HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

TSN has Tampa ranked 27th for this year

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2009, 05:33 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You will have an awesome head coach to start the season, instead of the biggest moron/worst hiring in recent NHL history. Stamkos is a year older. Hedman has arrived. Ohlund, while quickly declining, is still an upgrade in overall depth. Injuries aside, Tanguay should be a big step up on Prospal. Speaking of injuries, hopefully you'll have a healthy goaltender. It's a dumb ranking.

Atlanta's ranking isn't any better. They've lost nobody but added Antropov and Kubina, with young stars Little and Bogosian having more experience under their belts. They'll be a better team.

Phoenix finishing dead last is possible. However, I think so many things will have to go wrong for that to happen. Just as many things as it would take to go right for them to make the playoffs. For now, we appear to be stuck with Wayne Gretzky has head coach. That's a bummer. The ownership drama will likely drag on and on. However, guys like Mueller, Hanzal, Boedker, Turris, Tikhonov, and Yandle are all a year older, and all now have some experience to work with. Also, post-deadline, the team looked totally new and refreshed. Gone were the cancerous Jokinen and Carcillo, in was the hustle and hard work of guys like Lombardi(who scored at a better rate than Olli), Upshall(eight goals in nineteen games), and Prucha. The team was fifth in the west before the all-star break, last year. They collapsed do to youth, lack of experience, and a lousy coaching staff.
Is Ohlund really quickly declining? I'm sincerely asking - I don't have center ice and saw him maybe five times last year.

That Tikhonov is something, too. I really like that kid.

Old
09-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Is Ohlund really quickly declining? I'm sincerely asking - I don't have center ice and saw him maybe five times last year.

That Tikhonov is something, too. I really like that kid.
Yeah. There's a reason no Vancouver fans wanted him back even though he was nearly a historic player for them. His injuries are catching up and he's slowed down a ton. Half of last year it was like watching him skate through mud. Pretty similar to the Naslund case the year before.

I think he should still be at least a #4 for you guys for most of his contract (#3 this year and probably the next), and I'm guessing it's structured so that he retires after 4/5 years, so there shouldn't be a cap disaster with him. And he's still a warrior and should rub off well on Hedman.

Old
09-07-2009, 02:30 AM
garmonbozia

I see a healthy chunk of canucks games each year for the past decade. I firmly believe his declination is overstated by most who argue that point at all. He is still a very solid top 4 NHL Defenseman. At his salary, for the rest of his career, he is even a bargain.

That said, there has been a change for the worse. Honestly though I view it more as a pre vs post lockout thing. He hasn't been the player he was prior to the stoppage since. Whether its conditioning or footspeed or some mental aspect who knows, but, he never regained the Elite level of play he was maintaining prior to the cancelled season. The Canucks as a team went through a deterioration and minor rebuild since the lockout as well and his career since kind of mirrors that of the team as a whole.

As far as injuries go, he's had some but its hardly seasonaly routine (unlike say, Sami Salo). I may be mistaken but I think Ohlund played all 82 games last year. He does indeed take more penalties from stickwork trying to compensate versus faster opponents, but he also plays a much smarter overall game and is still worth ahving out there versus those same fast opponents. He is a leader. He is a battler. He should do just fine filling the role most of us expect him to in Tampa.

Old
09-07-2009, 11:47 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm, frankly, in the camp of people that think even if he isn't top four, its okay, just teach Hedman what to do and what not to do. Get this kid on the fast track for success.

Old
09-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I'm, frankly, in the camp of people that think even if he isn't top four, its okay, just teach Hedman what to do and what not to do. Get this kid on the fast track for success.
Thats what I'm thinking. If he just does that the signing is worth it. HOpefully he just decides to hang his skates up in a couple of years after his job here is done. Then trade for Omark from edm and we will have the swedish connection here We see alot of teams doing it with russians, we mise well do it with the sweds lol.

Old
09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Yeah. There's a reason no Vancouver fans wanted him back even though he was nearly a historic player for them. His injuries are catching up and he's slowed down a ton. Half of last year it was like watching him skate through mud. Pretty similar to the Naslund case the year before.

I think he should still be at least a #4 for you guys for most of his contract (#3 this year and probably the next), and I'm guessing it's structured so that he retires after 4/5 years, so there shouldn't be a cap disaster with him. And he's still a warrior and should rub off well on Hedman.
Doesn't matter how good Ohlund is now, all that matters is how good he once was. He will have tons of good advice for Hedman (they play a similar enough game) to help develop him into the defenceman we all know he will be. Tampa isn't expecting him to get 50 points, they are expecting him to help out Hedman and overall help their defense. Mark my words - he will do just that.

Old
09-08-2009, 03:56 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Far be it of me to bring a thread back on topic but I just wanted to add the following:

**** TSN. I wouldn't give a **** if they ranked us 40th. It comes down to two things for the Lightning this season:
1) Goaltending (which ******* TSN didn't even mention). If Smith can stay healthy and play like he did most of the time last year with a ******, beat up blueline, then we will be a better team. And...
2) Defense. If they can stay healthy they are a better unit than last season. Add Ohland and Hedman (assuming he is ready) and we are much better.

If these two things happen I can honestly see us competing for a playoff spot. I'm not worried about the offense, they'll score goals. It's from the red line back that concerns me still.

Old
09-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

They are improved. The real question is how much more improved? They should be fun to watch. Their problem was defense and goaltending. They stabilized the "D", and goaltending was okay. The key is to not get bit by the injury bug.

09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Vitto79

is 30 teams in 30 days really what they think they will finish?

if so I am sure they are wrong on many

Old
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
is 30 teams in 30 days really what they think they will finish?

if so I am sure they are wrong on many

No, I don't believe so. I think there just covering all 30 teams in 30 days in no particular order.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
They are improved. The real question is how much more improved? They should be fun to watch. Their problem was defense and goaltending. They stabilized the "D", and goaltending was okay. The key is to not get bit by the injury bug.
Goaltending wasn't an issue until Smiths injury. He was pretty lights out before that.

Closed Thread