HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beckham, M.L.S. and Montreal

Old
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
PyrettaBlaze

vCash: 500
Beckham, M.L.S. and Montreal

Don't know if this has been posted already, but it looks like Beckham is interested in owning parts of the Montreal Impact and wants to partner up with Joey Saputo.

Quote:
Beckham, 34, and his management team at 19 Entertainment (led by Simon Fuller) and Creative Artists Agency (led by Jeff Frasco) are interested in being partners with Joey Saputo, the owner of the Montreal Impact.
This would be incredible for the city of Montreal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/sp...r=1&ref=soccer

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:46 AM
habs_pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Don't know if this has been posted already, but it looks like Beckham is interested in owning parts of the Montreal Impact and wants to partner up with Joey Saputo.

This would be incredible for the city of Montreal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/sp...r=1&ref=soccer
Right, that is until he's bored and wants out.

Seriously, it would be cool for the beginning of the franchise and would create a buzz around the team but it depends on the what type of owner he's going to be and how much parts in the team he owns...

I like how the team is currently managed - that is Joey Saputo calling all the shots- and I'm afraid having Beckham around would cause more harm than not.

habs_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Newhabfan

Sounds too messy. The way it is run right now (a rich and passionate owner that built the team from scratch, on his own money, and has 100% control and authority) is still the best way for a durable soccer franchise in the NA.

Saputo is clearly going on the Italian style of play - rather different then the "traditional" English one.

I would only see Beckham as a marketing stunt - not as a decisional factor.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
MoonlightGraham

Anything that would get us into the MLS would be great. I'm really sick of the Impact playing in a sub-par league.

By the way, anyone thinks they should change the name of the team once they're in the MLS? To create a new identity and let people know it's a new league and whatnot? I'd love to have them called L'Olympique de Montréal, since they play next to the Olympic Stadium and to highlight the francophone factor in Quebec. I never liked the name Montreal Impact, it just sounds like a minor league team, and it's too generic, it says nothing about the identity of the team or the city.

MoonlightGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

And a pretty good one at that! Montreal soccer is dangerously close on exploding fan wise. If the city can get the small European communities to follow l'Impact i don't think the olympic stadium will be big enough, the jump in the MLS is maybe what the doctor ordered.
I hope so for Saputo, he deserves it.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
danyhabsfan

maybe he could play for this team too

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
maybe he could play for this team too
LOL, that would be cool. Imagine Becks swinging those crosses in and taking our free kicks.

Claimed Off Waivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Sounds too messy. The way it is run right now (a rich and passionate owner that built the team from scratch, on his own money, and has 100% control and authority) is still the best way for a durable soccer franchise in the NA.

Saputo is clearly going on the Italian style of play - rather different then the "traditional" English one.

Saputo is a great owner, but perhaps some here fail to understand that he is not a soccer coach or a soccer GM ... he's just a owner , and doesn't ''CALL THE SHOTS'' besides hire Nick desantis ... he approves everything desantis does as they are long time friends...

let alone saputo having any involvement in the type of game the montreal impact plays...

for the montreal impact to have an MLS team, they'll have to show the MSL board of gouv that they have a sustainable farm club ... they built l'attak only to be able to apply on an MLS franchise ... and every informed MLS official knows that. Look at Vancouver...they have been providing youngster on the canadian nationnal team on a consistent basis with their farm clum (which was created long before last year) . Their U18 club even beat UBC ... no destroyed UBC after they had just won nationnals 2 years ago. And THAT is the reason why vancouver gets the MLS franchise and not MTL ... because they are investing in development...and the impact hasn't .... they bring players from all the corners of the world, when they could just turn around and keep the quebecers that are leaving to play in europe.

as for beckham, I'd stay as far away from him as possible. He has proved with his proffessional career that he has no sense of belongness and that money and his crazy wife drives his sad life. He is hated amongst galaxy , donovan went public to criticise him for not caring .... he still wants to go back to italy ... what a mess. Who would want him as a owner ... I mean no thanks ...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 09-08-2009 at 12:33 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Would be great for the franchise and I'm sure with Beckham aboard the Impact wouldn't be waiting 3-4 years before getting into the MLS

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:34 PM
D3nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
Anything that would get us into the MLS would be great. I'm really sick of the Impact playing in a sub-par league.

By the way, anyone thinks they should change the name of the team once they're in the MLS? To create a new identity and let people know it's a new league and whatnot? I'd love to have them called L'Olympique de Montréal, since they play next to the Olympic Stadium and to highlight the francophone factor in Quebec. I never liked the name Montreal Impact, it just sounds like a minor league team, and it's too generic, it says nothing about the identity of the team or the city.
I am totally with you on all of that, especially on the Olympique name, they could even wear the Marseille uniforms and it would match the colors of the stands. They would have to take out that huge logo in the South stands though and on VIP seats.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote