HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preview of Islanders - #28

Old
09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
NeverGoingToWin

vCash: 500
Preview of Islanders - #28

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=289823

Last edited by Homeland Security: 09-03-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added prefix
NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:10 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
2008-09: 26-47-9 (15th in the West – Out of Playoffs)

I know we were dead last, but Im guessing thats a mistake...

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 100
haha i noticed that too

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
mitchy22

Any idiot could have written that preview and one probably did.

Not that it's easy to disagree with where they expect us to finish but they didn't even mention our defense once in the article other than Mark Streit leading the team in scoring.

They also might have thought it prudent to mention that many of our more productive players lost considerable time due to injury.

They possibly could have considered that our goalies were drastically inconsistent last year and that led to many ups and downs during the season (along with the injuries on defense.)

Any preview of this season should come with a reasonable review of the reasons for success and/or failure from the previous season.

That said, I don't really expect much from these previews considering where our team finished last season or much attention to be paid to the details of why we failed either.

This team's success or lack thereof will again be completely reliant on its younger players' ability to produce, the defense remaining completely healthy and above average performance in goal. The same exact thing we required last year. The only differences are that we have better reassurances in goal, another high end prospect expected to get major ice-time, our major prospects from last season are a year older and the probability that it should be pretty hard to replicate all of the injuries we suffered last season on defense.

If this team stays healthy and can score 15-20 more goals they'll be much better than expected. If they don't I think we'll finish bottom-10 and will stick around much longer due to slightly better scoring and better depth in goal. I don't expect us to be nearly as bad as last season unless injuries yet again crush our defense which can't afford a top-4 injury.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
JKP

They also don't mention the ridiculously high man-games lost. Not saying we're a playoff team healthy, but they probably aren't a last place team if they didn't have so many injuries last year.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
StuDog

you would think mark streit would be listed as a fantasy pick on D.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:21 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

Cant say im surprised by this. This summer I have thought that PHX, COL and us are the three worst teams in the league (on paper obviously) and TSN's initial power rankings seem to support that. As much as I think well take steps forward this year I just cant make an argument that we are better than about 27 teams in the league. Alot of the teams arounf us in last years standings have gotten better (Tampa, LA). Sadly I think by March the biggest race we will be in is with COL and PHX for the top pick. Just one guy's opinion.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 01:01 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Prognosticators once had the Isles booked for a 15th place finish, and guess what, they nabbed the 8th spot. Thus, I'm not surprised; read a few other forecasters and status quo.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 02:06 AM
TeamKidd

honestly guys, this preview was pretty spot on in my estimation. sure they didnt talk about the man games lost to injury or what have you, but the reality is, even with those guys in the lineup, we still pretty much stink. could we be better than the forecast? sure....couldnt be worse, i suppose.

IF okposo and tavares have some chemistry...IF bailey emerges...IF jonesuu and tambellini contribute....IF the goaltending holds.....IF someone other than mark streit look any good on D....we MIGHT fight for a playoff spot....but thats a whole lot of ifs....

TeamKidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

Im not saying that a 8-10 place finish is 100% impossible I just think its very unlikely.

As grim as it is, this is how I see things.

Last years non playoff teams:

30 Isles
29 TB
28 Colorado
27 Atlanta
26 LA
25 PHX
24 Toronto
23 Dallas
22 Ottawa
21 Edmonton
20 Nashville
19 Minnesota
18 Buffalo
14 Florida

Are we really better than many of these teams? Tampa has clearly gotten better as has LA. Atlanta has made a few additions and were also looking much better at the end of the season.

We were better in March but were 1-6 in April (beating only Tampa). I really think that COL, PHX and us are the weakest 3 on paper.

I think a darkhorse for a big drop is Florida for what its worth.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
If this team stays healthy and can score 15-20 more goals they'll be much better than expected. If they don't I think we'll finish bottom-10 and will stick around much longer due to slightly better scoring and better depth in goal. I don't expect us to be nearly as bad as last season unless injuries yet again crush our defense which can't afford a top-4 injury.
Mitchy -

I think the stuff about last year might be relevant... But it might also be relevant to note how much better the competition has gotten. The only team in the Atlantic that appears to have regressed (on paper, of course, but that's all we have to go on) is the Devils. And they always seem to find a way to replace the kinds of guys they lost (Gionta, Madden).

The Flyers, despite their goaltending, seem the most difficult team to play against in the NHL. I mean, Carter, Richards, Giroux, Briere (should be healthier), Gagne, Coburn, Hartnell, PRONGER. Jeez. That's a lot of pains in the toochis.

The Penguins young stars are all still on the upside of their careers, a potential dynasty.

The Rangers added Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, and Gaborik. They lose Gomez, but Dubinsky is on the upswing. Staal is one step closer to stardom... I think they'll be better than last year. They've certainly addressed the power play. Everything obviously changes if Lundqvist gets hurt. But you can't assume that.

In fact, I think 4 of the top 6 teams in the Eastern Conference (with Washington and Carolina) play in the Atlantic (I think the Northeast kinda stinks). And the Isles will play those teams a lot.

You can't include all this stuff in the Isles preview, yet all of it is as relevant as last year's injuries.

I thought they were dead on in telling the NHL fan what they needed to know. Maybe they could've taken a few deserved shots at our shoddy defense, but are you upset that they refrained?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Mitchy -

I think the stuff about last year might be relevant... But it might also be relevant to note how much better the competition has gotten. The only team in the Atlantic that appears to have regressed (on paper, of course, but that's all we have to go on) is the Devils. And they always seem to find a way to replace the kinds of guys they lost (Gionta, Madden).

The Flyers, despite their goaltending, seem the most difficult team to play against in the NHL. I mean, Carter, Richards, Giroux, Briere (should be healthier), Gagne, Coburn, Hartnell, PRONGER. Jeez. That's a lot of pains in the toochis.

The Penguins young stars are all still on the upside of their careers, a potential dynasty.

The Rangers added Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, and Gaborik. They lose Gomez, but Dubinsky is on the upswing. Staal is one step closer to stardom... I think they'll be better than last year. They've certainly addressed the power play. Everything obviously changes if Lundqvist gets hurt. But you can't assume that.

In fact, I think 4 of the top 6 teams in the Eastern Conference (with Washington and Carolina) play in the Atlantic (I think the Northeast kinda stinks). And the Isles will play those teams a lot.

You can't include all this stuff in the Isles preview, yet all of it is as relevant as last year's injuries.

I thought they were dead on in telling the NHL fan what they needed to know. Maybe they could've taken a few deserved shots at our shoddy defense, but are you upset that they refrained?

Cheers,

Dan-o
It's just not a good preview, it barely mentions any of our significant players or the reasons for our failures last season. It doesn't even mention how the other teams in our division improved.

They mention "DiPietro's umpteeth knee injury" and Wang threatening to move the team to KC but obviously neither situation is that simple. They talk up Tavares which is to be expected but mention Okposo briefly in passing (finishing a distant 2nd in with 39 points, but not taking a look as to how he scored those points.) They're not going to consider Bailey coming in at a larger size which was his major shortcoming last season.

They mention a lack of "NHL talent" on the forward unit but that's not really the case. The Islanders have talent that is developing it's more a question of when it develops than if there is talent there and a reasonable preview would discuss the chances of that happening this season instead of "this could happen at some point in the future."

I mentioned it's hard to argue with bottom feeding predictions considering our season last year but this preview really wasn't worth reading. Not having Kyle Okposo as a player to watch or a fantasy pick pretty much shows the lack of investigation into the Islanders.

My main argument with the preview is that anyone could have written it without much effort. They also called us "New York's other team" which is funny considering there's also the Sabres people seem to forget about and the Rangers haven't done much to push us into some kind of shadow either...yes they could have meant New York City, but they probably didn't, and Long Island is still its own place with plenty of population.

I'm not really angry about the preview by the way so I hope either of my posts didn't come off that way, I could see the tone certainly being interpreted that way, it's just a simple matter of fact with me. The article wasn't much worth reading, and quite frankly "any idiot" could have written it because it really didn't dwell deep at all into why the team should perform a certain way this season.

Had they mentioned the improvement of teams within our division, the multiple man-games we lost from key players on top of DiPietro and the uncertainty of how our young players will deal with the pressure I could have given them some credit. Had they mentioned our defense is still one major injury away from major question marks and that improved goaltending should help with consistency but most likely can't makeup for a lack of NHL ready depth on defense I could have given them credit. But I'm not going to give them credit because they failed to mention much of our failure last season or how it will or won't translate this season and ignored our best player down the stretch except by mentioning him in passing.

Is #28 fair? Sure, we finished dead last this past season, that's the part I'm not expecting to improve in most previews. What I do expect is a higher level of investigation as to why these things have happened and may or may not continue to happen in a preview for it to be a legitimate piece worth reading.

So that's my dissent. And again, it's still my dissent of a free online preview of our last place team so it's not like I'm surprised at what I read, but I figured this would be a pretty good place to offer up my disappointment in its quality.

Mitch

Old
09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Not that it's easy to disagree with where they expect us to finish but they didn't even mention our defense once in the article other than Mark Streit leading the team in scoring.
That could have been because they have one NHL-level defenseman on the roster. Just saying.

Last edited by hgo: 09-07-2009 at 11:00 AM.
hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
That could have been because the have one NHL-level defenseman on the roster. Just saying.
That's my point, they could have mentioned that in one sentence just like you did. It's not like they weren't taking shots at the team, they may as well have done a bit more investigation and aimed better.

Mitch

Old
09-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsComeau57 View Post
I think a darkhorse for a big drop is Florida for what its worth.
I absolutely agree. This is just what I was thinking...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
TheBoss22

The Team1040 will do their review of NHL teams - bottom to top.

Yesterday was PHX and COL.

Today they will cover NYI and ATL

Since they are based in Vancouver I'm sure they'll mention the usual (Tavares / No forward FA / DP Injury), but it's sometimes a good laugh to listen to the uninformed.

http://www.team1040.ca/player/

It should happen somtime this hour (11am PST).

It will start after the commercial break. I'll update w/what they say for those who missed it.

Jeff Klein at NY Times is interviewed. Mentions the following:
-JT has plenty of buzz on LI but relatively no buzz elsewhere.
-There is a strong Isles fanbase under the rader (as per the strong showing at the Draft Party)
-DP seems far from playing... Isles are stocking up on goalies which would suggest DP won't be around for long (his assumption).
-Wang is fully backing up his coaching staff especially now that Gordon made it on the USA squad (air of credibility)
- Mystery on who JT's linemates will be. Perhaps a "Kid Line"
- mentions LHP, what's it about, the issues facing it. ETC

As I thought... Nothing new...

The Team1040 was better off interviewing Botta or Strang.

Last edited by TheBoss22: 09-09-2009 at 02:45 PM.
TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote