HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do rec-league goalies pay to play?

View Poll Results: Do rec-league goalies pay to play?
Yes - full price 18 22.50%
Yes - but less than full price 30 37.50%
No - they play for free 34 42.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Let me guess, you're a goaltender.

Hey you guys can think whatever you wish about my views, playing goal is another position on the ice and the ice costs $$$.

... and yes I WOULD pay even if I did not have to for the same reason I would pay for my own meal even if someone else offered to pay for it. It's called showing some class and PROPER ETTIQUETTE.

Goalies who don't pay bother me, I'm sorry but they do. I see it in the same way as I would a freeloader mooching a meal.

It is my opinion of which I am entitled.
I certainly respect your opinion if you really do always pay your full share.

Do you?

Do you absolutely insist on paying for some portion of the extra (much higher) expenses of your Goalie's gear, even though they have gone out and paid those expenses on there own, for everyone's enjoyment, and not asked a dime in return?

Or do you just prefer to mooch in this case and not even chip in a couple of extra bucks to allow the goalie to play for what can hardly be described as "free"?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Isles72

my buddy who moved to the gta around 17 years ago is a carpenter by day , rent a goalie by night

I think he was getting around 25 bucks to play an hour of pick up hockey back in the 1990's .He said it basically just happened without even trying because one group of pik up players would pass his name /phone number to another group , next thing he knew it just went a little crazy

he said hes made an unbelievable amount of contacts for work for his carpentry in his big circle of pik up hockey friends

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
You're absolutely entitled to your opinion - I never claimed otherwise. However, I stand by my remark, and I'll add that you're one of the reasons why goalies won't show up to these sorts of skates (whether they have to pay or not).

And it has nothing to do with your anger at goalies not paying. My guess is that you're also the type who doesn't know how to warm goalies up before a skate (instead either wanting to show us how hard you can shoot, or how many dekes you can do on a breakaway), and that you're the type who will slash at a goalie's glove well after the play is dead.

(And that's my opinion - which I'm entitled to.)
Now you are just ASSuming things ... I warm the goalie up always by shooting at his pads so he can get a feel for the puck which is what warmups are for. Also for your info I tap the opposition's goalie on the pads when he makes a nice save and usually yell "whistle" when the ref was too slow with his own before a goalie gets hurt.

Only a moron would do as you've suggested.

It looks to me like you are insulted by what I said personally because you are a goaltender who doesn't pay.

I know you are a moderator and all that but really you shouldn't start antogonizing another poster for stating his opinion that differs from yours and also sliding in with your own insults hoping to hit on a fault or weakness in the guy you feel you've been insulted by clearly in the hopes of "striking a nerve" with said poster to get them riled up (me).

I'm 41 years old, highschool was yesterday.

Keep digging .... maybe you'll find something.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 09-07-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

You seem to be making several assumptions yourself (although when you do so, you cleverly couch it as "expressing your opinion". I guess I don't get that same courtesy from you).

Last edited by Doctor No: 09-07-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Hounsy

You may think goalies "tools" for the way things are and always have been, as if we playing today made it that way...but we are not.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Griff57

pick ups are always free. i never have paid for one, and quite frankly, i never will. leagues are a different story, and i have no problem paying, just like everyone else on my team.

"playmaker"......do me a favor....go compare the prices of player equipment, to goalie equipment. you will see part of the reason we dont pay for ice time in a pick up.

i have no idea what level you play at. but for the hell of it, do me another favor. let someone shoot a piece of vulcanized rubber at you at say, 80mph , about 30 times a night. im not saying everyone of them hurts when it hits you, but quite a few, tend to make their way thru, or somehow around the padding. it doesnt feel great when it does. so yea, maybe we dont wanna pay for a pick up....but i dont see a lot of skaters volunteering to put themselves in front of that little piece rubber, that many times a night either

then again, thats just my opinion. i dont wanna speak for all goalies.

Griff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I'm 41 years old, highschool was yesterday.
Better late than never.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff57 View Post
i have no idea what level you play at. but for the hell of it, do me another favor. let someone shoot a piece of vulcanized rubber at you at say, 80mph , about 30 times a night.
You know, I caught a puck during a game this weekend, just a beer league game and it was just a dump. And it hurt enough for me to question why I try to do that... I can't imagine people standing in front of them every week.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Papaspud
upsetting the

Quote:
You're absolutely entitled to your opinion - I never claimed otherwise. However, I stand by my remark, and I'll add that you're one of the reasons why goalies won't show up to these sorts of skates (whether they have to pay or not).

