HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger's Matt Gilroy looking forward to earning a roster spot

Old
09-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Reader

vCash: 500
Ranger's Matt Gilroy looking forward to earning a roster spot

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=497619

"He's got a fair whack at this thing. We have, I think, penciled in four 'D' and I'm not sure where those four 'D' will fit, but there are a couple of wide-open spots there and it's important that we develop some young defensemen. He's going to get a chance, just like a number of other people.
" -- John Tortorellala

ImmortalRanger, there is no need to be sarcastic, my usual web browser, Camino on a Mac, for some reason goes crazy when typing into online forms like these message board edits, it is impossible to type more than a minimum number of characters.

Last edited by Reader: 09-06-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

He's got a good attitude, and despite what his contract may suggest I won't be sold on this kid until he actually makes the team. I have extreme skepticism when it comes to this guy. Not that he isnt a decent player, just that I think a lot of people expect him to jump right in and be in the 3rd pairing and thats the end of the story.

Im concerned how he will hold up for an entire NHL season as well. If he does make the team I dont expect him to play the full season. I will be very surprised if he does. An 82 (+ hopefully) game NHL season with all the traveling and high pace of play is very different from the 40+ game season in college, even at the D1 level.

Good luck to Gilroy though, I hope he proves me wrong.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
allstarr425

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
He's got a good attitude, and despite what his contract may suggest I won't be sold on this kid until he actually makes the team. I have extreme skepticism when it comes to this guy. Not that he isnt a decent player, just that I think a lot of people expect him to jump right in and be in the 3rd pairing and thats the end of the story.

Im concerned how he will hold up for an entire NHL season as well. If he does make the team I dont expect him to play the full season. I will be very surprised if he does. An 82 (+ hopefully) game NHL season with all the traveling and high pace of play is very different from the 40+ game season in college, even at the D1 level.

Makes a lot of sense... I hope he proves you wrong too

allstarr425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:07 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:

i agree with all of this. i do think he ends up making the team but we'll need a solid #7 guy on the roster. even if gilroy makes it, we shouldn't expect him to play 70 games...

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
ThirdEye

Any rookie defenseman in the Atlantic Division will have a tough time this year. We have to face the Penguins, Devils, and Philly more than 20 times, and Washington 4.

It's almost not realistic to think that Gilroy will have a great season. I know he'll only be the 5th or 6th defenseman, but still... he's going to be made to look silly many, many times this season.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

By all accounts, he is in great physical shape. It's his defensive play against powerhouse offensive teams and players that worries me the most, rather than if he'll hold up in the NHL's 82 game schedule.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Because he played in the NCAA and not the ovrrated CHL, that means he can't play a full NHL season?

Unlik in the CHL, players in college have real responsibilities. They have to maintain grade point averages to be eligible, they have to live on their own (not with a housing family like the CHL). They have to worry about bills, books, food, and everything else on their own. Plus handle the media, travel, practices, tournaments, and miniature celebrity status on campus.

In the CHL they have to worry about hockey and basically that's it.

People REALLY overrate the CHL in comparison to NCAA.

Gilroy has been In the spotlight for a while now. He has risen to the challenge. He won prestegeous awards. He lead his team to a National Championship. He has been living like an adult for a while now.

To say he won't be able to handle being pampered in charter jets and NHL facilities is a little off.

As long as he stays in shape, and NHL trainers make it impossible not to, he will be fine. It will take an ajustment period to the speed of the game and better players. But he will be able to handle all of the off ice stuff.

NCAA hockey gets undervalued too much.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

A lot can happen but I expect he's going to play at least a significant number of games for us this season barring injury. The comments about him being able to push the play up the ice are significant to me (in respect to Tortorella's kind of attacking game plan)--even if he struggles with the defensive end. The Rangers need a d-man who can control and move the play better than the likes of Redden and Rozsival.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think he will play a minimum of 60 games. If he begins to run out of steam, he can get an occasional breather with Sangs getting his cup of tea for a few games or our #7 (Heineken, Potter or Sauer) getting into a few more games.

Certainly, at some point after the All-Star break when everyone is healthy there is no reason why he shouldn't sit and watch one game at a time a half dozen times if he needs it.

But considering that we have both the All-Star and the Olympic breaks, he may not need it.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Because he played in the NCAA and not the ovrrated CHL, that means he can't play a full NHL season?

Unlik in the CHL, players in college have real responsibilities. They have to maintain grade point averages to be eligible, they have to live on their own (not with a housing family like the CHL). They have to worry about bills, books, food, and everything else on their own. Plus handle the media, travel, practices, tournaments, and miniature celebrity status on campus.

In the CHL they have to worry about hockey and basically that's it.

People REALLY overrate the CHL in comparison to NCAA.

Gilroy has been In the spotlight for a while now. He has risen to the challenge. He won prestegeous awards. He lead his team to a National Championship. He has been living like an adult for a while now.

To say he won't be able to handle being pampered in charter jets and NHL facilities is a little off.

As long as he stays in shape, and NHL trainers make it impossible not to, he will be fine. It will take an ajustment period to the speed of the game and better players. But he will be able to handle all of the off ice stuff.

NCAA hockey gets undervalued too much.
NCAA hockey does get undervalued a lot but the problem that most people are probably pointing out is that the work load is dramatically increased from NCAA to NHL... just interms of games, not even work ethic, or the rigors of travel. All that stuff has to be taken into account. I see him panning of slightly after 60 games, and then probably settling down and pacing himself until play offs. Athletes tend to try to reserve steam like that a lot especially young ones before the play-offs.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I agree 100%. I think will probably make the team but personally I'm not sure he should. I've seen the guy play a ton and he is average at best defensively - I guarantee that if the name on the back of his jersey was Redden or if he was signed to a $5M contract he would be booed out of MSG immediately. People talk about his huge senior year but fail to realize he was one of the oldest players in the NCAA last season and that it was an extremely weak year for college hockey.

That said he's a great story and seems like a great kid so hopefully he proves me wrong.

09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Also... If the team is concerned whether he will be able to play a full 82+ game season, Torts can just rotate 5-6-7 defensemen until Thanksgiving or even Christmas.

That would give him about 8-10 fewer games early in the season. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. It would keep our 5-6 defensemen fresher for the battles later in the year, while giving our #7 defenseman more experience.

It would also be a real fight for a top 6 spot. For those who aren't close (those who can't even win the #7 spot), preseason is enough, and they should go down to Hartford to improve.

But for a guy who comes thiiiiis close to wind up sitting on the bench isn't fair either considering that all of them will be judged essentially on the preseason performance against less than first string opposition in preseason games.

So all 3 rookies would have a real shot to prove themselves in 17-18 actual NHL games.

Old
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:

I am skeptic about this kid too and I hope he proves everyone who is skeptic of him wrong. BUT Sather didn't sign him for $1.7 million a season so he can play on the Wolf Pack. If he doesn't make the team at the start of the season he will work his way in. I don't think he intended to pay nearly $2 million a season for an AHL player.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 03:57 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I am skeptic about this kid too and I hope he proves everyone who is skeptic of him wrong. BUT Sather didn't sign him for $1.7 million a season so he can play on the Wolf Pack. If he doesn't make the team at the start of the season he will work his way in. I don't think he intended to pay nearly $2 million a season for an AHL player.
I'm sure he didn't intend to pay Wade Redden $6.5M to be a number 3-4 dman either. I don't think that's a fair way to judge Gilroy's ability.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I'm sure he didn't intend to pay Wade Redden $6.5M to be a number 3-4 dman either. I don't think that's a fair way to judge Gilroy's ability.
Yeah, at the end of the day if the kid cant play defense in the NHL, he cant play defense in the NHL! He isnt magically ok just because of the contract.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm just as excited as anyone when it comes to what Gilroy can bring to the Rangers. I hate to be a downer or super pessimistic about it - i'm just trying to temper some of what I feel is a little unnecessary enthusiasm at this point.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Yeah, at the end of the day if the kid cant play defense in the NHL, he cant play defense in the NHL! He isnt magically ok just because of the contract.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm just as excited as anyone when it comes to what Gilroy can bring to the Rangers. I hate to be a downer or super pessimistic about it - i'm just trying to temper some of what I feel is a little unnecessary enthusiasm at this point.
I agree 100%. If you cannot cut it at an NHL level you cannot cut it. I personally think that he will have an advantage getting a roster spot over the other contending defense men because of his contract though. Gilroy not making the team when signing a two year $3.4 million contract would be Sather admitting he made another mistake signing a particular player to a bloated contract (albeit a small contract). For that reason, I think Gilroy will get a little more favoritism from Torts come Spring Training.

He already admitted, more or less, that he made a mistake signing Gomez to that beefy contract. The hockey world and community all know he made mistakes signing Chris Drury to a $7 million contract and Redden to a $6.5 million contract. People even look at Gaborik signing for $7.5 million as a gamble. Sure, he did a good job as a GM this Summer but the past few years he has done a horrible job come free agency. I don't think he will want to admit to making another mistake signing a player, just yet, and tell Torts to give Gilroy a little bit of a push to make the team.

But I agree. I don't want a player who isn't going to be able to contribute at the NHL level. I hope he can though. I've never seen him play but from what I've read he has a lot of potential. That's just my two cents.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
He already admitted, more or less, that he made a mistake signing Gomez to that beefy contract.
I don't know, I am very happy with the way Gomez worked out. He was a solid player for us for 2 years, and we wouldn't have anything better during that time. What was the other option? Briere? Nylander?

Then we got a solid second liner who's only 26 years old plus a top prospect (McD), as well as a second-tier prospect (Valentenko).

If we could sign another guy right now whom we can later flip for a second liner and a pair of prospects, I would jump all over it.

Gomez worked out really well, I'd say.

Man, if we could flip Drury for a young second liner and a top forward prospect, we'd be in amazing shape. Hell, if we could flip Drury for a prospect with a decent shot to be a top-6 forward, I'd be ecstatic.

Old
09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I don't know, I am very happy with the way Gomez worked out. He was a solid player for us for 2 years, and we wouldn't have anything better during that time. What was the other option? Briere? Nylander?

Then we got a solid second liner who's only 26 years old plus a top prospect (McD), as well as a second-tier prospect (Valentenko).

If we could sign another guy right now whom we can later flip for a second liner and a pair of prospects, I would jump all over it.

Gomez worked out really well, I'd say.

Man, if we could flip Drury for a young second liner and a top forward prospect, we'd be in amazing shape. Hell, if we could flip Drury for a prospect with a decent shot to be a top-6 forward, I'd be ecstatic.
No kidding. When you can deal a UFA signing at market price for a RFA forward and prospects, you are essentially getting something for nothing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Honu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
People talk about his huge senior year but fail to realize he was one of the oldest players in the NCAA last season and that it was an extremely weak year for college hockey.
For what it's worth, Gilroy was also a second team All-American as a sophomore and a first team All-American as a junior.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I agree 100%. If you cannot cut it at an NHL level you cannot cut it. I personally think that he will have an advantage getting a roster spot over the other contending defensemen because of his contract though.
Watch him earn that spot in camp by outplaying his competition...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote