HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kessel File-Volume 2 - Phil Wants Out of Beantown

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2009, 11:22 AM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
I don't think there's any chance at all of Savard coming with Kessel.

On a side note, Savard wanted badly to sign with the Leafs when his last contract was up but there was no interest. I for one, really wanted the Leafs to sign him but I was shot down by most people here because I was told the only reason he was putting up points was because of Hossa and Kovalchuk. Obviously stupid but that's the way some people think I guess.
Savard had a history of not being in shape, complaining about ice time, and poor defensive play. These things were obviously a factor around the league because why else would he only get $4 million and 4 years after scoring 97 points? Maybe he saw the light in Boston but there were reasons for people not being gung ho about signing Savard.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
I don't think there's any chance at all of Savard coming with Kessel.

On a side note, Savard wanted badly to sign with the Leafs when his last contract was up but there was no interest. I for one, really wanted the Leafs to sign him but I was shot down by most people here because I was told the only reason he was putting up points was because of Hossa and Kovalchuk. Obviously stupid but that's the way some people think I guess.
I was one of those people ...got proved wrong there!

Old
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Savard had a history of not being in shape, complaining about ice time, and poor defensive play. These things were obviously a factor around the league because why else would he only get $4 million and 4 years after scoring 97 points? Maybe he saw the light in Boston but there were reasons for people not being gung ho about signing Savard.
Complaining about ice time was probably the best thing he ever did because it got him the hell out of Calgary and he's done pretty well since then.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Complaining about ice time was probably the best thing he ever did because it got him the hell out of Calgary and he's done pretty well since then.
Savard's discontent stemmed from Calgary bringing in Craig Conroy who they put on Iginla's line and bumped him down to the second line. Savard left town and Calgary made it to the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals the season afterwards.

The Leafs as a team has outscored Boston since Savard signed there so offence was never the issue and Burke by his moves looks to agree.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindfox View Post
I agree with the notion that Kessel is better than any top 10 pick. To be honest, I dont believe that the leafs will get a top 10 pick. I think that if we miss the playoffs this season, it will be once again by less than 5 points. That being said, the best scenerio in the draft would be high single digit draft(7, 8, 9.) and Kessel will prove to be a better addition than any one of those picks IMO.

I believe that if a trade is made now, it will be draft picks and possibly a prospect. I don't see us trading any of our roster players projected for this season and Boston does not have the need for a defenseman with the addition of Morris.

Overall, I like Kessel and would LOVE to see him in the blue and white. Hey! who knows? we could use him to lure Marc Savard in free agency and BAM! we have a nice looking first line.

Kessel-Savard-Kadri

^ Really like the idea of that line.
Savard apparently wants to resign with Boston:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...eer-in-boston/

Quote:
Savard: "I want to finish my career in Boston".

Old
09-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I heared on TSN this morning that Boston would want our 2010 1st round pick and 2011 1st round as well as a 2010 2nd rounder

if we try and offer him a contract they would simply match

my question is, if this is true. are you all willing to give up two 1st round picks to get him?

Old
09-09-2009, 11:57 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I heared on TSN this morning that Boston would want our 2010 1st round pick and 2011 1st round as well as a 2010 2nd rounder

my question is, if this is true. are you all willing to give up two 1st round picks to get him?
NO! too much then.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I don't think Schenn will be going anywhere but as I stated above it'll take a lot, to get both of them and the price may be too high.

I would just put in the offer sheet and take our chances Boston won't match, then if Savard is available next year as a UFA make an offer.
How is Toronto going to offer Kessel $5 mill + per year which it will take to sign him and not have their own cap nightmares?? wont they then be over it too?? Chirelli has ZERO urgency since kessel is out till December anyway.. He is calling burkes bluff.. burke needs outgoing salary to fit kessel into the cap not an outgoing 1,2,3..

Old
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
alienanton*

Quote:

hell ya, **** picks. we're talking about 21 year old phil kessel.

its clear we're retooling rather than rebuilding, so why waste our time waiting for draft picks to turn out when we could have one of the best sub 25 year olds in the league.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Budsfan

Quote:

In a word No

Just use the offer sheet and 1st, 2nd and 3rd would be the offer, they could match the offer but may not, if they did, it would cause a domino effect and another player would have to go, or at least be send down to relieve cap.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
He got $5 Million a Year for 4 Years and the Salary Cap was a Lot Lower when he signed that contract.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:

That was nothing but idle speculation from Damien Cox. He didn't lead on that he had any insight as to that was what Chiarelli was demanding.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

I've heard that rumour elsewhere as well.

But even if BB does tender an Offer Sheet, PK still has to sign it.
He's already turned down $4 Million from Boston so BB is probably going to need to offer $5+ Per Year to get PK to sign an Offer Sheet.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Swissleaf13

Send a message via ICQ to Swissleaf13
I wanna see how Boston tries to match a 4.5 Million offer for Kessel with about 1 Million salary Cap left.

Fact is; For a reasonable price I would be really excited to get Kessel. And A 1st, 2nd and 3rd Round Pick is in my opinion absolutly a reasonable price.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
How is Toronto going to offer Kessel $5 mill + per year which it will take to sign him and not have their own cap nightmares?? wont they then be over it too?? Chirelli has ZERO urgency since kessel is out till December anyway.. He is calling burkes bluff.. burke needs outgoing salary to fit kessel into the cap not an outgoing 1,2,3..
We are under the cap by about 6 million, so we could do it but your right, we would have little wiggle room but as others have pointed out ,players could be sent down and there are other options, maybe even a trade, like White for a second, that evidently was offered and turned down.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissleaf13 View Post
I wanna see how Boston tries to match a 4.5 Million offer for Kessel with about 1 Million salary Cap left.
Fact is; For a reasonable price I would be really excited to get Kessel. And A 1st, 2nd and 3rd Round Pick is in my opinion absolutly a reasonable price.
That would depend on when the Offer Sheet is made as teams can go Over the Cap by 10% in the off season.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
The Messenger

Quote:

Well if we are willing to get him via an offer sheet which would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd then we are swapping a 3rd in 2010 for a 1st in 2011.

I think it is awfully close, perhaps make the 1st in 2010 top 5 protected but I would take a very hard look at it.

Edit: just read it was from Damien Cox, forget it, there is no truth to it.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Don't worry, I appreciate your insight.

I was just echoing Berger's speculation, and upon further review it does look pretty baseless. I don't think Ryder has negative value, but I think he could be had for less than what a 27 goal scorer would usually cost given his salary, and Boston's cap problems.
I would agree to that only if Kessel remains a Bruin. If not, he is their only proven sniper on the current roster, and like I mentioned the second RW behind Kessel.

Boston couldn't afford to lose their two best goal scorers and still hope to complete. Hell, I don't think they can lose their best goal scoring talent in Kessel and still hope to compete... but a love for finesse skill players isn't always popular in this fanbase.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
That was nothing but idle speculation from Damien Cox. He didn't lead on that he had any insight as to that was what Chiarelli was demanding.
While thats true, the question still remains

would you trade two 1st round picks + one 2nd round pick for Kessel?

or does it become to unreasonable at that point?

Old
09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
EazyB97

Doubt it's true, but I would only trade the two first rounders if they had alot of protection.

2010 first (top 15 protected)
2011 (top 10 protected)

Old
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Depends on how close those picks are to number 1 or number 30. Could be an over payment and could be an underpayment.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I would agree to that only if Kessel remains a Bruin. If not, he is their only proven sniper on the current roster, and like I mentioned the second RW behind Kessel.

Boston couldn't afford to lose their two best goal scorers and still hope to complete. Hell, I don't think they can lose their best goal scoring talent in Kessel and still hope to compete... but a love for finesse skill players isn't always popular in this fanbase.
Good points, I agree.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

I think the Bruins should ask for Lee Stempniak (age 26 & 1 year at $2.5 mil) as part of a trade.

Stemp scored 27 goals a season a few years ago as Dougie Weight as his center and with him replacing Kessel on Savard's line he might very well repeat that performance and really help in the loss of lost goals.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:

To me, Kessel is worth probably more than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Two first round picks and one 2nd is stretching it too far IMO, but the protection scenario coined by Eazy would be a decent compromise. However, if I can't work out a different trade with Chia, I'd go the offersheet route and take my chances. The worst that can happen then is having a divisional rival in even more cap hell.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:40 PM
MrLegend28

i have a question i've thought of. Could Burke do this?

Boston says they're gonna match any offer Toronto makes. But when the season starts, they can't. Since you cannot go over the hard cap. So, the Leafs wait til October (since Kessels out til December anyways) and makes a RFA bid then? Boston is tied up, can't trade quickly/drop valuable players to waiver, and the Leafs get Kessel at a price above the cap of Boston

Is this possible?

Closed Thread