HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2009, 09:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Did you watch the last two seasons? Richards line was always out there against the Crosby's, etc of hockey. If he wasn't supposed to be "shutting down" the oppositions top scorers, then who was?
Yes, did you notice that he played on the 1st line the last two season? No shyt he is going to be against Crosby and other top lines, thats what most first lines do. What about midseason when the Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line started out the game against other teams first lines?

I agree he is a shutdown guy, but not the guy you throw on the third line with random players.

Old
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yes, did you notice that he played on the 1st line the last two season? No shyt he is going to be against Crosby and other top lines, thats what most first lines do. What about midseason when the Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line started out the game against other teams first lines?

I agree he is a shutdown guy, but not the guy you throw on the third line with random players.
You haven't noticed by now that line "number" means squat on this team?

And no kidding you dont throw crappy players with him, one or two people propose that. However, Richards IS the type of player than can have a competent yet not overly talented offensive player ride shotgun with him. That's why many people like the idea of Laperierre and Gagne playing with him. All great defensive players and iLap should not hinder their scoring

Old
09-09-2009, 10:00 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Giving Richards Lappy and Powe is like giving your best soldier a slingshot. He might be able to knock out a guy with a rock, but he isn't as good as he can be.

Gagne-Richards-Lappy
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
Powe-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Betts-Asham

Old
09-09-2009, 10:02 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Giving Richards Lappy and Powe is like giving your best soldier a slingshot. He might be able to knock out a guy with a rock, but he isn't as good as he can be.

Gagne-Richards-Lappy
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
Powe-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Betts-Asham
Those are the only lines that make sense, IMO. Only exception being that Carter's right wing slot is open for competition between about 6 guys.

Old
09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Those are the only lines that make sense, IMO. Only exception being that Carter's right wing slot is open for competition between about 6 guys.
True, it depends on Pyorala playing well, and it really is JVR's spot to grab IMHO.

In which case, I'd expect JVR-Carter-Hartnell

Old
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
The thing is, management, I think, doesnt see Richards as a pure shutdown guy like some people on here do. Thats the reason he is still on the first line, and last year played with Gagne and Knuble who, while good at shuting down people, I dont think were put on the first line to do that. Is Richards a shut down guy? Yes. But I dont think management sees him like that. He wont be playing third line.
I'm not saying play him on the "third" line. I'm saying play him with Gagne and whoever you deem an acceptable 3rd member. He will play against the other teams top line, more than likely shut them down, and still produce well offensively. There is no point in having a 3rd line "shutdown line" on this team unless you bring in an elite 3rd liner that doesn't bring much offense. Think Sami Pahlsson or John Madden at their best. Those guys are hard to come by.

I advocated Malhotra at the 3rd line C spot for a while because I wanted a true checking line but when I think about it...when we are playing Pittsburgh I want Richards against Crosby and Carter against Malkin and nothing else.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm not saying play him on the "third" line. I'm saying play him with Gagne and whoever you deem an acceptable 3rd member. He will play against the other teams top line, more than likely shut them down, and still produce well offensively. There is no point in having a 3rd line "shutdown line" on this team unless you bring in an elite 3rd liner that doesn't bring much offense. Think Sami Pahlsson or John Madden at their best. Those guys are hard to come by.

I advocated Malhotra at the 3rd line C spot for a while because I wanted a true checking line but when I think about it...when we are playing Pittsburgh I want Richards against Crosby and Carter against Malkin and nothing else.
Ahhh true, misunderstood you. I for the most part was argueing against those who want to stick with no-names on the third pairing.

Only thing, I think, that could happen is that if you put someone like Briere or Giroux with Richards and Gagne, I think they could be more of a threat at even strength. I posted stats earlier, but they had even or more even strength points when those three were together then pp points.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I like:

Gagne Richards Lappy
JVR/Maroon Carter Hartnell
Powe Giroux Briere
Carcillo Betts Asham

From all accounts of Pyorola he'd be the perfect 13th guy who can fill in for pretty much anyone who gets injured without totally juggling the lines around. If Bell impresses which I highly doubt he will, then he displaces the rookies on Carters line. It leaves Powe, Giroux and Briere together which I think they should be, gives us one heck of great 4th line and all 3 could play on the third line if called upon. If JVR or Maroon are not ready yet then maybe Bell or Nodl or Pyorola get the spot. It doesn't necessarily make them a 2nd liner, just a top 9.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I was under the Impression that Pyro will have a spot in the bottom 6.

I mean, the way I heard the team talk about him, and guys like Meltzer talk about him, the guy wouldn't leave a decent career in europe just to **** around in the AHL.

I mean, obviously if he plays ****** they'll probably just waive him, but I dont think we can say he will start off in the AHL or the 13th spot.... IMO anyway.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I was under the Impression that Pyro will have a spot in the bottom 6.

I mean, the way I heard the team talk about him, and guys like Meltzer talk about him, the guy wouldn't leave a decent career in europe just to **** around in the AHL.

I mean, obviously if he plays ****** they'll probably just waive him, but I dont think we can say he will start off in the AHL or the 13th spot.... IMO anyway.
To me, he sounds like a good 3rd liner actually. With luck, he will mesh with Carter and Hartnell and solve a lot of problems for us, haha.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Interesting. Look what I found:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...597&feedID=704

Quote:
The only young player from last year assured of remaining on the Flyers’ roster is Claude Giroux. Of course, where he plays in the lineup is anyone’s guess, but based on early scouting, the Flyers plan to put Giroux on right wing to open camp with Scott Hartnell and Jeff Carter.
If that happens, I see Briere with Richards and Gagne.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
If that happens, I see Briere with Richards and Gagne.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,187924

Quote:
Briere has the capability, when healthy, to be more than a point per game player for the Flyers. Coach John Stevens sees him on the wing with Mike Richards and Simon Gagne to start, and there's still a question about whether he can excel away from his natural position in the middle.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Talbetts

Works for me! Does this mean Powe will have to work for a spot? I thought that I read somewhere he was guaranteed a spot this season as well? Oh well, it could definitely be worse. Any way you look at it, we have players that are capable of filling needed roles.

How bout Maroon and JVR? They seem to have a good chance too....

Last edited by Talbetts: 09-09-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 02:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Ahh so we can pretty much expect this:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux

After that though I have no idea..

Old
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Talbetts

Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Pyro/Maroon/JVR/Nodl/Kaspar/Dingle/Bell - Powe - Lappy
Carcillo - Betts - Asham

It will be interesting to see who fills that spot. I guess Pyro, Maroon, and JVR are the front runners? No clue.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Ahh so we can pretty much expect this:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux

After that though I have no idea..

3rd line of Pyorala-Powe-Lapperiere(whoever is better at faceoffs takes it), and we hope they can all pop in at least 10 goals

4th line of Carcillo-Betts-Asham

Old
09-09-2009, 02:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
3rd line of Pyorala-Powe-Lapperiere(whoever is better at faceoffs takes it)

Thats not that bad. I think they expect Gagne-Richards-Briere to put up more even strength points this year. That third line could be a good checking line, while putting up some points.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
3rd line of Pyorala-Powe-Lapperiere(whoever is better at faceoffs takes it), and we hope they can all pop in at least 10 goals

If that happens, i give that 3rd line 10 games before we are back to 3 scoring lines

Old
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
If that happens, i give that 3rd line 10 games before we are back to 3 scoring lines
What would you prefer? Not calling you out or anything, just wondering....

Would you like something totally different or give JVR/Maroon a shot there?

Old
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27272727 View Post

If you read above I am not in favor of stacking our top 6 and then assembling a bottom 6 of good but not outstanding role players. If we have none of our 6 big guns on the 3rd line I believe that line is going to get abused at even strength. We do have good complementary defensive type bottom 6 players in Powe, Laperierre, Asham, and perhaps Carcillo, Pyorala, Betts, or any of the other guys that are at camp, but we do not have 2 or even 1 players beyond our best 6 forwards that can be relied on to check other teams top lines without some help (ie John Madden or Pahlson).

Offensively you arent going to get squat out of a line assembled with these guys, so the only purpose of that line is to check. Can anyone here tell me with a straight face that they trust a line assembled of any 3 of those guys to check Malkin, Crosby, Gaborik, Elias, Parise, etc? If you have one of your top 3 lines without any offensive ability it better be able to check well and that is a major question mark if the team is assembled that way.

How i would do it:
Hartnell - Carter - open spot (both guys had career years last year, should be able to carry a hard working type who earned his spot in camp)
Powe - Giroux - Briere (hot line from end of last year, can score and has 2 players that compete in their own end)
Gagne - Richards - Laperierre (matched up against the other teams best line like every other season)
Carcillo - Betts - Asham (awesome 4th line, all 3 guys can swing up in the lineup when needed)

Old
09-09-2009, 03:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

I think he wants the pairs:

Gagne-Richards
Hartnell-Carter
Briere-Giroux

They expect Richards-Gagne to put up even strength points and not just PP points.

Old
09-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Kaktus*

I am not 100% how 3rd and 4th lines will look but top 6 forwards should be:
Gagne----Richards-Briere
Hartnell---Carter--Giroux

Asham and Lapperiere have their spots for sure but after that? Betts, Powe, Carcillo, Pyorala, Kaspar, Kalinski, Nodl, Ross or even Bell or who knows maybe JVR or Maroon. I say they fight for it. All of them.

It would be nice if Kaspar finally prove something. This is his last chance and Flyers could really use 3rd line RW with size, same goes for Bell.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 03:14 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
To me, he sounds like a good 3rd liner actually. With luck, he will mesh with Carter and Hartnell and solve a lot of problems for us, haha.
On the one hand I too think he'll be just about a sure thing on the bottom 6, but on the other hand there are so many bottom 6 guys coming to camp that I wonder if he may start out as the 13th. We'll see I guess. I really want to see him succeed. I love his u tube clips and like late bloomer kinds of guys that made their mark by starting out as 2 way players.

To enter into the Powe discussion that was simply one reporters opinion that Powe isn't guaranteed a spot. I think unless he dishes out a real loser of a camp he's in for sure. Stevens himself has said in at least 2 interviews he sees an increased role for Powe. Personally I'll be shocked if he isn't 3rd line. I don't even see him as a 4th liner anymore.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Gagne - Richards - Briere
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Pyro/Maroon/JVR/Nodl/Kaspar/Dingle/Bell - Powe - Lappy
Carcillo/Cote/Klotz/Matsumoto - Betts - Asham

It will be interesting to see who fills that spot. I guess Pyro, Maroon, and JVR are the front runners? No clue.
did we miss anyone?

actually, i think we have too many left wingers?

Old
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
mypunkrock

Gagne - Richards - Pyorala
Hartnell - Carter - Powe
Lappy5000 - Giroux - Briere
Carcillo - Betts - Asham

I don't see why Pyorala can't play a top spot. That first line is a very good scoring, two way line. Carter's line bangs bodies like no one's business and is also defensively responsible. Lappy keeps people honest and serves as a body for Giroux and Briere. The fourth line is a checking line that has good skills (for a fourth line) and could have decent playing time.

Hopefully you guys get to see some awesome things at camp, whereas some of us are stuck across the nation.

Regards,
Rick

Closed Thread