And it has nothing to do with your anger at goalies not paying. My guess is that you're also the type who doesn't know how to warm goalies up before a skate (instead either wanting to show us how hard you can shoot, or how many dekes you can do on a breakaway), and that you're the type who will slash at a goalie's glove well after the play is dead.

Thank you Dr.!!!
I was wondering what keeper stonewalled this guy myself? Someone with a quick glovehand kill his dream of an NHL carreer? He has such lack of respect for goalies it does make me wonder if he can even score when one is in net. I agree about the warm-up as well. Since it doesn't matter if a goalie's in net to this guy....why bother warming him/ her up properly?
Back to the op.....Have played in both: partial...and no fee. Something to muse on though. In a league game, if a player can't make it for some reason or another...ie: life, you just play with a shortened bench....no frantic phone calls throughout the day to find a replacement. If the goalie can't make it...hmmmmm....slightly different response. I could really care less if this "scorer" shows up or not.....I'd still have fun.
Just my opinion...of which I am entitled.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 05:36 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Now you are just ASSuming things ...
I see what you did there! You capitalized the first three letters of the word "assuming", to make the word "ASS" magically appear! Hilarious, good sir. I tip my hat to you, as should all goaltenders and players alike. You have bested us all!

You earned this! Display this emoticon in your signature with pride! --->

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 05:54 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Im a goalie and I have never once paid for a game of drop in/pickup/etc hockey at a rink. The only time Ive ever seen a rink charge goalies is if youre the 5th goalie to show up, first 4 are free, and some places wont allow more than 4 goalies to sign up. (Grew up in MI btw, so ive played there and here)

As for leagues, I usually pay half price for the league. Ive never once viewed paying cheaper prices as "you need us we get a discount, I actually always believed us goalies payed less because of the cost of our equipment in general. I thought that was a consensus view, maybe Ive been wrong all these years? Hell I was looking at chest protectors for $450.00 the other day (my old koho is going on 9yrs or so now).

The one guy brings up an interesting question which ive never been faced with, if someone demanded I pay full price for the team, would I choose to play for them? Im honestly not sure, Ive never been presented with that scenario before. Guess it depends if it was a team of strangers, or a team of friends, and im pretty sure a team of friends would never ask that anyway.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
The one guy brings up an interesting question which ive never been faced with, if someone demanded I pay full price for the team, would I choose to play for them? Im honestly not sure, Ive never been presented with that scenario before. Guess it depends if it was a team of strangers, or a team of friends, and im pretty sure a team of friends would never ask that anyway.
An excellent point, and it gets us closer to the original thread topic.

I think that teams get what they pay for when they decide whether or not to help fund a goaltender. And it's largely supply and demand - in areas with a large number of quality goaltenders, I bet that teams are more reluctant to fund a goaltender.

When I was trying to get as much ice time as possible, I was paying to play on a "B" team in Westminster. We were always at or near the top of the league, the play was fast and exciting, and I enjoyed being the last man back there. Unfortunately, my time commitments changed (playing college club, coaching women's college club, and finishing a doctorate makes for a full day) and I told the captain that I was stretched for time and money (I was in grad school), and if the team picked up half of the fees, I'd love to stick around, but I couldn't afford it otherwise.

They went another direction, and I completely understood. And at the end of the year, I was asked back with full fees paid - it wasn't that the new goaltender had trouble with the league or the system (they went from 16-4-1 to 4-17-0); what upset the team was the reliability. Twice the goaltender didn't show up and didn't bother to tell anyone.

Nowadays I have the attitude that when a captain approaches me to play for his/her team, I assume that I'm paying full fees and I factor that into my decision (I'm busy). If the captain says that they'll pay some/all of my fees, or if the league has a goalies don't pay rule, then I'm more likely to join. There's no hard feelings, and it's just a decision that goaltenders have to make.

Old
09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

This is a pretty petty post. Kinda childish actually. Papa isnt much better.

In shinny it doesnt really matter if a goalie pays or not. In shinny i dont personally care if goalies do show up or not. For the 5 bucks it costs me i have no problem throwing the nets on their face and playing Bank or just Ringer. When it is costing 5 bucks, goalies really are not that important. If you cant enjoy hockey unless you have goalies, thats really just a shame imo.

