HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Predators field a team at Traverse City?

View Poll Results: Should the Predators field a team at the Traverse City Prospects Tournament?
Yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Should the Predators field a team at Traverse City?

For those that don't know, Traverse City is home to an annual prospects tournament where teams of NHL prospects compete against one another. It's largely an exhibition tournament, but it can give coaches and scouts an idea of what players need to work on, seeing them on North American ice and getting some real work in before they get to training camp and start working with the big boys.

I know we're slated to play rookie games against the Thrashers again this year, but those are during training camp, when the rookies are kind of on the back burner. I just feel like this would be a great way to generate some exposure for some of our prospects and get them some additional development time with the coaching staff.

What do YOU think?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

well, of course.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Absolutely. But what is the catch? Surely there is a reason not to do it. Or perhaps we never got an invite? heh

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Absolutely. But what is the catch? Surely there is a reason not to do it. Or perhaps we never got an invite? heh
The only reason I could think of is a potential eligibility issue. We draft HEAVILY from the NCAA, especially on forwards. I wonder if they can't participate in an amateur competition of that nature.

Old
09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I think we used to send Rookies up there. But stopped like 5-6 years ago. I don't know why they stopped going.

Might as well send them. If every other team in our division is going we might as well go, too. If for nothing else than to scout our rookies vs the rest of the division rookies.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
I think we used to send Rookies up there. But stopped like 5-6 years ago. I don't know why they stopped going.

Might as well send them. If every other team in our division is going we might as well go, too. If for nothing else than to scout our rookies vs the rest of the division rookies.
It would make sense. Maybe it doesn't fit in our budget as modest/low cost as it would be. Or we aren't invited? All I can see. I have no idea on NHL rules of practice days or tourneys allowed for prospects. Would it somehow reduce days or camps allowed elsewhere?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The only reason I could think of is a potential eligibility issue. We draft HEAVILY from the NCAA, especially on forwards. I wonder if they can't participate in an amateur competition of that nature.
They could participate in a tournament of this nature if they paid their own way, however this tournament takes place during the school year and would therefore conflict with the players academic responsibilities and would put their NCAA careers in jeopardy.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
PredsMan

Yes, we used to send a team up there, but a few years ago we pulled out...IIRC Poile seemed to think their time could be better spent in other ways...I'll see if I can find a quote

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
Yes, we used to send a team up there, but a few years ago we pulled out...IIRC Poile seemed to think their time could be better spent in other ways...I'll see if I can find a quote
Like sitting on their *****?

Old
09-09-2009, 07:22 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Let 'em go to Traverse City for sure.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Jarnberg

With the way the ownership and management group has been talking (recently as of the skate of the union), I think the team will shift more resources to prospect development and scouting. I could see the team sending a prospect team up in the future.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
With the way the ownership and management group has been talking (recently as of the skate of the union), I think the team will shift more resources to prospect development and scouting. I could see the team sending a prospect team up in the future.
I think it is something that might actively be talked about and possibly happen again in the near future since our contract is up with Atlanta after this season and I think the rookie preseason games have thus far been a big success.

The organization really is pouring a lot of resources into prospect development and it has been paying off. One of the themes that was very noticeable in all of the interviews with the prospects this summer was how "first-rate", "top-notch", and "professional" their camp experience was. The wide range of topics and activities thrown at them is really a great mix and the size of the camp was noticeably larger this season than in the past few years.

With the addition of Gelinas to the organzation and Freeman and Poile talking about the "Predator Way" at the Skate of the Union address, I really think that the entire organization is being evaluated and improved upon daily. I've been very pleased with the direction of the franchise under the current ownership group and hope that it continues in the right direction.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Unless Nashville helps organize a southern version of it so that the prospects form the southern half of the country can play and save the southern teams a lot in travel money.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The organization really is pouring a lot of resources into prospect development and it has been paying off.

With the addition of Gelinas to the organzation and Freeman and Poile talking about the "Predator Way" at the Skate of the Union address, I really think that the entire organization is being evaluated and improved upon daily. I've been very pleased with the direction of the franchise under the current ownership group and hope that it continues in the right direction.
You must be wrong. I have it on a good source that the Predators management is "shaky".

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Unless Nashville helps organize a southern version of it so that the prospects form the southern half of the country can play and save the southern teams a lot in travel money.
Carolina, Atlanta, Dallas, and St. Louis all play in the tournament.

Old
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Carolina, Atlanta, Dallas, and St. Louis all play in the tournament.
And it might be cheaper for a northern location simply because you are flying the prospects out from Canada and northern locals.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:43 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
You must be wrong. I have it on a good source that the Predators management is "shaky".
yeah, dont you guys get canadian media coverage, for shame.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote