alone on the streets and thought they could get away with it, they'd drag him into an alley and garrote him with piano wire.

It's like my wife and Bailey's...she can't even look at a bottle of it without her stomach doing backflips; not much removed from how some fans react when the 'S' word is uttered within earshot.

Best of luck to ya, Rob. In all honesty I think you'll be getting an address change around one month from today, but good luck all the same.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Louis Cypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
I think it is a picture of BBO

Someone post the hammock picture.

Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Cypher View Post

Someone post the hammock picture.
You asked for it.

And if that doesn't work here's the blog which it came from.

Last edited by Boilers*: 11-14-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:35 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I sure hope so. I hope the days of seeing players like Toby Petersen on the top line are gone .

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cogliano-Gagner-O'Sullivan
Schremp-Brule-Nilsson
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani

I hope those are the lines (especially the 3rd line )
Bulin might aswell pick up the puck and throw it into his own net.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Girth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Bulin might aswell pick up the puck and throw it into his own net.

I've never seen a goalie attack his own team, but I'm picturing Bulin chasing Schremp around the ice in a two handed axe pose. (hunting down the slowest of the herd)

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Usual_Suspect

This link was posted in the news and blog thread yesterday but not commented on.

Matheson mentioned that the Flyers and Islanders may be interested in Schremp.

The Islanders have been mentioned a few times but I don't know if we have heard the Flyers mentioned yet.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...361/story.html

Quote:
Schremp could have signed for less than $715,000 to make him more marketable to somebody else--the Philadelphia Flyers have also been sniffing around, but don't have a lot of salary-cap room--but his two-way deal makes him attractive.
Quote:
But if Schremp fails to crack the Oilers roster and gets sent to the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League, there are strong indications the New York Islanders would take him on waivers.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
This link was posted in the news and blog thread yesterday but not commented on.

Matheson mentioned that the Flyers and Islanders may be interested in Schremp.

The Islanders have been mentioned a few times but I don't know if we have heard the Flyers mentioned yet.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...361/story.html
A fresh start on the Island might be a good thing for him if he doesn't cut the mustard at camp.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:58 AM
LimpDave

i really think schremp may be a great fit on the isles, but who would come back our way?

if schremp can really produce well i could see a lineup like this actually working quite well for us

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nilsson-Gagner-Cogliano
O'Sullivan-Schremp-Pisani
Moreau-Pouliot-Stortini

JFJ/Brule

I truly believe Schremp needs to play center to really shine, i think Pouliot makes it over Brule, but if Brule could easily replace one of Schremp or Pouliot on the third or fourth lines.

Penner's coming back this year too imo, i think he's going to bring some more jump to his game, i think Renny especially will know how to motivate him, as MacT riding Penner didn't seem to work positively

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpDave View Post
i really think schremp may be a great fit on the isles, but who would come back our way?
No one. He'd be claimed off waivers.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 01:23 AM
LimpDave

true, but i hope it doesn't get to that

(probably should have read all the articles and posts before posting...lol)

Old
09-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
true, but i hope it doesn't get to that

(probably should have read all the articles and posts before posting...lol)
No sense in trading for him if you can get him for free IMO. If it gets into a bidding war perhaps we can get a 3rd round pick or a prospect for him. If not let the waiver wire play out however it will play out. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and he stays here, time will tell that story.

Old
09-07-2009, 02:47 AM
LimpDave

Bryan do you think Schremp could be sucessful at center on the oilers?

i've watched how he plays on the wing and to be honest i feel his game works best as a center, with Pisani on his wing he wouldn't have to be the first man back, Pisani also has a wicked shot

i personally feel having POS and Pisani on Schremps wings would likely be a very difficult line to play against, and i think Rob would be more motivated in his natural position.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Bryan do you think Schremp could be sucessful at center on the oilers?

i've watched how he plays on the wing and to be honest i feel his game works best as a center, with Pisani on his wing he wouldn't have to be the first man back, Pisani also has a wicked shot

i personally feel having POS and Pisani on Schremps wings would likely be a very difficult line to play against, and i think Rob would be more motivated in his natural position.
I think he could do well as a center with softer minutes. He is at his best creating from the middle of the ice and the right side so naturally they moved him to the LW

That sounds like a good line to me actually.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:04 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Who does he have to bump?

The struggle is even harder for him because he has to displace an established player.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Who does he have to bump?

The struggle is even harder for him because he has to displace an established player.
Cogliano moves to the wing and there you go. Cogs takes Nilsson's spot and Schremp takes Cogs' down the middle.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Antidote

It seems to me that Rob's Pre-Season Game That Matters is against the Islanders a week Wednesday. He's really playing to make both teams. Should be a strong motivator!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
tretiak09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Cogliano moves to the wing and there you go. Cogs takes Nilsson's spot and Schremp takes Cogs' down the middle.
Ugh, what a horrible idea.

Moving to the wing isn't as simple as it sounds, and why would you make the better player (Cogliano) do it in favour of Schremp?

Cogliano has a lot to work on, his faceoff's and his defensive coverage are suspect at this point, but he has a future as a centermen in the NHL. You don't take time away from him at that position if favour of a guy like Rob Schremp.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretiak09 View Post
Ugh, what a horrible idea.

Moving to the wing isn't as simple as it sounds, and why would you make the better player (Cogliano) do it in favour of Schremp?

Cogliano has a lot to work on, his faceoff's and his defensive coverage are suspect at this point, but he has a future as a centermen in the NHL. You don't take time away from him at that position if favour of a guy like Rob Schremp.
Schremp would be better than 40% in the dot and he'd create offense. Cogs could use his speed cutting to the outside on the wing and it'd fit into his shoot first mentality. It would benefit both IMO.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
tretiak09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Schremp would be better than 40% in the dot and he'd create offense. Cogs could use his speed cutting to the outside on the wing and it'd fit into his shoot first mentality. It would benefit both IMO.
It would benefit no one. There is no guarantee Schremp would be better then 40%, I would say he would do worse then Cogliano, as I think Cogliano is improving, and Schremp is just another rookie. Schremp might create offense, maybe if we're lucky. You're talking like he is an established NHL'er. Before you talk about Schremp creating offense at the NHL level, you first must debate if he even makes the NHL.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretiak09 View Post
It would benefit no one. There is no guarantee Schremp would be better then 40%, I would say he would do worse then Cogliano, as I think Cogliano is improving, and Schremp is just another rookie. Schremp might create offense, maybe if we're lucky. You're talking like he is an established NHL'er. Before you talk about Schremp creating offense at the NHL level, you first must debate if he even makes the NHL.
Cogs needs to be moved to the wing whether or not Schremp makes the team. And yes he would be better than 40% based on what he's been able to do at the AHL level in terms of draws. I would probably figure that he'd be between 45-47% in the dot, still not great by any stretch but it beats the hell out of 38-40%.