HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cherry weighs in on Leafs' season

Old
09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
Simply put - because the leafs signed him to play with the leafs. Not the marlies.

Yeah, there is an inherent risk in my saying this that is exactly the point you made. I still think that it's a pretty safe bet that one of the major points brought up for gustavsson when signing is that he'll be with the big club. Of course, if he bombs then all bets are off. Considering the rep sheet on this guy though, it's pretty unlikely.

It's fair to make your kind of statement given that you know a thing or two about gustavsson. For cherry to make your conclusion after saying he doesn't know anything about gustavsson is laughable.
I'm not so sure about that. I personally want to see Gustavsson do well, and I would hope Leaf fans would want the same. The thing is, Burke has never been shy to put a player in the minors to develop if he is not NHL ready yet. If Gustavsson struggles I am willing to bet Burke would send him down; if he's not ready he's not ready why potetnially ruin a young players confidence. Burke went on to say a while ago, he would have sent Schenn to the minors if he was running the show last year.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
Fair enough.

We'll see how things turn out.

disgruntleddave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Leafs27

vCash: 272
Are he and Burke blind? We don't need goons like Colton Orr. We need Ovechkin- and Crosby-type players; Lecavlier, Briere, Malkin, etc. Guys who can put pucks in the net, not fists in teeth.

Leafs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 08:58 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

wait a minute!

why didn't cherry cry about soldiers dying in afghanistan at the end of that clip?

does this mean cherry doesn't support the troops anymore?

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs27 View Post
Are he and Burke blind? We don't need goons like Colton Orr. We need Ovechkin- and Crosby-type players; Lecavlier, Briere, Malkin, etc. Guys who can put pucks in the net, not fists in teeth.
Ovy had Brashear.
Crosby and Malkin had Godard.
Vinny had Arty.
Briere had the rest of the Flyers and Cote.

Colton Orr serves a purpose.

You think ****ing Ovy and Crosby types grow on ****ing trees?

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 09:07 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
Ovy had Brashear.
Crosby and Malkin had Godard.
Vinny had Arty.
Briere had the rest of the Flyers and Cote.

Colton Orr serves a purpose.

You think ****ing Ovy and Crosby types grow on ****ing trees?
no, the storks drop them off the chimneys.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

Ovy lives down the street; Sidney house sits for me when I go on fishing trips. These guys are a dime-a-dozen. I really don't know why Burke won't sign them.

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 11:09 PM
EdBelfour20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs27 View Post
and how exactly do you propose we acquire Crosby, Ovechkin etc.?

Burke doesn't expect to win the cup because of Colton Orr, but he's a PART of the puzzle, maybe not when we are contenders, but for a rebuilding team he helps give us a style : tough as nails. we may not win a ton of games but the Leafs will be a proud team in 2010-11.

EdBelfour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I often feel like I'm one of the few, if not only Don Cherry supporters around here. Seems to be the big fad to hate on the old guy.

Anyway, I agree mostly with him. And why couldn't MacDonald beat out Gustavsson? Gustavsson for one, has not played a single game in the NHL. While MacDonald has, and played fairly well for the Island last season. And two, it's not as though Gustavsson said he wouldn't play for the Marlies. Actually, he said the opposite, and will do whatever the team needs him to do. It could be that he spends the first season with the Marlies, splitting time with Reimer. I don't believe that, but I also wouldn't be all that shocked.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Muskoka5Ghosts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I often feel like I'm one of the few, if not only Don Cherry supporters around here. Seems to be the big fad to hate on the old guy.

Anyway, I agree mostly with him. And why couldn't MacDonald beat out Gustavsson? Gustavsson for one, has not played a single game in the NHL. While MacDonald has, and played fairly well for the Island last season. And two, it's not as though Gustavsson said he wouldn't play for the Marlies. Actually, he said the opposite, and will do whatever the team needs him to do. It could be that he spends the first season with the Marlies, splitting time with Reimer. I don't believe that, but I also wouldn't be all that shocked.

...and (like i alluded to earlier) toskala could play average to below average (.891 save percentage) forcing wilson to see what macdonald can do for the team.

edit - macdonald could steal the hearts of leaf fans if he comes up big

Muskoka5Ghosts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKaberle View Post
...and (like i alluded to earlier) toskala could play average to below average (.891 save percentage) forcing wilson to see what macdonald can do for the team.

edit - macdonald could steal the hearts of leaf fans if he comes up big
Very possible, won't argue there.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
MiniBurke

I like Don Cherry because he is amusing, I don't respect his hockey opinion though, and I'll tell you why.

When I was in High school most of the Belleville bulls went to our high school. I played AAA bantam hockey with their Captain (Andrew Brown) some of them would date friends of mine, so I would bump into them outside of school from time to time. They traded for a goalie from the missisaga Ice dogs his name was Micheal Mole. At one of the partys another friend of mine who also played with Brown in AAA was asking Mole what it was like playing for Cherry. (there team was terrible and Cherry coached for a while trying to turn things around) Mole said that Cherry was bar none one of the worst coaches he ever had! He didn't know how to run practices, drills were bad, etc. He said something like it was comparible to having a drunk uncle coach a house league team.

Also I remeber "The Hour " interview with Sean Avery. I know Avery seems literally crazy at times, but watch that interview. He says it Best about Cherry. "he really doesn't know **** about hockey" I respect Avery's opinion partlly because it coincides with what mole was telling us.

I love the guy, because he is so devoted to our soldiers, is a very proud Canadian, and not affraid to speak what he really thinks. Even though it can sometimes have very little validity. He's part entertainer/business man/braodcaster. You guys might not agree with me but thats my 2 cents on the Don

MiniBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

McDonald was aquired because he has some NHL experience.seems like everyone is jumping the gun & pencilled in Gustov as the #2 goalie.he will have to earn it & now there are 3 goalies in the mix.not saying Gustov will not be#2 but we have to wait & see what happens at camp.

i like Don Cherry & there's nothing wrong with wearing his heart on his sleeve but the bashing of Europeans (who don't play for the Leafs) is getting very,very old.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Decker

Cherry hate will always exist.

@MiniBurke: Avery and your buddy share the same opinion of Cherry's practice drills, but it's Avery. He doesn't know **** about **** (except maybe how to put together a fancy wardrobe). He's a player that's on his last legs in finding a job in the NHL. He sure knows hockey!

Anyway...Cherry is a great Canadian, a great entertainer, and a great bit of filling for HNiC. Ron and Don make a great duo. Ron keeps Don in line and Don let's Ron not hide in his shell so much.

If you know anyone that's passionate about anything you'll know that they get a little retarded here and there, but fundamentally they're good people!

Cherry contributes more than he takes away.

Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
MiniBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Cherry hate will always exist.

@MiniBurke: Avery and your buddy share the same opinion of Cherry's practice drills, but it's Avery. He doesn't know **** about **** (except maybe how to put together a fancy wardrobe). He's a player that's on his last legs in finding a job in the NHL. He sure knows hockey!

Anyway...Cherry is a great Canadian, a great entertainer, and a great bit of filling for HNiC. Ron and Don make a great duo. Ron keeps Don in line and Don let's Ron not hide in his shell so much.

If you know anyone that's passionate about anything you'll know that they get a little retarded here and there, but fundamentally they're good people!

Cherry contributes more than he takes away.
I didn't say that I don't like Don Cherry. I simply stated that I don't respect his small minded opinions. He good at what he does...Keeping us entertained for 10minutes a week. But if he is so hockey savy then why hasn't he been named an NHL coach in the last 30 some years. REAL hockey executives know he's full of hot air.

MiniBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Da Baller View Post
QFT.

October 1st couldn't come any faster, it's going to be exciting throwing the Habs around the rink.
I think winning hockey games is more fun.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think winning hockey games is more fun.
Well, obviously. But that was a given with the "throwing around".

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
HariKari

It's hard to take Don seriously when he's so blinded by his bias.

I get why he maybe wouldn't like Ovechkin, he's a show off, sure. But why call out the Detroit Red Wings? He doesn't like the way Lidstrom plays, let's ignore all the Norris trophies as the leagues best defenceman. Calls Datsyuk a cheap shot artist who hits from behind, let's ignore all the Lady Byngs. How would he feel about these guys if they were on the Leafs eh?

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
It's hard to take Don seriously when he's so blinded by his bias.

I get why he maybe wouldn't like Ovechkin, he's a show off, sure. But why call out the Detroit Red Wings? He doesn't like the way Lidstrom plays, let's ignore all the Norris trophies as the leagues best defenceman. Calls Datsyuk a cheap shot artist who hits from behind, let's ignore all the Lady Byngs. How would he feel about these guys if they were on the Leafs eh?
He would feel the same way. He has called out Grabieovski and Pokahrsky the same way.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Mr Scarface*

Thug Team is better than a team full of softies and leftys.

Btw, where is that TSN preview's Leafs season thread??? ??? It popped out here like yesterday or day before that.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post

I like the old guy. I don't take him very seriously due to all the bravado, but I still find him highly entertaining.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote