HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Bankruptcy battle is off-season distraction: Season Preview

Old
09-09-2009, 01:32 AM
DD88

vCash: 500
Aside from the (now edited) Tikhonov error, I still see no reason why this team won't finish at the bottom, or near the bottom, of the West.

DD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins View Post
Aside from the (now edited) Tikhonov error, I still see no reason why this team won't finish at the bottom, or near the bottom, of the West.
Pretty sure we dumped a lot of trash, added to the D corps, and will have another year of seasoning for the players. A non-Gretzky coach will be worth 4-5 spots in the West, easily. A team with Bryzgalov, Doan, Michalek and Tikonen is just not going to finish last. I'd like to hear why you think Colorado is above us, personally.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
He sucks. I suggest we put him in a bundle to acquire Milkin.
Milkin. Pfft...Milkin isn't even the first line center on his team. I'd rather put together a package for Crosnitz.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Pretty sure we dumped a lot of trash, added to the D corps, and will have another year of seasoning for the players. A non-Gretzky coach will be worth 4-5 spots in the West, easily. A team with Bryzgalov, Doan, Michalek and Tikonen is just not going to finish last. I'd like to hear why you think Colorado is above us, personally.
Don't forget about Rldmn Vrbltravsky!

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:43 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Don't forget about Rldmn Vrbltravsky!
The fugitive winger?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post

Brilliant!

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:49 AM
yakko

Quote:
I know there were only a few, but you might try reading the posts in this thread that weren't just making fun of you. Of course, I didn't bother to read your article because that would clearly be a waste of time. Thanks for kicking off the entertainment though. It's been priceless.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:51 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
Milkin. Pfft...Milkin isn't even the first line center on his team. I'd rather put together a package for Crosnitz.
I like that idea. I was also thinking we could go after Kena. He won't help our need for a centerman, but he could go well with Vrbltravsky. We'd have two thirds of a fugitive line!

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Of course you can't see a reason, you can't even see our number one defenseman.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:47 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I wonder how that Kyle Tueller guy is looking.
Pyle Murris and Keter Tueller are going to be one hell of a dynamic duo.

Old
09-09-2009, 03:55 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Pyle Murris and Keter Tueller are going to be one hell of a dynamic duo.
Michael Bodecker is also going to be pretty good methinks.

Last edited by hao chi: 09-09-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old
09-09-2009, 03:58 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Michael Bodecker is also going to pretty good methinks.
Hey everyone, it's the PBP guy from the Columbus Blue Jackets! He'll set the record straight on Mickaylick for us!

Old
09-09-2009, 04:10 AM
hao chi

Don't even get me started on Mickaylick. He's lazy, injury prone, and too scared to get involved in the play. I felt horrible for Hail when he was forced to pair up with Mickaylick.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:41 AM
k1llua

What about Handle? That guy is a complete mystery to me.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

All of this side splitting action aside I'd still like this Cory fella to go through the Yotes and Avs rosters in detail and explain how Colorado stacks up better.

Blame your opinion on the turmoil, sure, but don't blame it on an improved roster that didn't finish 15th last year.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:04 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I guess that's the only benefit of the partner program. Ever since they started that thing every Joe schmo posts his website offering 2 cents on their daily NHL musings. At least it can be entertaining from time to time.
don't you mean Joe Shlemko

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

You guys are missing the point entirely.

We'll get nowhere in the West without a consistent season from our star goaltender, Ilbert Myxlplyx.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
All of this side splitting action aside I'd still like this Cory fella to go through the Yotes and Avs rosters in detail and explain how Colorado stacks up better.

Blame your opinion on the turmoil, sure, but don't blame it on an improved roster that didn't finish 15th last year.
Well, I guess it could happen. I mean there are some points I could argue for it, but really, that's Mr. Wilcox's job, in my opinion. If he's going to come on to our board, and post an error filled, clearly poorly researched, and even more poorly thought out article, claiming we'll be the worst team in our conference, maybe he should provide something of a reason in his actual article. Something beyond Bankruptcy battle is off-season distraction: Season Preview, where he basically contradicts his whole point right in the freaking title. After Wilcox goes, I'll take a turn at arguing why we may be the worst team in the conference, next season.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
You guys are missing the point entirely.

We'll get nowhere in the West without a consistent season from our star goaltender, Ilbert Myxlplyx.
didn't we draft him in the 11th round the year we drafted Fredrik Shoestrome

I know I shouldn't say anything.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
You'll have to excuse us for jumping all over you as if you intentionally misspelled Tikhonov and omitted Michalek from your writeup to piss us off, but it hasn't exactly been a banner offseason for us...and it could turn even worse tomorrow. I have to agree with everyone who is questioning why you believe Colorado will finish ahead of the Coyotes, however that still puts them at, or near the bottom, which brings up another point...the Western conference is tough, and finishing near the bottom doesn't necessarily show the true picture. I think you have to look at the points a team earns, the primary reason I think the Avalanche showed last year they were truly a poor team, while the Coyotes finished the season relatively strongly, with 2 players who they acquired at the deadline making significant contributions, who will get top 6 forward minutes this season, which shows that the team may in fact be on the verge of marked improvements. I guess what I'm saying is that the teams who finish in spots 9 to 14 may not be that bad of teams, and could likely all finish within 6 pts of the 8th place team....I understand if you think the Coyotes might finish 14th, but I'd like to hear that A) it's an extremely tough conference, and B) with some possible improvements from the young talent you speak of, that the team could challenge for the 8th playoff spot.

Here's my writeup:

When assessing the 2009-10 season for such a young and talented team, the focus on the Phoenix Coyotes should be on the team, not the future location of the team.

General Manager Don Maloney had a difficult task this off-season. While Maloney had an approved budget to work with, and some room to sign some players, he was at a disadvantage given the off-ice ownership battle. There were rumours Alex Tanguay was negotiating with the team, along with rumours that a contract could not be reached until the ownership was settled. As Tanguay ended up signing in Tampa at a bargain $2.5M 1 year deal, it's quite possible, Maloney could have reached a deal with him if not for off-ice conditions.

Maloney needs to assemble a competitive team to ice for a fan base wondering whether the team might not be located in Phoenix for the long term. Tanguay would have certainly helped, being a legit top line winger. Without Tanguay, Maloney will have to depend on talented youth, the return to form of Radim Vrbata or Peter Prucha, and the untapped potential of Scottie Upshall, who scored 8 goals in 19 games after being acquired at last years trade deadline.

The most significant losses for the Coyotes during the offseason were Steven Reinprecht (traded to Florida for Stefan Meyer) and Enver Lisin (traded to NY Rangers for Lauri Korpikoski). Fan favorite Rhino should not be missed as Matthew Lombardi, is a younger, quicker (not to mention cheaper) version. Lisin might be a superstar in the making, but there were concerns about his potential to return to Russia, and Korpikoski brings much needed checking and PK skills to a team which struggled in both areas last season. He is also a former Maloney draft pick.

Quite possibly the biggest weakness for the Coyotes last season was their faceoff percentage. Free-Agent signee Vernon Fiddler will make significant contributions towards that area, and should be looked upon to take almost every critical defensive-zone faceoff. Conversely, Matthew Lombardi showed good faceoff skills with the Coyotes last season, and should help in critical offensive-zone situations, notably the power-play which coincidentally was another primary weakness for the desert dogs last season.

Other than the talented youth of the Coyotes, the biggest wildcard for the team is fugitive winger Radim Vrbata, who was acquired from Tampa Bay in deal which also helped the Coyotes rid themselves of 2 players, Todd Fedoruk & David Hale, who didn't provide the things management was hoping they would provide when they were signed the previous offseason. In addition to offense, Maloney is also hoping Vrbata will help the PK, and continue to provide the mentorship to Martin Hanzal he established in his first go around with the team.

Speaking of Hanzal, he will continue to match up against the top centers of the opposition, something he did extremely well as a rookie, improved upon his sophmore season (most notably against Joe Thornton), and should continue the upcoming season. While is offensive production has been adequate, the Coyote are hoping he will improve that part of his game this year.

The Coyotes own a handful of young forwards who will all look to improve on their rookie/sophomore seasons, including Mikkel Boedker, Viktor Tikhonov, Peter Mueller, and Martin Hanzal. At this time, third overall pick in 2007, Kyle Turris, will have to show he has the size/strength to compete against NHL players, or he may see more playing time on a regular basis in the AHL for the 2009-10 season.

Matthew Lombardi, acquired in the Olli Jokinen trade, will serve as the #1 centre, although not necessarily on the #1 line given his chemistry with Scottie Upshall last season. Lombardi scored 16 points in 19 games last year with the Coyotes and the team will see how that translates over a full season. Captain Shane Doan, whose line will be considered the #1 line, is expected to lead the team in scoring, energy, effort, and everything else. Possible linemates for Doan are Peter Mueller, Vrbata, Prucha, Boedker, Turris, and maybe Lombardi. The offseason debacle must be hitting Doan harder than anyone as he is the face of the franchise, and the one who takes responsibility for failure. Look for a very determined captain to hit the ice this season.

Phoenix’s blueline took a hit at the trade deadline when Derek Morris was traded for Peter Prucha and some spare parts who were let go during the offseason. His leadership, toughness, and crisp passes will be missed, but like most good defensive groups, what they lost will be absorbed by this years version of the defense. The 2009-10 version is highlighted by the underrated, underappreciated, often-ignored Zbynek Michalek who quietly led the NHL in shot-blocking last season, but more importantly led the Coyotes defensive core the entire 2008-09 season. Paired with Kurt Sauer, who was signed to a bargain 4-year contract by Maloney the previous offseason, the pair fared extremely well against the most dangerous NHL forwards last season, including Sydney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, and Zetterburg/Datsyuk. Seasoned Ed Jovanovski leads the remaining defensemen, including Keith Yandle, another young player who could breakout this season, and summer additions Adrian Aucoin, Jim Vandermeer, Sami Lepisto. While questions abound in the forward ranks, the defense is solid, if yet unspectacular (much like their leader Zbynek)

Entering his second full season as a #1 goaltender, Ilya Bryzgalov will be the Coyotes most valuable player (success or fail), as he will likely determine whether the Coyotes reach the playoffs. Jason LaBarbera was added during the offseason.

From the intangibles department, the team lost players like Dan Carcillo, Todd Fedoruk, and Brian McGrattan. Those types of players will be replaced by some combination of Aaron Downey, Beastly Mitch Fritz, or possibly someone else. Carcillo's act was sometimes brilliant, and just as often costly. He will be missed and he will not be missed.

The only significant difference between this years version of the Coyotes and the previous season, is the loss of Olli Jokinen. However, that was an experiment that seemingly failed, and to date hasn't worked extremely well in Calgary either.

Judging by the performances last year of Lombardi and Upshall; Radim Vrbata's goal-scoring during his first stint with the Coyotes; the potential of the young talented forwards to improve; a stong defensive unit; and, a legit #1 goalie who desperately wants to lead his team to the playoffs, this could be the year the Coyotes make the playoffs. They may need to make the playoffs this year, and if they don't, when they do, it may be in another state.

Realistic Prediction: 10th in West (2 pts within the 8th spot)
Homer Prediction: anywhere 6th to 8th - top 5 go to
wings, sharks, hawks, flames, canucks...crapshoot after that....if Yotes are close at deadline, a top prospect will be dealt to get someone who will insure a playoff finish.

logic behind realistic prediction:
Avalanche are a bad team
Kings defense is a year away, Smyth=injured, goalie?
Stars - New coach will hurt, loss of Modano/Zubov, Turco will implode
Wild - loss of Lemaire and system will put team back a few years
one of BlueJackets, Blues, Predators, Ducks, Oilers will finish behind Yotes...if 3 of those team finish behind them the Yote are in the playoffs...

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Realistic Prediction: 10th in West (2 pts within the 8th spot)
Homer Prediction: anywhere 6th to 8th - top 5 go to
wings, sharks, hawks, flames, canucks...crapshoot after that....if Yotes are close at deadline, a top prospect will be dealt to get someone who will insure a playoff finish.[/I]

logic behind realistic prediction:
Avalanche are a bad team
Kings defense is a year away, Smyth=injured, goalie?
Stars - New coach will hurt, loss of Modano/Zubov, Turco will implode
Wild - loss of Lemaire and system will put team back a few years
one of BlueJackets, Blues, Predators, Ducks, Oilers will finish behind Yotes...if 3 of those team finish behind them the Yote are in the playoffs...
You never really know with these things, but I think tenth is a little generous.

Colorado hasn't improved, really. I mean, they've got a new coach and a new GM, so who knows how that's going to work out, but as far as players go, they've basically lost Smyth and added Duchene. Also, they've now got Anderson to possibly replace Budaj. Anderson definitely has some potential, but he's unproven. He'd have to be one of the main story lines of the entire NHL season for the Avs to improve significantly, I would think. It's never a good idea to count on things like that. Quincey is a solid addition to the blue line, too, but they were the worst last year, I don't know if they've really gotten all that better.

Nashville will have Sullivan back. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of difference. Continued progression from Pekka Rinne is a must. They were the tenth place team, last year, with eighty eight points. The team remains largely the same.

Dallas is extremely tought to call. Morrow was out all season. That should change this season, and be enough for a huge improvement. Also, no Avery. At the same time, who knows how the coaching change will affect things. Tippett seems decent and Crawford seems like he sucks. Also, Turco was terrible, last year. Can he get back on track? Also, Brad Richards missed twenty six games. Yes, they've lost Zubov, but he missed 72 games, last season, anyway, so it's not like his absence is going to be something new. I really like the Skrastins signing, and Niskanen is really going to have to step up. In any event, I think Morrow and Richards staying healthy while Turco rebounds a bit will make up for Crawford, in a big way. I'm not sure I see Dallas in the playoffs, but I could certainly see them finishing ahead of us again.

Edmonton is also kind of hard to predict. New coaching staff could go either way. Also, a brand new starting goalie. Will Khabby let off the gas with his new long-term deal? Also, they'll have a top defenseman back, in Visnovsky who missed nearly half of last year. Like Dallas, the playoffs are far from a foregone conclusion, but bested the Coyotes shouldn't be too tall an order.

LA should improve, by how much, I have no idea.

Minny will have Brent Burns back, and perhaps Havlat will be healthier than Gaborik was. Wholesale changes in coaching and management could really affect things either way.

I like Columbus and St. Louis a lot. A lot. I think both will improve significantly.

Anaheim has gone through some big changes, but I still think they're better than Phoenix.

Obviously Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, Chicago, and Calgary are clearly better.

I'm thinking ninth is our best case scenario and fourteenth is about the worst.

I'm not worried about Colorado and I'm don't think we have much of a shot against Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, Chicago, Calgary, St. Louis, Columbus or Anaheim.

So I guess it comes down to how many of Nashville, Dallas, LA, Edmonton, and Minnesota we'll be better than. I really don't think it will be all five. One or two, is my guess.

My guess is we finish at twelve or thirteen, which is where we were last season.

Last edited by rt: 09-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
RR

Quote:
Michael Bodecker is also going to be pretty good methinks.
Not easy to make the transition from MLB pitcher to an NHL winger, especially at his age.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Not easy to make the transition from MLB pitcher to an NHL winger, especially at his age.
O ye of little faith. Within 2-3 seasons, Bodecker will be second in touchdowns on this team.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
O ye of little faith. Within 2-3 seasons, Bodecker will be second in touchdowns on this team.
Squadron. Not team, squadron.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
k1llua

The Nye Mets are my favorite squadron.