Now with leagues, you cant really play without goalies. But a league with 10 teams should be able to find 10 goalies. If you cant you have bigger problems then goalies paying or not. And yes they should pay.

Dont see why you guys need to insult the man because he thinks goalies should pay. All it does is dumb down this thread.

P.S The majority of goalies i play against are not wearing high end gear. Hell, i spend more on my gear then most of these goalies and i dont wear all high end gear. This is just a dumb excuse that doesnt apply to the majority in my experience.

P.P.S I would take 30 shots a game over being lined up in the tracks any day.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:53 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
P.S The majority of goalies i play against are not wearing high end gear. Hell, i spend more on my gear then most of these goalies and i dont wear all high end gear. This is just a dumb excuse that doesnt apply to the majority in my experience.
Totally agree with that. The cost of my equipment shouldn't have an impact on the fees I pay. There are guys on my team with 15-year-old gear and $15 wood sticks, and there are guys with $600 skates and $300 composite sticks. Both pay the same league fees.

Reliability is why I think goalies get a discount on fees, or free league play altogether. We *have* to play, or find a sub. Personally, I like paying 50%... still paying toward the team but also getting some respect for always putting my team first and personal affairs second.

Again, I'm paying 100% this year and I have no qualms with it, because I've been with this group of guys for a while. Probably wouldn't pay 100% to play with a team of strangers. It's the difference between giving $20 to a stranger or $20 to a friend. You can disagree with it, fine, but this is my opinion.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

P.P.S I would take 30 shots a game over being lined up in the tracks any day.
Cheap gear is still pretty expensive, I wore some low end stuff for a long time and it can still add up. Though along the lines of what you are saying, I invested in some professional quality pads and gloves and I don't think that should entitle me to less league fees than when I was wearing garbage pads. What the goalie is wearing shouldn't have too much to do with it (just my opinion, obviously).

As for taking shots over getting checked, I tend to agree with you. But between practices, shinny and the fact that most rec leagues don't have a lot of hard body checks thrown, it won't be a concern during the majority of the hockey you play. Whereas I'll see way more shots during a typical hour practice or open hockey than I ever would in a game (and I would say I get about one pretty healthy stinger/bruise a game).

Old
09-08-2009, 01:58 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Totally agree with that. The cost of my equipment shouldn't have an impact on the fees I pay. There are guys on my team with 15-year-old gear and $15 wood sticks, and there are guys with $600 skates and $300 composite sticks. Both pay the same league fees.

Reliability is why I think goalies get a discount on fees, or free league play altogether. We *have* to play, or find a sub. Personally, I like paying 50%... still paying toward the team but also getting some respect for always putting my team first and personal affairs second.

Again, I'm paying 100% this year and I have no qualms with it, because I've been with this group of guys for a while. Probably wouldn't pay 100% to play with a team of strangers. It's the difference between giving $20 to a stranger or $20 to a friend. You can disagree with it, fine, but this is my opinion.
50% sounds fair enough to me.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Dont see why you guys need to insult the man because he thinks goalies should pay. All it does is dumb down this thread.
That wasn't the only opinion he expressed, and that opinion is not why I responded. Saying that we're being petty (which we are) without also saying that he's being petty (which he is) is being deliberately disingenuous.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
That wasn't the only opinion he expressed, and that opinion is not why I responded. Saying that we're being petty (which we are) without also saying that he's being petty (which he is) is being deliberately disingenuous.
The post you replied to he said:
He doesnt like goalie arrogance (which is true, not all goalies obviously) .
He doesnt mind if a goalie doesnt show up in shinny because hockey is still fun without a goalie (which is true) .
You need goalies for leagues (which is true).
Some goalies think their **** doesnt stink (which is true).
He thinks hockey isnt just "shoot on a goalie" (which is true).

His whole point was:

"I don't care for a goalie's attitude who thinks people cannot play without him so he doesn't have to pay." (which is true, alot of goalies do feel like this.)

I dont see how any of this is petty, but i do see how this is:

"It's ironic that you're concerned about goalie arrogance, given that you seem to have more than a fair amount of arrogance yourself."

There are plenty of ways you could have replied to him in a civil manner, all im saying is that your reply is not a good example to set to others being a mod and all.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Hounsy

that is good timing, just got the E-mail that the other goalie in tonights skate had to bail and if anyone knows a goalie ask if he can play.

Any goalies in the Niagara Region out there? Ice time is free.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

People's opinion differ from mine on the equipment issue, which is fine, like I said, I viewed that as a part of it, other's dont, so perhaps I am wrong in that view.

Honestly I dont understand the whole goalie arrogance thing, are their arrogant ******** goalies? Sure. Its not because they're a goalie though, its because they're a dick in general. Just like there are tons of ******** players out there.

Basically it comes down to this, for pickup and open hockeys, you don't run the rink, you're not the one making the decisions whether to charge people or not, so why do you care so much whether I have to pay for open hockey?

And as far as league games go, if you don't run the team, then you should really just keep your mouth shut. I dont know if anyone here has ran a team, I actually haven't, but I know its a lot of work, making calls for people who don't show, collecting $, etc etc. So it should be up to that guy if he wants to charge a goalie or not. If he wants to charge him full, half, etc, that should be his decision. If youre *****ing about goalies paying less, then find a new team is my advice, its honestly none of your business unless you are the guy running the team.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
pld459666

Going in as a team, the total league fee should be divided up equally amongst the members of the team and each has their own amount to pay.

If you are without a goalie, then to entice one to play for you, dropping the "Free" bomb may help.

Pick-up? Goalies do not pay.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
People's opinion differ from mine on the equipment issue, which is fine, like I said, I viewed that as a part of it, other's dont, so perhaps I am wrong in that view.

Honestly I dont understand the whole goalie arrogance thing, are their arrogant ******** goalies? Sure. Its not because they're a goalie though, its because they're a dick in general. Just like there are tons of ******** players out there.

Basically it comes down to this, for pickup and open hockeys, you don't run the rink, you're not the one making the decisions whether to charge people or not, so why do you care so much whether I have to pay for open hockey?

And as far as league games go, if you don't run the team, then you should really just keep your mouth shut. I dont know if anyone here has ran a team, I actually haven't, but I know its a lot of work, making calls for people who don't show, collecting $, etc etc. So it should be up to that guy if he wants to charge a goalie or not. If he wants to charge him full, half, etc, that should be his decision. If youre *****ing about goalies paying less, then find a new team is my advice, its honestly none of your business unless you are the guy running the team.

Dont see anyone here saying goalies should pay for shinny.

What if the guy running the team started charging forwards or defenders more or less? is that none of my business? What if the team has two goalies and one of them is paying and the other is not? is that none of my business?

Why exactly in your opinion should goalies pay less then other players?

Old
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Dont see anyone here saying goalies should pay for shinny.

What if the guy running the team started charging forwards or defenders more or less? is that none of my business? What if the team has two goalies and one of them is paying and the other is not? is that none of my business?

Why exactly in your opinion should goalies pay less then other players?
I'll be damned if I pay to be someone's back-up, ha. I mean it's one thing for a team to have my number to use in a pinch, it's entirely another for a guy to pay to sit and watch someone else play.

Old
09-08-2009, 01:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:

For the most part, I agree with the post, however, if the league fee is a set $3,500.00 and you have 14 players (3 F-lines, 2 sets of D and a goalie) forcing the skaters to pony up the additional $$ should not be the guy running the teams choice. It should be a choice made by the whole team.

In trhe end it's only $20.00 extra per player (of which I would elect to cover if asked) but to say it's one person's decision is incorrect when that decision will financially affect the rest of the team.

It should be a majority rules decision and those that do no like it are free to find other teams.

I played for 3 years (Summer/Fall/Winter) sessions and the goalies always payed their full share of the league fee.

Also in my younger days, playing roller hockey, I ran a team and the first year we were a throw together team. We got along and decided to join as a team the following season. Everyone payed a full share. Following the season the goalie came to me and stated that he would not play for us if he had to pay the full amount. This is after 2 years of paying the full amount.

I told him to take a hike. Now, I probably handled that wrong in that I didn't even think to ask the team how they felt, but I (at that time) felt offended that here's a guy demanding to play for free when the rest of us (who work just as had for their money) were all paying full amount. I should have asked the team what they wanted to do and then walked if they all wanted to cover the goalie. This way there wouldn't have been any un-easiness due to my attitude.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'll be damned if I pay to be someone's back-up, ha. I mean it's one thing for a team to have my number to use in a pinch, it's entirely another for a guy to pay to sit and watch someone else play.
Most of the beer leagues i have played in the goalies rotate if they have two. Dont think any player would pay to sit on the bench.